Craving a VN with lots of choices and looking for a good classic.

AlexZandria

Okay guys I've been a part of the VN forums a lot more lately but I have to say my reading history is lacking. I actually got into VNs through Ren'py, if that makes it clear. I'm looking for 2 kinds of recommendations.

1) I really want a good game with lots of choices/endings.Not something: 

• kinetic
  • enforced play order
  • choose girl you like over and over to get her route.

2) I want a good 'classic' (/popular?) recommendation.

• The Dangan Ronpa and Zero Escape series are the only "Big" names that I've read other than your Yaois.
  • I've heard about Steins;Gate, Cross Channel, Muv Luv, F S/N, Clannad, Majikoi, G-Sensuo,Grisaia, Princess Evangile, insert a dozen other names I see in every topic here.
  • There are too many names I hear over and over on every thread and I don't know where to start. I'd like a few people to just list 1 or 2 of their favorite well known VNs and why they enjoyed it so that I might be able to pick one. Please, please, please don't try to list a bunch because that's my problem picking a VN to start with
  • I'm not a fan of mecha, space, or heavily historical based settings if that makes any difference.

Biggest requirement? It has to have an English translation. I really wish I could read Japanese but I can't.

TL;DR- VNs translated into English, with lots of choices/endings and 1-2 of your 'must read' VNs also translated into English

Thanks guys!

School Days

+ fully animated

+ tons of choices that matter and with no clear "correct" answer

+ highly branching storyline with over 10 unique endings

+ semi-realistic drama that doesn't rely on moe tropes

+ officially localized (support English releases!), and the prequel Shiny Days will be released in a few months

- game engine is a bit unstable and crashes once every few hours

ONE. Alright, calling it must-read is debateable, but it is very much a "classic". This is where Key started, and it's not that bad plotwise either. You will need strong graphics-ignoring powers though. I recommend it~!

The second you mentioned Key I figured out the second part ;( the amount of times I've fought over Key having bad graphics is to high. I know you said it was where Key started but is there any other reasons you recommend this specific Key title over other Key titles? I normally hear about Rewrite, Little Busters, and Clannad when I hear people talking about Key so this feels like an odd choice of recommendation.

School Days

+ fully animated

+ tons of choices that matter and with no clear "correct" answer

+ highly branching storyline with over 10 unique endings

+ semi-realistic drama that doesn't rely on moe tropes

+ officially localized (support English releases!), and the prequel Shiny Days will be released in a few months

- game engine is a bit unstable and crashes once every few hours

I've actually seen this title from JAST before but I hadn't played it. If Shiny Days is coming out in a few months would you actually recommend me waiting for it and then starting with that one? Or should I read School Days first?

Here's my review of Tsukihime if you want something classic:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/playable-import-games-for-adults.html

Thanks for such an in depth review :) I tend to avoid games with very dated art but after reading that review I think I could look past the art and give it a few hours of my time to see if it is worth the read.

yuno

As for the Yu-no suggestions would it be worth waiting for the remake that is coming out this year or do people think it isn't going to be as good as the original?

Remember11 might interest you, especially if you liked ZE (they are by the same writer). However, there are 33 endings (a hassle to get them all, and most suck), quite a respectable bunch of choices, and two routes (you need to get the good ending of the first route to unlock the second), not decided by heroines.

Overall, an amazing VN.