Lucid9 (available for free on Steam)

Diamon

Didn't get to play too much because I'm at work, but had some looking around into the engine's code and the PHP page that contains the game's bootstrapping data, as well as the character sprites themselves. Just some hints to optimize performance and overall weight of the data that has to be loaded first:

I didn't see any usage of requestAnimationFrame but setInterval and the need for an FPS variable instead. Read up and try to implement that one because it's way better for performance in general, is already tied to the clock speed and, which is the main benefit, doesn't run while the tab is in the background, seamlessly. You can find shims and polyfills all around the web, I used one when I was fiddling around with it for a pet project of mine which puts swaying sakura petals into a container (in the example case the document's body).

I don't want to pull numbers out of my ass, but just by looking at the sprites as they were loaded when the game started / switched to the class room scene I saw an amazing opportunity to shave off bandwidth by creating sprites out of your sprites. Sounds confusing? Just talking about normal CSS sprites here, which would have two very distinct befefits:

• Reduction in overall file size and HTTP requests, especially the second one being something very desirable to keep small, since that's the big bottleneck when fetching assets.
  • By creating sprites you'd also be able to just have a basic "body" and distinct facial expression or partial body parts, which would be able to be animated by whichever means, jQuery or CSS3, opening your engine up to cool special effects like they feature in desktop VNs nowadays with facial and swaying animations. Heck, go a step further and do the whole thing with mouth movements and animate those of you want to go crazy! Amazing possiblities here. :)

Last but not least, something very simple: Split off common parts of your strings, for example your URLs and URIs and concatenate as needed - we're talking about a few hundred bytes for this demo, which could easily amount to kilobytes saved as the game grows. This last one is premature optimization, but something easily implemented to future-proof the engine, as I see both networking and graphical/CPU performance becoming a bottleneck in the future - my work PC, which doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and none on the CPU either, started to choke on the demo already.

Really interesting stuff though, will dig through the code (and the demo!) more when I find the time. :)

Greetings Nayleen! I am Lizts, the programmer of the engine, and
I just want to say thank you for your insight! Its nice to see another programmer that is adept in web app development.
About your suggestions though, I believe createjs library (the canvas library the engine is using) already utilizes requestAnimationFrame so there is no problem with that ^^, 
about CSS sprites though, combining the image is doable, although I wouldn't want the users of the system to combine the images and indicate their position. 
It would be tedious for them I believe, but I can see its potential for users who are willing to set their system in that way if they really want to optimize their loading so I'll probably look more in giving them that option.
I have to tell you though, the code will soon be minified and obfuscated to save space so it won't be available later (After we officially launch it and have reached a certain number of users, we will put it as open source).  
Anyways I'm currently looking for someone to help with the development, if by chance you are interested, please pm me :)

Actual work for a web dev on Fuwanovel? Heresy!

I didn't look too much since I was (and still am, oops) at work, so I just had a look at the actual game/engine code, not the libraries used, so that might indeed be the case here.

The CSS sprites would still be an easy thing to do if you can define the (composed) character sprite's dimensions somewhere, be it in the code, in the filename (which I noticed, so no idea if it's CDN specific or put there by you guys) or elsewhere. Then have the different sets overlay each other according to those boundaries - obviously a lot of blank space involved, which isn't a problem with the compression of the PNG format though.

Minifying is obviously the way to go to shave off more of that file size, and obfuscation might help to not get your code stolen immediately. Definitely put some code of license on it already, because the work so far seems to be pretty well thought out.

I'll have to get back to you about it since I'm in the middle of switching jobs and moving across the country, but I'd be very interested. Starting the new job on the 20th, which is when things should settle down again, though I might have some time somewhat earlier already. Feel free to contact me via PM before that point though and I'll get in touch with you through Skype or similar.

1. After the blood appeared and disappeared I had to click an extra time to see the next line of text. Not really an important problem. Overall was great

2. I love mystery VNs so I was interested in this project from the start

3. Rui Hayata. From the moment she appeared on screen she was the girl.

4. Starting with the very first conversation between the characters I can get a sense of their differing personalities

5. I feel like the demo is fighting with my browsers. I can only get it to work in Mozilla

Waiting to see more as it becomes available

Thanks for your input! The extra click for animation was something that was bothering me as well, so it will soon be fixed hopefully!

