Getting A New Pc

Vargas

For about the last 4-5 years I have been using this Intel core I5 2.5Ghz Windows 7 x64 laptop pc. Plan on getting a Desktop pc this year prob around 1k-2k just wondering what specs everyone thinks I should focus on. I Will probably get one with atleast 2Tb, Windows 8 since it works better now, atleast 3.5ghz-4ghz, 16 Gig ram, and Intel core I7. Idk what other things I should worry about since this pc will be for web design and future uses with Visual Novels, playing music/movies, and anything else. I use Newegg for the place I will be buying all the pc parts and building my own although I don't know how well people that sell there own custom build ones work. Some have got my interest but still not sure if thats what I plan on doing. If you have a good built pc let me know what I should do about this. I have been searching around what to do but still haven't made a decision on building my own pc or just buying one that's already made for people.

My build

Actually got help getting the parts for my comp here on Fuwa, too.

CPUs: Don't get an i7 unless you're going to be doing seriously processor-heavy things; I have an i5 and can run every game I have on Ultra settings, without having noticeable framerate dips.  I do have to switch my fan onto higher settings, but other than that, barely any stress.

GPUs: I'd personally recommend Nvidia, but I don't know that much about GPUs.

Also, don't buy pre-built rigs.  They always charge extra, and you lose the flexibility of getting to pick and choose the parts you want.  If you want to piss off a lot of computer guys, go and talk about Alienware computers and how they're the best things on Earth.

My build

Actually got help getting the parts for my comp here on Fuwa, too.

CPUs: Don't get an i7 unless you're going to be doing seriously processor-heavy things; I have an i5 and can run every game I have on Ultra settings, without having noticeable framerate dips.  I do have to switch my fan onto higher settings, but other than that, barely any stress.

GPUs: I'd personally recommend Nvidia, but I don't know that much about GPUs.

Also, don't buy pre-built rigs.  They always charge extra, and you lose the flexibility of getting to pick and choose the parts you want.  If you want to piss off a lot of computer guys, go and talk about Alienware computers and how they're the best things on Earth.

Thats really a good one... Really balanced and without unnecessary things. +1 for that, you could only change a few things to the newer generations...(eg. CPU: 4690K, SSD: MX100 series, GPU: GTX 9 series or AMD Radeon HD)

Lol, I saw the price and i was like...hmm.. then you said it is mainly for VN and I literally LOLed, why would you need a good processor and so much ram to read VNs? if your getting a gaming pc, processor, ram, and graphics card... as for memory, just buy 1TB hard drives and shove them in , and voila, memory.  i5 is acutally decent since 2 really good cores can run most things and run decent games too. Ram I wuld say 8gb is more than enough for VN reading, you said you wanted 3.5 ghz-4.0 ghz... make that two cores and your good, 4 cores at that spec is such a waste of money 

Lot's of great opinions for you here, with some really good builds. So basically, I only have one real thing to add to this.

Solid state hard drives. 

Have at least one of these babies. My friends computer boots up and is ready for use in about 15 seconds. Playing skyrim on his computer with a good 30 mods on, it cuts the loading screen times in half. They are expensive, even for one as small as a 120gb. But its worth it to have your OS on andfor playing games, you can get a cheaper hard drive with more space for things like your movies, older games, etc. You wont regret it.

Lot's of great opinions for you here, with some really good builds. So basically, I only have one real thing to add to this.

Solid state hard drives. 

Have at least one of these babies. My friends computer boots up and is ready for use in about 15 seconds. Playing skyrim on his computer with a good 30 mods on, it cuts the loading screen times in half. They are expensive, even for one as small as a 120gb. But its worth it to have your OS on andfor playing games, you can get a cheaper hard drive with more space for things like your movies, older games, etc. You wont regret it.

