Clannad boring? should i play Tomoyan after?

sion12

i played and really like rewrite and a little bits of little buster(waiting for it to be fully translated) so i had high hope on clannad but i cant help but think clannad is really boring. i mean l really like the character and the conversation between them, they are all interesting and fun but the story is so slow and filled with 70% padding material. the only route i liked is Kotomi and youhei/mei route and to a lesser degree Tomoyo the rest is kinda boring.

Misae route - boom and suddenly ended, i was like what the hell?

Tomoyo -  really like her but the whole Delinquent cant be with student council thing ruined it. way too over dramatise, not like they are criminal and politician or idol. the over all tone is depressing but atleast the got back together

Yukine -nothing much happened. drink coffee>visit grave> hooked up

Ryou - worst route, kinda a bitch after you done Teppei and Kyou's route

Kyou - exact same with above route except the ending. and the endless" this time he finally gona confess but nop loop. also show why is Ryou is kinda a manipulative bitch > had a crush Tomoya and know Ryou like him too but ask Ryou to help her but when tomoya reject her, immediately find a new boyfriend. dafuq? Kyou/Tomoya when through such hardship becase of her

Teppie - almost NTR undertone route because he get the girl and you dont. Had a crush on Tomoya and immediately become his girlfriend within a day and again show why Ryou is kinda a bitch because of the trouble she caused in Kyou's route

Mei/Youhei - Funny, upbeat and epic fight in the end.

Kotomi - Funny dialogue and sad pass with a nice ending

Fuko -  basically Nagisa route except ending.kinda wield  why Tomoya didnt not tell Kouko?i mean even if she cant see her, Tomoya have tons of way to prove she exist

Nagisa - main route/true route - The most mundane and boring toute by far, filled with 90% filler material. 9% fun interaction between Sanae/Akio/Tomoya  and 1% plot

overall loveable and funny character and interaction but boring plot. all that "illusion world" seem pointless and chuunibyou in a bad way because frankly main route is so boring they should just cut it out and put True route in only. and whats will Tomoya/s father? nothing is explained why he act that way but suddenly grandma said he work hard for tomoya contrary to what he himself experienced  but he  just forgive him anyway?

lastly i want to ask how is Tomoyo after? whats it about ? i mean any thing too tragic and depressing? good end? worth reading?

As someone who didn't like Clannad much, I'd say Tomoyo After is pretty worth it - but expect nukige prologue, and the story itself is only really good near the end.

Also, you might want to check out the anime of Clannad because Kyoto Animation know their shit.

@Palas what dont you understand?

summary is Clannad boring as hell except the funny conversation/antic between character. only route worth playing is Kotomi and Mei/Kouhei. Nagisa route is the most bloated and boring thing i have read in a VN.

yeah i read a spoiler review of Tomoyo after and finding out 

Tomoya gona die and Tomoyo lead a shiity life till she die

i say no thank you XD

yeah i read a spoiler review of Tomoyo after and finding out 

Tomoya gona die and Tomoyo lead a shiity life till she die

i say no thank you XD

That's a bad way to put it, she's kind of happy at the end - plus what's important are the scenes around that part, not the summary.

It's a bit unclear but he most likely just ends up in coma forever (wakes up in the remake of the game, but no additional scenes so who cares). What you may find interesting is the life he leads after having amnesia.

Why the hell would you spoil it anyway?

Look, tastes are tastes. If you didn't like Clannad, then that means you're not cut up to enjoy Slice of Life. So I suggest you look for different genres (fantasy/mistery/mecha) that you might enjoy, and don't force yourself to play a genre you don't like.

There are 3 kinds of people in this forum; The ClannadThe Rewrite, and The Both.

I'm the blue and you're the green. Now before I say anything, I'd like to point out that Clannad was my second VN so the impression most probably came from being a new experience, but regardless of that I still see its brilliant writing for the most part through a semi-objective perspective. I don't see how anyone can like most of Rewrite, and I don't see how anyone can dislike certain parts of Clannad. I may be a smartass for saying this, but this is the kind of thing where you don't like it not because it lacks integrity, but because you just don't.

