Translator Lesson

Clephas

Do you think this thread is a good idea?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this thread is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/mixed feelings
  2. 2. Do you want pics to accompany the scenes in the future if possible?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which VN do you want the scene to be drawn from for 11/11?

• Evolimit
    • Ruitomo
    • Yurikago yori Tenshi Made
    • Gurenka
    • Jingai Makyou

This poll is closed to new votes

The concept behind this thread is rather simple.  Once a week, I'll post a scene I picked from a VN, with a difficulty level between 6-9 on a scale from one to ten.  Translators, your job will be to translate this scene, then post your translation (with each translated line situated under the original Japanese) in a spoilers box.  I will then evaluate the level of your capabilities and tell you what you most need to work on and exactly what level of VN you can translate easily. 

All the scenes I put on here will be of a difficulty level with a low of Ruitomo (6) and a high of Dies Irae(8-9).  I will not torture you by asking you to do the impossible (ie: translate scenes from Kajiri Kamui).  All evaluations I give you will be private, using the pm system unless you would prefer to be open about it.  On request, I'll ask a mod to delete your post once you've been evaluated (to avoid non-constructive criticism).  Understand, this is similar to the method I used to train translators when I was the head of a fansub group, and as such, I'll nitpick... a lot.  At the same time, I won't ignore you if you ask me to elaborate on my reasons, but I might take a little while to get back to you on it. 

A few rules for those who would observe the thread:

1) All posts must be comments on the idea of the thread itself or a translated scene.

2) If you want to give advice to other translators, do so using the PM system, not the thread.

3) This is meant to be an educational thread for up and coming translators, not a place to brag about your capabilities.  If you have your own style, in which you are confident, then don't post translated scenes here.  However, testing your capabilities is just fine.

4) I will take suggestions about scenes to put up for translation.  Simply ask me for my email if you have a scene you want me to consider, and then email me with the scene in question.  Getting the community to translate an entire scene your group can't handle is a perfectly legitimate use of this thread, if it is above the threshold.  However, I reserve the right to consider which scenes will go up for translation.

Now, for the first scene...  Translation level 8.  Source: Devils Devel Concept

「ニンゲン」とは、「存在」そのものではなく、ある「状態」を指す言葉だ…………

生物種としての「ヒト」ではなく。

そうならんと望み、願い、足掻き、苦しむ、その「状態」が「ニンゲン」なのだ。

それは、善なるモノではなく、聖なるモノでもない。

綺麗なモノがそうなのではなく、必ずしも気高いモノがそうだとは限らない。

それでも、それは価値ある「状態」だ。

狗でも豚でも化け物でもなく、「ニンゲン」である事は、とても難しい…………

それは、ただ何もしなくても、確定されるようなモノではない。

そこに到達し、それを維持し続けなければ、その名を許されないモノだ。

人は誰もが、人のカタチで生まれてくる。

けれど、それはまだ「人」ではない「何か」でしかない。

成長し、老いてゆくその過程の中で、維持し続ける「状態」こそが、「ニンゲン」という称号なのだ。

それは目に見えるカタチ――――「存在」ではなく、目に見えないカタチ――――「状態」なのだ。

――例えば、犬の形をしたものが犬。

猫の形をしたものが猫。

鳥の形をしたものが鳥。

魚の形をしたものが魚。

それで良いなら、話は簡単だ。

だが、実際はそうじゃない。

目に見えるものが全てだなどというのは、ただの無知と幻想でしかない。

この世には、形に依らない、奇異な存在が無数に存在する。

犬の形をしていながら、人を襲い、人を喰らい、しゃがれた人語を喋る、廃都の黒狗は、果たして「犬」なのだろうか?

それとも、別の何かか?

猫の形をしていながら、自在に気まぐれに人の形にもなれる、美しい白猫は?

鳥の形をしていながら、全く飛ぶ事の出来ない、風のように疾駆する猛禽は?

魚の形をしていながら、陸上でも死なない、人と交配したがる醜悪な怪魚は?

「カタチ」とは、あくまで指標にすぎないものだ。

それに「なれる」指標。

それに「なれるかも知れない」指標。

全ての犬猫や鳥や魚が、努力してそれらになるワケじゃない。

その多くは、生まれついてからその形のモノである。

それでも、「例外」は存在する。

ヒトという生き物は、生まれてくる個体全てが、その「例外」なのだ。[wvl]だから、ヒトは生まれた瞬間に「ヒト」にならない。

努力なしに、「ヒト」になる事が出来ない…………

人の形は、証ではない。

ひどく曖昧な、標に過ぎない。

人の形をしていながら、人を殺すモノがいる。

人の形をしていながら、「ニンゲン」と呼べない者は、いくらでもいる。

全ての形に意味がないのではなく、それはあくまでただの「一面」に過ぎないという事だ。

多くの獣や鳥や魚や虫――――むしろ、その大多数――――は、その形通りの存在である。

あくまで、奇異なるモノは例外中の例外でしかない。

けれど、人間の大多数は、本当に「ニンゲン」なのかどうかも分からないモノばかりだ。

彼等に限り、その形になれる条件は、あくまで存在そのものではなく、「状態」だから。

朝起きて、ニンゲンじゃない者が、昼にはニンゲンであるかも知れない。

昼にはニンゲンだったものが、夜にはケモノかも知れない。

だがそれでも――――

少なくとも、その「状態」でいたいと望むなら。

ほんの一瞬でも、「ニンゲン」の状態になれるなら。

その者は、まだ人になれる可能性を持った、「人」なのだ。

「ニンゲン」とは、罪無き者の呼称ではない。

それでも「そうありたい」と望む者の、呼称なのだ…………

だから、「ニンゲン」は、救われない…………

Incidentally, I deliberately chose an example of DDC's excessive word-soup, with unusual kanji usage and a tendency to use katakana strangely.  Most of DDC  is a 6 or 7, but scenes like this I generally rate between an 8 to a 9.

Clarification: I will post the scenes every Monday and I will stop accepting new translated scenes on Saturday at noon, US central time.

Hints: This is a philosophical monologue by the narrator of the story.  As such, this uses a literary form rather than a conversational form.  As another hint ’とは’ when coming right after another word, usually means they are going to go into a definition or description of the previous word.  This is one of those things that might trip a lot of you up. 

Comment: I gave those hints because the pms I got were all tripping up over the same spots.

2nd Clarification(10/30/2013):  For those who decide to use this thread to help along your translations, I will give you my tlc of the scene, when it is done.  So, please feel free to keep me from using up my stock of good scenes too fast (I only have a few hundred).

Edit: Just noticed I should include the JP script as well. Brb, fixing that now. Edit 2: Yeah I think I fixed that. Probably.

I'm always looking for ways to improve/challenge myself, so this thread seems like a very neat idea.

Anyway, here's my take on the DDC quote, or at least what I could make of it. It was quite difficult indeed, so I can definitely see why you'd rate it as an 8-9.

生物種としての「ヒト」ではなく。

The word "human" denotes not just existence itself; similarly, "man" refers not to mere flesh and blood - rather, it expresses a state of being.

To hope, pray, suffer and struggle with all one's might against such a definition carries in itself the very essence of what it means to be human.

それは、善なるモノではなく、聖なるモノでもない。

Virtue finds it not; holiness eludes it so.

Not chained by beauty, nor exclusively divine.

それでも、それは価値ある「状態」だ。

And yet, there is value to be found in such a condition.

"Man" -as opposed to hounds, pigs or beasts- is an ever elusive concept, rejecting rigid constancy, earning its name by reaching and maintaining that very state...

人は誰もが、人のカタチで生まれてくる。

Human beings are, without exception, born as such - and yet they exist as a certain non-human "something".

Within that cycle that begins with youth and terminates at old age, does man maintain that "condition" which in turn denotes him as a human being.

Floating outside the realm of perceivable "existence", it is instead a "condition" unseen to the naked eye.

――例えば、犬の形をしたものが犬。

猫の形をしたものが猫。

鳥の形をしたものが鳥。

魚の形をしたものが魚。

For instance, that which takes the form of a dog must therefore be a dog.

That which takes the form of a cat can be nothing but a cat.

That which takes the form of a bird is consequently a bird.

And that which takes the form of a fish is what we call a fish.

それで良いなら、話は簡単だ。

だが、実際はそうじゃない。

If only things could be defined so easily, the world would be a simple place.

In reality, it is not so.

Believing the world to be limited to merely what the eye can perceive is the very definition of ignorance, of fallacy.

The universe is home to a myriad of things undefinable by form, unfathomable to the mind.

Can a hound, dark as night, taking the form of a dog, yet attacking and devouring man while speaking a coarse imitation of his language, be truly be labeled as a "dog"? ***(Not too sure what 廃都 was here. A name?)***

それとも、別の何かか?

Or could it be... something entirely different?

Or let us take, for instance, a being that looks like a beaituful white cat, but at the same time, can freely -at will or on a whim- take the form of a human being?

How about something with the features of a bird and utterly incapable of flight, yet at the same time, soaring the skies as a proud falcon would do, becoming one with the wind?

Or a creature that looks like a fish, yet walks on land - an offspring born from the wicked union between men and the unspeakable horrors of the deep?

「カタチ」とは、あくまで指標にすぎないものだ。

それに「なれる」指標。

それに「なれるかも知れない」指標。

"Form" is but the indicator, expressing all that a certain being "can become" or "can potentially become".

