Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

4 hours ago, havoc said:

Re;zero episode 17, seriously has he not learned anything these past 17 episodes?

Personally i feel like Subaru has not suffered enough, mostly because he does not take a single lesson out of it.

We are now in episode 17 and he still thinks anyone is going to listen to him if he yells at them to come along.
How about instead of yelling at Emilia that she has to come along you instead take a deep breath calm down and explain what is going on and what is going to happen.
Also if you cant tell her you wind back time every time you die, you instead tell her you come from a different dimension and use the cellphone and whatever other crap was in that shopping bag as proof.
So far he has not once tried to explain he came from a different world only that he resets every time he dies.

That really is part of the magic. It's all quite realistic, but it's impossible for us to pity Subaru at all, after all the shit he keeps doing.

I'm suffering intensity fatigure with Re: Zero. It's no longer having the impact trying to maintain that same level of intensity in the story. Not sure if it's rushed or what but too many things that are meant to be overwhelming each are happening in succession. That's not to say it's bad, since it's still very good, it's just that I think the pacing is a bit off.

45 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I'm suffering intensity fatigure with Re: Zero. It's no longer having the impact trying to maintain that same level of intensity in the story. Not sure if it's rushed or what but too many things that are meant to be overwhelming each are happening in succession. That's not to say it's bad, since it's still very good, it's just that I think the pacing is a bit off.

the big problem is that right now it is forgetting to take a breather and slow the action and pace, hope it goes back down somewhat after this arc though.
Toaru is a great example of where the pacing got ruinind really bad in my opinion.

1 hour ago, havoc said:

the big problem is that right now it is forgetting to take a breather and slow the action and pace, hope it goes back down somewhat after this arc though.
Toaru is a great example of where the pacing got ruinind really bad in my opinion.

After this arc, the anime will have ended.

Also, taking a breather would do the exact opposite, and destroy the pacing of the arc. Right now, we are living this truly as we follow Subaru. It's a nonstop nightmare and all his mistakes are costing him very dearly (also seen in the self-rant he had in this latest episode).

One of the very few problems Re:Zero had before was that we had no idea where it was going, but this third arc has been solving this with every episode, giving us more and more information and finally building towards a finale that would open the real conflict of the story, if Subaru does actually manage to solve the arc this time around.

Also, episode 18 is gonna be longer than usual (25 minutes and 45 seconds) and the staff are hyping it up. The episode is called "From Zero".

add3d50e75cb3208262be0e00601ba4e14694585

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Also, episode 18 is gonna be longer than usual (25 minutes and 45 seconds) and the staff are hyping it up. The episode is called "From Zero".

Well that sounds both like a spoiler and an ominous title. Wading from scratch again would suck... but then so many dead would suck a heck of a lot more.

On 2016-07-25 at 8:48 AM, havoc said:

Re;zero episode 17, seriously has he not learned anything these past 17 episodes?

Personally i feel like Subaru has not suffered enough, mostly because he does not take a single lesson out of it.

We are now in episode 17 and he still thinks anyone is going to listen to him if he yells at them to come along.
How about instead of yelling at Emilia that she has to come along you instead take a deep breath calm down and explain what is going on and what is going to happen.
Also if you cant tell her you wind back time every time you die, you instead tell her you come from a different dimension and use the cellphone and whatever other crap was in that shopping bag as proof.
So far he has not once tried to explain he came from a different world only that he resets every time he dies.

Pretty much this. I seriously wish they take a new U turn during the next episode or this is going downhill really fast. I enjoyed the anime but if he doesn't learn it is a lost cause.

My reaction to subaru's proposal to run away this episode,

Seriously give the guy a functioning brain, the brain dead part has gone on long enough.

EDIT:
Okay it got slightly better towards the end, but my opinion still stands about subaru he really needs to start using his brain and remaining calm.
Maybe he will finally start doing that, don't have high hopes though.

And my prediction at the end of the last arc that rem had fallen head over heels for subaru and that we are getting a love triangle was true.
Which incidentally doesn't make me happy at all, it would have been nice to see a different kind of bond between the two. It is like animators, manga artists and LN autors have forgotten that there a about a thousand different things in between.

Would have made me a lot happier if they ended up in a different relationship, possibly something like Jinto and Lafiel in Banner of the stars.
(Only good example of a relationship in anime that is more than friendship less than lovers that i can think of)

Theme of today's Re:Zero episode:

#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#PuckMostOPCat#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#StopWhiningSubaru#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl

It's official, Rem is a goddess. Even someone as hopeless as Subaru couldn't possibly continue on as a wreck after getting an uplifting speech from someone as magnificent as her.

s9Xhimt.gif

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Theme of today's Re:Zero episode:

#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#PuckMostOPCat#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#StopWhiningSubaru#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl#RemBestGirl

Could not agree with you more. Rem is a best girl among best girls.

