Most depressing Anime/Manga you have watched/read?

atchikotchi

http://www.animeseason.com/juuousei/

here's why. if you haven't seen it, don't click, because the spoiler here is about to spoil the entire show.

again, only click if you've seen it or have no desire to ever see it.

no seriously. stop it.

first, the main character and his brother walk in to their house to find that their parents have been murdered.

They are then shipped to a planet where almost every form of plant life will try to kill you.

the main character then is forced to watch his brother get eaten alive by said plants.

he then is forced into a brutal civilization where he has to kill other people to survive.

he fells in love, and then she is killed off by his best friend, but is tricked into thinking it was another one of his best friends.

he then admits his feelings for the girl who has been with him the entire time he has been on this planet, who grew up with him, but then she is immediately killed.

he then finds out that his best friend was sent there by the very people who killed his parents to watch over him.

he then finds out that he wasn't actually their child, and is instead a human clone experiment.

he then learns that the earth was destroyed hundreds of years ago, only nobody outside of the government agency that created him knew about it.

he then loses his best friend, who kills himself to save the main character's life.

in short, he lost his parents, his brother, his lover, his new lover, his best friend, his home planet, his identity, and everything else he ever held dear. this is an anime about a guy who loses literally everything a man can possibly lose.

most depressing manga I've ever read was battle royale for obvious reasons, but mostly because I don't get around to reading much manga.

Psycho Pass episode 11 wins the prize in my eyes (if you've seen it, you know exactly which episode that is). Fate/zero's ending was fairly depressing as well.

Other than that, I kinda want to agree about AnoHana, but I thought the series ended on a very positive/optimistic note, so I can't really classify it as *too* depressing.

This is a really tough question, I watch a lot of Nukige anime so it's particularly hard for me. I will get back to you on this question after I cut out the obvious ones, like Clannad and all the Keyfag stuff.

hmm, Indeed but still in my opinion, 5 centimeters per second are the most depressing for me...

or at least, what my mind says

The funny thing is that part 3

is actually several endings happening at once, one of them is happy.

Angel Beats, 惑星のさみだれ, and

Kamina dying in TTGL

Hmm this is a though question

from my opinion I'd say the most depressing anime is 5cm Per second, angel beat, clannad after stroy, kanon on Sawatari Makoto arc, KGNE though its old anime ;)

It's kind of a cliché answer, but I'd still have to say Clannad After Story. Despite the ending it's one of the rare shows that left me with "feels" for a few days after finishing the show. If I had to choose something else, I'd probably say Grave of the Fireflies, it gets at least a few tears from me every single time. From more recent shows I have to admit I cried during about half of Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai.

As for manga, I haven't read anything but gag/comedy manga in a while, but I think I vaguely remember shedding a tear at some point when I read 20th Century Boys. For something actualy depressing, not necessarily sad, I'd have to say MPD Psycho or Gantz probably.

edit : I had completely forgotten about this one since it has been a few years that I read it.(and watched the live action movie) Dragon Head is actualy what I'd qualify as the mot depressing manga I've read. Well, they're all pretty depressing anyway. Also thinking back on it Kimi Ga Nozomi Eien was also one of the most depressing shows I've watched as well. Takayuki's attitude certainly didn't help.

Edited by Forythos

It's kind of a cliché answer, but I'd still have to say Clannad After Story. Despite the ending it's one of the rare shows that left me with "feels" for a few days after finishing the show. If I had to choose something else, I'd probably say Grave of the Fireflies, it gets at least a few tears from me every single time. From more recent shows I have to admit I cried during about half of Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai.

As for manga, I haven't read anything but gag/comedy manga in a while, but I think I vaguely remember shedding a tear at some point when I read 20th Century Boys. For something actualy depressing, not necessarily sad, I'd have to say MPD Psycho or Gantz probably.

edit : I had completely forgotten about this one since it has been a few years that I read it.(and watched the live action movie) Dragon Head is actualy what I'd qualify as the mot depressing manga I've read. Well, they're all pretty depressing anyway. Also thinking back on it Kimi Ga Nozomi Eien was also one of the most depressing shows I've watched as well. Takayuki's attitude certainly didn't help.

The 2 or 3 episodes before the last one gave me a huge amount of feels. You just don't put someone down like that, man. Touka was bitch all along, but then she crossed the line in the sand. Undude, man. Very undude.

But the most depressing show I've ever seen was Elfen Lied. It's one of my all-time favorites, but goddammit, I challenge anyone to watch it and not have their view of the world drastically changed.

Evangelion was also depressing as hell. But then again, Anno Hideaki is chronically depressed. I heard he was even hospitalized multiple times because of it.

Clannad: After Story. I wasn't a huge Nagisa fan, and I didn't cry for her, but those scenes with Ushio and Tomoya... I was bawling. The story of how their relationship developed is hands down the most heartwarming thing I have ever seen. I hated the ending of the anime due to the fact that it reversed everything they went through as father and daughter.