Valkyria Chronicles

Moekou

I luved the first game~ the graphics and so lush and the music really made the game for me.

but then i tried to play the PSP version, and it just wasnt the same. (the gameplay was better, but without the canvas' filter it didn't feel the same)

I didn't play 1 (no xbox, only watched anime), played 2 and it was one of my favourite psp strategy rpgs. 3 is on my to-play list but delayed since forever thanks to VNs. I liked the game concept for being innovative and combining strategy, rpg, and shooter, but i disliked how only a few overpowered characters are all you need to win the game. You would expect given the wide cast each has their own niche, but unfortunately no, i find it sad that with such a diverse cast at the end i only ever used about 10 characters properly. You might think that you need a wide range of roles, but sadly once again a few OP characters are all you need. Also i dislike how the only way to get a good ranking for a mission is to blitzkrieg everything while ignoring defensive positioning and how all interception fire except for V2 is an exploitable joke. It was entertaining because it kept me thinking and towards the end the more difficult missions got really interesting, but could have been better i guess.

The first game was amazing. Pretty sure I logged 30 some hours in one week to finish it (which is a big deal for me). The second game loses what made the first feel special. The main cast of characters is pretty predictable and generic while the maps are much, much smaller. I just can't enjoy beating a map as much as it feels disjointed to me.

• 2 years later...

Undodgeable Shot OP.  Just put her on dirt and you're golden.  Also double movement.  

Do the scout challenge a bunch too, grab the award weapon, level up to elite, it breaks the game. Shocktroopers become almost worthless for offense as my scouts can wipe out half the enemy force in a turn or two. Not to mention if I get them behind a light tank, I can eliminate the tank with a few shots. 

I guessed scouts would be the best to focus on upgrading, as they have that crazy movement distance lol

I'm training my lancers too, because they tend to fail their three misiles even if I'm at two steps from the tank.

Don't bother.  The lancers are completely worthless the first game.  I trained them almost to max and they never improved.  I just always kept Largo for the extra move.

My team tended to consist of a 2-3 scouts, 2 shocktroopers, and as many snipers as I could fit in the leftover space.   Oh an one engineer to follow around the tank from behind. 

Don't bother.  The lancers are completely worthless the first game.  I trained them almost to max and they never improved.  I just always kept Largo for the extra move.

My team tended to consist of a 2-3 scouts, 2 shocktroopers, and as many snipers as I could fit in the leftover space.   Oh an one engineer to follow around the tank from behind. 

For one story mission you need Lancers.

For one story mission you need Lancers.

Did they force me to use them?   Otherwise I found a way around it.  Or just used Largo constantly.  I've snipped tanks too, that was fun.  

EDIT: The conversation from the what are you playing topic was moved here.  Feel free to keep it going. 

• 3 months later...

I'm really fond of Valkyria Chronicles 2, since it's the game that made me like JRPGs. I never finished it though, the final missions gave me cancer. It's the kind of game that I liked a lot, but can never bring myself to play it again.

I liked the more focused mission structure of the first game, but it was kind of annoying that every stage almost required you to restart once because of some unpredictable event. 

I'm really fond of Valkyria Chronicles 2, since it's the game that made me like JRPGs. I never finished it though, the final missions gave me cancer. It's the kind of game that I liked a lot, but can never bring myself to play it again.

I liked the more focused mission structure of the first game, but it was kind of annoying that every stage almost required you to restart once because of some unpredictable event. 

Finished the first two and i'm in Valkyria Chronicles 3, and the three games are damn good.

But i prefer VC 1 and 2, because fighting the imperials is more fun than those silly rebels.

One of my most favorite series of all time is Valkyria Chronicles. The first game is my favorite, as it's the only game that's gotten me close to the verge of tears. Then comes the third one - I'd have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if it wasn't for the language barrier, and my constantly having to look up Kanji. The second game was okay... The story didn't compare to the other games, and the whole school setting was kinda ridiculous.

Buy the PC version of VC1 if you haven't already. It runs at whatever resolution you want at 60fps, it runs on my toaster of a machine, it comes with all released DLC, and it's dirt cheap now too!