全ての犬猫や鳥や魚が、努力してそれらになるワケじゃない。 その多くは、生まれついてからその形のモノである。

Birds and beasts and creatures of the seas reach such potential not through willful aspiration, for they were all born to inhabit their respective forms.

それでも、「例外」は存在する。

Nonetheless, there exist exceptions.

ヒトという生き物は、生まれてくる個体全てが、その「例外」なのだ。

Those living beings known as "men", each and every one of their kind, constitute that very "exception".

***I skipped the next line because, uh... what is [wvl]? Is this a typo or some term I should know the exact context for?***

人の形は、証ではない。 ひどく曖昧な、標に過ぎない。

A man's "shape" proves painfully little - it is but a signifier; a vague symbol at best.

人の形をしていながら、人を殺すモノがいる。

There exist countless beings that take the shape of humans, yet kill their fellow men.

Beings that take the shape of men, yet can under no circumstances be labeled "human".

It would be folly to dismiss all such definitions as meaningless; each one constitutes but one aspect of the whole.

Indeed - birds, beasts and fish alike, all exist according to such principles of form.

あくまで、奇異なるモノは例外中の例外でしかない。

In the end, the peculiar can only be the exception within a sea of exceptions.

However, for the majority of mankind, their own humanity might be a questionable concept in itself.

For them, and only their kind, maintenance of that particular state of being -as opposed to mere "existence"- is the condition to be met in order to inhabit their respective forms.

One may greet the morning sun as a non-human, only to find himself turn human by noon.

Similarly, he who lived as human during the day might shed his skin to reveal the beast with the fall of night.

だがそれでも――――

Despite all that...

少なくとも、その「状態」でいたいと望むなら。

ほんの一瞬でも、「ニンゲン」の状態になれるなら。

Some would desire to maintain that "condition" of theirs, to be able to live as "humans" even for a moment, no matter how brief that very moment may be.

They are the ones we call "men", holding the constant possibility to once again become and live their lives as people.

「ニンゲン」とは、罪無き者の呼称ではない。

"Humans" are hardly free from sin.

Nonetheless, they apply the term to themselves, longing to be such.

だから、「ニンゲン」は、救われない…………

And so, you see... this is precisely why "humans" are far beyond redemption...

It's probably a good idea to summarize you own qualifications in the first post – if you're going to rate others, you must be pretty damn good yourself, so it'd be nice to know if you're maybe a native speaker, or have some JLPT grades, finished TL project etc.

Also I think it'd be more useful for beginner translators if your feedback was in this topic as well, not in PM, so that they could learn w/o embarrassing themselves, just by reading this thread.

I thought about competition, but I don't have any prizes they might want on hand, so calling it a competition probably isn't right.  I probably should have called it a 'lesson'.  As for my qualifications... Telepathy Shoujo Ran (m33w), Dantalian no Shoka (m33w), World Destruction (alias: Sands of Destruction, my first and worst project), Kara no Kyoukai 6 (can't remember the group name, but I did the tlc), Itazura na Kiss(m33w), Special A(m33w), as well as about fifty or so other anime episodes that saw releases for various groups. This included about twenty re-translated episodes of Card Captor Sakura (for a group of enthusiasts), the first nine episodes of Phantom of Inferno for Ayako -before they dropped the project -, all the episodes of Shikabane Hime Aka and two of Kuro, two episodes of the Hellsing OVA that never saw release (that one was a pain), the tlc of two episodes of Kimagure: Orange Road for Live-evil (the original translation on that one was abominable), and the tlc for seventeen episodes of Regios.  I worked tlc for about two thirds of these projects, and it became my specialty.  My own mentor was Xess from m33w, who retired some time ago (wish he hadn't, because my work became a lot harder once he did, lol).  I've also done over a hundred tls that never saw the light of day because of group collapses, which accounts for most of my cynicism when it comes to fantl.

When I was fansubbing, I was something of an elitist, so when I first started playing VNs in Japanese, I was surprised at how the language differed in the games I was playing (my first games were: Jingai Makyou, Dies Irae, Devils Devel Concept, and Tayutama, so that is understandable, I think, lol).  I mostly want to bring people who have just started translation up to a level where they aren't always guessing at the meaning of a sentence.  My translations tend to be slightly more faithful to the original script than some would prefer when I do raw tl, though I'm more liberal when I do regular tlc, as I'm also thinking like an editor when I do it.

From my experience, the only ways to learn how to translate (versus just knowing the language) are to translate (hehe) and to pay attention when a translation-checker sends you a report on just what he changed and why.  If you just 'know Japanese and know the language in question', it really isn't enough to be a first-rate translator, a fact I learned with some dismay during my first fansub project.  The only thing that brings you to that level is translating episode after episode and listening without judgment or defiance when someone corrects you.  (working with Xess was an incredibly humbling experience) 

Edit: Incidentally, I pretty much put down this idea as it came to me without thinking of the wording of the thread title, because I probably would have decided against it if I gave myself time to think about it more.  I'm great at talking myself out of things, especially work that isn't giving me moolah.  haha

Edit2: A bit of advice for people doing tl/tlc on anime vs fantranslations of vns.  Form a good relationship with your partner, and make sure you converse with him/her about the tlc/translation.  Even if you don't take everything your partner says for granted, you can usually find a new way of looking at things through such interactions.  Even during my elitist/jaded/arrogant bastard/etc. days I still had some really interesting conversations with my translation partners, usually learning something new every time.  Also, I don't recall ever being completely satisfied with a raw translation, so don't feel bad if you can't find a configuration that you think matches perfectly.  That's normal and to be expected.  Japanese is incredibly frustrating to translate to English, for a number of reasons: structural, cultural, and conceptual. 

I would love to post here to test and improve my abilities. Sadly my abilities are so low there is no point in even testing them yet, haha.

Hmm, would it be okay if I used dictionaries and tried to translate some of the text and sent it in a PM to you Clephas? Or would that be so mediocre and messy. It would be a waste of time?

I am really up for this!

I desperately need some good concrit to improve as a translator, and this seems like a great opportunity. Am kind of nervous though as I'm not sure how I'll handle criticism.. ^^;

Anyway, I'll get working on it and hopefully have my attempt up tomorrow.

Incidentally, here are the VN candidates I'm thinking of drawing next week's scene from: Ruitomo (first scene 6-7), Yurikago yori Tenshi Made (first scene 7), Gurenka (mmm, yummy protag 7), Dies Irae (Mari's intro scene 8), Evolimit (first scene, 7), Jingai Makyou (first meeting with Kaze no Ushiro ni Ayumu Mono 6).

I'll also take suggestions and scenes that translation groups are having trouble with (combat scenes, philosophy, mix of old and new Japanese, etc.).  I always try to kill two birds with one stone, if possible.

Edit: On request, I'll also post accompanying pics and CG's, if that will help.  In some cases, it would help with understanding the tone of the scene, if nothing else, lol.  Modified the first post with two polls for those interested in helping decide how I do this.

Okay, here's my version. Please note that I'm not English native speaker, so "you need to know more English" is just as valid criticism for me as "you need to know more moon". And thanks for doing this, Clephas.

Btw, this small script left strong impression on me, so I'm going to read the source soon.

Word "human" does not mean a form of life, it defines a state of being...
生物種としての「ヒト」ではなく。
It's not just a creature by the name of "man".
Hopes and wishes, struggling and suffering – that's what a human is.
それは、善なるモノではなく、聖なるモノでもない。
Bound to neither good nor evil.
Imperfect as they are, and not necessary high-minded.
それでも、それは価値ある「状態」だ。
But still this state of being has its value.
Unlike dogs, pigs or monsters, it's not that easy to be a human.
It's not something you can just arbitrary decide on.
If you haven't straggled up to the title, if you're not making efforts to maintain it – you won't be called human.
人は誰もが、人のカタチで生まれてくる。
All people are born in human form.
But they're not human yet, just "something".
They gain this title though growth and aging, and have to maintain it as they live.
It's not a physical existance that can be seen with our eyes. It's a state of being that we can't ascertain just like this.
――例えば、犬の形をしたものが犬。
For example, what looks like a dog is a dog.
猫の形をしたものが猫。
What looks like a cat is a cat.
鳥の形をしたものが鳥。
What looks like a bird is a bird.
魚の形をしたものが魚。
And what looks lik a fish is a fish.
それで良いなら、話は簡単だ。
If this were true, life would be so much simplier.
だが、実際はそうじゃない。
But this is not the case.
Thinking that everything is only what you see is just ignorance and delusions.
There are countless things in this world that are not what they look like.
Is something that looks like a dog, but attacks and devours humans, and can even talk in a hoarse voice – namely Haitonokurainu – can be considered a dog?
それとも、別の何かか?
Or is it something else?
What about the thing that looks like a cat, but can take human form at will – beautiful Shironeko?
Or a bird that can't fly, but moves fast as wind – Moukin?
Or a fish that don't die ashore and is eager to mate with humans – ugly Kaigyo?
「カタチ」とは、あくまで指標にすぎないものだ。
Physical form is no more than just a conventionality.
それに「なれる」指標。
Only a hint to what one can be.
それに「なれるかも知れない」指標。
And to what one could possibly become.
No matter how much efforts regular cats and dogs make, they can't become those monsters.
その多くは、生まれついてからその形のモノである。
They were born what they are and can't change their nature.
それでも、「例外」は存在する。
But there are exceptions.
All human beings are born as such exceptions. And that's why when you're born as a human being, you're not a human yet.
努力なしに、「ヒト」になる事が出来ない…………
Without great effort one can't be a human.
人の形は、証ではない。
And human form is not a proof of bein one.
ひどく曖昧な、標に過ぎない。
Just a very subtle hint to a possibility.
人の形をしていながら、人を殺すモノがいる。
There are things that look like a man, but kill other men.
There are plenty of those who, despite looking like a human, can't be called one.
It doesn't mean that physical form has no meaning at all, but it is no more than just a surface.
Most of living things exist according to their form.
あくまで、奇異なるモノは例外中の例外でしかない。
And those who become something else are exceptions among exceptions.
But you can't say for sure about most human beings if they are actually "human" or not.
For them attaining this title is not a matter of physical form, but a state of being.
One can wake up in the morning not being a human, and become one before noon.
And the one being human at noon may easily become a monster at night.
だがそれでも――――
But still...
少なくとも、その「状態」でいたいと望むなら。
If one wishes to reach this state...
ほんの一瞬でも、「ニンゲン」の状態になれるなら。
And even if for a moment can attaing it...
This person is still just a human being who holds possibilites to change.
「ニンゲン」とは、罪無き者の呼称ではない。
"Human" is not something set once and for all.
It's an ever changing state of being for those who desire the title.
だから、「ニンゲン」は、救われない…………
And tha't why humans are beyond saving...

