Starship Anime or Whatever the Genre Thingie is Called

In hopes of having you actually understand what I mean, I am hoping to obtain recommendations for anime in the style of

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12029/Uchuu_Senkan_Yamato_2199

http://myanimelist.net/anime/569/Musekinin_Kanchou_Tylor

http://myanimelist.net/anime/396/Seikai_no_Senki

That said, I haven't actually watched the Yamato one, perhaps because I was under the impression that it was too serious for me or something.

However, do not let seriousness restrain you. Free your wings and suggest freely I welcome all. They will, at the very least, achieve the honour of staying in my "Plan to Watch" section forevermore, collecting dust with the rest of the recommendations I've accumulated. 

Space anime happens to be one of the things I love most of all.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a famous and crazy long (100+ episodes) epic space opera with bizarrely old-fashioned space nobility fighting each other in space. It's good. I think. I have only watched a bit of it, but it's on a lot of 'anime you must watch or else' lists.

Toward the Terra is a bit of an underdog anime that doesn't get mentioned much which is a sin and a crime because it is really good. It mixes the X-Men 'normals vs. powered people' conflict with an epic space journey toward... well, you can probably guess where it's toward.

There are probably tons more I'm not remembering at the moment but LotGH will take you a year to finish anyway so meh. Here have some openings

Oh also most (though not all) of the Gundam series spend a lot of their time on battleships in space, though I think they need no introduction. I recommend starting with Seed if you haven't watched much Gundam before. If you watch the originals first you'll probably despise Seed when you watch it, however if you watch it divorced from any connection to any of the older shows it will come across as much more acceptable. I like Seed despite how many times I've been told by Gundam fans that it's the worst thing ever.

+1 to Legend of Galactic Heroes.  I've watched the entire series.

Also Knights of Sidonia, but you're probably watching that already.  It was ridiculously hard to find a video clip of the OP by the way.  The publisher must be actively erasing it from the net.  I have no idea why a company would want to crush distribution of promotional materials...

Yamato and LoGH are really the ones that can be recommended without hesitation. Infinite Ryvius is something very cool too.

If you want something in space but more hard SF/realistic and slice-of-life oriented I'd add Planetes too.

I can also recommend you shorter things (short OAV series and movies, may include giant robots):

-Gunbuster (giant robots)

-Macross Plus (giant robots)

-Macross: Ai Oboete Imasu ka (a few robots)

-Harlock: Waga Seishun no Arcadia

-Galaxy Express 999 & Sayonara Galaxy Express 999 (fantastic movies, really recommended, although the main 'ship' is a space train here)

-Gundam 0080 (not that many Gundams in that, but not that many space either consequently)

After that, depending your tolerance to a number of factors (old style, bad animation, shitty love triangles, giant robots, inconsistent quality... not all at once but you get the drift), you could add Macross SDF, Harlock 78, VOTOMS, a number of Gundam series.

If you wanna go for Sidonia I feel compelled to recommend you the manga over the anime, as part of my crusade against vomit-looking 3D.

While the story does stand on its own, not knowing about the initial conflict between the Zentraedi (or however you spell it) and the humans will make some of the things in Frontier not make as much sense. I would recommend at least watching the original Macross anime before watching Frontier.

Also Frontier makes an absolute metric ton of nods to the original Macross, to the point where you could almost say it's a reboot of the story of the original to a certain extent, so you'll enjoy those a lot more if you know what they're referencing.

Edit: Frontier also references some of the other Macross spinoffs as well, but I don't think they're as essential to watch.

Nice to note a good deal of your recommendations contain the 'mecha' tag. Glad to see you're you.

Here's a question, some of these recommendations have huge amounts of sequels prequels and it's incredibly hard to find a starting point. While I am inclined to start right by what was recommended precisely, I still feel inclined to ask, at least in this occasion.

'Mecha' technically designates anything mechanical, which is why depending on where you look, things that contain a great deal of spaceships, cyborgs, armor suits and other AI tanks will be included under it. That's why I used the more precise designation "giant robots".

As far as I'm concerned, anything I listed by name can be watched independantly of the license it comes from.

While the story does stand on its own, not knowing about the initial conflict between the Zentraedi (or however you spell it) and the humans will make some of the things in Frontier not make as much sense. I would recommend at least watching the original Macross anime before watching Frontier.

Also Frontier makes an absolute metric ton of nods to the original Macross, to the point where you could almost say it's a reboot of the story of the original to a certain extent, so you'll enjoy those a lot more if you know what they're referencing.

Edit: Frontier also references some of the other Macross spinoffs as well, but I don't think they're as essential to watch.

Got it. Let's see how this goes.

I don't believe I am particularly fazed by art usually, (I grew up watching things like that really) so it should be fine.

'Mecha' technically designates anything mechanical, which is why depending on where you look, things that contain a great deal of spaceships, cyborgs, armor suits and other AI tanks will be included under it. That's why I used the more precise designation "giant robots".

My point stands, but now I know.

What prompted this baseless assumption?

Because you're interested in starship anime, and Knights of Sidonia happens to be one of the best anime currently airing regardless of genre.  It's one of the precious few anime that doesn't rely on moe tropes to move the story forward.

Because you're interested in starship anime, and Knights of Sidonia happens to be one of the best anime currently airing regardless of genre.  It's one of the precious few anime that doesn't rely on moe tropes to move the story forward.

I think you should watch more good anime, lol. There are a lot of series airing that are not about moe, and some of them are even good (Kekkai Sensen, Euphonium).