Fuwanovel Osu! Thread

Tief Blau

I've been wondering for a while, I notice a lot of people don't really move their mouse much when playing osu and I know I do, so much that sometimes I need to move my arm which causes me to fail sometimes due to friction on my desk (arm gets stuck and stuffs).

But turning my mouse speed up doesn't seem like a good idea so I t hought maybe I'd try turning up the DPI but it just turned too fast, or at least i couldn't get too used to it.

What settings do you recommend for mouse? Because my hand moves a lot in comparison to other people and I know you're only supposed to move your wrist to minimize failure.

Do you have high DPI and low acceleration in the settings or high acceleration and low DPI?

My mouse's DPI can go up to 2000 by the way and has 4 presets. I'm currently using the 2nd preset which I'm guessing is about 1000.

So for higher DPI you'd suggest lowering the mouse acceleration on windows?

I don't really want to put in game acceleration though.

If you keep the high acceleration it will feel like you're skating on ice.

I advise you to mess around with settings and find the best one for you.

Yeah, I got the idea to start upping my DPI from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWkOj9gkTs. The mouse barely moves from the center and it looks a lot easier to control the mouse. I've got mine set to 3250 with 1.0 and it feels fine to me. I still have a hard time spinning at that speed, but I'll adjust to it eventually.

Also, if you are looking to get a new mouse, I'd invest in Logitech's g500. Takes a bit to get use to, but it's pretty fantastic for precision.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

So for higher DPI you'd suggest lowering the mouse acceleration on windows?

I don't really want to put in game acceleration though.

never change the windows acceleration. keep it at 6/11

Yeah, I got the idea to start upping my DPI from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWkOj9gkTs. The mouse barely moves from the center and it looks a lot easier to control the mouse. I've got mine set to 3250 with 1.0 and it feels fine to me. I still have a hard time spinning at that speed, but I'll adjust to it eventually.

Also, if you are looking to get a new mouse, I'd invest in Logitech's g500. Takes a bit to get use to, but it's pretty fantastic for precision.

That said the only problem about changing the DPI/CPI is that your muscle memory gets screwed up as a result 

[honestly muscle memory is more important in osu... and well sc2 and etc but yeah]

that said my DPI/CPI is pretty high in comparison to most osu! pros (1800dpi, I did like 2400 or so before). HOWEVER this is because of how I am

actually high DPI is considered pretty bad for osu because it's not as accurate as you might think. even then regardless I still don't because it'll screw up my muscle memory for normal usage of the computer + playing SC2 and other games that the benefits of being more accurate in osu is actually worse for me.

But if you're talking about which one is better, sure it's which ever you're more used to (hence why I said that changing it in general isn't exactly a good idea.)

So after tweaking my settings I didn't really like anything in particular so i put everything back the way it was, 6/11 on windows and the 2nd preset on my mouse DPI and now for some reason it feels like it's too fast, it feels unatural unlike what it was before. What have I done~

I can't even play osu properly now. *sigh*

Never going to touch my mouse's settings again. You're right zhurai the muscle memory gets completely screwed up.

I guess I'll just continue playing the way I was used to.

So after tweaking my settings I didn't really like anything in particular so i put everything back the way it was, 6/11 on windows and the 2nd preset on my mouse DPI and now for some reason it feels like it's too fast, it feels unatural unlike what it was before. What have I done~

I can't even play osu properly now. *sigh*

Never going to touch my mouse's settings again. You're right zhurai the muscle memory gets completely screwed up.

I guess I'll just continue playing the way I was used to.

lol I know that cause I already did that several times in the past and it's screwed me up. [as well as changing mouse, changing playstyle...]*

rofl. so yeah.

also the new mouse doesn't use the same dpi's (there's only 3 options. I'm using 1800dpi as that's closest to the 2000 or so dpi that I used to use but I still actually feel the differences...)

(but it's either 450dpi, 1800dpi, or 3500dpi, the 1800dpi is closest to my resolution so I can cross the screen by moving 1 inch or so... etc)

* that said there may be people that can adapt easier but.../shrug

I've changed my mouse too, was on 4000DPI with 1.4x, now it's on the setting I posted above. Only took a week to get used to. I fiddle around with the in-game setting to find the right speed.

never change the windows acceleration. keep it at 6/11

I broke your rule.

kekekekeke

#Changeforthefuture!

I've changed my mouse too, was on 4000DPI with 1.4x, now it's on the setting I posted above. Only took a week to get used to. I fiddle around with the in-game setting to find the right speed.

I broke your rule.

kekekekeke

#Changeforthefuture!

your problem.

also it's not my rule rofl. it's just bad unless you like randomly having Windows fucking your mouse up

I'm afraid to mess with my settings since I'm doing pretty well right now as it is

Sometimes it's best to go with what you're use to. Generally, I prefer adjusting how I play a game. I do this for just about every game I play. I explore different gameplay methods, change up my technique, try doing new things, etc. I prefer doing it once I've gotten comfortable with a style since I tend to have a better idea on what I need to adjust and it just works for me. But that's just how I play games, it's not always the right thing to do (especially for Osu).