I also need to point out that the character interactions and redundant scenes of Clannad--despite being seemingly unnecessary--IS the plot. Clannad is a slice of life drama told in chronology, the premise of its storytelling is to tell you the every day activities of a certain Okazaki Tomoya that mainly revolves around talking to people and doing mundane things. If you were to take away all the 'unnecessary moments' of Clannad, you would have finished it in 3 hours. Clannad is essentially 100% plot, you just happen to find it boring. That's okay.

Should you read Tomoyo After?

Yes. You can look up the synopsis on VNDB. The difference is that Tomoyo After has a linear plot and is centered around one heroine and an apparent conflict that drives the story along. Unlike Clannad, Tomoyo After has a clearer goal. I also found its after story brilliant and touching. If you found it boring as well, then it's safe to say that you don't generally like Slice of Life dramas.

The problem with Clannad, other than certain flaws, is that everything you found boring within it is what it's supposed to be.

There are 3 kinds of people in this forum; The ClannadThe Rewrite, and The Both.

I'm the blue and you're the green. Now before I say anything, I'd like to point out that Clannad was my second VN so the impression most probably came from being a new experience, but regardless of that I still see its brilliant writing for the most part through a semi-objective perspective. I don't see how anyone can like most of Rewrite, and I don't see how anyone can dislike certain parts of Clannad. I may be a smartass for saying this, but this is the kind of thing where you don't like it not because it lacks integrity, but because you just don't.

I also need to point out that the character interactions and redundant scenes of Clannad--despite being seemingly unnecessary--IS the plot. Clannad is a slice of life drama told in chronology, the premise of its storytelling is to tell you the every day activities of a certain Okazaki Tomoya that mainly revolves around talking to people and doing mundane things. If you were to take away all the 'unnecessary moments' of Clannad, you would have finished it in 3 hours. Clannad is essentially 100% plot, you just happen to find it boring. That's okay.

Should you read Tomoyo After?

Yes. You can look up the synopsis on VNDB. The difference is that Tomoyo After has a linear plot and is centered around one heroine and an apparent conflict that drives the story along. Unlike Clannad, Tomoyo After has a clearer goal. I also found its after story brilliant and touching. If you found it boring as well, then it's safe to say that you don't generally like Slice of Life dramas.

The problem with Clannad, other than certain flaws, is that everything you found boring within it is what it's supposed to be.

No Majikoi Kind??? u know...the kind that hide in the depth of fuwa yet deadly if their territory being attacked.

76c56365a9.gif

i dont hate Slice of life infact i actually quite like Clannad before it get deeper into character route(except Kotomi/Mei). Though i said clannad boring i meant mainly the Nagisa route especially the part starting from where they living together till child birth. that part is so excruciatingly long and boring. the other route i just plainly dont like it for example why make Misae a heroin when you just find out what happen in the pass and  suddenly ended it with no mention to what happen to Tomoya and Misae? or that on Kyou's route 95% is about Ryou?

i guess the main problem is  Nagisa 's chracter and her route  is so boring she ruin clannad for me since her route contain major parts of the game.

i dont hate Slice of life infact i actually quite like Clannad before it get deeper into character route(except Kotomi/Mei). Though i said clannad boring i meant mainly the Nagisa route especially the part starting from where they living together till child birth. that part is so excruciatingly long and boring. the other route i just plainly dont like it for example why make Misae a heroin when you just find out what happen in the pass and  suddenly ended it with no mention to what happen to Tomoya and Misae? or that on Kyou's route 95% is about Ryou?

i guess the main problem is  Nagisa 's chracter and her route  is so boring she ruin clannad for me since her route contain major parts of the game.

I don't see how Nagisa's route or the after story is different from the others. They have the same pacing and storytelling, it's just that particular part touches on the daily life of a father looking out for his wife. Most probably because at that point you don't see the other characters that often anymore, and it mainly revolves around the 2 main characters. Again, this is part of the experience, either you missed its underlying tone or you'll soon find that being a father really is tedious. As for Nagisa's route before the after story... I don't know how it would be more boring than the others. Personal preference I presume.

Being a heroine doesn't necessarily mean she'll end up with the protagonist, in case that was what you were expecting. There's no reason to put Misae's backstory in any other routes. Though I admit Misae's route is anti-conclusive, and that I wish it was more polished, her past is where it belongs. Another argument would be "her story doesn't matter, why hone it in in the first place?" Several other Clannad routes do not contribute to the true plot as well, mainly because they are a plot of their own.

