Any good dating sims ?

Mr. Meogii

I've been a bit interested in this myself. Persona 3 and 4 are fairly good as dating sims.

Fureraba seemed like a good dating sim to me. You get to choose what you wanna talk about with a girl and stuff like that, which I thought was pretty cool, but there's no translation out for it at the moment... unless you can read it in Japanese of course. http://vndb.org/v11856

Learn japanese, that's my best advice. It's not that hard you know, but you have to make free time on your day life.

As for this... this process still takes uhh, for most, over a year, or even more for busy people, Unless you're really good, which I'm not.

As for this... this process still takes uhh, for most, over a year, or even more for busy people, Unless you're really good, which I'm not.

I started roughly 1 month ago, and so far I got all the kana plus 400 kanji. I'm not that free with time, I just follow the right materials, in other words, Heisig's Books with Anki.

I suggest you to follow Nagisa's advice, most of the dating sims are in japanese with no translation.

But I suggest you to go on visual novel database, you can find a lot of dating sims, plus some are translated.

I started roughly 1 month ago, and so far I got all the kana plus 400 kanji. I'm not that free with time, I just follow the right materials, in other words, Heisig's Books with Anki.

In that case can you recommend me some material to get started with ?

In that case can you recommend me some material to get started with ?

Sure, first of all you should start with the kana, for that I recommend the books Remembering the Kana 1 and 2, you can find it online or you can buy it. After that, I recommend you learn the kanji, that takes the hardest part of japanese out of the way, I recommend Remembering the Kanji 1 and 2, volume 3 only if you want to be advanced, and associate that with Anki, for reviews. After that, there's a grammar guide you can read. After that, for vocabulary I was told the best were the JLPT lists for anki. Of course that's my suggestion. You can find more resources in this thread and this one.

...Aren't 90% of all visual novels ultimately dating sims?

Nope, dating sims are stats-based simulation games, while VNs are, well, novels.

That aside, I'm not a big fan of dating sims, so I only tried Koisuru Oukoku that was already mentioned. Well, you can always try a classic - http://vndb.org/v241.

As for VNDB, it only lists a few dating sim/VN hybrids, pure dating sims have no place there.

The following emphasize *simulation gameplay*, including an emphasis on statistics and schedules:

Tokimeki Memorial series. The Nintendo DS versions of the first two Girl's Side games have been fan translated. Both have some dialogue, but about 80% of the content is adjusting the main character's traits. The player chooses when and who the main character goes on dates with.

Konami has also made the LovePlus games. As of this writing, only the original version has a fan translation. Seemed rather limited at first, with three heroines and only a few stats to develop. After the main character commits to one girl, the gameplay changes. In my opinion, the change is welcome.

Two freeware options that I've enjoyed: Heartache 101 and RE:Alistair. The former starts out with story, but afterwards the emphasis is on dating and using random events effectively. The latter has more story and lacks any out-and-out dates, but includes stats and items.

The indie game Shira Oka was released in 2010 after a few years of development and trailers shown at fan conventions. The creators liked a variety of untranslated games, and had a goal of blending simulation gameplay with story. I don't know if they'll ever release another product, but I thought this one was a good start.

Winter Wolves' indie games include Roommates (college-based romance game with two protagonists and two bisexual characters) and Always Remember Me (somewhere between drama and slice of life, also emphasizes gameplay).

Lucky Rabbit Reflex is a very British indie romance game. I'm hoping the creator will work on another project, since I thought it was a good first product.

It's tough to recommend the PSP game Brooktown High. I like the idea of a romance game in which the player moves the main character through a world, but I didn't enjoy the graphics or the writing.

The idea's kind of like a romance VN, but the execution is different.

It's not something you just read.  It's not like choose your own adventure story like a VN.

There may be little or no narration, but there's still usually plenty of dialogue.

Basically the girl's opinion of you during the game is influenced by your gameplay actions.

Conversation is usually a part of that.  You are given choices of responses in conversations, but unlike in a VN, the choices are on what to say, and you get immediate feedback based on how she takes your response.

And there may be several other tasks that the game requires you to do.  You may have to demonstrate your ability in some area that the particular girl likes, or take her to places you figure she enjoys going to, or buy her appropriate presents on holidays, etc.

In the Dream Club series, the girls' opinion of you is closely tied to your ability to skillfully get them drunk...and I personally find that hysterical...

Pia Carrot.

Don't mix vn's with dating sims. Those are completely two different genres; they share similiarities from time to time, but aren't the same. I'm actually quite allergic to this, since it's what made the western people tag all visual novels as "dating sims" and it's just outright wrong.