So far, it looks like feelings on images are mixed, whereas a lot of people want to read Marie's intro scene.  If I could, I would show you the scene clip, but I'm too lazy to record a video of it running in auto and post it to Youtube (and most likely getting it taken down within minutes for copyright violation). 

Ok, this is not so hard? Here is my try

"Human" is not a thing of "existence", it is word to indicate a certain "state"............

生物種としての「ヒト」ではなく。

It is not "person" as a species of living thing.

That is, desiring, wishing, struggling, suffering, that "state" is assuredly "human".

それは、善なるモノではなく、聖なるモノでもない。

That is, neither a thing that becomes good, nor holy thing.

Not seeming to be a beautiful thing, and not necessarily noble thing.

それでも、それは価値ある「状態」だ。

Nevertheless, that is a "state" that has merit.

Not dog nor pig nor ghost, the thing to be "human" is exceedingly difficult............

That is, it isn't like a thing that is decided, even with doing nothing.

If not arriving there, and without maintaining that, that name is not permitted.

人は誰もが、人のカタチで生まれてくる。

Everyone is born in the form of a person.

However, that is nothing but "something" that is still not a "person".

Within that process of growing and aging, the "state" of continuing and improving, for sure, is assuredly the name of "human".

That is not a clearly seen form------------"existence", it is assuredly not clearly seen form------------"state".

――例えば、犬の形をしたものが犬。

------For example, a dog-shaped thing is a dog.

猫の形をしたものが猫。

A cat-shaped thing is a cat.

鳥の形をしたものが鳥。

A bird-shaped thing is a bird.

魚の形をしたものが魚。

A fish-shaped thing is a fish.

それで良いなら、話は簡単だ。

If that is agreeable, the story is simple.

だが、実際はそうじゃない。

However, reality is not so.

All the clearly visible things, is just nothing but ignorance and illusion.

In this world, there exists infinite number of odd existences, not depend on shape.

Attacking persons, eating persons, and talking hoarse human speech, while having shape of a dog, would the black dog of the useless capital really be "dog"?

それとも、別の何かか?

Or else, something different?

As for the beautiful white cat, that can freely, whimly become form of a person, while having the shape of a cat?

As for the bird of prey, that drives fast like wind, entirely unable to fly, while having the shape of a bird?

As for the ugly mysterious fish, not dying even upon land, that wants to crossbreed with human, while having the shape of a fish?

「カタチ」とは、あくまで指標にすぎないものだ。

The "shape" is no more than a persistent indicator.

それに「なれる」指標。

Moreover, a "familiar" indicator.

それに「なれるかも知れない」指標。

Moreover, a "possibly familiar" indicator.

It doesn't mean that all cats and dogs and birds and fish, can become those with great effort.

その多くは、生まれついてからその形のモノである。

Many of that, are things of that shape from birth.

それでも、「例外」は存在する。

Nevertheless, "exception" exists.

All individuals born, living things called persons, is assuredly that "exception".[wvl]Therefore, persons, at moment born, doesn't become "person".

努力なしに、「ヒト」になる事が出来ない…………

Without great effort, it is not possible to become "person"............

人の形は、証ではない。

The shape of a person, is not proof.

ひどく曖昧な、標に過ぎない。

It is only nothing more than an awfully vague mark.

人の形をしていながら、人を殺すモノがいる。

There is a thing that kills a person, while having the shape of a person.

There are as many persons as one likes, that cannot be called "human", while having the shape of a person.

It is not that there is no meaning in the shape overall, that is just purely a matter of "one face".

Many beasts and birds and fish and insects------------rather, the great majority of that------------exist in accordance with the shape.

あくまで、奇異なるモノは例外中の例外でしかない。

After all, the odd things is nothing but an exception amongst exceptions.

However, it is just that I do not know whether the majority of human beings, is truly "human".

Because for only those, the condition to be able to become that form, is "state", not purely existence.

A person who is not human wake up in the morning, may be a human at noon.

The person who was human at noon, may be a beast at night.

だがそれでも――――

But, nevertheless------------

少なくとも、その「状態」でいたいと望むなら。

At least, if one desires to want that "state".

ほんの一瞬でも、「ニンゲン」の状態になれるなら。

Even if only an instant, if one can become the state of a "human".

That person, that still held the potentiality to become a person, is assuredly a "person".

「ニンゲン」とは、罪無き者の呼称ではない。

"Human" is not a designation of an innocent person.

Nevertheless, the person that desires "I want to be so", is assuredly designated............

だから、「ニンゲン」は、救われない…………

Therefore, "human" is not saved............

“Humanity” isn’t defined by “existence”, rather it’s a word to describe a “condition”

生物種としての「ヒト」ではなく。
Not every creature is a “Human”.

Wishes, desires, sufferings, and struggles are the “conditions” that makes something “Human”

それは、善なるモノではなく、聖なるモノでもない。
It’s not good or anything sacred.

It’s not something beautiful and it’s not always something noble either.

それでも、それは価値ある「状態」だ。
But still it’s a valued “state”.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a dog, pig or some monster; “Humanity” is something very complicated.

It’s not something decided by random.

The people that obtain this the title but do not maintain it do not deserve that title.

人は誰もが、人のカタチで生まれてくる。
No matter who the person is, he is born with a human body.

But still that person is not a “Human” but only “Something”.

Preserving that “condition” in the process of growing up gives the person the title of “Human”.

“Existence” isn’t what’s physically there but the unseen “state”.

――例えば、犬の形をしたものが犬。
For example, a dog has the shape of a dog.

猫の形をしたものが猫。
A cat has the shape of a cat.

鳥の形をしたものが鳥。
A bird has the shape of a bird.

魚の形をしたものが魚。
A fish has the shape of a Fish.

それで良いなら、話は簡単だ。
If that’s all, then this conversation would be easy.

だが、実際はそうじゃない。
But it isn’t actually like that.

What we see are only ignorance and illusions.

This world contains countless number of strange beings not confined by their form.

If Haito’s black dog looked like a dog but spoke human language, attacked and devoured humans, is it still considered a “dog”? ( I have no idea what廃都の黒狗 is).

それとも、別の何かか?
Or is it something else?

What about a beautiful white cat that can freely take form of a human being?

What about a predatorily bird that goes as fast as the wind but could not fly?

What an abomination fish that doesn’t die above water and mates with humans?

「カタチ」とは、あくまで指標にすぎないものだ。
In the end, shape is nothing more than an indicator.

それに「なれる」指標。
Something it can be.

それに「なれるかも知れない」指標。
Something it might become.

It doesn’t mean an animal can become that even if they tried.
その多くは、生まれついてからその形のモノである。
There are a lot of things born with their form because they are born.

それでも、「例外」は存在する。
But there are exceptions.

Each individual born living thing called “Humans” is the exception. Because of “wvl” the moment a human is born, he isn’t a “human” anymore.

努力なしに、「ヒト」になる事が出来ない…………
Even if he tried, he cannot become “Human”.

人の形は、証ではない。
His form doesn’t prove he’s human.

ひどく曖昧な、標に過ぎない。
It’s just nothing more than a very vague mark.

人の形をしていながら、人を殺すモノがいる。
There are things taking the shape of a human and kill people.

There are people that look human but are not called “human”.

I’m not saying that a form has no meaning at all. It’s just nothing more than a “face”.

Most of the beasts, bugs, fish---- in fact almost all of them----- exist as they are.

あくまで、奇異なるモノは例外中の例外でしかない。
In the end strange things exists only within exceptions of exceptions.

But we’re not sure if the majority of the people are really “Humans” or just things.

In the case that people meet that requirement, it’s not because of their existence but their “condition”.

In the beginning they’re not human, in the middle they might be human.

In the middle they are human, but at the end they might be beasts.

だがそれでも――――
Nonetheless

少なくとも、その「状態」でいたいと望むなら。
They wish to at least to be in that “situation”

ほんの一瞬でも、「ニンゲン」の状態になれるなら。
They are allowed to be “Human” even for a second…

That person holds the possibility to become human again because he’s “Human”

「ニンゲン」とは、罪無き者の呼称ではない。
“Humanity” is not free of sins.