For the browser issue, did you have chrome latest version installed. Did you try to refresh it several times (the first loading that freezes actually puts stuff into your cache, so when you refresh it should actually work the second or third time)? Also, I believe a connection speed of at least 1Mb/s is needed in order to make the game run smoothly.

We will release a downloadable / offline version in the near future though.

1. Logistically speaking, was the experience seamless? (Did the engine run smoothly, text legible, proportion of sprites to bgs, etc)

Everything was fine. (I use Chrome)

There were a couple of occasions where the BGM didn't loop. Either that, or I let it run for way to long.

Perhaps it has to do with me tabbing out, that does seem likely.

(Clicking an extra time when an effect appeared. Doesn't really annoy me though)

2. What were your first impressions on the VN?

"It appears we've got some kind of crazy guy here? Is this a tragic back story? Is this the protagonist?

*slips into school life mode*

Right, either a terrific back story or something going on behind the scenes.

The protagonist seems like a character I'd enjoy.

This blond lad is oblivious, either he'll develop or stay as comic relief. 

This purple-haired lass looks fairly mean. Or perhaps uptight. Stereotypical thus far.

Rui seems like a lower quality copy of the protagonist.

Track lover, looks strong. Even his name reminds me of Masato (Little Busters)"

3. Which character is the most appealing? (As an interesting character, not necessarily romantic interest)

Protagonist-kun. From the whole experience I can say his back story seems to have got me interested. 

4. What was especially well done in the game?

I'm sorry but I've got nothing.

The dialogue was engaging, but any old rubbish story can pass as good through my ignorant eyes.

The BGM's were forgettable (as in, I don't remember them after the experience), not that I didn't enjoy it, though.

There were sound effects all about. They were seamless.

I like the protagonist, but any sarcastic character has my attention.

5. What could be improved?

I found the sprites to have some differing styles, especially in the face (compare Rui to Masato). This isn't something that necessarily needs fixing, but I thought I'd note that I noticed a difference while playing. 

I thought Rui was a bit exaggerated...

Some of her comments were forced or downright not funny. (I can put specific examples if you ask me to at a later date) I also thought some could be better worded to not feel as forced.

6. Feel free to include any other comments/questions and we will try to answer them to the best of our ability

The backgrounds were by no means realistic, but I like them cute like that. Actually, while I like all the sprites, the rest of the art is pretty average. It look cute though, and I like cute. I'm totally fine with it as is.

[Please note that while I speak of several things as average, I am comparing it to my usual visual novel. No scruples I'm afraid]

AWESOME. I Can feel all the work and love you've put into this project. That said I do have some qualms so bear with my long reply for a while...

1. Logistically speaking, was the experience seamless? (Did the engine run smoothly, text legible, proportion of sprites to bgs, etc)

I have average broadband speed and load times were nearly instant. The preload at the start was a bit longer but it's understandable (akin to any game when it boots up.)

As for the engine performance, it runs very smooth albeit with a few minor technical issues which I will list below.

-There's a minor stutter on the text box every so often, mostly when characters change expressions. It's natural for VN's to hide box briefly when a sprite changes but the switch here is more like flickering.

-Text size is perfect and I like the font choice. The textbox is huge though..at least compared to the padding of the text. Why don't you pad the sides and center the text so that the textbox doesn't feel so empty and spread out? just an idea.

-On the topic of the textbox, aside from the brief flicker, the textbox really never disappears from the screen. This could only be an issue on my end but box remains on screen at all times. Even when there's no dialogue at all.

-Sprites. This is a delicate topic, mostly because it's VERY DIFFICULT to try and instruct your artist on "relative ground", "roof" and "absolute position". That said the issue here  is only present on some of the sprites: Yahiko and Masato are precise to the reticule and fit very well on screen, their ground is even and they don't go over their roof like on several VN's with tall characters, you know they are tall but not towering. They have a problem though and that's their "absolute position": AP is the area where a single sprite is when changing expressions or poses, both Yahiko and Masato flit left or right when changing pose which shouldn't happen. Even if their neck rotates or shoulders hunch, absolute position shouldn't change unless moving the character onto a different part of the screen for an animation.

Now onto Rui. I'll assume for now that she's a very short girl since she is dwarfed by both her friends and on top of that, her head is far bigger in relation with theirs. This could be due to the differing art styles but it's still contrasting. Also, while her sprite is gorgeous she has no pose changes like Yahiko or Masato? This makes it difficult to know when she's changing expressions even when she's on the center of the screen, but I believe this is partially due to the fact that Yahiko and Masato have realistic and varied expression changes, while Rui's are humorous and more moeblob like. (which lacks impact.)

