VN Reading Club - December (Forest)

Kaguya

Idk if I can participate, but this one was pretty good, but in some times I got lost. Forest's plot is so perfect, and the characters so likeable. I took some tome to understand who Alice was and why, and to get used to characters' clothes changing ALL THE TIME [bad art].

In general, it's great

I didn't choose 'no' at the first option, so I viewed the first tea party without knowing any of the characters.

Then suddenly, sex. SEXXXXXXXXX. I'm like whoa this is fast.

I'm at Story of the Beginning II.

A quick comment before I travel, Nagatsuki is definitely the best girl. 

Agree.

Please someone tell me there's a somewhat understandable answer by the end of the game. I'm having the hardest time continuing with the game and all its randomness that I'm at the point where I just don't care anymore. In fact, I'm so bored out of my mind that I'm actually falling asleep while playing it. The completionist in me (damn me!) won't let me stop playing it though. I just finished "The Game". Someone motivate me to continue.

I feel like Forest would've been an awesome anime or movie rather than just texts.

I feel like Forest would've been an awesome anime or movie rather than just texts.

Forest can hardly work in a medium that doesn't allow non-linear storytelling. Precisely because of all the choices and bits of stories you have to go grab.

Also the prose is pretty interesting, I guess it would be even more so in the original japanese text.

Please someone tell me there's a somewhat understandable answer by the end of the game. I'm having the hardest time continuing with the game and all its randomness that I'm at the point where I just don't care anymore. The completionist in me (damn me!) won't let me stop playing it though. I just finished "The Game". Someone motivate me to continue.

By the end you should have a vague understanding about a number of things, and what overall happened. Don't expect a lot of answers though.

The last two chapters are really great, especially the 6th one, and maybe a bit more straightforward than The Game? But not all that much.

Forest can hardly work in a medium that doesn't allow non-linear storytelling. Precisely because of all the choices and bits of stories you have to go grab.

Also the prose is pretty interesting, I guess it would be even more so in the original japanese text.

By the end you should have a vague understanding about a number of things, and what overall happened. Don't expect a lot of answers though.

The last two chapters are really great, especially the 6th one, and maybe a bit more straightforward than The Game? But not all that much.

You're definitely right about whole non-linear thing. I kind of forgot the game has like bazillion choices with all sorts of different paths.

A vague understanding huh? Sounds somewhat disappointing...I guess I will keep continuing to play it though. God knows this game is taking me a lot longer than it should because of all the times I've been dozing off while playing it.

I know people praise the game, but at the moment, I hate it with a burning passion lol. I've never had such a difficult time completing a game as this. Hopefully the end gets better because I thought the story would actually kind of pick up after "The Game" as that was quite exciting, but now that that's done, I'm bored again.

A general question, are all Liar Soft games like this? As in lot of ramblings and somewhat random nature??

A vague understanding huh? Sounds somewhat disappointing...I guess I will keep continuing to play it though. God knows this game is taking me a lot longer than it should because of all the times I've been dozing off while playing it.

I know people praise the game, but at the moment, I hate it with a burning passion lol. I've never had such a difficult time completing a game as this.

Hmm... Yeah, Forest is definitely not a game easy to its reader. I saw someone say that trying to understand Forest was like trying to understand Umineko except without the red statements, lol.

It's not a game for everyone, but not because it's hard to understand (that'd be pretentious), rather because you precisely need to appreciate a story that doesn't give you all of the keys and isn't straightforward at all. That's a question of affinity with that kind of story I guess. Personally I really like that kind of stuff where you don't really know where everything is going, where you can vaguely feel what's behind but not precisely grasp it. I also love non-linear and meta-fictional stuff, too.

God. I just finished "The Game". It was great.

However, those choices... Do those choices lead to different routes?

I completely forgot that this was an eroge, so I also forgot about the possibility of having different routes.

I guess "The Game" is where it all branches off, huh.

So yeah. I just went on and on after choosing the choices I have chosen. I'm not gonna regret this. Definitely.

So now, I'm thinking of a lot of things.

Huh. I always thought that Amamori and Akeru were kind of weird. It's kinda reassuring that they really are. Originals, huh? It intrigues me. The early reveal of the sprite of the girl speaking with a man in the background of the game as Amamori confuses me though. Does that mean that they're still telling the story of 'Forest'? I'm also quite confused, since I also noticed Black Alice speaking with this man (who I assume to be Akeru) in the background, especially at the part where Alice called the Jabberwock. But eh. I can guess that they're telling the story, or if that's not the case, retelling the story. The Originals, eh? It still interests me to an extent.