Also, I'm getting the hang of mapping now. The first throw-together I did for Scarlet was really sloppy in some ways. I'm aiming to make this map challenging, and it definitely feels like I can do a lot with this music's style, but I'm having the most difficult time getting my vision straight enough to execute the beat mechanics properly. I'll probably look around a few threads and see what I can do to improve.

I'm afraid to mess with my settings since I'm doing pretty well right now as it is

Don't. If you feel okay with it then stay like that.

I learned from my mistakes and I'm not going to tweak my settings unless I get a new mouse.

To me it felt natural at around 1000 DPI and 6/11 mouse acceleration (and 1.0x in game) and I've always stayed like that.

And as you can guess my hand moves quite a bit but it feels natural.

Oh shit. I didn't think windows accel would mess you up this bad. I changed that back to 6 and 3500 feels really natural to me. It almost feels like my mouse became an extension of my body! Thanks for the tip. :D

it's actually based on how the windows accel works

let's make some assumptions.

if we have a screen resolution, let's just say horizontal 1280.

for now let's use 6/11 in the windows settings WITHOUT the enhanced pointer precision enabled.

if we have a 450dpi mouse, this means it'll travel 450 of that if you move your mouse 1 inch (this is the case for whatever dpi/cpi you use... so if you want to move your mouse 1 inch to across the screen = 1280dpi, if you wanted to do it 1/2 an inch it would be 2560dpi, and say if you were to do 3500dpi HERE you would just have to move your hand 36/100 of an inch to cross the screen.)

now if we change the windows settings from the default 6/11, windows will put it's own stuff in

so at 6/11 windows doesn't do much (if your mouse is moving the cursor one dot/count/pixel to the left, then windows will move the mouse one dot/count/pixel to the left) (i.e. a 1:1 ratio)

so what happens if you move it up?

7/11: move cursor 1.5 pixels/mouse count

8/11: move cursor 2 pixels/mouse count

(and so on)

(down is like... 5/11: move cursor 0.75 pixels/mouse count... etc)

however you can't MOVE 1/2 a pixel, so basically... windows will then skip pixels and make it impossible for your cursor to land on a specific column.  (and computers can't show 1.5 pixels so it'll probably round to 1 or 2 and make it even more messed up.

That said if you keep it even (2/11, 4/11, 8/11, 10/11) it will reduce the impact of windows modifying the input.

also some useful images

6/11

vi2QcQt.png

9/11

3BYKMRl.png

11/11

fBETTMm.png

@_@ the further I go the harder to keep the S an appropriate size...

sure you can get used to it but it's not really that good~

don't if you're used to it.

or if you're switching from mouse to tablet.... trololol

Sometimes it's best to go with what you're use to. Generally, I prefer adjusting how I play a game. I do this for just about every game I play. I explore different gameplay methods, change up my technique, try doing new things, etc. I prefer doing it once I've gotten comfortable with a style since I tend to have a better idea on what I need to adjust and it just works for me. But that's just how I play games, it's not always the right thing to do (especially for Osu).

while it's true to shake things up in a strategic way for games (in terms of gameplay), the reason why it's bad however for Osu to change the mouse settings is because it's heavily based around muscle memory.

(actually same for SC2/BW but there are honestly better things to "optimize" than the gear/dpi.  for example making your build order more crisp/actually building units/whatever but obviously this isn't the topic for SC2)

Don't. If you feel okay with it then stay like that.

I learned from my mistakes and I'm not going to tweak my settings unless I get a new mouse.

To me it felt natural at around 1000 DPI and 6/11 mouse acceleration (and 1.0x in game) and I've always stayed like that.

And as you can guess my hand moves quite a bit but it feels natural.

yes don't change your settings honestly once you've gotten used to it... 

getting a new mouse (while I needed to) also has problems adjusting to a slightly different dpi/cpi and a different hand shape :D

(like I was doing 2400dpi iirc previously with steelseries sensei, but I'm doing 1800dpi as that's the closest with my current one)

[i've been saying awhile back in the thread not to change the settings anyways~ but maybe people gotta just experiment themselves :D]

Interesting tidbit on how windows accel works.

That's true, but muscle memory can be adjusted. It'd definitely put a delay on progression depending on how flexible your mind is, but I wouldn't say it'd hinder you entirely. For me, I think being set on my current style would put a damper on my performance threshold. I could be wrong, but I think certain styles will have a limited performance threshold that would keep you from doing well on certain songs (especially if you're aiming for Osu's hardest). Plus, I'm still not entirely adjusted to mouse and keyboard yet (or at least not as proficient as I was with clicking), so adding in a few extra tweaks won't put too much of a delay on my progression.

Man, I'm going to have to make some hard decisions when it comes to spacing on my hard beatmap for karma. I'm thinking about increasing distance snap by .1 when the direction of flow changes compared to the usual. Or like, on certain beats too. When it feels good, you know? I also use purposefully low spacing patterns for a certain musical pattern of 3 notes in the track. And arguably fairly hard jumps are in there as well... because fuck mapping it like a 77bpm lameshit.

If I keep this up I won't even be able to complete the insane without nofail. Maybe probably.

Funfact: I could actually plug my mouse into my keyboard. Maybe I should actually try that, might help with the cord issue... right now I'm having trouble doing even the easiest things. As in easy insanes, don't get the wrong idea.

I plug my mouse into my Keyboard