Promote/Advertise a visual novel

Satsuki

Wow, that art is really impressive.  Definitely interested in seeing what you guys can do.  I don't know if I'll be able to back your Kickstarter, but I can at least try the demo and give feedback.  Also, how heartrending of a nakige is it going to be?  I mean, I know nakiges are typically depressing, but any estimation would be nice.  I can take feels, but I dun like being really depressed  D:

I haven't play Grisaia, btw.

In case you're wondering, Grisaia no Kajitsu has a long common route that's pretty much all comedy.  It serves to let the readers get to know the characters really well, considering it's really long.  It also has a protagonist that is the definition of the word "badass".  Grisaia is one of the more popular VNs at Fuwa right now, along with Comyu.

2. That art seems very legit. As Clephas stated, give good character descriptions - starting with a good set of characters will get a lot of people interested in the game. An overarching plot works as well

Sorry to restate what Ren and Clephas said, but really, a well-written, interesting plot summary and character descriptions are pretty much what interest people in VNs at first glace (if it's not a nukige, anyway), just like the summary on the back of a novel.  Half of the VNs on my VNDB list were suggested to me, but for the other half I heard a name, looked it up on VNDB, and read the plot summary.

Can't say anything for sure at the moment, since we still need to edit this and that, but it will kinda follow Key's style, with comedy/slice of life in common and serious in heroine routes (yes, it's a nakige). 

I haven't play Grisaia, btw.

Read Grisaia to get a grasp of why its common route is really good. If you're going to follow Key's style then with all my hopes and the rivers in the world .. please don't create fillers. Key's biggest problems are those "fillers" that drag with no fundamental progression, actual slice of life that relates to something 'normal' or something to laugh at. Grisaia fixes that. Hmmm ... Sachi & Yumiko. Slice of Life, Kimonos. I'm currently uploading a new scene so I'll post it later on.

I'm guessing there's going to be 'miracles' since it's going to be like Key's stuff?

Edit -- Cellphone Gang-Rape P1 and P2. Both should be in 1080p in less than 10 minutes. Enjoy ... and keep your voice down. :P

I'm guessing there's going to be 'miracles' since it's going to be like Key's stuff?

Hmm....don't think so (or at least for now, since the entire script is not done yet)

In case you're wondering, Grisaia no Kajitsu has a long common route that's pretty much all comedy.  It serves to let the readers get to know the characters really well, considering it's really long.  It also has a protagonist that is the definition of the word "badass".  Grisaia is one of the more popular VNs at Fuwa right now, along with Comyu.

If it's like that, then maybe our VN will be quite similar (except for that "long" part, we're only planning to do a 40-50h VN).

Though, we already have in mind a trilogy if the first one succeed (in the farrrr future)

Hmm....don't think so (or at least for now, since the entire script is not done yet)

If it's like that, then maybe our VN will be quite similar (except for that "long" part, we're only planning to do a 40-50h VN).

Though, we already have in mind a trilogy if the first one succeed (in the farrrr future)

If there is some type of miracle, I'd highly suggest it to have some type of symbolism, or be in sync with the overall themes of the route.  It makes the whole thing easier to swallow, in my opinion.  I don't like random deus ex machina plot devices that only serve to advance the story and are only briefly mentioned.  I know I'm not your entire audience, though, and I've never actually written something other than short stories (I'm only an avid reader), so do whatever you think is best ^_^

That seems to be pretty standard, at least with Japanese VNs.  Seems to be a little rarer with OELVNs, so I'm glad to hear you're not planning on making it too short.  And as sequels are concerned, I'm fine with that, just as long as you don't start selling DLC : P  No joke, though, some Steam VNs actually offer DLC.

I reckon a single page would do just fine :). Most people never bother to click around too much, anyway. Just a single page with that awesome trailer that I am sure is being put together, along with some of those nice art. It can make people think the project is "for real", or something. Never hurts to potentially pick up that domain early :).

Yeah, most folks are on the same line of thinking as Mustkill1234, even if they believe otherwise. The too long did not read thing. Most of us just flip through the main page, check out the trailer and make a decision there. It looks like you guys have a higher budget than most indie titles, if you want to refer to yourselves as that at all. With indie games, most of them just have one scrolling page to promote their works. There are probably some templates out there that you can use and just rejig to your liking. Of course, Nayleen is a good option as well :).

Kickstarter is really a bit of a catch 22. To gather money, you first need to pour a lot of money. Unless it is some wildly original concept [Occulus dating sim or something (-u-)], you just need to dump a lot of money into making a pretty trailer. If creators have relative small targets like mine, then you can get away with mostly solo efforts. Otherwise, yeah, $$$$$$$.

Speaking of the campaign, we could talk about what rewards people are most interested in as well? For me, if I am really keen on a project, I go straight to the first reward with physical goods. When I am passionate about something, I want to own something I can hold. Postcards, OST, artbook, physical copy of the game, posters, etc. Those are the common ones. Otherwise, I just pick the option that will get me the game. I never understood the low tier wallpapers etc options that much :P~ Of course, money is an issue for us all :).