Still they’re still designated to as people that “wish to be”.

だから、「ニンゲン」は、救われない…………
That’s why “Humanity” cannot be saved.

Hm.. I feel like i'm very off the mark. Please help me improve ;_;. I have random capitalizations in there thats just a habit.

I'm glad we've got more people on board.  I already did tlcs for the first three... just one more.  I will make one general comment: the greatest weakness I'm seeing so far is not a lack of Japanese comprehension for the most part (despite some iffy moments with verb tenses and forms) but rather a difficulty with English.  This is fairly common, especially with non-native speakers of English.  It is also nothing to be ashamed about.  It is quite possible to become a great translator, even if your English is a little hazy.  Xess, my own mentor, was a native Malaysian... and he managed quite well by being meticulous in his research and improving his comprehension through hard work and experience. 

Also, don't feel down if you have trouble with scenes like this one... if you don't have any trouble at all with this scene, you should probably be doing pro work by now.  I have the advantages of an obsessive passion for Japanese as a language in and of itself, a solid initial education in the language, and of writing in English for a living.  Not to mention years of experience more in playing Japanese-only games, reading Japanese-only books, and watching raw anime.  In another two or three years, I suspect at least some of you will be at my level or better, if you don't get bored with being an otaku or a translator.

Edit: Incidentally, scenes like this one are very unforgiving of the kind of paraphrasing and simplification that is common in localizations and fantranslations.  A single misplaced word can and will entirely change the meaning of the sentence and seeming redundancies have more meaning than it might seem on the surface.  In other words, scenes like this are a translator's worst nightmare, while only being difficult for the non-Japanese reader.  I chose to be evil in my choice of a first scene for the simple reason that I don't want people to accuse me of setting the hurdle higher later.  To put it simply, if you can handle scenes like this, with their twisty and often surprisingly subtle word choices, you can probably handle anything a lesser VN can throw at you. 

Nightmare though it may be, I feel such scenes are what make translating worthwhile.

お手柔らかに…

"Human" is a word for not a "being," but a certain "condition" ...

生物種としての「ヒト」ではなく。
Not "man" as a living species.

No. To hope, to wish, to struggle, to suffer—such "condition" is to be "human."

それは、善なるモノではなく、聖なるモノでもない。
It is not something of good, nor is it something of sanctity.

That which is pretty is not so, and the sublime is not necessarily all that either.

それでも、それは価値ある「状態」だ。
Even so, it is a "condition" of worth.

Not a dog, not a pig, not a monster, a "human" is very problematic....

That is, even while static, it is not something to be defined.

To attain it yet not preserve is to be denied such a name.

人は誰もが、人のカタチで生まれてくる。
Concerning people, everybody is born with human form.

However, such is not yet a "person," but only a "something" and nothing more.

To develop and age and to preserve the "condition" in its course―that is the calling of a "human."

It is not the "being," the form visible, but the "condition," the form invisible.

――例えば、犬の形をしたものが犬。
Suppose, hypothetically: That what takes the appearance of a dog is a dog.

猫の形をしたものが猫。
That what takes the appearance of a cat is a cat.

鳥の形をしたものが鳥。
That what takes the appearance of a bird is a bird.

魚の形をしたものが魚。
That what takes the appearance of a fish is a fish.

それで良いなら、話は簡単だ。
Should this suffice, the matter is simple.

だが、実際はそうじゃない。
But the fact is, things are not so.

To say what is visible is everything and the like is but simple ignorance and delusion.

In this world, strange beings, independent of appearance, exist in countless numbers.

Is the black dog of a metropolis defunct who attacks and devours people and speaks a hoarse human speech, having the appearance of a dog nonetheless, ultimately a "dog"?

それとも、別の何かか?
Or is it something else?

What about the cat, white and beautiful, who can freely turn into a human on a whim?

The bird of prey who utterly cannot fly and gallops like the wind?

The hideous monster fish who does not die on land and wants to mate with humans?

「カタチ」とは、あくまで指標にすぎないものだ。
"Form," in the end, is no more than a mark.

それに「なれる」指標。
The "can be" mark.

それに「なれるかも知れない」指標。
The "can maybe be" mark.

This is not to say that all the dogs and cats and birds and fish are each their own out of effort.

その多くは、生まれついてからその形のモノである。
Many are of the appearance with which they were born.

それでも、「例外」は存在する。
And yet, "exceptions" exist.

For the creature called man, every individual brought forth is such an "exception." Therefore, man does not become "man" the instant born.

努力なしに、「ヒト」になる事が出来ない…………
Without effort, he cannot become "man." ...

人の形は、証ではない。
The human appearance is not a hallmark.

ひどく曖昧な、標に過ぎない。
It is no more than a terribly vague sign.

人の形をしていながら、人を殺すモノがいる。
Despite having the appearance of a human, there are things who kill people.

Despite having the appearance of a human, there are plenty of beings whom one cannot call "humans."

It is not that there is no meaning in any appearance, but that in the end, appearance is no more than one, simple "facet."

Many animals, birds and fish and insects—most, rather—are just as they are in appearance.

あくまで、奇異なるモノは例外中の例外でしかない。
In the end, the strange are merely the exceptions within exceptions.

However, most humans are such that one does not know whether they are truly "humans."

And it is because the condition for being able to be such, a form unique to them, is not existance, but the "condition."

The being that wakes up not a human might be a human by day.

And though it was a human by day, it might be a beast by night.

だがそれでも――――
But nevertheless—

少なくとも、その「状態」でいたいと望むなら。
Should it desire to be of the "condition" in the least—

ほんの一瞬でも、「ニンゲン」の状態になれるなら。
Should it be able to be "human" for even just an instant—

Then that being is a "person," one still with the potential to be so.

「ニンゲン」とは、罪無き者の呼称ではない。
"Human" is not the designation of the sinless.

It is of those who desire "to be so." ...

だから、「ニンゲン」は、救われない…………
And thus, there is no saving "humans." ...

And the winner is... Dies Irae.  Well, here you go, cry your eyes out. For now, since those who wanted pics with the scenes are leading, I went ahead and posted a pic for it.  There are now two free slots for the potential scene for next week.  If we don't get anymore votes, it'll be Jingai Makyou, though.  Please vote again if you voted for Dies Irae. 

A few words for you all... girochin is guillotine, Kaliostoro is Cagliostro, and there are a few others in there that should be obvious like Paracelsus and Count St-Germain.  Good luck, all.

marie-1.jpg

悲劇の定義について考えてみようと思う。

簡単かつ有り体に結論を出してしまえば、おそらく重度の喪失を指す概念。

大事な誰か、あるいは何かを失うことで、人の魂にはそのカタチをした穴があく。

心の隙間、精神の亀裂……それを生じさせる出来事が、一般に悲劇と言われるものではないだろうか。

しかし、一概に大事なものといったところで、人の価値観は多種多様。

家族や友人、恋人などがその最上位に来やすいという一般論はあるものの、それらを失っても何一つ感じない人種がいるのを俺はよく知っている。

なら、万人に共通する悲劇とは何なのか。

とある本には、何を無くしたかではなく、どのように無くしたかが重要なのだと書かれていた。

落としたり見失ったりするよりも、奪われたり壊されたりするほうがより強い悲劇であると。

本当にそうなのだろうか。

分かりやすい加害者が存在する悲劇には、怒りという逃げ道が存在する。

簒奪者を憎むことで悲しみを忘れられるし、復讐という人生の目標まで与えてもらえる。

そんなものが、本当に混じり気のない悲劇なのか?

辛いというのは分かるけど。

それは俺レベルの凡人に該当する話であり、ここではもっと深いところを考えたい。

実際、人の精神というものは良く出来ており、強いマイナス感情を連続して持ち続ければ安全弁が作動する。

つまり、怒りや悲しみが快感に、それを過ぎれば無関心に。

何らかのカタチで心は均衡を保とうとし、歪であっても傷は修復されていく。

ならば――

塞がらない亀裂、癒えない傷口、常に出血をし続けている悲劇とは、どんなものを指すのだろうか。

もし、そんなものが有り得るのなら、それはきっと最初から持つことを許されないという存在。

その手は空虚。

何も掴めないがゆえに無くすことすら出来ず、最初から欠けているがゆえに癒すことも出来ない。

永遠の迷い児。

そんな、少女の夢を見た。

彼女の誕生にまつわる、忌まわしい物語を。

1793年――フランス、ブルターニュのサン・マロに一組の夫婦がいた。

夫はたくましく正直な港湾労働者で、妻は美しく気立てのよい女性だった。

彼らは幸せな生活を営んでいたと言っていい。

吹き荒れる革命思想の嵐は市民の考えを百八十度転換させ、貴族と僧侶が絶対の悪であると刷り込んではいたものの、夫婦はそれに疑問を持たず、わけも分からないまま憎悪する程度には愚鈍でいることが出来たのだから。

