Looking for one person to tutor Basic Japanese Grammar

rainsismyfav

Hello I'm rains.

Now that my life has stabilized, I'm looking to refresh my Japanese basics by tutoring one person basic grammar over skype. I will do this for free (of course) though I cannot guarantee that I'm going to be a super good tutor.

I have finished tutoring two people awhile back: Nosebleed and Grieviious (Keaton). You can ask them for feedback.

Details:

I'll be following this book ---- Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication. But I also reference Kanzen Master N4 and Taekim for topics. I will ONLY cover BASIC Japanese grammar. I won't be covering vocabulary, kanji, listening or speaking. The aim is for you to be able to get a good grasp of how Japanese sentences work and what to look for. Overall goal is for you to start being able to understand sentences in a Japanese Visual Novel. I personally want this to only last around 4-6 months (well I just don't want it to drag). I'm mainly looking for beginners and people who are into VNs. I personally learned Japanese to be able to read VNs and I've read them in Japanese, watched animes raw, and played games raw. I want to share the experience around.

Requirements:

Be passionate and motivated to learn the language.

Have skype

Know basic English grammar terms like "noun / verb / adjective / adverb / direct object" since I use that to explain stuff.

Be able to do skype sessions (of around an hour maybe?) at a minimum of once or twice a week.

Be able to coordinate with my schedule. I work full time on Central US time hours, and mostly free at early evenings CST (6-10 pm).

You need at least to be able to read hiragana and katakana. Basic kanji knowledge is preferred.

Process for selection:

I will personally choose you. Either post on this thread or PM me. I mainly want to see what you're planning to do with the knowledge and your plans with the Japanese knowledge. Since we're in a VN forum, I obviously want to see people interested in reading VNs / eroges or translating later on. Add whatever you think is interesting.

P.S. For the people who know, I still have my youtube series on hold. I should be getting back to it soon.

Edited by rainsismyfav

Just dropping in to leave feedback, I spent a few months with Rains going over Japanese grammar and they were some of the most entertaining months ever. Although I slacked off as far as revisions go (I still go over some notes from time to time :P), I managed to get a very good grasp on Japanese grammar due to Rains and it has built a foundation with which I managed to translate an entire small VN. I now am taking Japanese in college to further solidify my knowledge, but without a doubt taking lessons with Rains is something I would do again if I could. So yeah, go for it if you really wish to be able to properly comprehend how Japanese works, it will only help you if your goal is to read untranslated Japanese media.

I would definitely be interested. As someone who really wants to learn an 8th language, loves language and culture as a whole, and has lived in the country and is heading back there next year in March of 2017 to teach again, I really want to get the ball rolling in motivating myself to study Japanese. I'm sure you've also seen my YouTube channel and really want to learn more about the language so I can give back to the community a lot more than I feel I am doing now. I live in MN and work 40 hour weeks as well, meaning my off time fits perfectly for when you'd like to do this since we essentially work the exact same schedule. I'd be more than willing to explain my reasons for wanting to learn it in addition to everything I listed above. Let me know!

Here is my Skype ID if I haven't already added you: tomoka09 (OriginalRen)

I would love to aswell.

I have been doing self study for like half a year now and tbh I have been so inconsistent when it comes to learning that I havent learned that much, I have already read about grammar and know a little about it together with hiragana (fluent) and somewhat katakana (I hate it but I can figure it out).

I want a tutor because I want to get more serious on studying japanese on a daily basis.

What I want to use it for? I have recently thought about becoming good enough to take the EJU test so I can study abroad when im taking my candidate in electronic music and the problem right now is the language barrier because they dont teach subjects relevant to my education in other languages than japanese (there is only like one university that has international classes).

Another reason is simply because I want connections with doujin artists and animators so I can make creative collaboration projects.

A third reason would obviously be translations, I have a lot of stuff I would love to TL myself, especially smaller more unknown stuff that needs more recognition. The dream scenario would be like with blue* where the people that made it gives permission to make an english translation.

And of course, the 3rd reason requires that I read them first, having a wishlist spanning over around 3 pages is horrible to look at lol.

I live in Europe, but my sleep schedule is so fucking up that it shouldnt be a problem to find a specific time for it.

I would sign up but since I already am in Japanese classes and I can always mooch off Nosebleed it wouldn't be right of me to take the opportunity from another person.

As a second hand feedback, while I was studying grammar with Nosebleed I noticed that he did have a solid foundation of what the grammar entailed so all I can conclude is that whoever gets picked should feel lucky to be taught by rains.

Hey I'm interested in this but I currently don't have a cam. If you choose me I'd go buy one gladly :D

Currently learning Katakana.

Hiragana already memorised.

Small note: If you do choose me I will be a relatively slow learner. Like really slow xD.

I'm dyslexic but motivated :D

On 24/03/2016 at 3:45 AM, Arcadeotic said:

because of various reasons(mainly pride)

I am curious what you mean by this, but if it's personal just ignore me.

16 hours ago, rainsismyfav said:

Thank you guys for the interest. I have chosen Kawasumi.

It was a very nice offer, so thank you.

9 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

I am curious what you mean by this, but if it's personal just ignore me.

I won't go into too much detail, but overall I'm a rather humble personality, and there's only a few things I take pride in, my linguistic talents being one of them. I just despice the idea of someone teaching me on it. I'd much rather learn it myself, just by myself.

You could say it's just useless pride and I'm just being too obstinate and prideful, and you'd be right. But it is how I'm hardwired and this is how I'll do it. Always have, always will.

15 hours ago, Arcadeotic said:

I won't go into too much detail, but overall I'm a rather humble personality, and there's only a few things I take pride in, my linguistic talents being one of them. I just despice the idea of someone teaching me on it. I'd much rather learn it myself, just by myself.

Ahh, I can understand you. I know I am the same in some certain things, but I try to crush that pride. Not always successfully...