Yeah, most folks are on the same line of thinking as Mustkill1234, even if they believe otherwise. The too long did not read thing. Most of us just flip through the main page, check out the trailer and make a decision there. It looks like you guys have a higher budget than most indie titles, if you want to refer to yourselves as that at all. With indie games, most of them just have one scrolling page to promote their works. There are probably some templates out there that you can use and just rejig to your liking. Of course, Nayleen is a good option as well :).

I wanted to give people the impression of "these guys are pro" with the website, but oh well, if you say so~~ 

I would like to, but currently we have no web designer  :(

I have my own website. It's in my signature. I also have my own blog. You probably won't need an amazing website to start off with but rather a blog to keep things posted/updated. If you do a Kickstart project you'll get funding, attention and your designer can update the people who backed the project up every week or a month or something to show what's new. It doesn't have to be the artist only, but rather the musician, writer, etc. Just something I'm throwing out there. From there, you would ask for someone who specializes in creating websites specifically for VNs.

Otherwise, go with how other VNs do it. Top is all links to characters, videos, downloads, specs, etc. Middle is a large, beautiful piece of art (make it a rotating one so whenever the visitors come back again they'll be introduced to something new) and the bottom is ... whatever I guess.

I wanted to give people the impression of "these guys are pro" with the website, but oh well, if you say so~~ 

Well, you can do it too. It is up to you XD. These days, there are just so many other options. Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, many other ways for people to get an overview of your project. If your design is mostly consistent, once you have made a page, turning that into a site would not be that hard, anyway :).

Well, you can do it too. It is up to you XD. These days, there are just so many other options. Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, many other ways for people to get an overview of your project. If your design is mostly consistent, once you have made a page, turning that into a site would not be that hard, anyway :).

^ Pretty much it.

For the Kickstart project to be successful, you want it to catch a lot of attention. Obviously, your artist, writer and music composer will get all of that work. Few art pieces put together, nice dynamic background rolling, music rolling and the story unfolds slowly in text.

By the way ... do you have Seiyu? ...

^ Pretty much it.

For the Kickstart project to be successful, you want it to catch a lot of attention. Obviously, your artist, writer and music composer will get all of that work. Few art pieces put together, nice dynamic background rolling, music rolling and the story unfolds slowly in text.

By the way ... do you have Seiyu? ...

Yeah, I really, really cannot emphasize enough that 99% of the factor is just how pretty the thing looks. Throwing out a bunch of big names will help immensely as well. A demo can be a benefit or, frankly, a risk. No game can ever match a player's imagination. That is the greatest concern.

BG artists are generally very hard to find (I talk from experience), since very few artists dedicate their time to drawing only backgrounds.

You might want to take a look on deviantart, but unless you're very, very, very lucky, the artists will ask for payment.

As for promotion more generally, a blog is a good thing to have at the beginning, as I feel that Twitter and Facebook are a bit limiting in terms of customization (facebook should fit the bill if it's for basic updates though).

Try to make a good impression on the communities you want to appeal, especially Lemmasoft and Fuwanovel since they are the biggest communities that will support you.

When I say leave a good impression, it means :

- Take care of your public relationships, and treat every people interested in your project with due respect (even if they are only criticizing you, and there will be people like that), that's especially true if your VN involves money (either a kickstarter or a commercial VN)

- Stay humble and keep a low profile until you have some assets / teasers to show. It's better to keep your energy to work on your project and improve it before trying to make the buzz and appeal to the masses, real and heavy advertisement should wait until you have a demo before you can really focus on it.

As for your kickstarter, I can't emphasize enough on how much you need to take care of the design of your presentation page. A video is mandatory, if possible a teaser video (or an opening) would be great, but might be hard to do without the resources. Also, keep in mind that a kickstarter is a double edged sword. If things go wrong (and I hope it won't, but it can happen), you will have to make sure to fund back those who tried to support you. Basically, I'm saying that if you're doing a kickstarter, you must be sure of the direction where you're going, and that you took some precautions so that you can reach your goal even if things go wrong (for example, you'll have to make sure that your artists will stay through the end, because changing artists midway is difficult. Same goes for your writers).

Anyway, creating a visual novel is a long road ahead, but it's definitely worth it, especially if you're having fun while doing it. After 6 months spending creating a Visual Novel, I had lot of hardship, but also met a lot of amazing and skilled people that I can now call my friends, even despite the language barrier, and it's motivating to work with such wonderful people. If you manage to create such bonds among the members of your team, then no doubts that your VN will come to completion!

As for promotion more generally, a blog is a good thing to have at the beginning, as I feel that Twitter and Facebook are a bit limiting in terms of customization (facebook should fit the bill if it's for basic updates though).

Honestly, I'd recommend tumblr out of all the social media sites.  The crowd there is pretty different, and it seems like they're more interested in things like art and such than the average Facebook user.  Several OELVNs I've been following only have an official site and a tublr page, and they're getting a decent amount of attention.  A lot of talented artists also frequent tublr, so that might help if you need a background artist and can't find one on deviantart or here at Fuwa.

A lot of people only use Facebook and Twitter to let people know about what they're doing, and don't really care what others are up to.  Not saying that you should delete your Facebook page or anything (you can't even if you want to :P ), but you should definitely think about expanding to other social media sites.