自分たちがいま幸せなのは、若い頃に援助の手を差し伸べてくれたある僧侶のお陰だということを、思い出すことが出来なかった。

彼は僧侶であり、僧侶は悪……夫の頭ではこの単純明快な論理に反駁することなど不可能だったし、妻はさらに熱狂的な共和派の信者だった。

処刑の日には何時間も前からギロチンの足下に陣取って、編物をしながら首が落ちるのを見物してしまうほど。

子を宿し、出産の日が迫っても、妻は毎日のように処刑場へと足を運んだ。

夫は彼女の騎士として、愛しい妻を特等席へとエスコートし続けた。

ギロチンが落ちる。首が飛ぶ。血、血、血、血が欲しい。

熱狂の祭りを仲良く見物した後に、二人はまもなく生まれる我が子の未来を語り合いつつ、家路につく。

幸せな夫婦。

彼らはごく真っ当であり、その価値観も、この時代においては善良な一市民の典型例にすぎない。

だが……

収穫祭のある日、サン・マロでは興味深い処刑が行われようとしていた。

犠牲者は救世主教会の前任司祭……この老聖職者を知らぬ者は誰一人としていなかったし、彼が処刑台でどんな表情を浮かべるのかと、皆がそれを見たがった。

当然、仲睦まじい夫婦もその例外ではない。

ギロチンの足下……妻は群集の中で激しい陣痛に襲われたが、英雄的な力で叫び声を封じ込め、僧侶が処刑台に上がる瞬間を待ちわびた。

彼らの父親代わりであった老司祭……サン・マロに生きる貧しい者たちの父として、尊敬と愛情の対象であった聖職者……

しかし、彼は敵なのだ。悪であり、罰せられるべき存在なのだ。

その首は断たれなければならない。

だというのに、その日、そこには死刑執行人の姿がなかった。

“なんてこと……”

妻の呻きは、失望に塗れていた。

徳のある僧侶を処刑することに、恐れをなし逃げたのか。

共和国の役人が執行者の代役を群集に呼びかけるが、人々の心には老司祭に対する同情が蘇り、誰も名乗りあげようとしない。

このままでは、処刑が中止になってしまう。

“あなた……お願い……”

激しい陣痛の中、妻は縋るように夫の袖を握りしめた。馬鹿正直な彼にとって、それは至上命令と同じである。

“わたしがやりましょう!”

そう叫ぶや、処刑台の階段を駆け上った夫の勇姿に、妻は喜びの声をあげ、お気に入りの歌を歌い上げた。

血、血、血、血が欲しい。

ギロチンに注ごう、飲み物を。

ギロチンの渇きを癒すため。

欲しいのは、血、血、血。

おなじみのリフレインが、群集の同情心を魔法のごとくかき消していく。

喜びの輪が広がっていき、血生臭い大合唱が処刑場に木霊していく。

血、血、血、血が欲しい。

ギロチンに注ごう、飲み物を。

ギロチンの渇きを癒すため。

欲しいのは、血、血、血。

祝福の中、夫は代役を果たすべく恩人の首を切り落とし、妻への愛と国への忠誠心を証明した。

それは名誉。

誇らしいことであり、なんら恥ずべきことではない。

ゆえに妻のもとへと戻った時、彼女の腕に女の赤ん坊が抱かれているのを見て、感激にむせび泣いた。

“この子は祭りの日に生まれた。神様はこの子を幸せにする義務がある”

そう、神は許さない。

“なんて愛らしい。きっと誰もがこの子に夢中になる”

そう、誰一人として忘れない。

“マルグリット――サン・マロの宝石”

呪われた罰当たり児。

ギロチンの足下で生まれた少女。

その首には斬痕のような痣が刻まれ、生涯消えることはない。

十を過ぎても言葉を覚えず、ようやく口を開いた時に紡がれたのは、断頭台のリフレイン。

母は気が触れ、狂死した。

父は首切り人と蔑まれ、密輸の罪でギロチンにかけられた。

彼女に罪などありはしない。

親の因果が子に報い……それは不条理な世の一つのカタチ。

ろくに言葉を発することなく、口を開けば血のリフレイン。

彼女が一歩外に出ると、町全体が不気味に静まり返るのみ。

その痛ましい狂気。誕生にまつわる忌まわしさ。

恐怖と、嫌悪と、忌避と、憎悪と……それらに晒されて育った少女は、失う以前に何も持っていなかった。

痴愚でこそなかったものの、まともに機能しない感情は哀しいという意味さえ分からない。

ゆえに悲劇。

滑稽でさえある外れ者。

美しいマルグリットに乱暴を働こうとする者も何人かは存在したが、彼女に触れた者は例外なく首が飛んだ。

ギロチンの加護。

触れれば斬れる呪いを纏う。

美は儚さであり、蹂躙される危険あってこそのものだと仮定すれば、彼女の美貌は美に非ず。醜にもなれぬ虚無だろう。

その永遠性。

両親が死んでからは犬猫のように徘徊し、何を食べているのか何処で寝ているのか誰も分からないにも関わらず、彼女はやつれも朽ちもしなかった。

あれは人間じゃない。

そう言われるのも、なるほど必然の成り行きだったと言えるだろう。

陳腐だが、魔女であると……そう断罪されても仕方ないほどマルグリットは外れていたし、彼女に触れて死んだ者は既に百を超えている。

生かしてはおけない存在であり、埋葬しなければならない過去だった。

だから……

マルグリットは捕らえられ、処刑場へと引き立てられる。

触れることが出来ない以上、その扱いは器具を介したものであり、家畜を追い立てるに等しい行為。

それでも、マルグリットは抵抗をしなかった。彼女がもしその気になれば、捕り手たちを皆殺しにすることも可能だったはずだろうに。

では、なぜそうしなかったか。

答えは簡単。マルグリットは死と処刑の意味を分かっていない。

斬首は彼女にとっての日常であり、飛ぶのが他人の首でも自分の首でも、そこに違いを見出せない。

処刑台の上。

あの日、父が代役を務めた場であり、自分が生まれた始まりの場所。

遠く夕焼けを眺めながら、マルグリットは無垢な心で歌いだした。

血のリフレイン。断頭台の賛美歌。祈りのような神の呪いを。

「あぁ……」

それは生涯初めての、そして最後になると思われた人としての彼女の言葉。

しかしこの時、マルグリットは悟っていたのだ。

「わたしは、ずっとここにいるのね」

その言葉が、耳に焼き付いて離れない。

群衆の中、戯れにそれを見物していた男は魂を打ち砕かれた。

かつてサン・ジェルマンと名乗り、パラケルススと名乗り、ファウストともローゼンクロイツともマグヌスとも名乗った流浪の男。

アレッサンドロ・ディ・カリオストロは、彼女の在り方に打ちのめされた。

あれは法則から外れている。

死してもその場に留まり続け、永劫に回帰をしない至高の魂。

ならば私は、彼女を救済することに全てを懸けよう。

彼女の前に跪き、この身は奴隷と成り果てよう。

どこまでも麗しい、断頭台の姫君。
T
 それに相応しい首飾りを与えることこそ、私の求める究極の――

そうして刑は執行され、マルグリットは花と散った。

しかし、サン・マロの宝石はそれで輝きを損なわない。

もとより何も持たずに生まれた少女……ゆえに生を奪われることも、死を与えられることも有り得ない。

以来、彼女はただ一人。

永遠の黄昏の中、今も歌い続けている。

あまりに甘く、あまりに切なく、天使のような歌声で、呪われたリフレインを。

それに俺は、怒りを覚えた。

悲しむことも泣くことも知らない彼女の代わりに、俺が怒らなければ救いがなさ過ぎると強く思った。

余計なお世話であり、偽善の類と言えるだろう。

だけど俺は、マリィの人生に胸が震える。

なぜこの子が、こんな目に遭わなければいけないのか。

何が悪くて、何が間違っていたというのか。

真実、神というものがいるのなら、そいつこそが呪われるべきだろうと――

「やっぱり、カリオストロとよく似ていますね」

誰もが恐れ、忌み嫌う少女に魅せられた者同士。

「あなたは、あの人の代わりなんでしょう?」

それは否定したくても、出来ないこと。

「レン、わたしの愛しい人……」

彼女は、その言葉の意味をどれだけ理解しているのか。

「これからは、一緒」

ただ、彼女の成り立ちを知り、これから先の戦いを見据えた結果。

「ああ……一緒だ」

俺には、拒絶の意志など持ち得ようはずがない。

だからマリィの手を取り、そう答えていた。

同情であり、打算であり、そして真実でもある契り。

罪悪感が胸を刺す。

俺もまた、“奴”と同じく彼女を救いたいと思っているのに、その存在を凶器としてしか使えないジレンマ。

だからだろうか……

全ての決着がついた後、マリィに人生をやり直させることが出来たなら、それはどんなに素晴らしいことだろうと――

そんな、夢みたいなことを思ったのは。

lol... for those who want a reference point on how hard this scene is in relation to the rest of Dies Irae... I'd say it is a bit above the middle.  The daily-life scenes are the easiest, with the combat scenes, as well as Mercurius' and Reinhardt's conversations, being the hardest. If you have seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes, you will probably recognize Reinhardt's way of speaking (saying 'kei' when he says 'you' for instance), and Mercurius speaks in a slightly melodramatic, slightly archaic dialect.  Since Mercurius is the one speaking in most of the scene (save for the last dozen or so lines and the two lines where Marie is speaking) you can get an idea of what it is like.  To be honest, I wanted to post a playthrough video of this scene, simply because it is one of those rare scenes that has impact on its own, even without the game's greater context.

Is DI that problematic with Youtube in terms of copyright infringement? I have a couple of Dies videos on my channel and they weren't taken down. (then again, that could always change).

In the meantime, do you happen to have a save file for that scene? If there is voice acting, it would help to read it like that for maximum effect for those that have the game.

