Culture and Tradition

Kurokusari

Played some mmo... Romanians, romanians everywhere. But hey, there are fools from every countries, on every game. Still, the asian are the less " trolling " community, and that's a fact.

Filipinos = Asians. Well maybe less trolling and more mindless flaming.

And heck the thread got derailed XD

I'd rather stay on track guys so if you don't mind. . .

Hmm, America is pretty well covered so I'll give a religious one.

We get to eat these the day after Lent starts every year.  They are only made that one day out of the whole year.

Paczki.jpg

We have something pretty much equal to that here in Brazil, they're called "sonho" (Literally means "dream"), and they're sold on basically every bakery.  :kosame:

We talking country sweets now? Sweet.

Mostly popular in Saudi Arabia: Dates

khadamaty-20350520.jpg

I'm not sure if these are special to Sudan, or all of Arabia or whatever. We call 'em Basta, and it's my personal fav  :lol:

4_1355220477.jpg

Well, I can honestly sit here all day showing you guys different sweets, I hope these two were enough to make you drool :sachi:  

Ooohh we have some good sweets here in the PH, too.

Although mostly are made up of rice combined with sugar and other sweet stuff.

Kutstinta

kutsinta.jpg

Bibingka

bibingka.jpg

Sapin-sapin (lit. layered)

tumblr_inline_n8594bCH2Q1qjeioi.jpg

And yes, these are really mostly made up of rice. I think they're called malagkit which means 'sticky' in English.

We talking country sweets now? Sweet.

Mostly popular in Saudi Arabia: Dates

khadamaty-20350520.jpg

I'm not sure if these are special to Sudan, or all of Arabia or whatever. We call 'em Basta, and it's my personal fav  :lol:

what's inside it?

i think i ate something similar from a turkish friend but i can't say for sure

what's inside it?

i think i ate something similar from a turkish friend but i can't say for sure

I honestly have no idea, though as you said it does taste delicious :P And yes, it's probably Turkish. I think they call it something different tho

Food is a part of culture  :mellow:

Posting pictures of food is not really discussion, regardless if it's part of a country's culture, this thread is basically derailed right now and I'm trying to tell you to get back on track before doing anything.

If you want to discuss a country's food habits and delicacies and how they correlate with culture and whatnot that's fine, but if you just want to post pictures of food this thread will be moved.

My parents came to America as refugees during the vietnam war. I guess they would be considered the "boat people" since that's what they escaped by.  They were boarded by pirates, but luckily no one was killed (or raped) and only all the money, gold, and jewelry were taken.  They then stayed in refugee camps on some small islands for quite a long time before the Americans came to pick them up (I forget what islands they were called). They had nothing when they came here pretty much (lost everything).  The US government & people really helped my parents until they started doing better on their own.  They later gave birth to me in the US.  My parents used to/still always tell me horror stories about how communism ruined the country of vietnam and the evils they have done.  Oh, and they lived in south part of vietnam btw.

My mom's side of the family told me that they had a very thriving business back when they were in vietnam.  I've heard similar stories from other relatives, where their status was pretty well off.  But when communists came, they robbed and took Everything.. like just raided places with money and so they couldn't do business anymore.  People would hide money if they could xD.  I think my mom told me, her family had gotten tips about what was going to happen (and from what I was told, my dad had already escaped ahead).. so my grandpa and other people were building a boat together in secret and used money to bribe some people & favors into escaping later.  I'd have to ask my parents when exactly things happened  :nervous:.  There's a lot of interesting stories I've heard from relatives too and how they escaped, or the things that happened when they remained, etc.

Being a first-born asian-american, I was kinda clueless about it as a young kid.  Probably because I lived in California, and I was in the more asian-dominated area.  The things that happened in the home, our culture, food, etc. I thought Everyone was like that (even if they looked different).  I finally realized my culture was different when someone pointed out the things I ate were weird and gross...  I had always thought everyone did, and ate the same stuff I did, lol (yup, rice rice rice all the time~). 

And the food that someone reacted to me in a disgusted manner was the Balut egg (my family also often eats the Century Eggs, mostly in rice porridges).  http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/the-worlds-3-most-disgusting-egg-dishes.html    :ph34r:   I guess I grew up eating that kind of stuff, so I'm used to it.  To others, it's disgusting~~~

I'm kinda jumping randomly now but~ also wanted to share, growing up, the values I saw often were (for me personally, were)

1) Respect your elders & authority figures.  

