Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

He is a level 100 NPC, but he's not a guardian in the same meaning the other guardians are, being an area guardian instead of a floor one. There's a lot of NPCs in Nazarick that didn't show up, and the distinction between them is somewhat important. His power is pretty cool, too.

Also, they didn't show Nigredo. Awwww. Really hoping they do it next episode, part of why I'm watching is to see how they'll animate her awesomely freakish face- they stayed true with Shalltear's Blood Frenzy, so I have high hopes. 

They skipped some stuff, like every episode, but I guess that's fine. I do disagree with the cuts of this particular episode, though. If they were going to cut most of the magic crystal dialogue/the killing of the party that decided to follow Ainz' they might as well cut all of it for other, more important stuff. Can't always get what you want, I guess.

Yes, well, I said guardian simply as a means to state that he's basically of the same "rank" than the other guardians.

I have indeed heard that they are cutting a lot from the LN, but I have no idea if it has been for better or worse. A friend of mine claims it's for worse, but I don't trust his opinon one bit because he's of the mind that "anything less than 100% exact adaptation is automatically crap". Any comments on anything important or vital they have skipped?

Yes, well, I said guardian simply as a means to state that he's basically of the same "rank" than the other guardians.

I have indeed heard that they are cutting a lot from the LN, but I have no idea if it has been for better or worse. A friend of mine claims it's for worse, but I don't trust his opinon one bit because he's of the mind that "anything less than 100% exact adaptation is automatically crap". Any comments on anything important or vital they have skipped?

If the manga is anything to go by, mind you, I haven't read much of the books or watched much of the anime, probably a lot of internal monologuing is cut.  Overlord is one of those series that I will 'eventually' get around to reading simply because it is updated regularly.

Nah, they didn't cut anything vital. They cut lots of internal monologuing/narration in general, the biggest offender being Shalltear's fight with Brain Unglaus (who is an actually important character that will get lots of development/be pretty important if they ever make a season 2, I was mildly disappointed with that), completely cut Khajit's past (which is pretty much whatever, not like he's relevant) and cut off a lot of dialogue with the 8th tier magic cristal and really shortened the part where Ainz meets and kills the guy in the latest episode and his guild. 

The chapters were too big to convert to whole episodes, and in general, I agree with their cut decisions. These 4 were the ones that stood out to me, though.

Overlord is going well I may decide to read the LNs later.

Can't wait to see Ains vs Shalltear. And I always used to think that Albedo was the most powerful NPC followed by Shalltear but it appears that it's not so. So is the power ranking Ains > Shalltear > Albedo > Demiurge ?

As for Rokka no Yuusha, I can't help but feel that it's quality has reduced from what it was at the start. Adlet's love confession felt kind of sudden to me, think that their relationship should have developed a bit further before jumping to the confession. Though it can be excused by saying that it was due to Adlet's desperation, the scene still didn't have much impact. 

Hopefully they handle the revelation properly in the next episode.

Can't wait to see Ains vs Shalltear. And I always used to think that Albedo was the most powerful NPC followed by Shalltear but it appears that it's not so. So is the power ranking Ains > Shalltear > Albedo > Demiurge ?

As for Rokka no Yuusha, I can't help but feel that it's quality has reduced from what it was at the start. Adlet's love confession felt kind of sudden to me, think that their relationship should have developed a bit further before jumping to the confession. Though it can be excused by saying that it was due to Adlet's desperation, the scene still didn't have much impact. 

Hopefully they handle the revelation properly in the next episode.

It was not sudden at all. Whether his feelings are real or not, we can easily agree that he did that in order to get Flemy on his side, since Addlet knew he was cornered. When Maura catches him, he deals the "finishing" blow by insisting (and proving) once again that Flemy is certainly not the 7th and that Maura won't be able to get her next after he's dead, making Flemy decide to trust him in the end and saves his life.

Whether he really loves her or not, he did indeed use Flemy's feelings to his advantage. I felt it had a lot of hidden impact, in the realization that Addlet might actually not care at all about the other heroes as long as he gets what he wants.

In the LN(keep in mind the LN and not the original Web Novel) because the web novel had no Albedo. 

The power rankings were.

Shalltear=Strongest of all the Floor Guardians. 

And considering the class and abilities she is actually more powerful than Ainz.

