Easiest and best way to set system locale for a specific software, no restart required

The free Microsoft tool "AppLocale" is designed to set the system locale for specific programs.

It does not require a reboot / restart of the operating system - and again, was written by Microsoft.

The tool's only purpose is to set the system locale for a specific program and not for the whole OS. Therefore no rebooting is required.

The tool does not require any advanced system knowledge whatsoever.

The user however needs to know which file starts the setup / game he wants to run with a different (e.g. Japanese) system locale. It is way faster than changing the whole system locale (even without the reboot).

The steps are:

1. Download AppLocale

2. Install AppLocale

3. Execute AppLocale

4. Select game setup or executable (depending on whether you wish to install the game or just run it)

5. Select the language / locale from the menu (e.g.: "Japanese" - will be displayed as "日本語").

Optional: Check checkbox "create shortcut" and enter a name for the new shortcut (e.g. "Japanese start Fate Stay Night"). The shortcut will be made in the startmenu folder "Microsoft AppLocale"

6. Click "Finish" to run the program with the specified settings.

If you have created a shorcut you can now start the program / game with the specified (e.g. Japanese) system locale simply by double clicking the shortcut as you would any other file.

Download Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13209

I think this tool should be added to the FAQ section of how to set the system locale to japanese.

It works 100% as it does the same as changing the whole OS system locale does - but only for the specified program.

The major problem with this tool is the incompatibility with some vns. That's why setting your system locale to japanese is the safest way to avoid technical issues with vns that require the non unicode settings to be in japanese.

And that's also why we say to change the system locale to japanese in the FAQ and don't recomend AppLocale.

And I've already seen problems that were solved by not using the AppLocale. Although AppLocale makes it simpler in some cases, it still can and does run into issues.

I guess this wasn't included in the FAQ section, cause it's already outdated. Applocale was a solution only for XP/server versions of Windows, and as far as I know, although XP is still quite widely used, most users already work on W7; you don't need applocale for Vista or W7, as you can preety much change the locale on the fly, without the need to restart the system.

This was preety much the basics few years ago, though. I'd like to add, that applocale still isn't a 100% workaround as it only emulates the locale for non-unicode based applications. It is a good option for those who want to properly run vn's working on unicode-based executables, but a lot of non-unicode based vn's tends to not run properly even with applocale emulation in the background. You also need to have the eastern language pack installed as well for the applocale to work.

You need to restart to change your system locale in win7, iirc *tries* *yup*. That said, the fact that this guide doesn't even mention more updated versions of applocale (I'm not sure what they are called, pApploc?) and claims it works 100% is... misleading to say the least. Not recommended.

You haven't tried using Locale Emulator? Well you should.

Basically it's something you install once, and that's pretty much it. You don't need to mess around with settings or whatever, you just right click the executable of the VN, then Locale Emulator would add an option to run it as Jap Locale. I can't guarantee that it works 100% for all VNs, but it's a pretty neat alternative if you really don't want to just change your system locale to japanese (because after all, that's still the easiest and safest way to do it).

You haven't tried using Locale Emulator? Well you should.

Basically it's something you install once, and that's pretty much it. You don't need to mess around with settings or whatever, you just right click the executable of the VN, then Locale Emulator would add an option to run it as Jap Locale. I can't guarantee that it works 100% for all VNs, but it's a pretty neat alternative if you really don't want to just change your system locale to japanese (because after all, that's still the easiest and safest way to do it).

I've been using this a lot too, but this doesn't work every time. For example, Ayakashibito doesn't work properly with Locale Emulator. That, and installing japanese VNs can be a pain, since you need to launch the setup directly with the emulator - which isn't possible with all installations either; some make you go through a launcher first, in which case the emulator is no longer active for the setup, turning it unusable.

So yeah, while it does work most of the time, setting the locale globally just saves you all the trouble.

• 2 weeks later...