Rin's Mysteries

solidbatman

About a week ago, Tay put out a call for VN plot ideas. Well I am here to announce that a writing team was formed, a plot nailed down, and a studio was formed. Project Rin Studios is proud to officially announce it's debut visual novel, "Rin's Mysteries"

"They're onto us." A worried voice broke the silence. "The firewall is down. Someone has access to the files."

"What?! But the artifact?!" came an alarmed reply.

"It's already been decided. We had no other options..." the voice trailed off.

Rin has been alone for as long as she can remember. After her parents died in an accident, her life has been one of isolation. Confined to her grandfather's shrine, her only comfort is Minchi, her best and only friend, who has lived with her for as long as she can remember. Save a few memorable exceptions, Rin has never been allowed to leave the Shrine. On one summer day all of this changes, however, when her grandfather unexpectantly asks, "Rin, how would you like to go to school?"

Across the town, an orphan returns to the town of his birth. He's come for answers. Always moving from one town to another, always awkward, and always an outsider, he makes a personal resolution: "This time, it will be different." Little does he know, standing at the bottom of the hill leading to a local shrine, that his wish will soon be realized. "Just give her the survey, introduce myself, and don't do anything stupid."

As he climbes the steps he hears what sounds like a girl singing. "Shes singing?" he wonders as he reaches the last steps. His gaze is drawn to a girl sitting under a tree with her eyes closed, softly singing to herself.

The mysteries begin Chirstmas 2013

Early Concept Art by: Mooingmage

Art_Moo_Sketches_InitialIdeas_edit_commentary_zps25751028.png

Coming Christmas 2013

Periodic updates will be posted here on Fuwanovel, but if you want more, feel free to visit the developer blog here.

Stay tuned. We'll be needing your help soon!

There has been an amazing amount of great ideas and enthusiasm surrounding this project. Its really amazing how many creative people we have here on Fuwanovel. Even though the writing team has been formed and the plot nailed down, I want you guys to know that there is going to be a detective aspect to the story were creating so we are going to be looking for some ideas. This is where you come in.

More will be posted on this soon.

I am now super hyped for this, glad to see something so cool come out of here.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out InvertMouse's Unhack game and Yukari's crowd funding effort for her Indiegogo funded Kako no Koi. We aren't the only ones trying to create a VN/Game.

Thanks for the support guys! It motivates me (and I'm sure the other staff) to work even harder on this :D

Oh lordy, I didn't even realize the idea had been picked and was still writing new concepts(and posting)! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahaaaaa...;_;

Oh well, might come in use someday later!

Sounds pretty kickass, and like I said before, I loved the idea, so I am looking forward to this! <3

EDIT:

BTW, Tay and all the other people who got together to start this VN project. Completely unrelated to the project itself, but goddamn, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I have actually not written much at all for the better part of 2 years due to self-criticism for the most part, and this project finally got me writing properly again, goddamn that feels AMAZING.

Rooting for your success, and also hoping I actually get to join you guys on another project someday <3

Here have a hopefully inspiring song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ditwIepxz64

Oh yes! Definitely gonna try and lend a hand whenever the chance comes up! :D

Also, my ultimate dream is to get into the video game industry and promote my favorite titles, but writing is definitely once again becoming one of my most fun and hour consuming hobby <3 Heck, might even get some novels out(Don't care if it succeeds as long as even one person reads and likes it!) later down the road <3

BTW, curious, who have you got for music? Or do you mean to keep the info private?

EDIT:

BTW, Tay and all the other people who got together to start this VN project. Completely unrelated to the project itself, but goddamn, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I have actually not written much at all for the better part of 2 years due to self-criticism for the most part, and this project finally got me writing properly again, goddamn that feels AMAZING.

Rooting for your success, and also hoping I actually get to join you guys on another project someday <3

So, eclipse, you and I have PM'd a lot over the months about writing and your ideas. The fact is: your ideas are really good, and some of them good enough that I encouraged you to take them off the public net. You've got a LOT of talent, and you should absolutely keep writing. Self-criticism is a real thing, and while done the right way it can help us improve. It sounds like your self-criticism went a little to far, so let me say that you should let it go, fight the critical voice, and embrace the fact that it's wrong. You've got great ideas and natural talent.

: )

i blogged this in my last post http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net

Thank you, Aaeru! Means a lot!

Thanks for the Blog post Aaeru. Although it was originally Tay who had the idea to do this and formed the team! smile.gif

I edited it on the blog, but the truth is that both Batman and Ryoji have been just as big of players as I've been, and I'm so grateful for their help. We've got some REALLY great ideas, and I think our core team will really rock this. Down and Moo are contributing to the writing team, and Moo is on the art.

We've got a great team. Thanks, everybody!

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooo looks like I'm late to the party due to posting in wrong topic but I'll copy-paste what I posted HERE instead so it doesn't go to waste. Enjoy, and feel free to use it as you see fit! And if you need any extra help with writing/production etc, you know how to find me~

This (ie Western-created VNs that lack the standard stereotypes that always plague otherwise excellent Japanese-produced VNs) is a cause I’m passionate about, so I’ll quickly break my self-imposed hiatus to quickly throw a few ideas out into the ether.

