YouTube actually changed their Content ID system

Nosebleed

I can not believe my eyes, but YouTube actually listened to everyone complaining about their unfair system and made a huge change to it: http://youtubecreator.blogspot.com/2016/04/improving-content-id-for-creators.html

TL;DR version: Whenever a video gets claimed by someone and is being disputed, ads will still keep running on that video, but the money will not automatically go to the person who made the claim anymore as it used to happen, instead it will be kept aside until the dispute is over and then returned to the person who wins it.

They also invested in building teams to prevent abuse of the system in the future and anyone who does is subject to having their tools removed.

This is a HUGE game changer for content creators as they used to get fucked over by false claims and lose all their money during the dispute process.

This still doesn't prevent DMCA takedown abuse, but it sure as hell is a way to discourage false content ID claims, and that is a big step in the right direction in my opinion.

I'm not sure if anyone here follows this sort of copyright drama, but I personally find it interesting to see how the copyright landscape is shifting in recent years. Anyone have any thoughts on this move by YouTube?

I follow it casually and I think it is a huge step forward. Although I do think there are still just going to be some petty assholes who will still content i.d people just because they can.

I feel like something else they should do is if a lot of a companies claims are wrong they shouldn't be allowed to instantly content I.D something.