Most annoying anime plot device of all time

ittaku

7 hours ago, Rilarion said:

Every woman who drinks beer shouts like an idiot after taking a sip. like puhaaaaaaaaaaa

Even worse, when one of the characters drinks soda and gets drunk off of it in order to excuse either a lewd development or a confession.

You can't get drunk off of cola!!!

Open ending, just because you don't know how on Earth close your damn series.

Has become a tradition with harems, because you have to please every fan (so, not choosing one girl as canon over the rest). I was expecting Monster Musume would break all barriers and provide us with a wedding ending... well, the manga could still do it, and I think it will. A second season of the anime is very possible too.

6 hours ago, Okarin said:

Ā I was expecting Monster Musume would break all barriers and provide us with a wedding ending...

I don't know why you would expect that considering
a) It's still an on-going manga series
b) It's an ecchi harem romcom andĀ those things hardly ever get proper endings

Even as a manga reader I don't expect Monser Musume's mangaĀ to give me a proper ending.

The only harem seriesĀ I've ever seen give us an actual conclusive ending is The World God Only Knows, but only the manga, the anime got cut short. It probably took the author a lot of balls to actually pick one of the girls out of the like 20+ girls available.

And on the other side of the spectrum, you've got shit like Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, which seems really promising since we know who the protagonist is kind of leaning torwards and we know the girl reciprocates his feelings,

Spoiler

and then they make him actually date one of the OTHER girls for a full year, only to then have them break up when they graduate. That's literally how the light novel ends. Needless to say everyone was pissed.

Ā 

Seems I was misled by the opening... Monster Musume seemed groundbreaking to me in so many ways. I suppose it's just the most decent harem in ages.

And yeah, the first season of the anime could only provide such an ending if it deviated completely from the manga, which it didn't. And besides, theyĀ still have to make more money out of it.

The most shitty romance story I have laid hands upon was "Kimi ni iru machi"... I spoiled it off since I didn't want to keep watching, and found heaps of complaints towards the author.

6 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I don't know why you would expect that considering
a) It's still an on-going manga series
b) It's an ecchi harem romcom andĀ those things hardly ever get proper endings

Even as a manga reader I don't expect Monser Musume's mangaĀ to give me a proper ending.

The only harem seriesĀ I've ever seen give us an actual conclusive ending is The World God Only Knows, but only the manga, the anime got cut short. It probably took the author a lot of balls to actually pick one of the girls out of the like 20+ girls available.

And on the other side of the spectrum, you've got shit like Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, which seems really promising since we know who the protagonist is kind of leaning torwards and we know the girl reciprocates his feelings,

Spoiler

and then they make him actually date one of the OTHER girls for a full year, only to then have them break up when they graduate. That's literally how the light novel ends. Needless to say everyone was pissed.

Ā 

UQ Holder!, Negima and DxD are my top picks in regards to Harem Manga/LN, because they don't have those stupid stuff, its either the protagonist is pretty active in his feelings or he actually has a proper reasonĀ not to pick someone instead of some undecisive reasons. Seriously NOT PICKING A GIRL is actually an option if its done properly. Forcing drama in a harem series is just stupid... I'd get it if its a love triangle, thats a death sentence for the people involved... But making a drama out of a harem is just asking for trouble.

Another anime trope I hate a lot: CRAPPY WESTERN NAMES, dammit they are everywhere, is it really that hard to find some normal western names. Just use John Smith If you're desperate, oh that was done in Campione!, well done sir. Anyway why don't the japanese authors use google?

5 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

And on the other side of the spectrum, you've got shit like Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, which seems really promising since we know who the protagonist is kind of leaning torwards and we know the girl reciprocates his feelings, and...

You're a moderator and you dropped that major spoiler bombshell openly like that? For shame.

1 hour ago, Rilarion said:

UQ Holder!, Negima and DxD are my top picks in regards to Harem Manga/LN, because they don't have those stupid stuff, its either the protagonist is pretty active in his feelings or he actually has a proper reasonĀ not to pick someone instead of some undecisive reasons. Seriously NOT PICKING A GIRL is actually an option if its done properly. Forcing drama in a harem series is just stupid... I'd get it if its a love triangle, thats a death sentence for the people involved... But making a drama out of a harem is just asking for trouble.

Another anime trope I hate a lot: CRAPPY WESTERN NAMES, dammit they are everywhere, is it really that hard to find some normal western names. Just use John Smith If you're desperate, oh that was done in Campione!, well done sir. Anyway why don't the japanese authors use google?