I uninstalled it quite some time ago.  I have a tendency to extract to notepad any scenes I take a particular liking to linguistically, and I'm drawing from those for my selections so far.  It isn't that far in (basically, its the point where the protag takes the irreversible step of accepting his fate, like all chuuni protags do, lol).  Basically, after you see a cg of a girl carrying around a decapitated head, you will be there by the next scene.  If you are interested, that is.

Here's the DI scene. Not entirely satisfied with it but what the hell, might as well post it. In the end I couldn't be bothered to sit and fast-forward until the scene came along so I translated it without the game. And I get the feeling I should've been aware of the larger context for the last dozen or so lines, I'm not very confident in those.

悲劇の定義について考えてみようと思う。

Let us dwell upon the defintion of tragedy.

If we were to draw a conclusion in the simplest and most straightforward manner possible, no doubt we would say that the word itself denotes the concept of loss.

As people lose someone or something dear to them, a hole opens in their soul.

A crack in the heart, a fissure in the mind... the very thing capable of inducing such a thing in mankind is what we collectively refer to as tragedy.

And yet, we have to conclude that each and every person values things differently in terms of what they hold dear.

Although the majority would no doubt readily hold family, friends and lovers in the highest regard, I do know -all too well- that people failing to shed a single tear upon losing such things also exist in this world.

なら、万人に共通する悲劇とは何なのか。

If so, how can we truly define tragedy to apply to the masses at large?

A certain book writes that it is not the loss, but the way in which it happened, is what matters the most.

Rather than merely losing sight of, or misplacing something, it is a far greater tragedy to have been forcefully robbed of such things, or to have them destroyed.

本当にそうなのだろうか。

I wonder - is that really how things are?

Anger is one way of solace when faced with the tragedies that have a clear-cut villain.

Loathing he who had robbed us of all makes us forget our sadness, and even gives us a clear goal in life, known as vengeance.                                                                                                                
 そんなものが、本当に混じり気のない悲劇なのか?       

Could such a thing truly be labeled tragedy in its purest form?           

辛いというのは分かるけど。

I do understand how agonizing it all is.

And yet I would prefer to consider this more deeply than what would merely apply to a person as ordinary as I.

Man's mind is a clever construct. It activates a certain safety mechanism should it ever be overwhelmed by negative emotions for a longer period of time.

Anger and sorrow turn to pleasure, while anything exceeding those turns to apathy.

The heart regains its balance, and no matter how warped a form it may take, its wounds will be healed.

ならば――

With that in mind...

I would say that tragedy therefore denotes the unclosing fissure; the unhealing, ever-bleeding wound.

If such a being existed, it would be something that was never allowed to possess anything to begin with.

その手は空虚。

Its grasp, empty.

As it is unable to take hold of anything, neither is it capable of losing it. A being that was born deficient, and may consequently never heal.

永遠の迷い児。

An eternally lost child.

そんな、少女の夢を見た。

I dreamt of such a girl...

彼女の誕生にまつわる、忌まわしい物語を。

...and the cruel tale of her birth.

The year was 1793; the place: France, Brittany; a married couple in Saint Malo.

The husband was a well-built dockhand; his wife, a beautiful woman of agreeable disposition.

彼らは幸せな生活を営んでいたと言っていい。

They were leading what we could easily call a happy life.

吹き荒れる革命思想の嵐は市民の考えを百八十度転換させ、貴族と僧侶が絶対の悪であると刷り込んではいたものの、夫婦はそれに疑問を持たず、わけも分からないまま憎悪する程度には愚鈍でいることが出来たのだから。

The fierce storm of the Revolutuion's ideas caused the thinking of the town's residents to shift violently: nobles and clergymen were established as the absolute villains, and the married couple, without questioning that judgement, accepted it as truth and indulged in blind, foolish hatred.

They failed to remember that, in their time of youth, it was a certain clergyman's assisstance that eventually brought them their current happiness.

He was a clergyman, and therefore evil... in the husband's mind, this plain and simple conclusion was irrefutable. Her wife was a devout Republican, even more zealous than he.

So devout, in fact, that she would wait at the foot of the guillotine many hours before the appointed execution, and proceed to watch the heads fall as she busied herself with her knitting.

Even as she was heavy with child, and in the later stages of pregnancy, she would nonetheless make her way to the execution site every single day.

The husband, her knight in shining armor, would continue to escort his lovely wife to her special seat day after day.

The blade of the guillotine falls; heads roll. It thirsts for blood, blood, blood.

After thoroughly enjoying that festival of madness, the two would make their way home while discussing the future of their soon-to-be-born child.

幸せな夫婦。

They were a happy couple.

They were upstanding citizens: their sense of values merely reflected the thinking of the respectable townsfolk of the era.

だが……

However...

One day, during the harvest festival, Saint Malo came to hold an execution of particular interest.

The victim was a former pastor of the Church of Christ. The aged clergyman was well-known among the townsfolk, and so, everyone wished to see his expression as he was led to the scaffold.

当然、仲睦まじい夫婦もその例外ではない。

Naturally, the good married couple was no exception.

At the foot of the guillotine, the wife entered labor, but with near-heroic effort, endured the pain and  muffled her own screams, waiting in anticipation for the priest to climb the scaffold.

(Changed the sentence order here on purpose, even though the "pain" part comes before 英雄的な力.)

The aged pastor was a father figure to the poor and needy; a holy man who earned their love and admiration.

And yet, he was the enemy. A figure of wickedness, deserving punishment.

その首は断たれなければならない。

His head needs to fall.

And yet, on that day, the executioner was nowhere to be found.

“なんてこと……”

"Ah, what misfortune..."

妻の呻きは、失望に塗れていた。

The wife moaned with a sigh of disappointment.

Did she dread the execution of a certain benevolent priest?

The Republican officials called for a new executioner from the crowd. However, the deep affection they all felt for the priest re-emerged from the depths of their hearts, and so, not a single on of them dared to speak.

このままでは、処刑が中止になってしまう。

At this rate, the execution would be cancelled.

“あなた……お願い……”

My love... I beg of you...

Even as she was overcome by violent pain, the wife clung desperately onto her husband's sleeve. To the foolishly naive husband, her action was an order he could not ignore.

“わたしがやりましょう!”

Let me do it!

The wife, watching the gallant figure of her husband ascend the steps to the scaffold, raised her voice and broke into a favorite song of hers.

血、血、血、血が欲しい。

It thirsts for blood, blood, blood.

ギロチンに注ごう、飲み物を。

Let the guillotine have a taste.

ギロチンの渇きを癒すため。

Let the guillotine's thirst be quenched.

*although I realize it actually says "in order to quench its thirst.*

欲しいのは、血、血、血。

It thirst for blood, blood, blood.

The familiar refrain, as if soaked in sorcery, melted the crowd's symphathy towards the priest.

The joyful circle spread far as the vile, blood-thirsty refrain echoed, its words sweeping across the execution site.

血、血、血、血が欲しい。

It thirst for blood, blood blood.

ギロチンに注ごう、飲み物を。

Let the guillotine have a taste.

ギロチンの渇きを癒すため。

Let the guillotine's thirst be quenched.

欲しいのは、血、血、血。

It thirsts for blood, blood, blood.

Surrounded by blessings, the husband proved his love towards his wife, as well as loyalty to his country, by beheading his very own benefactor.

それは名誉。

It was an honor.

誇らしいことであり、なんら恥ずべきことではない。

Hardly a shameful act; rather, something to be proud of.

And so, as he returned to her wife's side and beheld the female newborn in her arms, he was overcome by deep emotion.

This child was born on the day of the festival. It is God's duty to make her happy.

そう、神は許さない。

God would never allow that.

Ah, how lovely. Surely everyone will be entranced by her.

そう、誰一人として忘れない。

No one would forget her.

“マルグリット――サン・マロの宝石”

Marguerite -- the jewel of Saint Malo.

呪われた罰当たり児。

The accursed child.

ギロチンの足下で生まれた少女。

The girl born under the guillotine's gaze.

She came into this world with a necklace-like* birthmark resembling a guillotine's scar -- one that would never fade.

Even as she passed her tenth year, she was still unable to speak. When she finally did open her mouth, what left her lips was the guillotine's refrain.

母は気が触れ、狂死した。

Her mother went insane, and died a madwoman.

Her father was loathed as the decapitator, and met his end under the guillotine for charges of smuggling.

彼女に罪などありはしない。

She was utterly without sin.

Karmic punshiment for the parents' sins would find the child  -- this was merely one side of an ever-cruel world.

Normally silent, but whe she did begin to speak, she would only repeat the guillotine's bloody refrain.

The moment she set foot outside, the entire town would fall into ominous silence.

その痛ましい狂気。誕生にまつわる忌まわしさ。

Her tragic madness; the cruelty of her birth.

The girl, growing up being exposed to fear, loathing, hatred and isolation, had lost everything before she ever came to possess a single thing in life.

Although she was healthy in body*, her disfunctional feelings could not even understand the very meaning of sadness itself.

*basically I think what it wants to say is that she wasn't born with a retardation?*

ゆえに悲劇。

And so, her case is what we could call tragedy.

滑稽でさえある外れ者。

A truly laughable outcast.

There were many who plotted to lay hands on the beautiful Marguerite, yet all of them, without exception, ended up under the guillotine.

ギロチンの加護。

She was protected by the bloodthirsty tool.

触れれば斬れる呪いを纏う。

Her curse would kill anyone that would touch her.