As for Kyou, I would be more concerned over why the Fujibayashi routes were implemented that way. Regardless, half of Kyou's route is Ryou's route, which is probably why she doesn't get the focus. If you look into it though, Kyou's story does begin along with Ryou's route, that probably confused you into thinking that the entire thing was essentially Kyou's route. It's true in a way, and that's one of Key's major faults in the game.

Clannad seems to be a hit or a miss.

What I find incredible in Clannad is how they manage to show the complexity behind trivial things.

Clannad isn't boring, Clannad simply doesn't show any special things.

Tomoyo is simply a boy with a little more problems than average. He lost his mother and is in bad terms with his father. It's not common but it's not that uncommon. Family problems occur very often and it's only one of them.

Every character has some problems. But it's not the huge over dramatic problems that too many Visual Novels throw in your face.

No, these are simple problems caused my simple things such as love, friendship, familly, school.

However Clannad shows you that as simple as these may look like, they are much more complex and hurt much more than you might think.

OP is right.  Slice of life is my main thing in VNs, and still Clannad put me to sleep.  There is a problem with the way the story is written, not slice of life itself.  I wouldn't even bother if it weren't for Kotomi.

Interestingly, I had no problem with Key's earlier stories like Kanon

However, the game has this awkward intrinsic conflict, because as much as it gives you all conditions to just play non-theleologically, it also forces you to go through every route so you can reach After Story. The contradictory messages of "follow your intuition" and "follow a walkthrough" are given at the same time, at all times.

In all honesty, that's also one big setback. I didn't mind it because I was genuinely interested in going through all the routes, and I found none of them tedious, but making the After Story an unlockable was a very odd decision. However, I'm fine with the true ending being an exclusive reward to collecting all the orbs of light. Another thing would be that the normal ending could've been more conclusive as to not implore you to achieve the true ending, thus 'forcing' you to play all the routes regardless.

OP is right.  Slice of life is my main thing in VNs, and still Clannad put me to sleep.  There is a problem with the way the story is written, not slice of life itself.  I wouldn't even bother if it weren't for Kotomi.

Interestingly, I had no problem with Key's earlier stories like Kanon

I just couldn't get my mind through this, I'm sorry.  :lol: I suppose it's something entirely subjective.

Look, tastes are tastes. If you didn't like Clannad, then that means you're not cut up to enjoy Slice of Life. So I suggest you look for different genres (fantasy/mistery/mecha) that you might enjoy, and don't force yourself to play a genre you don't like.

I don't know about that. I've played tons of slice of life VNs so far and Clannad isn't anywhere high on that list, really. I would say it's in the bottom 50% of them- even for a slice of life, it was pretty boring at most times. I also enjoyed every other Key game more than Clannad, lol. Not enjoying one specific game doesn't mean you're not cut for the genre. 

So, about Tomoyo After.

It only has bad endings.

Too many pointless H-scenes at the beginning, specially (almost made me thought I was playing a key nukige). It does have a better pacing than Clannad, though- I enoyed the game, somewhat. Might be worth playing.

I am more shocked at the fact that if u found it boring like me how did u finish so much of it? xD i think i barely did a route or 2

So, about Tomoyo After.

It only has bad endings.

Too many pointless H-scenes at the beginning, specially (almost made me thought I was playing a key nukige). It does have a better pacing than Clannad, though- I enoyed the game, somewhat. Might be worth playing.

Really? only bad ends? Uhm why the hell make a fan disc of a couple with bad endings only :/

I just couldn't get my mind through this, I'm sorry.  :lol: I suppose it's something entirely subjective.

In the midst of all subjective opinions, however, one fact remains:  that they are many ways to approach slice-of-life, Clannad's way is just one of them.

Oddly enough, Kyou's route is where the VN finally picked up for me.  Granted, this might partially because I see the whole thing as Kyou's route with a possible Ryou ending rather than Ryou's route that branches into Kyou's at the end, but I found Ryou so uninteresting that I was more keen to pick up Kyou's interactions at every turn.

It could also be because I actually was in a similar situation to this route(but not with twins) when I was in high school, but moved to a new town before it could reach a resolution.  I empathize with this route more than the others.  I still haven't read past Kyou's route for fear of being disappointed like I was in the previous routes.