Edit: Wow, I could swear I saw Rem at 2100-ish faves on MAL before this episode. Now she's getting close to 2900. http://myanimelist.net/character/118763/Rem

Well, this episode finally put an end to the "mini-arc" of despair. Still, I personally think it was completely worth it, every single episode, every single scene. Subaru needed actual development, not just getting a lil speech and boom, on the path to being a hero again. These episodes have done what his character needed, a truly rude wake up, and Rem completed the circle, making for meaningful character growth. Whatever happens in the episodes that are left, it'll now be believable for Subaru to go into "let's get shit done" mode and start making amends for all the shit that has been going on.

And Subaru's speech about how useless he is was just superb. It also confirmed one of my early theories, that a big problem we all (and Subaru himself) forgot about was that there probably was a reason for him being a NEET and a hikikomori. And yep, confirmed it was, Subaru used to be a social outcast and a failure as a person. Which also gives an explanation as to why Subaru was having such an insanely bad time at getting himself together during his arc.

Also, Rem best girl.

Rem became best girl even though the ship sunk? Amazing.

This isn't the best episode but certainly the one we need for Subaru. Can't wait for next week where everything goes down!

Still looking forward to that scene in the OP where Crusch finally fights the white whale

4 minutes ago, Jibril said:

Rem became best girl even though the ship sunk? Amazing.

This isn't the best episode but certainly the one we need for Subaru. Can't wait for next week where everything goes down!

Hide contents

Still looking forward to that scene in the OP where Crusch finally fights the white whale

The info on the sins is also getting super confusing. Are the sins people? Abstract things/ideas? Processes?

First they seem like just a property. An adjective, like how we use them ourselves, with Betelgeuse bashing Subaru for being a slothful bitch. Then we think it might be people. Betelgeuse is Sloth, Subaru is Pride. But, now, it seems like the ordeal might be connected to the sins and, at the same time, we get told that the White Whale used to be known as Gluttony.

8 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

The info on the sins is also getting super confusing. Are the sins people? Abstract things/ideas? Processes?

First they seem like just a property. An adjective, like how we use them ourselves, with Betelgeuse bashing Subaru for being a slothful bitch. Then we think it might be people. Betelgeuse is Sloth, Subaru is Pride. But, now, it seems like the ordeal might be connected to the sins and, at the same time, we get told that the White Whale used to be known as Gluttony.

The White Whale eats everyone and erases their existence from the world. Honestly it feels like its Greed instead of Gluttony but both are nearly identical but I'm guessing since the White Whale eats everything and just follows the Witch's scent then I assume it is truly gluttony as it didn't have any self-control over it's action.

And Puck is just being straight badass. Literally implying he has fought Satella in the past, and possibly almost or have lost against her and emphasize how minuscule and how weak is Betelguese. 

1 minute ago, Jibril said:

The White Whale eats everyone and erases their existence from the world. Honestly it feels like its Greed instead of Gluttony but both are nearly identical but I'm guessing since the White Whale eats everything and just follows the Witch's scent then I assume it is truly gluttony as it didn't have any self-control over it's action.

And Puck is just being straight badass. Literally implying he has fought Satella in the past, and possibly almost or have lost against her and emphasize how minuscule and how weak is Betelguese. 

I think Gluttony makes more sense. The White Whale craves eating SO MUCH that not only does it eat people, but also their entire existence. It's simple, but fits its condition so easily.

And yeah about Puck. Also how he explains that he's not just going berserk, but that it's part of his contract with Emillia, that if she dies, he'll destroy the world. Maybe he lost against Satella and he was forced to go into that contract?

On 25/07/2016 at 0:53 PM, Jun Inoue said:

That really is part of the magic. It's all quite realistic, but it's impossible for us to pity Subaru at all, after all the shit he keeps doing.

It's not realistic, no matter what you say.

I was gonna give the show 9.5/10, but because of ONE sentence, i'm gonna give it 6/10

1 minute ago, Jun Inoue said:

I think Gluttony makes more sense. The White Whale craves eating SO MUCH that not only does it eat people, but also their entire existence. It's simple, but fits its condition so easily.

And yeah about Puck. Also how he explains that he's not just going berserk, but that it's part of his contract with Emillia, that if she dies, he'll destroy the world. Maybe he lost against Satella and he was forced to go into that contract?

That would also imply Satella being Emilia's mother in which if her child dies then the punishment would be to destroy the world yet if it is, then why would Satella kill her daughter so easily when Subaru decided to tell her about his ability? That being said, I also don't know how it would relate with Satella summoning Subaru into this world. I mean there's isn't event a hint on why Satella would even summon Subaru. At best I can only assume the usual experiment or boredom tropes....

I'm predicting that by the end of the series, Subaru would've met Satella at least once.

Seriously Subaru's logic here is just idiotic. Here you got someone worshiping him for what he is. And he just threw it away. Arrrrgh. He likes Rem but no fuck it. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh frustration. Please get killed now and don't wake up again. You don't do what you did Subaru. Ever.

On another note I am enjoying Berserk. It is different but enjoyable. Somehow I am more or less only watching mature animes nowadays.

38 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

Seriously Subaru's logic here is just idiotic. Here you got someone worshiping him for what he is. And he just threw it away. Arrrrgh. He likes Rem but no fuck it. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh frustration. Please get killed now and don't wake up again. You don't do what you did Subaru. Ever.

