A good low tier Japanese Eroge

Dark Ariel7

God I really think that I can't do that. I have a small ocd fit every time I try to play something not in fullscreen  and I think it will actually hurt my progress by making me rely on it too much.

It should work full screen, too.  At least in XP it does.  You just switch temporarily away from it and back.  If your goal is to only use it once in a while, that should be fine.

At this point I really think I'm just gonna power through some more kanji As I read a little bit of the novel each day and hope that by the end I came up with some wort of cohesive understanding of the story. I am ordering my second set of kanji cards tomorrow. This one comes with 750 and I can do the first 100 in a week or 2. That should help at least get my foot in the door. The rest will have to be won with blood sweat and Guts!

Like you found out the hard way: you definitely need to know more kanji and vocab before starting ANY visual novel. I would suggest learning to recognize 7-800 kanji, and have a vocab of at least 2000 words before starting with the easy VNs.  

Download something called Anki, which is a flashcard application that is GREAT for learning new vocab. Its for pc, mac, iphone and android. There are tons of premade decks. I would suggest downloading something like core2k , which is the 2000 most used words in japanese. The deck got the word, a picture and a sample sentence. Both the word and the sample sentence have audio, so you can hear the pronounciation. You can easily learn 10-150 new words a day depending on how much time you put in. With some effort, you could reach 2000 vocab in a month or two. Beware: in the beginning, when the whole example sentence might be full of unknown words, you will progress much slower than this though.

As for the easiest VN-like game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d9V_U8Epkc. A game made for japanese children to learn english. :P (havent tried it yet myself though)

Good luck :)

Hmm. Currently read Hoshimemo-FD-, Eustia and -most- of '&' and currently reading Baldr all with a hefty amount of grammar study and jparser. Jparser is seriously the eroge cheatcode.

My kanji memory is absolute ass though and it kind of made me lazy with remembering it though, so take it as you will.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might not fit since they're not exactly VNs (some of them can be)... but I've been looking into indie Japanese games lately, and noticed some of them can be easy. Plus they are free and short ;p and you can choose your type of genre (so you could look for an adventure type game that doesn't have too much reading, etc. and it can be more immersive too). There were even some games that taught English, so you could learn in reverse maybe xD

You can just type this in google: フリーゲーム and (Translate page) if you want.  They can be good practice games^^ (but sorry, no eroge.. I think)

Oh btw - Text hooking does work for these games (I'm not sure if they all do, but the ones I tried worked fine).