-Aliasing. This happens in all VN's so not really a big issue, but still I couldn't help but notice that while Rui and Ellie sprites are spotless in quality, Yahiko and Masato have jagged edges (upscaling or downscaling issue, perhaps?) regardless, it's something minor so don't pay much attention to this.

-WIP. The choice screen is a black screen with the choices at the top instead of centered. Intentional? Also, no hover effect when picking choices so you can't tell what you picked till Yama speaks.

-Minor bugs. When the scene fades to black, the fade is a bit on the slow side and characters fade to alpha instead of black, which gives them an odd transparency effect. Will this be corrected?

2. What were your first impressions on the VN?

POTENTIAL MUCH SO GOOD.

You have my undivided attention.

GIVE.ME.MORE.

3. Which character is the most appealing? (As an interesting character, not necessarily romantic interest)

1.Rui.

2.Rui.

3.Rui.

4.Rui.

5. Did I mention Rui already?

6.Rui is my waifu.

7.WHY CAN'T THERE BE GIRLS LIKE RUI IRL??!!

4. What was especially well done in the game?

-Script. Polished, clear and punctual. A very smooth read. Awesome!

-Characterisation, Characters are engaging and interesting. There's the token and tropey stuff but it's well executed so it really doesn't matter. XD VIVA TROPES.

-Backgrounds are awesome, simple but well designed and atmospheric. The classroom one might need some lighting effects since it's a bit flat and bright. overall, BG's are fantastic!

-Chibi art/CGs Wonderful. Bravo. These look very professional and the artist went the extra mile adding detailed backgrounds to them.

-UI. simple and efficient, not obtrusive at all. I will always say it as I'm a designer: Minimalist is best.

5. What could be improved?

-Transition effects.

-Text padding and centering.

-Sprite aliasing

-Music should be a little louder

6. Feel free to include any other comments/questions and we will try to answer them to the best of our ability

-I am genuinely intrigued and impatient to know what happens next. Characters are quirky and likable. Also Rui.

-RUI IS LOVE. RUI IS JUSTICE.

-Will you release on chapters? or core release?

-GREAT JOB GUYS. THIS LOOKS GREAT. I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE HOW YOUR PROJECT EVOLVES. BEST OF LUCK AND YOU HAVE ALL OF MY SUPPORT.

-ALSO CAPS.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We are atm working on :

- Fixing the extra click for the animations thing.

- The head size between the boys and girls is getting harmonized.

- An offline version is in the works so that you can also download the game and play it offline on your browser.

Also we will be working on most of the scenes that were suggested for the engine and the missing functionalities very soon i believe.

Also, I have an additional question, what did you choose for the choice? Gover Mecher, or the book?^^

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We are atm working on :

- Fixing the extra click for the animations thing.

- The head size between the boys and girls is getting harmonized.

- An offline version is in the works so that you can also download the game and play it offline on your browser.

Also we will be working on most of the scenes that were suggested for the engine and the missing functionalities very soon i believe.

Also, I have an additional question, what did you choose for the choice? Gover Mecher, or the book?^^

The book. I had a reason at the time, it made more sense. But now I don't recall my thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just passing by to say that we are not dead, and that we are actively working toward our next goal, and also correcting and improving the current alpha demo (hopefully we will release/update a new version in a few days!)

A little gift :

yLkk3vn.png

If you want my indubitably humble opinion, I'll have to admit that a lot of these character have poses that remind me of a Kuudere. Then again, I've got no aesthetic sense and the descriptions in the main post clear up a lot of doubt about personalities.

If you want my indubitably humble opinion, I'll have to admit that a lot of these character have poses that remind me of a Kuudere. Then again, I've got no aesthetic sense and the descriptions in the main post clear up a lot of doubt about personalities.

Actually, you're not really wrong, 3 characters (Misaki, Elizabeth and Airi) have more "distant" attitude toward the protagonist, which kinda deliberately reflects in the poses^^

I vote for pose changes for the heroines! :3 The way they are now makes them look all too similar. Body language is an important part of personality, after all.

Well, the pose they've given Misaki right now is fine, even if the face screams Kuudere.

However, when you check the main post, you can see she has a pose that's the same as Rui's. Maybe that one was just an alpha sketch or something.

(messed up the names)

Edited by Tiagofvarela