Vlad the Impaler

I believe I've found an exciting new VN on Steam, just let me check if it "qualifies."

VNDB requires 3 things to be present before a game is classified a "Visual Novel." Firstly, the game needs to use the novel narrative. Secondly, the story needs to continue uninterrupted for a significant length, and lastly it needs to conform to either the ADV or NVL style.

Well HAPPY DAYS because "Vlad the Impaler" qualifies on all fronts. Isn't that just awesome! So without further ado, let me introduce everybody to this new visual novel on Steam.

ss_88ebb44a5824e98fe343a5a7a4fd500db39d3

ss_f77679b82ee562335ed1b1d1d9262e5849c84

Gorgeous art! It's not anime styled, but that doesn't disqualify it at all in case of such magnificent execution. This is quite exicting, indeed. I'm also rooting for such visual novels to appear on our market; the last thing we miss are games exactly like these, with proper storyline and anime styled graphics. Would make a nearly perfect visual novel.

I'm also a big fan of darker-themed stories, so this is a big thing for me.

btw vlad the impaler actually existed most people know him better as Dracula thought.

he committed pretty gruesome acts of violence on the battlefield thought like the names suggest you know what he did and what he did a lot.

also eating among the corpses of your enemy is totally natural right?

Yep, saw this game about a week ago on Steam.  Didn't particularly want it, but still thought it was pretty cool.  Reminds me of some Flash games I used to play back in the day.

btw vlad the impaler actually existed most people know him better as Dracula thought.

he committed pretty gruesome acts of violence on the battlefield thought like the names suggest you know what he did and what he did a lot.

also eating among the corpses of your enemy is totally natural right?

If I remember correctly, Vlad's preferred method of execution and torture was impaling his enemies on sharpened stakes and leaving them there until they died from either blood loss, heatstroke or dehydration.  Let's just say that was one of the more...tame...ways good ol' Vladdy killed people.  Interestingly enough, he was a member of the Wallachian house of Drăculești.  Wonder where the name Dracula came from, huh? :P

Impaling was a popular method of execution in the East/Middle/Southern Europe back in the days. If you wanted to show you treat your enemies like trash and have no mercy, nevertheless of their position or status, it was the best way to make everyone around you eternally afraid. To cut some misconceptions, impaling was usually done from the bottom, not through the victim, like most people think. Yes, that's right - through butts. It was an excruciatingly painful and slow death, while the victims remained tied to the stake, unable to do anything and left to rot.

What prevented me from buying as soon as I found the game on Steam are the reviews. They aren't anywhere near enthusiastic. The Steam community doesn't seem too fond of VNs, but the criticism is different this time - people are claiming the story to be confusing and the writing to be boring instead of just saying it doesn't have gameplay. So, well, who knows.

This is not uncommon with historical novels. You usually have to have some interest and background info in order to enjoy it. Unless the game is suuuper bad, and I hope its not...

The writing is definitely not great to be honest. Par for the course really. Also it's short. That being said I like the new direction this VN goes in, and thought it would be worth bringing to people's attention in case they want something fresh.

Most people don't like historically accurate games, unless they're like Assassin's Creed, which is to say they're completely inaccurate.  Real history is boring to a lot of people, apparently, and I just don't understand that.