UQ Holder is still ongoing, so I would throw that one out. If you wanted a protagonist who was proactive in his confession with the harem, there's quite a few out there. Ā I would totally throw Negima under the bus for the two reasons of the pactio's were born more out of necessity than romance except near the end, where it became obvious that the series was headed towards a rushed end. Even then, we STILL didn't get a proper ending. I would say DxD is actually the only legitimate example in this case because it's already blatantly clear he has a harem and it is going to stay that way.Ā 

All of the tropes I've seen in this thread are complaints about quantity or misuse rather than the actual annoyance of the trope. Ā It's all "I see this way too damn much".Ā 

For me, an actual annoyance of a trope is the split protagonist being introduced partway through the story. Ā Since most manga are written by expansion rather than full storyboard, the introduction of a second protagonist to add a second side of the story. Ā It breaks the story and places it on effective hiatus without actuallyĀ stopping serialization.Ā 

18 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

You mean I saved everyone the pain of being blue balled by that terribleĀ light novel? :makina:Ā 

Guess I'll spoiler it anyway.

A spoiler's a spoiler. Don't make excuses. I'm not particularly amused even if I am bitterly disappointed by the sound of the ending.

16 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

UQ Holder is still ongoing, so I would throw that one out. If you wanted a protagonist who was proactive in his confession with the harem, there's quite a few out there. Ā I would totally throw Negima under the bus for the two reasons of the pactio's were born more out of necessity than romance except near the end, where it became obvious that the series was headed towards a rushed end. Even then, we STILL didn't get a proper ending. I would say DxD is actually the only legitimate example in this case because it's already blatantly clear he has a harem and it is going to stay that way.Ā 

All of the tropes I've seen in this thread are complaints about quantity or misuse rather than the actual annoyance of the trope. Ā It's all "I see this way too damn much".Ā 

For me, an actual annoyance of a trope is the split protagonist being introduced partway through the story. Ā Since most manga are written by expansion rather than full storyboard, the introduction of a second protagonist to add a second side of the story. Ā It breaks the story and places it on effective hiatus without actuallyĀ stopping serialization.Ā 

Ā 

UQ Holder is still ongoing but its doing things right so far. As for Negima main character is 10 years old and he is too focused on his goal to look at the girls, so he has a legitimate reason not to be interested in romance.Ā 

Also its normal to complain about the quantity, because IfĀ its rare then it wouldĀ simply beĀ an issue for a particular anime or manga and not a trope.

6 hours ago, Rilarion said:

Ā 

UQ Holder is still ongoing but its doing things right so far. As for Negima main character is 10 years old and he is too focused on his goal to look at the girls, so he has a legitimate reason not to be interested in romance.Ā 

Also its normal to complain about the quantity, because IfĀ its rare then it wouldĀ simply beĀ an issue for a particular anime or manga and not a trope.

You were trying to make anĀ arguments that they were good examples of a harem, and I was pointing out that in regards to the specific trope in question: the open end, they aren't.

And thanks for reinforcing the point of complaining about quantity of tropes is pointless, which is what this thread was doing. Ā It wasn't about the annoyance, it was about the frequency. A trope is a trope because it is frequent, so complaining about it means you are attempting to deny it the qualification of being a trope instead of the annoyance of the trope itself.

On 1/2/2016 at 7:40 PM, Rilarion said:

Asino Altiele (ć‚¢ćƒ¼ć‚·ćƒŽćƒ»ć‚¢ćƒ«ćƒ†ć‚£ć‚Øćƒ¼ćƒ¬)

Asino(donkey)=dumbass

LULZ.

They definietly do a better job with english names.

Romance Anything (triangles, inability to confess, lack of communication, ect.) - So much unnecessary, and often uninteresting, drama...just like real life.

Childhood Promises - Should never be taken seriously.

The Power of Friendship (and other similar Deus Ex Machina) - Lead me in with the promise of some kind of epic battle only to end it with some ass-pull BS.

Infinite Endurance - Often related to the previous one. Heroes can survive entire EPISODES of getting their asses kicked but villains rarely survive a single special attack or fancy combo. Balanced fights are significantly more interesting to watch.

Beta/Oblivious Protagonist in a Harem (especially those with assertive heroines) - Suspension of disbelief can only go so far...

Harems that aren't Harems - Mostly due to the aforementioned, but it would be nice to see a harem series actually end with a harem.

Walking in on People Changing/BathingĀ  - More specifically, the reactions to it. Clearly a Japanese thing. Seems to be the defacto way to set up a tsundere.

Food - I don't really know how to word this but Japan has some fetish level obsession with food. Nearly every single anime has to have some scene with a character eating something and exclaiming how amazing it is (or possibly how bad it is if the anime is a comedy) and, depending on the anime, may go into how it was made/the ingredients of said dish. By itself, the trope isn't bad but the fact that it is probably the most frequently used trope in anime (manga/VNs/LNs) makes it pretty annoying.

Modern Tsun(dere?) - I should start by saying I'm not a fan of the modern tsundere in general (switches back and forth between being mean/nice) but some modern tsundere are in their tsun state 90+% of the time and have their bitchiness cranked up to 11. These characters are incredibly unlikable (even by people that typically like modern tsundere) yet the plot requires you (and likely the male MC) to like them because they're often a main heroine (Isuca for instance).