Zero Escape Fan Made VN Is Announced On Twitter, Claims Half The Profits Will Go To The Making Of Zero Escape 3

Funyarinpa

• 3 weeks later...

So these 'fans' are making their own game that will sort of share the same feel as ZE, and are claiming they will somehow support the development of ZE3 by letting the developer buy stocks in the license holder with half of their release profits. Even if the sketchy claim of giving him money to buy stocks were true, how would it affect the chances of a ZE3 release? Unless this random project that is trying to ride coattail of a semi-popular game series somehow made a huge amount of money and the developers didn't get sued by the license holders for the stuff they are claiming, Uchikoshi buying stocks with whatever money they give him will do nothing. One stockholder buying a small portion of the company just to petition for a particular project isn't going to magically change the fact that everyone else involved has already decided that the project is a bad idea, and killed it because games weren't selling well.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole. If the namedroped staff members are proven to be a part of this, and you really want to see this particular game developed, then support it (As long as they don't come out with some ridiculous goal in crowdfunding). If you're just wanting to see another ZE release, then don't touch this crap. Maybe petition for a crowdfunding campaign from people who actually have a right to make such claims.

Why do you say that? I don't 'everyone' at Chunsoft thinks the game won't sell, just a certain number of them have more influence. According to Uchikoshi not everyone is against the idea.

These people are claiming to give this guy half their profits, so that he may use them to purchase a foothold in Chunsoft. If he couldn't convince them to produce the game as one of their developers, how much do you think him gaining a small stockhold is going to change? I am not saying it is impossible, I am saying that it will be an uphill battle and the stocks won't change much.

There are better ways for fans to go about saving a license than buying some random third-party's game on a sketchy promise that they'll somehow change another company's views if you give them your money.

I'm all for supporting oelvn's, especially in the vein of Uchikoshi's work. I hope they do well. However, this whole idea is batshit insane and pretty unprofessional to be honest. Most oelvn's are borderline unplayable, I reckon I could count on one hand the number to return a substantial profit. Seems like a bit of a publicity stunt, possibly an IP infringement and not the sort of behavior you'd expect from a serious vn dev. 

I mean good luck to them and all, I'd love to be proved wrong, yet I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I'd consider myself lucky if they release a quality game. To hold up hope of getting Zero Escape 3 funded as an incentive to buy a game, that realistically has a very slim chance of showing a profit, just seems kind of wrong to me. Beyond a sketchy promise to me. Do like the screenshot though!

So these 'fans' are making their own game that will sort of share the same feel as ZE, and are claiming they will somehow support the development of ZE3 by letting the developer buy stocks in the license holder with half of their release profits. Even if the sketchy claim of giving him money to buy stocks were true, how would it affect the chances of a ZE3 release? Unless this random project that is trying to ride coattail of a semi-popular game series somehow made a huge amount of money and the developers didn't get sued by the license holders for the stuff they are claiming, Uchikoshi buying stocks with whatever money they give him will do nothing. One stockholder buying a small portion of the company just to petition for a particular project isn't going to magically change the fact that everyone else involved has already decided that the project is a bad idea, and killed it because games weren't selling well.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole. If the namedroped staff members are proven to be a part of this, and you really want to see this particular game developed, then support it (As long as they don't come out with some ridiculous goal in crowdfunding). If you're just wanting to see another ZE release, then don't touch this crap. Maybe petition for a crowdfunding campaign from people who actually have a right to make such claims.

I agree it's sketchy as hell, but I'm optimistic, this VN is promising in its own regard but it definitely is a dick move to ride on the coattails of another franchise

I agree it does appear sketchy, but they must have gotten permission somehow, some 999/VLR composers are working on it for example. Sounds very exciting though, I'm optimistic.
On the other hand there have been other OELVNs like Exogenisis made by ZE fans too. (Still waiting for that one).

Brilliant as Shinji Hosoe is, I would imagine the only thing needed to get him 'working on it' is an agreement to buy x tracks at y price. I really don't think he has much input regarding the playable content of the many games he composes for and I personally don't take his 'involvement' as an endorsement. I'm 99.9% sure they don't have permission for anything.

Exogenisis is more promising, at least it appears much further into development and more confident to stand on its own feet, if only a fraction of the budget of a truly commercial VN. Honestly, the short tweet by Uchikoshi's expressing interest Exogenisis is more official 'endorsement' than anything I've see for Project Ace; and I'm assuming that interest is just based on a quick look at the kickstarter profile.

If anyone has problems reading the interview wall-of-text style on their Facebook page, there's a pastebin version which might be a bit better. My personal obsession with line breaks led me to create this version as well.

Choice quote: "Finally, I'd like to stress that I do not intend to trick people into thinking this will be a "fund Zero Escape 3" campaign, nor have I ever claimed otherwise."

If anyone has problems reading the interview wall-of-text style on their Facebook page, there's a pastebin version which might be a bit better. My personal obsession with line breaks led me to create this version as well.

Choice quote: "Finally, I'd like to stress that I do not intend to trick people into thinking this will be a "fund Zero Escape 3" campaign, nor have I ever claimed otherwise."

It's a small world, I created that pastebin :P

Wait, you're back to -rinpa? Holy shit.

Sure is a small world. Happy I went ahead with the linebreak mission as I managed to read the (highly interesting) interview that way.

Congrats, they retweeted you on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zakamutt/status/566594737055203328

(Edit: Congrats also for being the first person to explicitly state they've noticed my username change, you're likely the first to notice)

Also, may I ask how you came across that pastebin? Thanks ^^

Congrats, they retweeted you on Twitter: https://twitter.com/zakamutt/status/566594737055203328

(Edit: Congrats also for being the first person to explicitly state they've noticed my username change, you're likely the first to notice)

Also, may I ask how you came across that pastebin? Thanks ^^

I noticed the change too actually with your change of sig - Sora is very pleasant to look at :)