Tokyo Babel touch screen

2 hours ago, Silvz said:

I don't think it has a fix, since tablets usually do this so you don't accidently click on the screen and mess with everything

No the problem is with this game, normally a tap is no different than a mouse click. I finished soul link the other day and I was able to the make the text advance with a single tap, same with hanachirasu, grisaia and gakthun.

It depends on the VN, but I've noticed a few at least that don't do well with touchscreens. The weirdest thing is that they all have different problems.

• Majikoi, for instance, will click in the previous place you pressed down, rather than the location of your current press, which makes menu interaction a serious pain. I mostly used the touchscreen anyway and just dealt with it (if you press really quickly, or press-and-drag, you can sometimes make it work).
  • Steins;Gate is basically not functional at all. I gave up and used a mouse. Try it and you will, too.
  • Grisaia actually has one major annoyance: there's no way to load the text backlog on a touchscreen.

I think everything else I've played on the tablet has been fine. I'm not delighted to hear Tokyo Babel has this issue, though, since I was probably going to play it pretty soon, and was planning to do so on my tablet... but this is a tiny niche of a tiny niche, and frankly Windows tablets probably weren't even as commonly-used as they are now at the time most of these games were made. I probably should feel pleasantly surprised that so many of them actually do work well on a tablet.

Playing with tablets+VNs isn't my usual combo, but I'll mention some things I've picked up. (I'm using a Nextbook Flexx with Windows 8, in case anyone asks.)

• Instead of double-tapping to advance a line, see if a short swipe/drag will suffice for left-clicking. This also applies to menus and other game UI elements.
  • Long-press and then swipe to make a right-click. Most games will bring up their system menu or hide the text window.
  • The pinch gesture (just like zooming an image on a phone) emulates the scroll wheel, which should bring up the backlog for many games.

I briefly tested Steins;Gate, Tokyo Babel (the demo at least), Hoshizora no Memoria, and Irotoridori no Sekai while writing this post, and they've been working fine with the methods I've described.

7 hours ago, binaryfail said:

Playing with tablets+VNs isn't my usual combo, but I'll mention some things I've picked up. (I'm using a Nextbook Flexx with Windows 8, in case anyone asks.)

• Instead of double-tapping to advance a line, see if a short swipe/drag will suffice for left-clicking. This also applies to menus and other game UI elements.
  • Long-press and then swipe to make a right-click. Most games will bring up their system menu or hide the text window.
  • The pinch gesture (just like zooming an image on a phone) emulates the scroll wheel, which should bring up the backlog for many games.

I briefly tested Steins;Gate, Tokyo Babel (the demo at least), Hoshizora no Memoria, and Irotoridori no Sekai while writing this post, and they've been working fine with the methods I've described.

You. Are. A. God

1st bullet works, good bye double taps