Is One Piece good and if so, what is good about it?

Chewy

People keep tellin me to watch one piece but im not sure if it good enough for me to watch or just a waste of 600 or so episodes. Advice?

I like it quite a bit.  I'm watching it dubbed though but I read enough to know most of what will happen.  Its not a masterpiece and you definitely won't find every minute of it to be epic but if you are a fan of Shonen manga and anime you will probably like it.  That also means however that things like romance will not even be present.  My suggestion would be to try the first season if you're interested (which is the first 50 some episodes and what I still think is by far the best) and go from there.  If you do like it, you can skip the filler episodes and that will probably cut around 100 episodes out. 

So in short, I watch it not because it is a masterpiece but because I enjoy it.  

One piece is a very good Shonen manga.

If you like to read manga I'd highy suggest reading it rather than watching it for several reasons.

1) Anime adaptions are crap

2) They turn a well paced manga into an avergage shonen show with pointless talking, useless episodes, bad animation and graphics.

3) Reading the manga is faster.

What I personally like about One piece is the HUGE backstory.

Things get interesting pretty quickly, it's funny and sometimes serious.

But yeah, read the manga rather than watching the anime.

I personally love OP. It is one of my all time favorites. Yes it is a lot of episodes and the art is somewhat mediocre but it is a ongoing anime since 1999. So if you can watch anime with decent animation (remember the quality 14 years ago) I would say it is something you should watch, why?

Before you continue reading. Read the manga if you don't got enough time. You should like or at least watched some other shonen (Fairy Tail, Naruto, DBZ or Bleach as example) and enjoyed it otherwise I don't think you can enjoy OP.

1. An epic story which in my case gives me goosebumps now and then, and still does. I personally think the world and settings are interesting enough to keep me entertained. You never cease to be surprised sometimes. And the world is HUGE.

2. The fights. I think the fights are some of the best. Yes the "friendship overcome everything" is pretty cliche but if you can tolerate that you will enjoy it. 

3. A shonen with the friendship and setbacks it can be. I think OP got a decent development of the characters too. 

4. The characters. You actually become one with them. You feel what they do and gets moved by it.

5. The belief that dreams can come true no matter what. And Heart!

Maybe a bit too much fanboy although I don't consider myself one.

I personally love OP. It is one of my all time favorites. Yes it is a lot of episodes and the art is somewhat mediocre but it is a ongoing anime since 1999. So if you can watch anime with decent animation (remember the quality 14 years ago) I would say it is something you should watch, why?

Before you continue reading. Read the manga if you don't got enough time. You should like or at least watched some other shonen (Fairy Tail, Naruto, DBZ or Bleach as example) and enjoyed it otherwise I don't think you can enjoy OP.

1. An epic story which in my case gives me goosebumps now and then, and still does. I personally think the world and settings are interesting enough to keep me entertained. You never cease to be surprised sometimes. And the world is HUGE.

2. The fights. I think the fights are some of the best. Yes the "friendship overcome everything" is pretty cliche but if you can tolerate that you will enjoy it. 

3. A shonen with the friendship and setbacks it can be. I think OP got a decent development of the characters too. 

4. The characters. You actually become one with them. You feel what they do and gets moved by it.

5. The belief that dreams can come true no matter what. And Heart!

Maybe a bit too much fanboy although I don't consider myself one.

Yep sounds like a fan boy but if i did have enough time, is watchin it better or readin it better?

I was a fanboy a long time ago, nowadays I still love it but not that much anymore. Some of the best points of One Piece would be:

- Characters and their histories. Oda is really good when it comes to create charismatic backstories/personalities.

- Lots of critics. You'll be able to relate most of the adversities the characters face with something you've seen or head about in real life. Personally, I think the most brilliant one was around chapter 600 to 650, if you reach that point and think about the whole situation, it's one of the most well done critics I've seen in manga.

- Oda don't say: "Fuck you", to the power level. Well, not often, it did end up happening here and there but in general, if someone is stronger then he will win, the main character after 750 chapters still ain't really a big fish compared to the top tier characters.

