Outbreak Company: The funniest anime you haven't watched!

babiker

So yeah... Finished watching Outbreak Company and man, what a ride. I honestly didn't expect this anime to be this good. I went in expecting an average comedy, but no, it was far above average! I'd give it a 8/10 in the least, and a 9.5/10 to be fair. I wont go into what it's about as that's why we have MAL, but I'll say this: Imagine oriemo, with all its anime/otaku references. Now give it a fantasy setting, take away the annoying sister and replace her with an awesome character, (and ofc, no incest), and you have a pretty good idea of what this anime is.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19369/Outbreak_Company

And, as the big fan I am, I made this small video about it. With the orgasmic voice of Tiagofvarela ;). (lyrics in the MAL page)

I wish it had a season 2... Or at least more episodes...

Ended up dropping it, they focused the anime on different things than I wanted. Too many scenes with those girls, if there was some in-depth world building and things that make the setting interesting I might have enjoyed it. Was pretty bland, in my opinion. Might have gotten better after I dropped it, but that's unlikely. Then again, it's not because the anime was bad- just wasn't my thing.

i saw this series from start to end, i liked it but it felt empty by the end. there's so much more that could have been done with the setup they had, and they kinda squandered the opportunity with to much attention on the love triangle. the concept was great and the comedy was decently written, character designs were good. but the ignored plot, lack of world building and just overall directionless feeling that it gave detracted from what it could have been. the good outnumbered the flaws and this is why i gave it a 7 on mal . id watch if a second season came out but id seriously hope they focus on showing us the setting more and move away from the old tired love triangle jokes and drama , its been done to death and frankly it felt forced and unneeded. personally this is one of those series that if there is ever a translation of the source material id rather read that then watch the anime adaption.

Ended up dropping it, they focused the anime on different things than I wanted. Too many scenes with those girls, if there was some in-depth world building and things that make the setting interesting I might have enjoyed it. Was pretty bland, in my opinion. Might have gotten better after I dropped it, but that's unlikely. Then again, it's not because the anime was bad- just wasn't my thing.

It was an alright anime but I didn't think it was the funniest/best show I've ever watched.

I didn't think it was boring though as I pretty much marathoned it without having to force myself to do it.

In terms of content it's a pretty shallow show I'd have to say, there's 2 main girls, one is a really annoying tsundere, the other was a pretty cute maid, the rest are all minor characters, that one dog girl included, and then it's just mediocre comedy with references and some otaku culture stereotypes that we've seen soooo many times.

The plot half assedly turned "dark" and I didn't like the way they handled it where conflict never started and was solved right before it began. Maybe it's just me but if you're going to give the bad news, show some of the bad stuff happening to add some tension.

I get the show was never meant to be dark, but then there was no need for the stupid attempts at giving us an antagonist of sorts if they never intended for it to get bad.

I appreciated some of the jokes and depictions of archtypes but they were really no different than what some other shows do in my opinion, they didn't explore nearly as enough as they could have, they just touched the tip of the iceberg.

Petrarca had really annoying moments sometimes with her tsundereness, i guess it was a miss this time for the tsundere arch type.

And in the end I feel like the conclusion to the whole thing could have come way earlier than it actually did.

My overall rating for this was 7/10

I was not bored, I liked Myuser quite a lot and the otaku stuff had some high moments, but nowhere near "greatest show of all time" level.

Well, I suppose since the discussion has reached this level, it is high time I spilled the beans about why I REAAAAALLY like this anime. It's mostly cultural/personal reasons though, But I might as well share them.

You see, I live in a country where the situation is almost an exact copy/paste of that fantasy kingdom (#Saudi Arabia. We even still have a king, who controls all, but he's not nearly as cute as Petrarca xD). This place has been facing the exact same problem of culture invasion, as most of the world is kinda facing it, for quite a long time, but what makes this country different, is that it chose not to accept Western culture in all of its shapes and its sizes. Not only the cultural stuff, even the normal stuff, like Western technology, has been sealed from entering for a very long time indeed. Of course, this choice had proven how pathetic it was about two decades ago, and the country has been slowly opening up since, but they paid the price for this by realizing they were now almost a century behind all the developed Nations.

But what did another country decide to do? A country I respect very much indeed for its choice. That's right, its Japan! Rather than strongly rejecting Western ideas, or completely giving up to them, they decided to only take what is necessary, and learn how to make it themselves. THAT'S why we now have Toyota, Toshiba, Manga, Anime, VNs, and all the rest of the uncountable Japanese goodies we enjoy. Rather than fighting guns with sticks, they made their own guns and fought back. 

And that's exactly what the protagonist in Outbreak Company did at the end, he asked the kingdom to start making their own Manga, Anime and what not. To spread their own culture through modern media, rather than rely on other people to do that for them

Me, and many other people like me, wish to do the same for our country. To not have to rely on neither the West nor the East for basic stuff like entertainment, but on ourselves. That's one of the main reasons why I wan't to become VN developer :D

... So, yeah... I suppose I saw this show way deeper than it was . The fact that I got so emotionally involved with it made the jokes more funnier, the characters cooler, and the flaws out of sight. But I suppose it was only me he saw this deeply into a comedy anime :P

I like Saudia Arabia because it inspired Disney to make Aladdin, and the Japanese to write Magi: The Magical Kingdom! 

You're thinking, "well that's all you care about us."

Well, they also taught me to drink beer warm instead of cold. You see, we had US military return from there and because they couldn't drink within the borders, they had to do so in camps outside Saudia Arabia without refrigerators or ice. 

Seriously though, beyond Otaku culture, would you be willing to live the average salary man's life over there? Suicide rate is pretty high... The cost of living an industrial life influenced by the West comes with more stress and isolation from the community.