Rewrite Protagonist... Am I the only one?

AMMSY

Why did you guys loved Rewrite so much? Am I missing something? :/ 

Or the epicness of this VN is just a head of all this?

Shizuru is very interesting thou..

Edit: One more thing, this all club activities thing.. is it important to the whole plot? I really wanna use the skip button on these scenes ><

You havent even made it nearly the best parts of the game, not even close. It's kind of shallow to be asking how anyone likes it when you havent even experienced a 10th of the visual novel.

Rewrites a philosophical exploration on the future of humanity and the purpose of intelligent life, but only really shows itself near the ending.

Nah, the common route is a lot of hijinks and fun times. You only ever see shades of the plot until Moon/Terra. Rewrite is kind of a big patience test.

Well, kind of. More like you see shades of the plot in some of the character routes, the majority of it is revealed in Moon/Terra though.

Edit: One more thing, this all club activities thing.. is it important to the whole plot? I really wanna use the skip button on these scenes ><

If you read Rewrite you would understand why its so beloved, the common route is long but you shouldn't skip it, The story turns incredibly dark by the end. 

I have only played a couple of routes, but yes, I did have the same feeling at the very beginning. The humour was there, it was funny and all, but I really don't like the protagonist screwing up all that much. It didn't stop me from playing though, and that was a good choice, because I went from disliking him quite a lot to seeing him as a well-done character. Rewrite wouldn't have been what it is if it wasn't for that guy. You can't know if you've just played a little bit of the common route, but once you've started playing a bit more you'll probably understand.

If you read Rewrite you would understand why its so beloved, the common route is long but you shouldn't skip it, The story turns incredibly dark by the end. 

That is still far from dark, Key would never make a dark game (Planetarian aside). It just kind of gets serious, compared to other routes.

Lucia's route is the sadder for me, and at the same time, the best story ever <3 Maybe because I really like Ryukishi...

But anyway. I like Kotarou a lot, because he has a lot of personality, and he's really funny. He remember's me the Percy Jackson's type of humor, so I got his style very soon.

Answering AMMSY, even that some club activities don't interfere at the story, you have to do then to get all Quests done, and be able to unlock Oppai Ending. So you have to "read"  then, but also can skip without worrying.

Club activities are there for comedic purposes and to help endear you to the rest of the cast.

The protagonist is just faking his way through life which is why his best friend is mad at him through the whole common route so being stupid is just the mask he is hiding behind.

If you are expecting every route to be a good happy ending this probably isn't the VN for you.

Having played through most of the main characters stories (Akane, Shizuru, Kotori, and Chihaya) I can honestly say I didn't have a problem with the endings at all the only thing that really ruined the game for me was the bad writing on Lucia's route.

Club activities are there for comedic purposes and to help endear you to the rest of the cast.

The protagonist is just faking his way through life which is why his best friend is mad at him through the whole common route so being stupid is just the mask he is hiding behind.

If you are expecting every route to be a good happy ending this probably isn't the VN for you.

Having played through most of the main characters stories (Akane, Shizuru, Kotori, and Chihaya) I can honestly say I didn't have a problem with the endings at all the only thing that really ruined the game for me was the bad writing on Lucia's route.

What you didn't like about Lucia's route exactly?

Lucia had a pretty bad final scene where

Kotarou turns into a donkan protagonist for no apparent reason and Lucia waits for him to say he wants to stay with her out of love and not pity,

even though he clearly said exactly that earlier in the game.

I thought Kotarou was kindda pitying her, yes. He said a lot that he would be with her and they'd overcome her issues, and

then they'd be trully happy. Not with those words, but that's the ideia I got from him. She tooke that the same. He was kinda a jerk with her .-.

But, I agree that she overreacted a little. She clearly have some self esteem problems, so she probably didn't take what he said before as something real. Maybe because, if I'm not mistaken, he said he loved her before all the confusion really start, so it was like "He loves me just when I'm normal, now I want him to love me when I'm trouble".

What you didn't like about Lucia's route exactly?

Maybe it is just because my suspension of disbelief is on a shorter fuse than most, but I had a serious problem with the premise of the conflict in Lucia's route. I understand that there needed to be some sort of tension, but the way its handled in Lucia's route just feels to forced and unnatural and we are expected to believe that it is a realistic solution to the problem.

What both the villain and Lucia are trying to accomplish is the typical adam/eve solution of saving the world by being there after the world has ended to repopulate humanity.  Lucia as an "Eve" is expected to save the world by being cryogenically frozen allowing her to survive the apocalypse and restart humanity. Normally this would be a feasible solution the the problem but the problem is where is Adam? The last time I checked Lucia wasn't asexual and as a human can't reproduce anything on her own.

So most of my experience with Lucia's route was me wondering just how stupid a team of top scientists has to be to believe that sending a lone girl into the future just because she is the only one who can survive there would possible save humanity in the slightest when you are missing half of the necessary pieces to your plan to make it even possible in the first place. At one point I honestly just wanted the villain to monologue at some point about how all she really wants is to torment a young girl by sending her to a world alone with no one else in it so that she can live a lonely life and die in a world where she is the only one in it. It would have made more sense to attribute it to her malice rather than believe that that Guardian actually invested that much in a project that was doomed to failure from the start.