If beauty itself is fleeting, and we assume her to be a source of constant danger, then her very features are anything but beautiful. And yet, neither are they hideous -- she is a vacant, empty void.

その永遠性。

Such is to be her disposition for all eternity.

After her parents' death, she would roam the streets aimlessly like a discarded animal, mindless of what to eat or where to sleep, and yet, never tiring, never decaying.

あれは人間じゃない。

She is inhuman.

Hardly could we fault anyone for saying so - it was the logical conclusion of the matter.

*I'll be honest, this one was giving me trouble and I wasn't sure how to interpret its first half*

She was a being that shouldn't be left alive, with a past that had to be buried.

だから……

And so...

Marguerite was captured and taken to the execution grounds.

As no one could touch her, her treatment resembled the handling of a dangerous tool, the process itself similar to herding sheep.

And yet she did not resist. Had she decided to do so, she could've easily massacred every single one of her captors.

では、なぜそうしなかったか。

So why didn't she?

The answer is quite simple: she did not comprehend the meaning behind death and an execution.

To her, decapitation was a common occurence -- she could simply not tell the difference between her own head, or that of her captors', falling.

処刑台の上。

Up on the scaffold.

On that day, she stood at the place that witnessed her father's gruesome duty -- the very place she was born at.

(*another concsious change here with "gruesome".)

Gazing into the faraway sunset, Marguerite, with heart pure and untainted, began her song.

It was the blood-stained refrain; the hymn of the guillotine. She uttered the curse of God, its words like a prayer.

「あぁ……」

Ah...

Those were her first, and -as many had thought- also her final words spoken as a human being.

しかしこの時、マルグリットは悟っていたのだ。

However, at that time, Marguerite understood.

「わたしは、ずっとここにいるのね」

I will forever remain here, won't I?

その言葉が、耳に焼き付いて離れない。

The words pierced into my ears and would never leave.

Among the crowd, the soul of a man watching the spectacle for no particular reason, was torn out of its foundations.

A vagrant once known as St Germain; in another time as Paracelsus; or as Faust, Rosenkreuz and even Magnus.

The man known as Alessandro di Cagliostro was swept away by her very being.

あれは法則から外れている。

She stood free of the laws of the universe.

An exquisite soul not bound by endless revival*; one that would stay in the same place even after death.

*or repetition?

ならば私は、彼女を救済することに全てを懸けよう。

If such is the case, I will move every fiber of my being to save her.

彼女の前に跪き、この身は奴隷と成り果てよう。

I shall kneel before her, reducing my very being to that of a slave.

どこまでも麗しい、断頭台の姫君。

The ever-beautiful maiden of the guillotine.

Rewarding that with an appropriate necklace is the utmost--

*once again, I'm probably wrong about this line*

そうして刑は執行され、マルグリットは花と散った。

And so the sentence was carried out, and Marguerite shed her mortal coil.

However, such alone would not extinguish the raidance of Saint Malo's jewel.

She, who lived without possessing anything, can therefore be robbed of nothing, either. Death would never reach her.

以来、彼女はただ一人。

She has been on her own ever since...

永遠の黄昏の中、今も歌い続けている。

...singing alone within a perpetual dusk, to this very day.

Repeating in the voice of an angel a refrain all too sweet, all too heartwrenching.

それに俺は、怒りを覚えた。

And I knew true anger.

I firmly believed that she would be awarded no redemption, unless I allowed anger to rise within my breast in the stead of a young girl who knows not how to shed tears or feel sorrow.

余計なお世話であり、偽善の類と言えるだろう。

I knew my actions might be considered unwanted attention; a form of hypocrisy on my part.

だけど俺は、マリィの人生に胸が震える。

Yet her life made my very soul tremble.

なぜこの子が、こんな目に遭わないけないのか。

Why was she awarded such a cruel fate?

何が悪くて、何が間違っていたというのか。

What sin, what wrongdoing of any sort had she commited?

In fact, if God does indeed exist, he himself deserves to be cursed.

「やっぱり、カリオストロとよく似ていますね」

You really do resemble Cagliostro very much.

誰もが恐れ、忌み嫌う少女に魅せられた者同士。

*I'll skip this for now and wait for your version because the 誰もが at the beginning messes with my head for some weird reason. Without it I'd be fine with the line.*

「あなたは、あの人の代わりなんでしょう?」

You came in place of that person, didn't you?

それは否定したくても、出来ないこと。

No matter how much I wished to deny that, I could not.

「レン、わたしの愛しい人……」

My beloved Ren...

To what exent does she truly comprehend the meaning of those words?

「これからは、一緒」

From now on, we'll be together.

This was the outcome of discovering her origins, and gazing at the battles yet to come.

*Sounds like bollocks to me, so I'm probably waaay off the mark here. Context may help, but maybe not.*

「ああ……一緒だ」

Yeah... together.

俺には、拒絶の意志など持ち得ようはずがない。

I have no reason to refuse.

だからマリィの手を取り、そう答えていた。

And so I took her hand while uttering that word in response.

同情であり、打算であり、そして真実でもある契り。

A vow born of sympathy, truth and selfish desire.

罪悪感が胸を刺す。

My heart is assailed by feelings of guilt.

Much like "he" did, I, too, overcome by a desire to save her, will ultimately use her as nothnig but a weapon.

だからだろうか……

And so...

Once my struggles were over and dealt with, I could give Marie a chance to redo her life. I thought of how wonderful that would be...

そんな、夢みたいなことを思ったのは。

Such were the daydreams I allowed myself.

Very hard!!! Maybe that is why so few people this time :(

Until when she is killed, it is not that hard but after that it become very confusing.

悲劇の定義について考えてみようと思う。

I think I will think about definition of tragedy.

To simply give a frank conclusion, the general idea probably indicates severe loss.

With loss of someone or something important, that opens a hole in the soul of a person.

Is it not generally called a tragedy... that causes a gap of the heart, or crack the spirit?

However, even if it is unconditionally important thing, there is diversity in the values of a person.

Although there is common opinion that family and friends, lovers and the like, is at the highest position of that, I know well there is a race that not feel one thing even to lose those.

なら、万人に共通する悲劇とは何なのか。

If so, what is a tragedy common to all people?

In a certain book, it is written that it is important not what it is lost, but how it is lost.

It is stronger tragedy for stolen or broken, than drop and lose sight of.

本当にそうなのだろうか。

Is that truly so?

For tragedy with easily realised assailant, there exists means of escape called anger.

With hating the usurper, it is possible to forget sadness, and give objective to life called revenge.

そんなものが、本当に混じり気のない悲劇なのか?

Is that sort of thing truly tragedy without impurity?

辛いというのは分かるけど。

Although I understand it is painful.

That is a story corresponding to ordinary person of my level, I want to consider more deeply here.

Actually, the thing called spirit of a person is made well, and when continuing to possess successive strong negative emotion, safety valve functions.

In other words, when anger sadness and pleasant feeling, passes through indifferently.

The heart trying to preserve equilibrium of some sort of shape, even distorted injury is repaired.

ならば――

If that's the case------

For a tragedy that continues always bleeding, crack is not healed, wound does not recover, what kind of thing does it indicate?

If such a thing is possible, that is surely an existence not permitted to possess that from the beginning.

その手は空虚。

The hand is empty.

Not able to grasp anything, therefore even to lose it is not possible, to be broken from the beginning, therefore not even able to be cured.

永遠の迷い児。

Eternally lost child.

そんな、少女の夢を見た。

I dreamed of a little girl like that.

彼女の誕生にまつわる、忌まわしい物語を。

Related to her birth, is an unpleasant story.

Year 1793------in France, San Maro of Brittany (?) there was a married couple.

The husband is a strong honest longshoreman, the wife was a beautiful woman of good disposition.

彼らは幸せな生活を営んでいたと言っていい。

It may be said they were carrying on a happy life.

Because violent storm of revolution thought changes the thinking of the citizens 180 degrees, and printed that nobles and priests is absolutely bad, the married couple took up a stupid degree of hatred, not understanding the reason, without having doubt at that.

They were not able to remember that their happiness now, was thanks to the assistance of a priest that extended a hand of support in their early life.

He is a priest, priest is bad...... in the head of the husband it was impossible to refute this simple and clear logic, and moreover the wife was a wildly enthusiastic republican faction believer.

To the extent of taking up positions at the foot of the guillotine for many hours before on the day of execution, watching the head fall while knitting.

Carrying the child, even when day of birth nears, the wife went to the execution field every day.

As her knight, the husband continued to escort the wife to the special seat.

The guillotine falls. The head jumps. It wants blood, blood, blood, blood.

After they become chummy and watched the festival of wild enthusiasm, the two people start on the road home, while talking together of the future of their child born soon.

幸せな夫婦。

It is a happy married couple.

They are very respectable, and even those values, is no more than typical example of one good citizen for this period.

だが……

However......

One day of the harvest festival, in San Maro a very interesting execution was going to be performed.

The victim is a former priest of a saviour church...... no one did not know this old clergyman, and everyone wanted to see what kind of expression he will express at the scaffold.

当然、仲睦まじい夫婦もその例外ではない。

Naturally, the harmonious couple is not an exception.

At foot of the guillotine...... the wife among the group was attacked by intense labour pains, but contains a scream with heroic strength, amd waited impatiently for the moment the priest ascends the scaffold.

