What makes Evangelion so great?

Dark Ariel7

First off, don't get me wrong. I like Evangellion. I just dont love evangellion. After having have watched most of it (still have about 4 episodes to go) Im just here wondering why people love it so much. Its a good anime but I was just not struck by it. Is it all in the ending? Or am I just not seeing something that I should be?

Hmm. Is the ending that good? Because I honestly lost some motivation around episode 20-ish when they started to reveal the real nature of the angels. Im just wondering if Im missing out on the best part of the series. From this one Doujinshi I read I can somewhat guess the nature of the ending though

The best way I've seen it described is imagine a mindfuck where you're not sure even the writer knows what he's trying to say. Plus it was supposedly a breath of fresh air in the mecha genre at the time and started a number of tropes including the tsundere (though don't take my word on those last 2 points because I might be wrong, but part of it is definitely the fact that it was something different and is now basically a "classic")

Basically, its a show that makes little to no sense, which makes it great because so many theories can work within the context of the show. 

I think the creator wrote his depressive thoughts, which is probably why it makes little to no sense. I call it pseudo-philosophy, because it seems really deep but not really. I like the first half better than the second, and the fans are really mental.

What Im getting is that people love it because it has a vague yet complicated plot? I thought people hated that. They are always complaining of newer mecha anime that they plot has holes or makes no sense or whatever. After watching those and going to see Evangelion I thought I would be struck by genius but it really is not very different at all. 

I can't bring myself to watch Evangellion, I know it's a classic and pretty much a "must watch" for anime fans. It's just, that I can't stand shows that completely disregard their "plot" at the end of the story in favor of their "message". The last time I watched an anime like that was Ergo Proxy and that nearly cured me of my otakudom.

Also Shinji is the most annoying protagonist ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rq2_CSO65Y

True enough. But I dont think Shinji was actually that bad. He really was just a normal kid up until they just called him up randomly. Even the other guys from his HS understood how hard it was on him. 

Which brings me to another problem I have with the show,

who in their right mind designed robots that can only be piloted by highschoolers? I know there is some weird crap with family member's souls being integrated with the eva units so only certain people can pilot them, but why not create clones, or whatever the hell Rei is, for the sole purpose of angel fighting.

No.  You think you want this, but trust me, you don't want this.  

I liked it....? What did you not like?

I haven't watched Death/Rebirth and The End of Evangelion yet though. So no opinion on those, but the show was very good, the manga was great, and the new movies? HRNGHG SO GOOD

Edit: Alsohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

I don't personally like Evangelion because I don't like depressing things with a negative outlook

Evangelion has a fairly positive ending but if you ever watch anything else from the series after that (IE any of the movies, including the new ones) it wads up that positive ending and throws it out the window.

I don't like apocalyptic/post apocalyptic shows, I don't like artsy shows, I don't like whiny realistic teenage protagonists, I hate tsunderes and kuuderes, I love my family so it always depresses me to watch anything where family relationships are super strained or horrible, I hate how mecha shows after it had to start being all dark and angsty (don't get me started on the stupid 'darker' reboots of old classic mecha shows that happened post-Eva) and I'm not a big fan of the mecha design either.

ALLLLLLL that said, even I will openly admit that Eva was a masterpiece the shook the anime world and changed the rules for things that came after it. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it and, in the end, if you sat me down to watch it again myself I wouldn't complain. Like Fate/Zero, it's an anime that I hate with a passion while still having deep respect for it.

Then again I think the new reboot movies are better than the original because they reveal that (3rd movie spoilers)

Shinji is pretty much the villain of the series. By the end of the third movie it's not even 'pretty much'. Shinji is straight up the villain.

I'm sorry but I mean no offense to any Evangelion fans here.

But I think it's not great at all. 

If there is such a thing, it must be because:

1. Shinji is such a pussy

2. Not much anime talk about clonings

3. Its weird and hard to comprehend psychological conflict

I liked it....? What did you not like?

I haven't watched Death/Rebirth and The End of Evangelion yet though. So no opinion on those, but the show was very good, the manga was great, and the new movies? HRNGHG SO GOOD

Edit: Alsohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Everything.  The last two episodes were so bad.  It was so good until then.  So good.....