Yes, SSD are a must have for gaming pcs, but this guy is using his comp to Read VN and watch movies etc, a SSD is a waste of money for him, a super overkill

Lol, I saw the price and i was like...hmm.. then you said it is mainly for VN and I literally LOLed, why would you need a good processor and so much ram to read VNs? if your getting a gaming pc, processor, ram, and graphics card... as for memory, just buy 1TB hard drives and shove them in , and voila, memory.  i5 is acutally decent since 2 really good cores can run most things and run decent games too. Ram I wuld say 8gb is more than enough for VN reading, you said you wanted 3.5 ghz-4.0 ghz... make that two cores and your good, 4 cores at that spec is such a waste of money 

He's got a point.  You can pretty much run most VNs on the pre-built computers that all schools have.  Really, they're not very CPU or GPU intensive, and they don't hog memory.  The only issue you might run into is storage, but I've yet to reach 1TB, and I have several 20+ GB games downloaded, as well as at least 50 GBs of VNs.  I haven't even hit 500 GB yet...so odds are, if you aren't using it for gaming, you won't need to spend much more than $1k.  Again, VNs and streaming aren't that intensive; I can easily do both on my 5+ year old Mac desktop (VNs through Parellels).  The only reason you should shell out more is if you're going to game or use CPU-heavy designing programs.

Yea like I said on the post, the desktop I am getting is more for home web design and playing vns. I plan on getting it for that other then streaming movies/music to our 1080p tv we have. Games that i will play will most likely be vns, other then a few i got on my steam game list like dying light but the rest work fine on my 2.4ghz laptop atm.

Instruction complexity is another factor that determines CPU performance, though less applicable since we're referring to the x86 ISA. Now the thing with IPC is that it isn't some fixed number, you can get a maximum assuming pipelining idealism and perfect utilization of all datapaths but that's usually far from reality, given all the data hazards and branch mispredictions the CPU will face. The IPC that most refer to is derived, not measured, as an average from the number of instructions, frequency and time taken. Traditionally, the IPC was a clear indicator of microarchitectural effectiveness, especially back in the days of scalar pipelined processors whose CPI (1/IPC) remained well above 1. Today, IPC is still the main goal for improvement for microarchitecture students like myself, though, the shifting trend from ILP to TLP has broadened our design philosophy.

16389409776_0976ab316e_o.png

True, but I was just speaking in a general manner. Also, for what is worth for the general consumer having a general knowledge that more instructions per cycle is better most of the cases suffices. I mean it's not like the consumer, for example, needs to know that Intel has been using what is effectively nodes with FinFet(their tri gate transistor technology) starting from Ivy Bridge, instead of planar ones when making their purchase.

Okay right now.

CPU's you have two options:

1) Get an I5 CPU say 3.0Ghz - 3.5Ghz or so

Then have to upgrade in 18 months when i7 becomes minimum for high end games

2) Get a I7 - I recommend 3.5Ghz 4770k

GPU

Anything less than 3Gb is not worth it for 1080P gaming right now.

Either get a mid range 3Gb and upgrade in 18 months or invest in a 6Gb

and upgrade in 3 years.

Ram

8Gb ram will be the minimum by 2016, Ram is cheap

get 16Gb with a motherboard that can handle 32Gb. 

Just my 2 cents.

Okay right now.

CPU's you have two options:

1) Get an I5 CPU say 3.0Ghz - 3.5Ghz or so

Then have to upgrade in 18 months when i7 becomes minimum for high end games

2) Get a I7 - I recommend 3.5Ghz 4770k

GPU

Anything less than 3Gb is not worth it for 1080P gaming right now.

Either get a mid range 3Gb and upgrade in 18 months or invest in a 6Gb

and upgrade in 3 years.

Ram

8Gb ram will be the minimum by 2016, Ram is cheap

get 16Gb with a motherboard that can handle 32Gb. 

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZJrsssPA0

I have a GTX 780M

and it plays crysis on very high at 1080p smoothly thank you very much.

I can't speak for the 980 as I'm not going to upgrade till 4K becomes a truly viable

option and not just a gimmick. (gonna be a while)