The poison in Lucia's body harms anything that gets too close to her even Shizuru was eventually affected by it even with all of her resistances to it. The only one who could possibly survive it was Kotarou and he wasn't even considered as a possible candidate for an Adam at all. Rather the story wanted to split them up by making her alone when what they were trying to accomplish needed her not to be alone. It just makes so little sense that it ruined my enjoyment of it entirely and I wasn't even able to finish her route at all.

Maybe it is just because my suspension of disbelief is on a shorter fuse than most, but I had a serious problem with the premise of the conflict in Lucia's route. I understand that there needed to be some sort of tension, but the way its handled in Lucia's route just feels to forced and unnatural and we are expected to believe that it is a realistic solution to the problem.

What both the villain and Lucia are trying to accomplish is the typical adam/eve solution of saving the world by being there after the world has ended to repopulate humanity.  Lucia as an "Eve" is expected to save the world by being cryogenically frozen allowing her to survive the apocalypse and restart humanity. Normally this would be a feasible solution the the problem but the problem is where is Adam? The last time I checked Lucia wasn't asexual and as a human can't reproduce anything on her own.

So most of my experience with Lucia's route was me wondering just how stupid a team of top scientists has to be to believe that sending a lone girl into the future just because she is the only one who can survive there would possible save humanity in the slightest when you are missing half of the necessary pieces to your plan to make it even possible in the first place. At one point I honestly just wanted the villain to monologue at some point about how all she really wants is to torment a young girl by sending her to a world alone with no one else in it so that she can live a lonely life and die in a world where she is the only one in it. It would have made more sense to attribute it to her malice rather than believe that that Guardian actually invested that much in a project that was doomed to failure from the start.

The poison in Lucia's body harms anything that gets too close to her even Shizuru was eventually affected by it even with all of her resistances to it. The only one who could possibly survive it was Kotarou and he wasn't even considered as a possible candidate for an Adam at all. Rather the story wanted to split them up by making her alone when what they were trying to accomplish needed her not to be alone. It just makes so little sense that it ruined my enjoyment of it entirely and I wasn't even able to finish her route at all.

I think it's possible that they actually made some progress on the research, since the game doesn't show us nothing between the "end" of their facilities/connection with guardians and all the situation with Lucia and the Guardians

I think it's possible that they actually made some progress on the research, since the game doesn't show us nothing between the "end" of their facilities/connection with guardians and all the situation with Lucia and the Guardians

If they did and the author didn't convey it to the readers in some way it still just chalks up to bad writing.

It wasn't actually a bad premise just executed wrong. If something had happened like the scientists had made some sort of breakthrough and created Lucia a suitable partner so that Kotarou would have to fight for her so that he could be the one to stay with her it would have actually been logical.

Take away Lucia's ending and you have a route so good it almost feels out of place.

....especially compared to Chihaya's.

If you are talking about the initial buildup then yeah. Kotarou and Lucia had better interactions with each other than Kotarou had with any of the other heroines combined.

Especially when they started dating.

I really wanted to like her route and it really is so disappointing.

Chihaya and her route are too boring, sorry fans @_@

I think not just Lucia's ending, but most of them [since I'm still reading Akane] are kinda rushed, and not quite good. I really expected for some development after what happened in the end of Kotori's, and Shizuru's seemed like the writer didn't have enough ideas to keep writing. While Chihaya never seemed to end. When I finnaly thought it was finished, that last part with Akane begun. And yeah, the end \o/ NO!  THERE ARE STILL MORE SCENES!

Yeah, I hate her .-.

So what I mean is, all routes have their bad stuff, and Lucia's is far from worst to me.

I think not just Lucia's ending, but most of them [since I'm still reading Akane] are kinda rushed, and not quite good. I really expected for some development after what happened in the end of Kotori's, and Shizuru's seemed like the writer didn't have enough ideas to keep writing. While Chihaya never seemed to end. When I finnaly thought it was finished, that last part with Akane begun. And yeah, the end \o/ NO!  THERE ARE STILL MORE SCENES!

Yeah, I hate her .-.

So what I mean is, all routes have their bad stuff, and Lucia's is far from worst to me.

It's a subjective thing I just have a low tolerance for things I find to be too nonsensical. At least in VN's that i'm supposed to take seriously.

If you are talking about the initial buildup then yeah. Kotarou and Lucia had better interactions with each other than Kotarou had with any of the other heroines combined.

Especially when they started dating.

I really wanted to like her route and it really is so disappointing.

I suppose it has something to do with getting a bit cliche'd towards the end and the lackluster conclusion.

But it's still my best route nonetheless, the first 2/3 of it was intense, emotional, and intriguing. Kudos to Ryukishi for good writing.  :D

Yeah, I hate her .-.

That said I don't think it's "rushed" as much as it is "dragged on". Often times scenes are longer than they should be, and not many interesting things happen to keep the routes intriguing enough. At one point, they get boring, especially when they resort to supernatural phenomena that make the plot even more nonsensical.