akaritan

What visual novel should I play next  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What visual novel should I play next

• ef - a fairy tale of the two.
    • Danganronpa 1
    • Aviary Attorney

This poll is closed to new votes

I just finished Inganock (which was absolutely fantastic, by the way), and I'm not sure what to read next. So I'm letting Fuwa decide~

ef looks really good from a visual standpoint, and I've heard good things about the story. The whole "separate plotlines which converge to form one cohesive story" really appeals to me, too.

Danganronpa is apparently really fun. I'm not normally all that fond of gameplay VNs, but there are exceptions I've been meaning to get around to this one anyway. Pretty famous as a whole, so part of me feels like I should at least try it if only to check it off of a bucket list.

Aviary attorney looks like a cross between Hatoful Boyfriend and Phoenix Wright and that's more than reason enough to get it. :holo:

I think I would generally prefer something like Danganronpa, I like dark tones/mystery more, but I can also enjoy a well executed romance and I feel like I haven't read one in too long. Like I said, I can't decide :komari: , and the poll is tied. If it doesn't change when I wake up tomorrow, I'm probably just going to random.org, haha.

I voted for Danganronpa because based on what I know about you so far, you seemed to be very much into darker stuff like Fata Morgana and Phenomeno, from what I know about ef, it's supposed to be romance (? not sure, didn't read it but I heard it's good) and never heard of Aviary Attorney (is that related to Ace Attorney?) ... Danganronpa seems to be very popular and it should probably suit your tastes more if I'm right about your tastes xD ...

It looks like I'm going with ef first. That's probably good, I feel like I've read a lot of dark/plot focused things lately and I need a breather. Besides, I figure a break from what I like most will help them have more impact later :miyako:. Shortly after that I'm definitely playing Danganronpa, it sounds like a lot of people think I'll like it (and they're probably right, my list makes my tastes pretty transparent :makina:). I might end up playing Aviary Attorney in between. 

9 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

and never heard of Aviary Attorney (is that related to Ace Attorney?)

1 hour ago, Vorathiel said:

Voted for Aviary, because I want to know more about it :P

My understanding is that it's sort of like Ace Attorney but with bird puns, lol. Also I really like the lip-synced animal sprites (the screencap with the elephant made me laugh quite a bit). It's not directly related to Phoenix Wright, but I've actually heard pretty good things about it from the few who have gone and played it, and though there aren't very many, the VNDB scores seem alright. VNDB says that it's short (2-10) hours, so maybe worth checking out yourself if you're interested?

9 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

I voted for Danganronpa because based on what I know about you so far, you seemed to be very much into darker stuff like Fata Morgana and Phenomeno, from what I know about ef, it's supposed to be romance (? not sure, didn't read it but I heard it's good) and never heard of Aviary Attorney (is that related to Ace Attorney?) ... Danganronpa seems to be very popular and it should probably suit your tastes more if I'm right about your tastes xD ...

Don't underestimate ef - the true route is extremely dark and depressing. It's the only VN I couldn't finish yet because it was mentally too exhausting.

34 minutes ago, akaritan said:

My understanding is that it's sort of like Ace Attorney but with bird puns, lol. Also I really like the lip-synced animal sprites (the screencap with the elephant made me laugh quite a bit). It's not directly related to Phoenix Wright, but I've actually heard pretty good things about it from the few who have gone and played it, and though there aren't very many, the VNDB scores seem alright. VNDB says that it's short (2-10) hours, so maybe worth checking out yourself if you're interested?

I got curious so I checked it out and I can tell you that I am probably not going to read this one, the reason primarily being that it doesn't look like something I am willing to go through even though it's short. Based on its VNDB page and the site, I don't think I am going to like it very much, it's an OELVN with an unusual art style (is this some kind of sepia variant or what O_O, it doesn't attract me at all), developed by English/French developers (the trailer is in French and apparently the VN isn't voiced which is expected, many OELVNs aren't voiced). You mentioned VNDB scores and I checked them out, it has a lot of 8s. Probably people liked it but I don't think it's my cup of tea, sorry. I think I'd rather read some other VNs in that range (2-10 hours) like Saya no Uta and Phenomeno, those look more appealing to me ^^.

By the way, I wanted to ask you, I think you mentioned me sometime earlier that you are studying Japanese already and you should know yourself around it by now. Did you think about reading this VN (or maybe even read it already? xD). It definitively looks like something I'd gladly read, relatively recently was released.

25 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I got curious so I checked it out and I can tell you that I am probably not going to read this one, the reason primarily being that it doesn't look like something I am willing to go through even though it's short. Based on its VNDB page and the site, I don't think I am going to like it very much, it's an OELVN with an unusual art style (is this some kind of sepia variant or what O_O, it doesn't attract me at all), developed by English/French developers (the trailer is in French and apparently the VN isn't voiced which is expected, many OELVNs aren't voiced). You mentioned VNDB scores and I checked them out, it has a lot of 8s. Probably people liked it but I don't think it's my cup of tea, sorry. I think I'd rather read some other VNs in that range (2-10 hours) like Saya no Uta and Phenomeno, those look more appealing to me ^^.

