Probably the thousand "beginner recommendation" post

72deluxe

Okay, I have a bit of a query, that I couldn't really answer with the default help posts. So here's what I'm looking for,

I am at a n3/n2 level in Japanese, so a intermediate level. 

I want something non-fantastical

Not something super Ecchi/18+/H

Something kinda realistic and sweet. 

I'm just getting into visual novels after playing a indie game called Doki-Doki Literature club (a psychological horror) and higurashi.

Though I don't really want some horror stuff, just something nice and easy to practice Japanese that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, and not scared (like higurashi) or depressing (like clannad)  

Thanks Guys

Can't really say about level of Japanese necessary for these, but if it's warm and fuzzy you're going for, this is probably a good list:

Haven't personally read a lot off this list, but the of the few I've read, I definitely recommend Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no and Toppara ~ Zashikiwarashi no Hanashi ~, though the latter of these is "fantasitical" (youkais).

Edited by Beichuuka

I mean, most VNs have some sort of H in them...
My understanding are most people skip them since unless the game is of the Nukige variety H in these games tend to be boring and irrelevant (with few exceptions).
Bit of shame if you can't play anything with any sort of H.

Hm. How about Deardrops? I believe that one has an all-ages version for the iOS.
Symphonic Rain could be another good one, though that one's a bit on the side of dark and moody.

Edited by Beichuuka

4 hours ago, 72deluxe said:

Ok, So I just read the list and looked up all of them... All of them are H sadly, and for reasons I can't give, I can't really do H. 

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. 

This is just a small warning... very few decent VNs have no H.  In fact, all the VNs on my top 50 have H, despite me being a story addict first and last.  If you don't want to see the H, just skip the scenes.

I suppose you could go off and check out the non-H otomege, if you can stand otomege (most are crap), but about 98% of the male-oriented stuff has H-content.  Anything romantic is pretty much guaranteed to either be H or only on portable consoles (Vita or PSP in most cases, with some appearing on 3DS).  Exceptions like the Science Series (Steins;Gate, Chaos;Head) are exceptions to the rule on 'good VNs mostly being H'. 

17 hours ago, 72deluxe said:

I want something non-fantastical

Not something super Ecchi/18+/H

Something kinda realistic and sweet. 

Well, it's going to be really hard to find something like that. Honestly, these three parameters make me wonder that maybe you should really find some other way to spend your time. The majority of (male-oriented) VNs that come out in Japan are 18+, and, honestly, it is not the best medium if you are looking for realism, so the recommendations are going to be pretty limited. I'd say, either lower your standards and try reading an 18+ VN while skipping the actual H-content (though it may or may not work, considering the reason why you avoid it in the first place) or stick to censored releases. Also note that the censored releases may also skip some questionable content considered inappropriate for their age groups. And due to that, I noticed that originally 18+ VNs, actually, tend to cover more serious and 'realistic' topic than VNs that are originally all-ages (though my experience is pretty limited, and I only read English-translated VNs, so don't quote me on that).