2) Put family above yourself.

3) Education is most important for success.

I'm also part chinese, so my favorite time of the year as a child was celebrating Chinese New Years~  you get free money from older people & elders.  You're required to give them some kinda of well-meaning wish (ex: "Happy New Years, may your business thrive, may you forever remain in good health, and may you also get whatever you desire this year.") and in return, they give you a red envelope with money inside  ^_^.  The sucky thing... is that when you're older, you'll have to be the one giving money to all the little kiddos xD.

^Hoh... very interesting

I don't think my parents' boat was boarded by pirates, thankfully. The boat did have some issues staying afloat though (too heavy or something) so they had to dump things overboard and well, there goes a picture of my great grandfather 

~~
Li xi is the best.

Another thing  is parades.

Here, we have parades on both Memorial day and 4th of July.  We always have cook-outs (burgers, brats, steak, etc.) as well and family parties sometimes too.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is always a must watch too, though I've never been. 

I'm also part chinese, so my favorite time of the year as a child was celebrating Chinese New Years~  you get free money from older people & elders.  You're required to give them some kinda of well-meaning wish (ex: "Happy New Years, may your business thrive, may you forever remain in good health, and may you also get whatever you desire this year.") and in return, they give you a red envelope with money inside  ^_^.  The sucky thing... is that when you're older, you'll have to be the one giving money to all the little kiddos xD.

Technically, you don't have to, just a thank-you after they gave you the envelope is enough. And you don't have to give money to kiddos either until you have a stable income, unless you just simply want to do it :lol:

I don't think my parents' boat was boarded by pirates, thankfully. The boat did have some issues staying afloat though (too heavy or something) so they had to dump things overboard and well, there goes a picture of my great grandfather 

Hm, I think the boat my mom was on, they had to do that too.

Not really want to say bad things here, but most of "boat people" are brainwashed by the US, seriously.

I'm curious, if you wouldn't mind pming me about your thoughts on that.  :)

My parents came to America as refugees during the vietnam war. I guess they would be considered the "boat people" since that's what they escaped by.  They were boarded by pirates, but luckily no one was killed (or raped) and only all the money, gold, and jewelry were taken.  They then stayed in refugee camps on some small islands for quite a long time before the Americans came to pick them up (I forget what islands they were called). They had nothing when they came here pretty much (lost everything).  The US government & people really helped my parents until they started doing better on their own.  They later gave birth to me in the US.  My parents used to/still always tell me horror stories about how communism ruined the country of vietnam and the evils they have done.  Oh, and they lived in south part of vietnam btw.

My mom's side of the family told me that they had a very thriving business back when they were in vietnam.  I've heard similar stories from other relatives, where their status was pretty well off.  But when communists came, they robbed and took Everything.. like just raided places with money and so they couldn't do business anymore.  People would hide money if they could xD.  I think my mom told me, her family had gotten tips about what was going to happen (and from what I was told, my dad had already escaped ahead).. so my grandpa and other people were building a boat together in secret and used money to bribe some people & favors into escaping later.  I'd have to ask my parents when exactly things happened  :nervous:.  There's a lot of interesting stories I've heard from relatives too and how they escaped, or the things that happened when they remained, etc.

Being a first-born asian-american, I was kinda clueless about it as a young kid.  Probably because I lived in California, and I was in the more asian-dominated area.  The things that happened in the home, our culture, food, etc. I thought Everyone was like that (even if they looked different).  I finally realized my culture was different when someone pointed out the things I ate were weird and gross...  I had always thought everyone did, and ate the same stuff I did, lol (yup, rice rice rice all the time~). 

And the food that someone reacted to me in a disgusted manner was the Balut egg (my family also often eats the Century Eggs, mostly in rice porridges).  http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/the-worlds-3-most-disgusting-egg-dishes.html    :ph34r:   I guess I grew up eating that kind of stuff, so I'm used to it.  To others, it's disgusting~~~

I'm kinda jumping randomly now but~ also wanted to share, growing up, the values I saw often were (for me personally, were)

1) Respect your elders & authority figures.  

2) Put family above yourself.

3) Education is most important for success.