By the way, I wanted to ask you, I think you mentioned me sometime earlier that you are studying Japanese already and you should know yourself around it by now. Did you think about reading this VN (or maybe even read it already? xD). It definitively looks like something I'd gladly read, relatively recently was released.

Don't apologize, I haven't even read it myself, I'm not offended. That sort of thing isn't for everyone :sachi:. I really want to read Iwaihime, I love denpa and it's written by the person who wrote Umineko, but I couldn't get my text parser to work with it :komari:. If you're familiar with Higurashi or Umineko and like those things, then you should probably give Iwaihime a shot. And if you do, tell me how it goes, it will probably help motivate me to get better at Japanese.

32 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Don't underestimate ef - the true route is extremely dark and depressing. It's the only VN I couldn't finish yet because it was mentally too exhausting.

That makes me very excited for what's to come. :holo:

@akaritan - I know it's not for everyone, I am not personally against OELVNs, I might stumble upon one good OELVN one day, recently I saw this one for example, as well as its sequels (II , III) and thought that this one actually has a good setting, I am a fan of Godfather movie and book so I was thinking I should maybe try it when I get the time, and by the way if I saw correctly it's a freeware doujin, so it's free I guess, nothing hurts to try it, even with the art being OELVN-ish, the story might pull me in :D ...

That's a shame, the text parser thing you mentioned ... I might stumble upon the same problem with it too when I get there, tell me, do you use VNR or other software? Oh, I will tell you, ofcourse, if I ever get to actually reading it XD I am still a far cry though from even trying since my Japanese is still at N5, and I am barely even at 200 kanji so far, one of these days I need to go through all those radicals thingy stuff, apparently it's a must learn for later ventures into more complicated kanji.

As for Umineko and Higurashi, I didn't read any of those but you just made Iwaihime even more interesting to me since I know Umineko is a very good VN and its writer should be pure quality then :D ... As for Higurashi, I think I got myself screwed up a little bit because I watched the anime of it sometime ago, it was one of the best anime I watched and back then I wasn't reading visual novels ... Today I would have loved if I could just forget all the plot of anime, that way I'd probably enjoy Higurashi VN the way I should, I actually intend to read it through even though I watched the anime already ... I didn't watch Higurashi for sometime now, its two seasons were very good and mind-screwy and sadly I still remember a lot of the plot but maybe the VN has some major differences? Maybe it's better in some way? You know anything about that maybe? xD

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Oh, okay, I will look forward to it then ^_^ Some of my favourite VNs were utsuge so ... I have no problems with depressing myself :D  Thanks for mentioning it, I had no clue about it, ef seemed to me like it's just pure love story :D

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

@akaritan - I know it's not for everyone, I am not personally against OELVNs, I might stumble upon one good OELVN one day, recently I saw this one for example, as well as its sequels (II , III) and thought that this one actually has a good setting, I am a fan of Godfather movie and book so I was thinking I should maybe try it when I get the time, and by the way if I saw correctly it's a freeware doujin, so it's free I guess, nothing hurts to try it, even with the art being OELVN-ish, the story might pull me in :D ...

That's a shame, the text parser thing you mentioned ... I might stumble upon the same problem with it too when I get there, tell me, do you use VNR or other software? Oh, I will tell you, ofcourse, if I ever get to actually reading it XD I am still a far cry though from even trying since my Japanese is still at N5, and I am barely even at 200 kanji so far, one of these days I need to go through all those radicals thingy stuff, apparently it's a must learn for later ventures into more complicated kanji.

As for Umineko and Higurashi, I didn't read any of those but you just made Iwaihime even more interesting to me since I know Umineko is a very good VN and its writer should be pure quality then :D ... As for Higurashi, I think I got myself screwed up a little bit because I watched the anime of it sometime ago, it was one of the best anime I watched and back then I wasn't reading visual novels ... Today I would have loved if I could just forget all the plot of anime, that way I'd probably enjoy Higurashi VN the way I should, I actually intend to read it through even though I watched the anime already ... I didn't watch Higurashi for sometime now, its two seasons were very good and mind-screwy and sadly I still remember a lot of the plot but maybe the VN has some major differences? Maybe it's better in some way? You know anything about that maybe? xD

Oh, okay, I will look forward to it then ^_^ Some of my favourite VNs were utsuge so ... I have no problems with depressing myself :D  Thanks for mentioning it, I had no clue about it, ef seemed to me like it's just pure love story :D

I use chiitrans. Off the top of my head (I could be wrong) , VNR doesn't have that problem, but I was too lazy to install it. As for Higurashi, it would probably have been better if you hadn't seen the anime first, but as someone who did, there's a certain enjoyment that comes from reading Higurashi knowing all of the answers. The foreshadowing is pretty fun to pick up on, and the VN fills in details that the anime didn't have time for. There's one scene at the end of the third arc that makes the VN worth reading even if you have seen the anime all on it's own. It goes at a pretty slow pace though, for better or worse.