In the LN, during the fight between Ainz and Shalltear, Ainz uses a large amount of cash-bought items to win. If he hadn't I doubt he would have actually won against Shalltear.(Plus he planned the fight out from the start.)

Shalltear has constant high Dps, a weapon that allows her to heal, she is also a melee class but also a divine caster I think so she can sort of match Ainz in magic. She has shields, heals, high constant damage due to her melee classes, etc, etc. Basically an all rounded fighter. 

Ainz is purely a death-based magic caster. So he benefits best from having a front-line plus team members to shield/guard him. Not fighting 1v1 against a melee class. 

TL: DR: In terms of PURE POWER and BATTLE ABILITY(Without cash bought items) Shalltear is probably the highest.

However if you add knowledge, strategies and Cash Bought Items than Ainz is without a doubt the strongest.

In the LN(keep in mind the LN and not the original Web Novel) because the web novel had no Albedo. 

The power rankings were.

Shalltear=Strongest of all the Floor Guardians. 

And considering the class and abilities she is actually more powerful than Ainz.

In the LN, during the fight between Ainz and Shalltear, Ainz uses a large amount of cash-bought items to win. If he hadn't I doubt he would have actually won against Shalltear.(Plus he planned the fight out from the start.)

Shalltear has constant high Dps, a weapon that allows her to heal, she is also a melee class but also a divine caster I think so she can sort of match Ainz in magic. She has shields, heals, high constant damage due to her melee classes, etc, etc. Basically an all rounded fighter. 

Ainz is purely a death-based magic caster. So he benefits best from having a front-line plus team members to shield/guard him. Not fighting 1v1 against a melee class. 

TL: DR: In terms of PURE POWER and BATTLE ABILITY(Without cash bought items) Shalltear is probably the highest.

However if you add knowledge, strategies and Cash Bought Items than Ainz is without a doubt the strongest.

Ohh 

Well since Shalltear is a NPC I had simply assumed that she would be weaker than Ains. But it does seem odd that one could create NPC's as strong as themselves......

Episode 10 and 11 of Gakkou Gurashi are basically what the series should have been from the get go, or at least from episode 5 or so onwards.

The atmosphere was tense the whole time and the events happening on screen managed to grab my attention a lot more than the previous episodes did, it's just a shame this is the second to last episode and nothing much is going to happen now.

Yuki's awakening also happened, and this time a bit more obviously than it did in the manga.

I kind of liked the way the anime handled it a bit more, but maybe that's just because of all the things a piece of paper can't convey lol.

If there's one thing I have to say I didn't like as much, it's how the characters break down torwards the end.

Rii-san in the manga gradually breaks down with each event and when Kurumi is infected she's really keen on killing her.

In the anime Rii-san only breaks down when Kurumi gets infected and even then she's very relunctant to do anything.

They're both theoretically fine, btu I personally prefer the former because I liked seeing their personalities change so much from the start of the series to where they are now. It gave the story a darker feel.

I guess next episode they'll leave the school, considering everything is being burned down, which means they'll be skipping yet another couple of scenes.

Although they're not fairly important scenes, but I do think they were relevant to the overarching plot, assuming the series wants to have an overarching plot.

I think the possibility of a sequel is very high, they didn't seem to be going for an original ending which is both really annoying and also probably the best thing to do.

We'll see how they finish things off but I can't imagine them doing things too differently.

This series was a bittersweet adaptation, doing certain things well and certain things not so well.

Episode 10 and 11 of Gakkou Gurashi are basically what the series should have been from the get go, or at least from episode 5 or so onwards.

The atmosphere was tense the whole time and the events happening on screen managed to grab my attention a lot more than the previous episodes did, it's just a shame this is the second to last episode and nothing much is going to happen now.

Yuki's awakening also happened, and this time a bit more obviously than it did in the manga.

I kind of liked the way the anime handled it a bit more, but maybe that's just because of all the things a piece of paper can't convey lol.

If there's one thing I have to say I didn't like as much, it's how the characters break down torwards the end.

Rii-san in the manga gradually breaks down with each event and when Kurumi is infected she's really keen on killing her.

In the anime Rii-san only breaks down when Kurumi gets infected and even then she's very relunctant to do anything.

They're both theoretically fine, btu I personally prefer the former because I liked seeing their personalities change so much from the start of the series to where they are now. It gave the story a darker feel.

