What do you do?

arakura

What do you guys do when you feel ennui. It's kind of a lazyness, an unwillingness to commit to a story, a movie, or a book. Sometimes I get in this mood where I just cant find it in myself to do the things I normally like, and it feels like I'm wasting time, but then I always spiral into this reasoining train into way too deep stuff ["I'm bored, but I dont want to do anything --> does that mean I'm wasting my life? ---> isnt the most important thing having fun? ---> what about stuff that makes you feel other things that arent necessarily "fun" ---> I need to find a passion ---> I'm just wasting time and I definitely thought about this last time I felt like this"]

So I guess there probably isn't any answer, but I guess I wanted to know if other people sometimes felt the same way... Like you dont want to do the things you like to do. And I dont want to watch or read something because it'll be a waste of a goo story in such a mood... u.u

maybe I should just go big and do it anyway >,>

I'd say that's more akin to a case of the blues - the loss of interest in hobbies/activities, the lethargy,  and the negativity - rather than just regular boredom, of which everyone gets that way every now and then. When I get down on myself I try occupy my time in spite of my mood, which usually goes a decent way in helping me forget whatever tizzy I'm in.

So I don't know, the best remedy is time and some good ol' escapism?

I do feel the same way.

But it's kinda different for me.

I'm studying, but i don't like what I study.

I'm mostly doing this for my family and to ensure a fairly good starter income.

But it's boring, and I can't concentrate on this I really like (passion even).

And when I can't contrentrate 100% on something, I don't feel like doing it cause I wouldn't make the most out of it (I hope that means something).

I'm a bit complicated, but what i'm lacking isn't motivation, i'm not bored about things I like.

Sometimes I just felt like I missed the moment I could actually take a bet.

I would love to take it, and risk is fun, but I wouldn't be forgiven by my family and that's really scary.

I would love to do something I love, I would love to concentrate on what I like and live from it.

But since I can't, it's boring, and I feel guilty not being able to concentrate on either my studies - to actually ensure a nice life and maybe therefore being able to have more time for my passions in the future; or my passion right now before it's impossible to live from it.

I feel this way a  lot. Especially regarding VNs if i'm not in a good mood i just can't bring myself to read them or i get bored of them 2 hours later into it. By bad mood i don't mean "oh my god i'm so depressed kill me plz" but more of a "meh i don't feel like moving a finger". Not that i dislike the novel it's just that i can't grasp my attention to it.

My best solution is to just take a break. Do something else or relax and clear my mind. That usually does it for me.

As long as i find something that'll entertain me no matter how minimalistic it is my mood often goes up.

I'm not joking one time i just dug up my old legos and spent 2 hours building random crap. It cleared my mind.

Hm. I live in near isolation, and I can't say this happens much to me now. It happened a lot when I was a teenager, from what I remember. Whenever I don't feel like reading VNs nowdays, I just go hiking. Or I read a book, since my house is basically a small library by now >.<

It may be lack of going out? When I start feeling that things are pointless, a walk until one of the various waterfalls around here (said walk usually take 3~5 hours in unpaved roads, sometimes with downright hill climbing, though.) generally reminds me of what I see as my reason in life. 

Yep, I'd say you need some world exploration! It helps me to regain my mood. Though I don't know if I'm the standard to a common person (Axion compared me to a hermit before, and I don't think that's exactly wrong). I hope I was able to help you.

That does happen to everyone at some point, I guess.

From experience, I'd say that forcing yourself isn't the right way to go at it: it's the best way to just end up disgusted for no reason by the VN/book/anime/movie you forced upon yourself.

Taking a break and doing something else for a while seems to be everyone's way to deal with this. For the better and the worse, I tend to have extremely fast mood swings, so just lying in my bed, or listening to music, or going out and doing something I had postponed (great opportunity to get shit done sometimes, actually), will be enough to get me back.

Hm. I live in near isolation, and I can't say this happens much to me now. It happened a lot when I was a teenager, from what I remember. Whenever I don't feel like reading VNs nowdays, I just go hiking. Or I read a book, since my house is basically a small library by now >.<

It may be lack of going out? When I start feeling that things are pointless, a walk until one of the various waterfalls around here (said walk usually take 3~5 hours in unpaved roads, sometimes with downright hill climbing, though.) generally reminds me of what I see as my reason in life. 

Yep, I'd say you need some world exploration! It helps me to regain my mood. Though I don't know if I'm the standard to a common person (Axion compared me to a hermit before, and I don't think that's exactly wrong). I hope I was able to help you.

Haha, I definitely appreciate this. I do realize that it's a transient thing, but awareness isnt the best solution. And part of the reason I think I feel it is because I Live next to a lot of people, but so often I feel alone, even near them (because I dont necessarily 'click' with a lot of people in my dorm situation, so we just kinda dont do stuff... maybe I should be more personable.

Either way I really like the suggestion of walking and that sounds awesome, except that I live in Minneapolis, so when it's not -50 degrees windchill during the day (jk, normally like 10 to -10), all I get to see is a concrete monster if I walked for a few blocks... It's odd though, I always considered it a byproduct of loneliness, but your understanding of it seems different. Or maybe we are just different, but I appreciate your ideas

Also, Down seems to have an idea of what I generally think about. I am trying to use this time to do homework to maximise my time efficiency, but sometimes that feels so hardcore 0.0

So I guess I'll try to be a little calmer and more understanding, give myself some down time and do some homework.

I generally get hit by that sensation after playing a truly great game from beginning to end.  The sheer joy of that experience is reflected by the emptiness after having finished it.  At that point, I generally just play something mindless, like a moege, to tide me over until I am human again.

If I don't feel like doing anything I usually end up going on the internet. It's like the place was made for people who lack strong attachments. To be honest I don't think I've ever felt like "not doing anything". I'm forced to spend a lot of time "being productive" either by work or school, and there are plenty of other things that I still want to do, and not enough time to complete them all. I relax/waste time by going on IRC/reading a VN/watching an anime/browsing the internet studying japanese.