Computer broke :(

meru

Hey everyone! Not sure if anyone noticed, but I haven't been around for a while, and the reason is.. my computer died :( Seems like the harddrive is completely dead, so it's in for repair, and will apparently take at least A MONTH before it's done. Most of my work files etc are stored on the cloud, but I've lost a TON of save game data, and actual games that I'd dled. Gahhhhhh!! Also I now have to share my boyfriend's computer.. he's also a gamer, so we're kind of fighting over it most of the time XD

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what's going on.. and I hope I can get some comfort from you guys XDD

Yes, I was wondering just that! In fact, I was writing Ryoji a PM earlier today about you and Steve. I hope things work out! Let us know if we can do anything (mail you a FSN DVD, etc. ; )).

Ah that's too bad, happened to a while back, luckily it was only data HDD so I "only" lost most of the VNs and anime but had my saves and other work elsewhere. (the things I dont have on cloud as they are too big like unedited video fiels and such)

Funny thing was they swapped me the disk for new without even trying to repair it (well they don't repair it, just throw it away as sending it back to dev would be waste of effort and money) and the new one was broken from start xD

Anyway that's why I always recommend building your own PC (which you can open how you want wihtout breaking warranty), one thing dies and you just replace it with older one or different one (like in case of disk, GPU or something those didn't change in years so I can use my older GPUs), or quickly buy new one if the old one is not compatible (like if motherboard dies or something like RAM and you only have old ddr2, but both of those are cheap and you can keep the one returning from reclamation as a spare part xD). Only problem is CPU as new is expensive and the old one usually doesn't fit (unless you buy new one every few months xD) and only in that case I'd have to wait for long without PC (well I'd probably buy new CPU and motherboard in that case anyway, I could use an upgrade).

Yes, I was wondering just that! In fact, I was writing Ryoji a PM earlier today about you and Steve. I hope things work out! Let us know if we can do anything (mail you a FSN DVD, etc. ; )).

are my posts invisible? xD I am posting at least 2 or 3 a day still xD Its just there is so much people now that its probably easy to miss xD

Rule of thumb is that consumer hard drives usually have a lifespan of 3-5 years.

It's good that your most important files are safe, but maybe you should add "files that will take a long time to reacquire" to that category too and store a copy somewhere else; storage is cheap enough these days to mirror everything.

"If it's not backed up, it's not data you want to keep." Data recovery services exist but they are bloody expensive.

VN translators: your work is important too, if for no other reason than the time it takes. Systems like VNR and RWI help mitigate that risk by storing the data for you. "Translator lost all his work" should no longer be a reason for a project to end.

Thanks so much Ryoji, Daeyamati, Tay, and everyone else!!! I really appreciate your kindness smile.gif

dang...

maybe can get a temporary 2nd hand one for like 1000yen which no1 wants anymore? there's lots of those here in my city

Hmm I hadn't thought about that, but I don't really have any cash to spare right now ^^; But my bf has lent me his Android tablet, so I'm learning to use that! Just bought vnds today~

Haha. Me being a total nerd, I have set up a git repository of my save games. XD

And as for the games, I store them in a NAS setup in RAID 10 configuration. Yeah. My files are as important as my work. LOL.

Thanks for the ideas! I really do need to set up some kind of storage for my non-work files, game data, etc.

Your boyfriend is a gamer and he can't replace a hard drive?

In any case , sucks about the hard drive; you don't keep backups?

Re the backup thing.. yeah, I really should have been keeping backups >__< I used to back up to an external harddrive, but that broke a while back (yeah, I'm sensing a theme here...) and I hadn't got around to replacing it yet. Kicking myself for that now!

My computer itself is only about 6 months old so it was still under warranty.. much easier to send it in for free repairs than replace the hd myself! (I think I could do it but never actually tried it) Obviously it takes muuuuuch longer but... FREE! tongue.gif

Anyway that's why I always recommend building your own PC (which you can open how you want wihtout breaking warranty), one thing dies and you just replace it with older one or different one (like in case of disk, GPU or something those didn't change in years so I can use my older GPUs), or quickly buy new one if the old one is not compatible (like if motherboard dies or something like RAM and you only have old ddr2, but both of those are cheap and you can keep the one returning from reclamation as a spare part xD). Only problem is CPU as new is expensive and the old one usually doesn't fit (unless you buy new one every few months xD) and only in that case I'd have to wait for long without PC (well I'd probably buy new CPU and motherboard in that case anyway, I could use an upgrade).

I really should start learning to build my own, shouldn't I?! My dad was an IT teacher so he used to build mine for me.. now I've moved out I've realized that I just relied on him for everything & don't actually know how to do anything myself!

are my posts invisible? xD I am posting at least 2 or 3 a day still xD Its just there is so much people now that its probably easy to miss xD

Naw, I was writing about all the awesome people on Fuwanovel. Ryoji never got the PM, tho, since when I clicked the post button, my computer about;blank'd and I lost it :(

There were a lot of names, tho :) Thanks, all, for being so awesome!