On another note I am enjoying Berserk. It is different but enjoyable. Somehow I am more or less only watching mature animes nowadays.

Lol what are you even talking about. So he has to get together with Rem cuz she loves him? His feelings and who does he love matter not?

Re-read your message, Li xD

7 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

It's not realistic, no matter what you say.

I was gonna give the show 9.5/10, but because of ONE sentence, i'm gonna give it 6/10

Well you would need to explain yourself... still, it's extremely realistic, and that hasn't changed for a single episode. This is one of the few anime where the MC actually feels human.

3 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well you would need to explain yourself... still, it's extremely realistic, and that hasn't changed for a single episode. This is one of the few anime where the MC actually feels human.

I'm 99.99999% sure its sarcasm. I think. It's hard to detect sarcasm through internet...

41 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

Well he is an anti-social 16 year old buffoon of a NEET. I mean he said it himself, he has so much free time and a plain NEET but he didn't do anything.

Also yes hah! The Rem ship has sunk you plebs! Half-elf rules!!

3 minutes ago, Jibril said:

I'm 99.99999% sure its sarcasm. I think. It's hard to detect sarcasm through internet...

Well he is an anti-social 16 year old buffoon of a NEET. I mean he said it himself, he has so much free time and a plain NEET but he didn't do anything.

Also yes hah! The Rem ship has sunk you plebs! Half-elf rules!!

Dunno. I do think he means it, that he went with 6.5 now.

And about Rem... are people serious? =X

Like, why would you be forced to get in a relationship with someone you don't love just cuz they do love you xD

Apart from the fact that Subaru did the right thing. He very clearly told her that he really needs her help, but that he loves Emilia, so he cannot reciprocate her. There, harem killed. Subaru being a honest and thoughtful normal human being, unlike about 90% of anime MCs.

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Subaru is far from a realistic character, he has so far been way to flat for that.

Realistic characters are really rare and there are way better examples of those around.
Rock, from black lagoon
Lin Shu Rock Yalulug Dril Hydal Jinto  from Banner of the stars
Main spice and wolf characters
The main characters from your under arrest (although this one is debatable, as they are not that complex)
main characters from Space Brothers

All of these are far more complex and realistic characters than Subaru. Which is sad, because the main thing holding the series back in my opinion is subaru himself and his character.

3 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Dunno. I do think he means it, that he went with 6.5 now.

And about Rem... are people serious? =X

Like, why would you be forced to get in a relationship with someone you don't love just cuz they do love you xD

Apart from the fact that Subaru did the right thing. He very clearly told her that he really needs her help, but that he loves Emilia, so he cannot reciprocate her. There, harem killed. Subaru being a honest and thoughtful normal human being, unlike about 90% of anime MCs.

I'm sure the majority, if they were in Subaru's position, having going through all of those hardships and suddenly Rem did all of those dialogues, they would instantly fell in love with her. You know, I feel like Rem is more manly and romantic than most guys out there....

Hm, that's right. I think Emilia's situation is actually kind of similar to Rem. Now that I think about it, the ship might've not sunk just yet.... who knows, maybe later on Subaru actually did have a change of heart and ended up with Rem instead. Only the next 7 episodes will tell!! ohgodweonlyhave7episodesleft

3 minutes ago, havoc said:

Subaru is far from a realistic character, he has so far been way to flat for that.

Realistic characters are really rare and there are way better examples of those around.
Rock, from black lagoon
Lin Shu Rock Yalulug Dril Hydal Jinto  from Banner of the stars
Main spice and wolf characters
The main characters from your under arrest (although this one is debatable, as they are not that complex)
main characters from Space Brothers

All of these are far more complex and realistic characters than Subaru. Which is sad, because the main thing holding the series back in my opinion is subaru himself and his character.

Complexity does not necessarily mean realism.  I do not know some of the characters there, but is anyone even somewhat comparable to Subaru's situation? Cuz comparing characters on realism feels a bit fruitless, as it's more about the character itself, than how it relates to others.

The way I see it, Subaru has been one of the most human characters ever in anime when it comes to exploring mental stress, baggage, and the problems of revival or any kind of reset system. I can't even remember how many times I've discussed with people cuz they were going "lol why doesn't Subaru start training non-stop and just suicide to get more time and training." I get the feeling so many people still do not understand that getting killed / committing suicide is not a fun activity, but something that greatly burdens the mind. And Subaru has been doing it non-stop, to the point of crumbling a couple times (during the second arc, and all these episodes in this third arc). And as far as I know, there's not many characters that have been in similar experiences.

Something people also forget is that Subaru is already a broken human who gets transported into this world. And the series, especially this arc, has explored this side of people, bringing us one of the most realistic portrayals of this side of people in anime. As I said, I don't know some of the characters you mentioned, but with the ones I do know, I get the feeling you are just going for the "full package", series that portray a bit of everything and try to grasp all that makes a person, which would make me say again that complexity or length is not necessarily realism. Or, rather, than lacking those is not necessarily lack of realism. Subaru is practically a social experiment, and shows a side of main characters being actually human and suffering for it.