Anyway, the part that interested me the most in the early stages of the visual novel was Alice. Alice... is loosely related to Miyano Kako? Or very closely related? I can even assume her to be Alice herself. The power of imagination. Can such a power lead her to interfere with the laws of the forest, or the world? That I do not know. Akeru seems to, though. That man. So mysterious. Oh. One part that's very mysterious to me is the fact that I got a bad end from having sex with Alice. I can only assume that Akeru lost himself in the pleasure of having sex with Alice. Oh well.

Kariya Mako too. I'm currently at the Dawn Treader Chronicles, which I think is Part VI. She killed someone? Sadly, I'm not that far into it yet. I wonder who she keeps on referring to as 'him'... Is it Akeru? Or another man?

Nagatsuki... She seems to remember something in "The Game". Something related to Miyazumi, as far as I'm concerned. I wonder what's between them? I guess that's why Nagatsuki doesn't want to leave Miyazumi behind. Yeah. I wonder...

Miyazumi, huh? This girl, obsessed with her professor... What kind of life does she have? The power to dream... giving power to Laputa. I wonder...

God. I just finished "The Game". It was great.

However, those choices... Do those choices lead to different routes?

I completely forgot that this was an eroge, so I also forgot about the possibility of having different routes.

I guess "The Game" is where it all branches off, huh.

So yeah. I just went on and on after choosing the choices I have chosen. I'm not gonna regret this. Definitely.

So now, I'm thinking of a lot of things.

Huh. I always thought that Amamori and Akeru were kind of weird. It's kinda reassuring that they really are. Originals, huh? It intrigues me. The early reveal of the sprite of the girl speaking with a man in the background of the game as Amamori confuses me though. Does that mean that they're still telling the story of 'Forest'? I'm also quite confused, since I also noticed Black Alice speaking with this man (who I assume to be Akeru) in the background, especially at the part where Alice called the Jabberwock. But eh. I can guess that they're telling the story, or if that's not the case, retelling the story. The Originals, eh? It still interests me to an extent.

Anyway, the part that interested me the most in the early stages of the visual novel was Alice. Alice... is loosely related to Miyano Kako? Or very closely related? I can even assume her to be Alice herself. The power of imagination. Can such a power lead her to interfere with the laws of the forest, or the world? That I do not know. Akeru seems to, though. That man. So mysterious. Oh. One part that's very mysterious to me is the fact that I got a bad end from having sex with Alice. I can only assume that Akeru lost himself in the pleasure of having sex with Alice. Oh well.

Kariya Mako too. I'm currently at the Dawn Treader Chronicles, which I think is Part VI. She killed someone? Sadly, I'm not that far into it yet. I wonder who she keeps on referring to as 'him'... Is it Akeru? Or another man?

Nagatsuki... She seems to remember something in "The Game". Something related to Miyazumi, as far as I'm concerned. I wonder what's between them? I guess that's why Nagatsuki doesn't want to leave Miyazumi behind. Yeah. I wonder...

Miyazumi, huh? This girl, obsessed with her professor... What kind of life does she have? The power to dream... giving power to Laputa. I wonder...

Well, that's it for me. The Dawn Treader Chronicles is kind of long. I'll try to finish this today. I have a feeling that I'm in for a number of surprises in this chapter...

There are no routes in Forest.

However that doesn't mean everything is straightforward. Basically, The Game is awfully messy when it comes to choices. With or without a walkthrough it's hard to make head or tail of it. If you want to do it without a walkthough the best way to do it is probably just to randomly try out a path and then re-do things again once or twice in trying to get as much different choices as you can and see where it leads you. There are loads of sudden bad ends and one or two sneaky ones that come much late.

It's only The Game that's a mess though. The Dawn Treader Chronicles is a bit more simple, several of the choices are simply like the prologue - you need to try them all out to get the full gist of what happens but it all converges quickly - others are more complex but it's not as confusing. There are still a number of bad ends in it though, as well as a few endings.

I only managed to start Forest today because I've been studying for an exam I had to write earlier.

I've played about an hour of it and so far all I got from it is Akeru gets all the chicks.

So far, I have no idea what the heck is going on and I'll probably never figure it out but at the same time its interesting/motivating me to continue on hoping for an answer, which I'll probably never get.

I'm enjoying the game but haven't gotten too much further in only on chapter IV just finished III. Considering I just played sakura spirit right before getting another chapter of Forest read this seems infinitely better for chapter III than it probably normally does. 

Just finished Chapter Four, the one with Peter Pan and Captain Hook. Stopping for the night at Chapter Five, The Game.

So far Forest reminds me of high school english with all them Shakespeare plays and trying to figure out what the heck is going on without having to use sparknotes.

Initially I was frustrated with the game because I didn't know what was happening but now that I have a slight (by 2%) understanding of it, its pretty interesting, definitely different from everything I've read (outside of VN as well). I'm looking forward to The Game and beyond.