Steam Greenlight for Debonosu's Action-RPG "A dragon girl looks up at the endless sky."

sanahtlig

This game is now up on Steam Greenlight.

The Greenlight page is less of a mess than Kagura Douchuuki's was, but the text is still obviously written by a non-native speaker.  It manages to be understandable at least, but we're still talking worse than the Flowers demo here.

Unlike Kagura Douchuuki, this is a game that actually has merit without its H-content--indeed, the H-content in the original felt kind of out of place.  The battle system resembles the one in Tales games, and it's probably the best system of any Debonosu game I've tried.  The story is the standard cliche garbage with dimwitted villains that you'd find in a 1990's SNES JRPG, with some moe scenes added in.

Overall, I could vaguely recommend this game to fans of VN-RPGs, even without the ero-content.  That is, if Debonosu actually hired a translator that could write proper English at least.  Going by EGS scores and my gut intuition, it's probably the best game in Debonosu's lineup (excluding Izumo 4, which I haven't evaluated).

yljTd1H.png

"A battle is an easy action gaming!"

"You don't have to worry if you are not confident of an action gaming."

I don't have to worry, okay. I'll pass. They should get their shit together and hire a translator. If I would want to play this game with google translate help I would do so...  One screenshot is enough to say "no, ty"

If they actually got their act together and got a proper translator and bothered releasing an adult and all ages version maybe they could actually release something decent. As it is I will be passing on this title just like I did for the last one. Why should I put my money to help them if they won't put the money in to make the product playable/readable? Shame this company is putting in so little effort for a good game release. It can't cost them that much to just hire a proper translator and find a means to release an 18+ patch for the game. Unless of course Debonosu is using steam as a last resort to try and earn some funding to prevent itself from going out of business.

17 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

standard cliche garbage with dimwitted villains that you'd find in a 1990's SNES JRPG

Whoa whoa whoa there, are you trashing Magus (chronotrigger) and Miang? (Xenogears) :makina:

Jokes aside, it looks worthwhile from a technical standpoint. though the translation does need serious work.

14 hours ago, kyrt said:

Unless of course Debonosu is using steam as a last resort to try and earn some funding to prevent itself from going out of business.

That's not an unlikely scenario.  Their games hardly get any votes on EGS.

13 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Whoa whoa whoa there, are you trashing Magus (chronotrigger) and Miang? (Xenogears) :makina:

I expect characters in a game written for adults to not mirror Disney tropes.

7 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I expect characters in a game written for adults to not mirror Disney tropes.

Setting aside the kiddie disney version - Snow White's original roots and backstory for the "evil queen" is actually quite interesting, with her madness and obsession.

But i've derailed the thread enough, I should stop before Xeno or someone slaps me around. :sachi:

Game's name is supposed to be named "Sora o Aogite Kumo Takaku".

Instead we get the Engrish version that will most like censor the kissing scenes too (which is quite romantic in a sense with the french kissing and all...) I really like male protagonists in this game too. All of it is gonna be ruined by Debonosu's horrible localization decisions. :amane: 

1 hour ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Game's name is supposed to be named "Sora o Aogite Kumo Takaku".

The title is literally "Looking up at the clouds high in the sky".  It's supposed to symbolize Mint's growth during the course of their journey.  The English title attempts a literal translation of that and fails horribly.

I'd probably go with the title "To Raise a Dragon Girl".  That more or less captures the theme of the first half of the game without being overly verbose or obtuse.

10 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

The title is literally "Looking up at the clouds high in the sky".  It's supposed to symbolize Mint's growth during the course of their journey.  The English title attempts a literal translation of that and fails horribly.

I'd probably go with the title "To Raise a Dragon Girl".  That more or less captures the theme of the first half of the game without being overly verbose or obtuse.

How about "How to Train Your Dragonness"? Assuming it's okay from a legal standpoint, that is.

22 minutes ago, Funnerific said:

How about "How to Train Your Dragonness"? Assuming it's okay from a legal standpoint, that is.

There's no actual training in the game though.  It's not like Princess Maker.  There are however scenes where the protagonist makes choices about how to raise Mint in a more general sense, such as whether to spoil her or be strict.  Those decisions decide which "adult Mint" she becomes in the second half of the game.

The game is an action RPG and there's stats and skills to raise, but there's no actual connection with the protagonist actually training her to learn those skills in the game itself (as far as I remember).

"Mint the Amnesiac Dragon Girl" would have been OK. :wahaha: 

But yeah, I like the character growth and development in this game and missing out on those juicy h-scenes might not mean so much on the first half but they would be in the 2nd half. She's very romantically involved with Adonis and not seeing those in h-scene form is a bummer...

The H-scenes in this game felt very much like slapped-in extra scenarios shoehorned in at opportune moments.  They were literally fetish material.  The ero element formed an important part of the setting in Kagura Douchuuki, but in this game it's more or less just a plot device.

The entire game has a very fake, cartoony feel to it.  Every character, including loli Mint and her adult variants, more or less personifies a trope.  Even by Debonosu standards the writing is pretty weak.  It's a shame because the gameplay isn't bad at all.

I never made it past the second H-scene with adult Mint, so maybe it gets better.   I kind of doubt it though.

Doesn't get better, exactly, but there is an actual story there at the end.  Of course, it depends on the adult Mint you end up with - the endings are not at all the same.  Some have almost no story, while one route goes really in depth, typing up all the loose threads (and more that were never even hinted at in other routes).

All in all, it was a decent game that spawned several spin-offs that were also OK.  6/10 material.  Better than average, but only just barely.

This is actually a decent choice for a Steam game.  H material not needed, good graphics, and solid, if simple and unimaginative, gameplay.  They just need a good translator and a low price, and they're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I can't tell if it's globish or Engrish, and I really don't care. The text offends me at some deep, profound level. 

To be fair, Debonosu's track record is having promotional materials that are more poorly translated than the game itself.  My guess is that they hire a translator for the game script and have some random person on their JP staff do the promotional materials.

But those screenshots are nothing.  Feast your eyes (and ears!) on this:

8 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Almost as bad as those anime opening and ending songs where they try to sing a Japanese song with English words. 

No no, it's quite worse.  At least in anime OPs they're singing and the voice is pleasant.  This trailer features a crippled monotone voice that's just painful to listen to.  It's like a first-grader trying to sound out words she's never heard before.

The Sonico trailer was cute.  This is just sad because Debonosu thinks this is an acceptable way to promote a product.