The first thing to say is: good job Tay! Organising something like this takes passion and dedication and the results are well worth-it. Rewrite for example was one VN that tried to put multiple minds to work to create a single overarching story and was all the better for it. It was very broad in scope, touched on multiple genres, several of them being quite different (eg slice-of-life VS shounen action). Because it combined so many thematic elements as well (eg the “happy school life” idea, environmentalism, self-worth, etc) I could very easily imagine it to have been borne out from this very process. The only thing is when individual writers run too independently on their own creative genius without focusing enough on the overarching plot what results runs the risk of looking messy and carelessly stitched-together. Some writers try to overcome this by abusing established templates (eg TVTropes stuff) - which imo takes something away from a creative process where what is created really should be personal to you. Not something to worry about in the brainstorming phase, perhaps; but definitely something to consider later on.

There were two ideas that I’ll play about with. This is not to say the others are in any way inferior; it’s just that they were simply the first two I saw and I really should be in bed by now!!

mooingmage / Ryoji’s mystery of the Wish-Granting Book.

(link here)

Turns out Miss Lolimoe was planted there as a deliberate trap by Rin’s enemies, who had suspected her to be the one whom they had sworn vengeance on, but wanted to make absolutely sure she was the one before they captured her and subjected her to a fate worse than the burning of a thousand and one suns...

So Rin opens the book and Miss Lolimoe pops out – subconsciously drawn to Rin because of her latent demon-summoning powers. Then cue a scene where she maybe goes sth like: oh, this person is of a pure heart and desires world peace…maybe I should start making all the girls in school fall in love with each other so they stop fighting!! > suggestive Yuri scene/imagination portrayal? But then Rin notices her before (or if you’re REALLY wanting to write sth like that then shortly after!) she does anything, and then she goes all DFAKJGBogvr doushite you can SEE meeee!??!?! kyaAaaAaAaaahh hazukashii desu yo~~~ >.<

However seeing Rin commune with Miss Lolimoe on such friendly terms is proof enough for her evil enemy people that they’ve found their target! So they charge in all guns blazing, and after the two run around like headless chickens for a while Rin realises Ms Lolimoe is actually a pretty strong Youkai and in the heat of a moment chants an ancient, centuries-old chant of untold power:

In the name of the ancient power of Aaeru that within me sleeps,

I call upon thee, oh burning child lolimoe,

within whome is housed moe from the lolis of the moes most high,

yea! High enough to turn the most stonehearted

into Steves; the most simple-minded

into Tays; and the most pure-hearted

into harrykinomotos. Under me to serve, oh lolimoe,

your power now turn these wretched people

into hikikomori otakus who will never bother me again

except to ask to gaze once more upon thy lolimoe form!!!

And as the evil people are blasted off by her newly-appointed sidekick’s power, Rin turns to her (who btw is still going I got seen by people and some of them were men kyaaaah thisissohazukashii >///<), and realised her school life was never, ever going to be the same again...

A/N: I clearly have a disturbing talent for writing Mahou Shoujo...

Eclipsezero’s Power of Social Influence scenario

(link here)

There are some divisions of real-world psychology that are dedicated to finding out how to do precisely that. See, for example, Motivational Interviewing or Neuro-Linguistic Programming. My idea was to take those facts however, and run with it, modifying Tay’s suggested plotline for it thus:

ACT 1 / ACT 2: As per original.

ACT 3:

Confrontation with the bad guy. MC runs out of SI power at critical moment.

To reader’s surprise, however, bad guy is able to continue using SI power – and uses it to wipe MC’s SI power – but for him to act as if he still had it. The writing should suggest to readers that this is a cruel intervention: possibly for eg because the bad guy suggests he do things that may sound impossible.

ACT 4:

Where readers expect MC to crash and burn, he actually does well. In fact, aside from a few minor inconveniences, MC is able to live his life normally.

MC stumbles on several pieces of information that essentially inform the reader that the “bad guy” wasn’t actually such a “bad” guy after all; rather, he was trying to free the MC from the crutch of living life a slave unto his SI “power”, and learn to start living as a confident, natural human being. AND NOW IT’S DECISION TIME~

Normal End: MC continues to live life happy and carefree. However he remains ignorant, never learns the truth of the “SI incidents” / Research Division’s agenda, and the “bad” guy vanishes tragically into the sunset.

Good End: MC actually realises “bad” guy was trying to help him, and they become friends, and life goes on, the “SI incidents” a distant memory.

True End: Above except that they work together to uncover the whole mystery.

Possible implication of YOUR HAVING POWERS WAS ALL A DREAM but hey, isn’t IRL actually quite beautiful when you look at it hmm?? <3

OR: include some suspenseful vestiges of unexplained supernatural phenomena. (for sequel?) How exactly this can be done effectively depends on details of previous plot.

• 1 month later...