I'd say you should read it, it's really fun to see how the drawing improves throughout the series and the beginning of the anime is not that great. On a side note, I did watch some of the really later episodes just because the art, animation and the pace became really good. Basically, read it, the anime only gets close to the manga level a lot later.

One Piece is too long. It's a great gateway anime, but if you're already into anime then I wouldn't recommend it. I managed to get through the first 120 episode before dropping it. There are over 650 One Piece episodes! Considering the amount of episodes you would need to watch just to catch up with the rest of the community it would be quite a drag. On top of that the series is only decent. If you want a great anime that is long then I would recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes instead. It's 110 episodes long, but unlike most anime of such length, everything in Legend of the Galactic Heroes felt like it needed to be there. 

If you really want to experience One Piece though, then read the manga instead. There should be less filler in the manga.

One Piece is too long. It's a great gateway anime, but if you're already into anime then I wouldn't recommend it. I managed to get through the first 120 episode before dropping it. There are over 650 One Piece episodes! Considering the amount of episodes you would need to watch just to catch up with the rest of the community it would be quite a drag. On top of that the series is only decent. If you want a great anime that is long then I would recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes instead. It's 110 episodes long, but unlike most anime of such length, everything in Legend of the Galactic Heroes felt like it needed to be there. 

If you really want to experience One Piece though, then read the manga instead. There should be less filler in the manga.

In my opinion it is easier to catch up on 650 episodes than plow through 30 different animes a la 24 episodes. The fillers of One Piece is pretty decent too if you don't skip them (compared to the all time shitty Naruto fillers, except the Kakashi arc).

In my opinion it is easier to catch up on 650 episodes than plow through 30 different animes a la 24 episodes. The fillers of One Piece is pretty decent too if you don't skip them (compared to the all time shitty Naruto fillers, except the Kakashi arc).

I've never felt the need to watch 30 anime at once, but I could picture that being a difficult task. My watching style is to watch and enjoy one anime at a time. Also, I tend to hate any anime with fillers. Rurouni Kenshin being probably the only exception.

I have had a tradition over the years to rewatch every released episode all over again after every 100 episodes, so I can definitely say it's one of my favorites that has been part of my life for a long time.

What it has:  A good sense of humor, excellent action sequences that keep getting better, unbelievably good character development, and plots that just never manage to disappoint me.

What it doesn't have:  any real sense of romance (if you were looking for that), drama just feels non-existent, and hardly any good filler arcs.

If you want something that you will watch long-term (because it's still got a LOOOONG way to go before it's done), then I recommend watching it.  But if you just want something short-term I wouldn't start it.

If you like shounen, you will prbly like One piece. The anime and manga are both good. Manga is more compressed as you might guess.

I wouldn't really worry about the 600 ep thing really. The series has been in the works for yeaaarrss. Just means more good stuff really, the quality doesn't really go down even after 70% into it or so, atleast in the manga that's where I am now.

Bottom line try it out if you like shounen stuff.

It honestly depends on your preferences.  I would say watch and skip filler but I hardly ever read manga so that's just my POV. 

Neither do i

My watchin speed is like 150 episodes a week at least so its fine at most a month (sometimes 200 eps a week) and yes i dont sleep

My watchin speed is like 150 episodes a week at least so its fine at most a month (sometimes 200 eps a week) and yes i dont sleep

If you go that fast, definitely try the anime then.  You could do the whole East blue arc in a few days and that will be a good indicator if you like it or not. 

May this be you're guide. 

I'd recommend OP because:

• (At this point) Many completed arcs to consume
  • Extensive/Amazing Character Development
  • DEEP FEELS for many of the main characters through extensive back story and pivotal moments

Although I'm a bit behind now, I've read the manga and watch the show.  I'm not the biggest fan of "pirates" in general, but started watching (subs) a few years ago while moving/between jobs.  I was completely (and unexpectedly) sucked in.  It shouldn't take you long to figure out if you'll be into it or not.