I guess next episode they'll leave the school, considering everything is being burned down, which means they'll be skipping yet another couple of scenes.

Although they're not fairly important scenes, but I do think they were relevant to the overarching plot, assuming the series wants to have an overarching plot.

I think the possibility of a sequel is very high, they didn't seem to be going for an original ending which is both really annoying and also probably the best thing to do.

We'll see how they finish things off but I can't imagine them doing things too differently.

This series was a bittersweet adaptation, doing certain things well and certain things not so well.

So are you saying they paced it awfully, or was the directing just bad?

So are you saying they paced it awfully, or was the directing just bad?

A mixture of both.

This is not to say the anime was inherently bad, just that overall it feels like it underperformed.

In the early episodes, the pacing was all over the place, I didn't really get what the anime was trying to achieve.

Some episodes drag on for too long while important scenes are cut out from the adaptation.

And now it's finally getting decent, but an anime that needs 10 episodes to get good isn't exactly what I'd call brilliant.

I still think it's watchable, but I do find the adaptation extremly average.

To be fair, even the manga is not something groundbreaking, but I feel as though it did things better.

? What happened in Episode 9 that was bad.

Nothing. It's simply that light novels which get adapted to anime need to get cut a lot, since it would be impossible to fit anything into 12/24 episodes, and some people believe that the amount of things that are being cut are too many, and too important. I haven't read the LN, so I have no idea about this.

It's nevertheless a good anime, so I wouldn't care too much if I were you.

Nothing. It's simply that light novels which get adapted to anime need to get cut a lot, since it would be impossible to fit anything into 12/24 episodes, and some people believe that the amount of things that are being cut are too many, and too important. I haven't read the LN, so I have no idea about this.

It's nevertheless a good anime, so I wouldn't care too much if I were you.

You would be surprised at how little actually gets cut. Instead of cutting things, they change them. Zero no Tsukaima is an excellent example of this in action; they hit every major plot point yet everything in between is only roughly similar.

The most recent example I can give off the top of my head would be in DxD Born how they pushed Issei's entertainment debut into what would be the 4th season. They also changed the Fafnir fight to include Loki. Nothing really got cut, they just changed it.

I would suspect that Overlord might be a case of things actually getting cut though, simply because about ~50% of quotations in the light novel is internal monologuing.

You would be surprised at how little actually gets cut. Instead of cutting things, they change them. Zero no Tsukaima is an excellent example of this in action; they hit every major plot point yet everything in between is only roughly similar.

The most recent example I can give off the top of my head would be in DxD Born how they pushed Issei's entertainment debut into what would be the 4th season. They also changed the Fafnir fight to include Loki. Nothing really got cut, they just changed it.

I would suspect that Overlord might be a case of things actually getting cut though, simply because about ~50% of quotations in the light novel is internal monologuing.

Joukamachi no Dandelion has been more fun than I thought. Looks like they went especially special on the animation for the final ep. It looks so colorful~

Happy end, did not expect who the king is though. But it fits.

True, Momonga does have those internal conversations with himself.

But the anime has adapated that pretty well. 

Recently 10-11 have some changes in them from the LN but nothing too major. 

Yeah well, I was looking forward to Albedo's older sister. But she got cut, completely. So yeah I was pretty pissed about it.

Not to mention the OP animation actually previews the 4th novel, which got me hyped from episode 2. But after episode 9, I know that won't happen..... so yeah... basically disappointment.

Huh, initially the anime was listed as 2-cour, so I guess they decided to do a split cour, kind of annoying but fair enough.

One of the better anime this season, in my opinion.

With a charismatic cast of characters and a rather realistic interpretation of the setting, this anime always had the edge over plenty of others for me. 

It really just made me want to see more of the world they were in and what kind of political struggles will start surging.

Itami is perhaps one of the best executions of otaku characters out there, capable and with his own goals set, and for that I already praise this anime more than most.

Huh, initially the anime was listed as 2-cour, so I guess they decided to do a split cour, kind of annoying but fair enough.

One of the better anime this season, in my opinion.

With a charismatic cast of characters and a rather realistic interpretation of the setting, this anime always had the edge over plenty of others for me. 

It really just made me want to see more of the world they were in and what kind of political struggles will start surging.

Itami is perhaps one of the best executions of otaku characters out there, capable and with his own goals set, and for that I already praise this anime more than most.