The old priest that was substitute for their father...... as a father of the poor persons who lived in San Maro, the clergyman was a target of respect and love......

However, he is assuredly an enemy. Because he is bad, he is an existence that should be punished.

その首は断たれなければならない。

That head must be cut off.

Nevertheless, that day, there was no sign of the executioner.

“なんてこと……”

"What is the matter......"

妻の呻きは、失望に塗れていた。

The moan of the wife was painted with disappointment.

He is scared and ran away at the matter of executing a benevolent priest?

A republican government official calls out to the crowd for a substitute executioner, but the sympathy revives towards the old priest in the heart of everyone, and no one tries to announce candidacy.

このままでは、処刑が中止になってしまう。

As it is, the execution is stopped.

“あなた……お願い……”

"You...... please......"

In violent labour pains, the wife grasped tightly and clings to the sleeve of the husband. For him who is foolishly honest, that is the same as a supreme command.

“わたしがやりましょう!”

"I will do it!"

At the gallant figure of the husband who, shouting so, ran up the stairs of the scaffold, the wife raises a delightful voice, and expressed her favourite song.

血、血、血、血が欲しい。

Blood, blood, blood, it want blood.

ギロチンに注ごう、飲み物を。

Pour the drink, in the guillotine.

ギロチンの渇きを癒すため。

In order to cure the thirst of the guillotine.

欲しいのは、血、血、血。

It want blood, blood, blood.

The familiar refrain erases sympathy of the group like magic.

Spreading a ring of delight, the bloody big chorus echoes in the execution field.

血、血、血、血が欲しい。

Blood, blood, blood, it want blood.

ギロチンに注ごう、飲み物を。

Pour the drink, in the guillotine.

ギロチンの渇きを癒すため。

In order to cure the thirst of the guillotine.

欲しいのは、血、血、血。

It want blood, blood, blood.

Within the blessing, the husband cuts off the head of the patron in order to accomplish the important mission, and prooved love to the wife and loyalty to the country.

それは名誉。

That is honour.

誇らしいことであり、なんら恥ずべきことではない。

It is a magnificent thing, and not any kind of disgraceful thing.

Therefore when he returned to his wife, and look at the baby girl held in her arms, he sobbed at the deep emotion.

"This child was born on the day of the festival. God has duty to blessing this child."

そう、神は許さない。

God does not permit so.

"How lovely. Surely everyone dreams of this child."

そう、誰一人として忘れない。

Not a single person can forget it.

“マルグリット――サン・マロの宝石”

"Marguerite------the jewel of San Maro."

呪われた罰当たり児。

A cursed child.

ギロチンの足下で生まれた少女。

The girl born at the foot of the guillotine.

The birthmark like trace of that head decapitated is engraved, and does not disappear for the whole life.

Not memorising words even after 10, when she finally opened her mouth to talk, the refrain of the guillotine was spoken.

母は気が触れ、狂死した。

The mother go crazy, and died insane.

The father is despised as the decapitating person, and put on the guillotine for smuggling crime.

彼女に罪などありはしない。

She has no crime.

That the cause and effect of the parents is recompensed to the child...... that is one form of the absurd world.

Without giving forth good words, when opening her mouth it is the refrain of blood.

When she go outside one step, the whole town only weirdly fall silent.

その痛ましい狂気。誕生にまつわる忌まわしさ。

That tragical madness. Unpleasantless related to birth.

Fear, disgust, evasion, hatred...... the little girl raised exposed to those, before losing, had nothing.

The things she for sure had not, due to idiocy, honestly nonfunctional feelings that do not understand even the meaning of sadness.

ゆえに悲劇。

Therefore, it is tragedy.

滑稽でさえある外れ者。

A ridiculously disconnected person.

Some people existed who try to commit violence at beautiful Marguerite, but the persons she touched were head jumped without exception.

ギロチンの加護。

The divine protection of the guillotine.

触れれば斬れる呪いを纏う。

To wear a curse able to kill when touch.

Beauty is fleeting, when assuming for sure there is danger to be trampled down, her beautiful face is not beauty. To be able to become ugly would be nihile.

その永遠性。

That eternal nature.

Loitering like dogs and cats after both parents died, in spite of not knowing what to eat, where to sleep, or anyone, she didn't wear out and rot.

あれは人間じゃない。

That is not a human.

Even to say so, it would be said to be outcome of necessity.

It is cliched, but she is witch...... Marguerite, who can't be helped to be convicted so, is disconnected and the persons she touch and died already exceeds 100.

An existence that cannot be let live, it is the past that must be buried.

だから……

Therefore......

Marguerite is caught, and pulled to the execution field.

Not able to be touched, handling her is with a utensil used as an intermediary, it is an act similar to urging livestock.

But nevertheless, Marguerite didn't resist. If she has the intention, it should be possible for her to massacre the capturers.

では、なぜそうしなかったか。

Then, why didn't she do so?

The answer is simple. Marguerite does not understand meaning of death and execution.

A decapitated head is ordinary for her, even if what jumps is the head of other person or her own head, she does not notice difference.

処刑台の上。

Upon the scaffold.

That day, the place her father worked an important mission, the place herself was born.

While viewing the distant sunset, Marguerite sang with a pure heart.

The refrain of blood. Hymn of the guillotine. The curse of god like a prayer.

「あぁ……」

"Ahh......"

That becomes the first and last words she thought of as a person, in her lifetime.

しかしこの時、マルグリットは悟っていたのだ。

However, at that time Marguerite realised.

「わたしは、ずっとここにいるのね」

"I am here throughout, isn't it."

その言葉が、耳に焼き付いて離れない。

Those words scorch the ears and don't leave.

Within the group, that joke smashed the soul of the men who were watching.

Wandering men who called themselves Count St-Germain, Paracelsus, Faust, Rosenkreutz and Magnus.

Alessandro di Cagliostro was knocked down at the current state of her.

あれは法則から外れている。

That is disconnected from law.

Continuing to remain at that place even if dying, the supreme soul that eternally does not come back.

ならば私は、彼女を救済することに全てを懸けよう。

Ifthat's the case, I will expend everything to help her.

彼女の前に跪き、この身は奴隷と成り果てよう。

Kneeling in front of her, this body would be reduced to a slave.

どこまでも麗しい、断頭台の姫君。

Beautiful anywhere, the princess of the guillotine.

T

T

At that, to give an appropriate necklace, certainly is my final request------

そうして刑は執行され、マルグリットは花と散った。

Thus, punishment was executed, and Marguerite died a noble death with the flowers.

However, that doesnot damage the radiance of the jewel of San Maro.

The girl originally born without having anything...... therefore even to dispossess her life, to give death, is impossible.

以来、彼女はただ一人。

Henceforth, she is just alone.

永遠の黄昏の中、今も歌い続けている。

In the eternal twilight, even now the singing is continuing.

Excessively sweet, excessively painful, with a singing voice like angel, the cursed refrain.

それに俺は、怒りを覚えた。

Moreover, I felt anger.

Instead of her who does not know sadness or crying, I strongly thought she is beyond saving if not angry.

余計なお世話であり、偽善の類と言えるだろう。

It would be said to not be my concern, a kind of hypocrisy.

だけど俺は、マリィの人生に胸が震える。

However, my chest shivers at the life of Marie.

なぜこの子が、こんな目に遭わなければいけないのか。

Why does this child, have to have such an experience?

何が悪くて、何が間違っていたというのか。

What is bad, what was wrong?

In reality, if there is something called god, that guy for sure should be cursed------

「やっぱり、カリオストロとよく似ていますね」

"After all, you resemble Cagliostro well, isn't it."

誰もが恐れ、忌み嫌う少女に魅せられた者同士。

Everyone fears the mutual person that was enchanted by the detested girl.

「あなたは、あの人の代わりなんでしょう?」

"You would be a substitute for that person?"

それは否定したくても、出来ないこと。

Even if she want to deny that, not possible.

「レン、わたしの愛しい人……」

"Ren, my lovely person......"

To what extent does she understand the meaning of those words?

「これからは、一緒」

"After this, be together."

Just, knowing her constitution, the result that focused on the battle ahead of this.

「ああ……一緒だ」

"Yes...... together."

俺には、拒絶の意志など持ち得ようはずがない。

I should not be able to attain volition of refusal.

だからマリィの手を取り、そう答えていた。

Therefore I replied so, taking the hand of Marie.

同情であり、打算であり、そして真実でもある契り。

The pledge that there is sympathy, selfishness, and truth.

罪悪感が胸を刺す。

A feeling of guilt pierces the chest.

Although I am again thinking I want to help her similarly to "a guy", it is dilemma to only be able to use that existence as a weapon.

だからだろうか……

Therefore I think......?

How wonderful it would be, if it was possible to do over again the life of Marie, after all is concluded------

そんな、夢みたいなことを思ったのは。

I thought of a thing like that, like a dream.

Jingai Makyou it is.  For those awaiting their tlcs, I've been working all day for the past few days, save for a few breaks, so I haven't had time.  I'll be able to finish them sometime tomorrow, so I appreciate your patience.  (Edit: I'm currently smashed by rl issues, so I'm going to delay the next entry until next week... I have six papers to write, three tests to take, and a ton of work to do.)

Edited by Clephas

• 3 weeks later...

Plz don't add the first one... and I'm even more behind than you are.  I have two days off before I am stuck working constantly again, because the company I'm working for sold two months of the time on my contact to a retail corporation (meaning I have to work even more than usual, due to the holiday season).