First time reading Fate Stay

Dark Ariel7

I think Heaven's Feel was better than Unlimited Blade Works. That Kotomine vs Shirou fight. My eyes. My ears. They felt orgasm that they weren't supposed to feel. They eyegasmed and eargasmed.

I simply loved the route. I loved every route, but Heaven's Feel won the bread for me. I mean, it lives up to its name. That feel at the end.

Just finished UBW. I managed to spoil myself by reading the description of Archer for the Fate hollow in VNDB. Way to ruin it for myself.

I liked it. I also like that they at least managed to make Rin good at the end. She got back to her normal personality instead of that insecure thing she had in the middle. Hate those bastards for what they did to Illya though. She got zero part in this route. Just sad back story. 

Apparently Lancers are just destined to be epic character betrayed by their own masters. Zero and fate both.

Just finished UBW. I managed to spoil myself by reading the description of Archer for the Fate hollow in VNDB. Way to ruin it for myself.

I liked it. I also like that they at least managed to make Rin good at the end. She got back to her normal personality instead of that insecure thing she had in the middle. Hate those bastards for what they did to Illya though. She got zero part in this route. Just sad back story. 

Apparently Lancers are just destined to be epic character betrayed by their own masters. Zero and fate both.

I totally agree with this. Lancer's run in the 5th Holy Grail War was just... sad.

I guess that's where he gets his meme as the guy who always dies and is more or less comedic relief.

Go read Heaven's Feel. It's great.

God dammit! I hate dark stuff but Im reading it anyways. I cant let Illya end like that! Plus I do want to know what the heck the extra content is.

It's worth it, just trust me.  Heaven's Feel is as close to an Illya route as you're going to get.  It's quite dark, but it's not so dark that it'll emotionally scar you for life.  If you can handle stuff like Law and Order: SVU you'll be fine.  Hell, I have genetic depression and it didn't make me curl up into the fetal position and start sobbing.  It's disturbing, but only because it's supposed to be.  Most VNs have some disturbing content if they have bad ends, anyway.

It's worth it, just trust me.  Heaven's Feel is as close to an Illya route as you're going to get.  It's quite dark, but it's not so dark that it'll emotionally scar you for life.  If you can handle stuff like Law and Order: SVU you'll be fine.  Hell, I have genetic depression and it didn't make me curl up into the fetal position and start sobbing.  It's disturbing, but only because it's supposed to be.  Most VNs have some disturbing content if they have bad ends, anyway.

I actually almost never hit a bad end. I have only hit 2 so far and 1 I saw coming but wanted to try anyways. The other was out of nowhere.

I actually almost never hit a bad end. I have only hit 2 so far and 1 I saw coming but wanted to try anyways. The other was out of nowhere.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost every single bad end in F/sn results in Shirou's death.  I found them amusing because I disliked his character, and a lot of them seemed to be random.  It was like a little game where I could have him die by doing stupid things  xD

I kinda like bad ends now, though.  They usually seem to add something to the story, at least the ones I've seen so far have.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that almost every single bad end in F/sn results in Shirou's death.  I found them amusing because I disliked his character, and a lot of them seemed to be random.  It was like a little game where I could have him die by doing stupid things  xD

I kinda like bad ends now, though.  They usually seem to add something to the story, at least the ones I've seen so far have.

The 2 I saw where from UBW and were actually not helpful to the story at all.

Bad ends in F/SN tend to not be seen coming.

For example, in the first battle against Berserker, how the heck should you know what to do?

Dodge? Run away? I have no idea.

And most especially bad end 13, if I remember it correctly.

It adds to the story such that by not forging a strong bond with your servant, Saber, she becomes lulled in by Kirei's words about the Grail, ultimately killing you in order to get the Grail. Well, she was tricked sooooo.

It mostly happens when you choose the wrong place to go, or the wrong move in a fight. Or if you simply didn't establish a good enough relationship with the characters. That's as far as the bad ends can get in being related to the story.

Bad ends in F/SN tend to not be seen coming.

For example, in the first battle against Berserker, how the heck should you know what to do?

Dodge? Run away? I have no idea.

And most especially bad end 13, if I remember it correctly.

It adds to the story such that by not forging a strong bond with your servant, Saber, she becomes lulled in by Kirei's words about the Grail, ultimately killing you in order to get the Grail. Well, she was tricked sooooo.

It mostly happens when you choose the wrong place to go, or the wrong move in a fight. Or if you simply didn't establish a good enough relationship with the characters. That's as far as the bad ends can get in being related to the story.

You are the main character. Running is almost never the right choice. But yeah I almost exclusively go by the principle of what I would do in that anime world. It works beautifully. 

Well there is one bad end that will make you change your mind about them being worthless plot-wise in HF, IMHO.

iirc it is also where Illya's route choice was supposed to be if her route wasn't axed.

Is it the one where she asks you to be her Servant? That would have made sense if it branched off into her route.

Is it the one where she asks you to be her Servant? That would have made sense if it branched off into her route.

No, it's the choice where you either chose to continue to uphold your ideals as an "Ally of Justice" and kill Sakura or you throw away your ideals for Sakura, in that choice there was supposed to be a 3rd choice that would lead you to be "Illya's hero". Actually the choice to axe Illiya's route wasn't only because she was a loli, the major factor for that decision was time and budget. F/SN was initially supposed to include these 4 route, however they figured they would have to delay the game for another half a year so they decided to not do that, instead they though to do 2 different games, "Fate/Stay Night" as was planned but only with 2 routes(Saber's and Rin's) and the second game would be called "Fate/Other Night" with Sakura's and Illya's route, they came about one problem with that decision, they didn't have the necessary budget for that. So their final decision was to include Sakura's route and axe Illya's individual route and put the elements that were going to her route and introduced them in HF, making HF kind of a 2 heroine route in the eyes of Type-moon. Supposedly this would be the only route that Illya wouldn't die if it made the game iirc. Illya was my favorite character right after Rin T.T the feels that Illya gave me.

No, it's the choice where you either chose to continue to uphold your ideals as an "Ally of Justice" and kill Sakura or you throw away your ideals for Sakura, in that choice there was supposed to be a 3rd choice that would lead you to be "Illya's hero". Actually the choice to axe Illiya's route wasn't only because she was a loli, the major factor for that decision was time and budget. F/SN was initially supposed to include these 4 route, however they figured they would have to delay the game for another half a year so they decided to not do that, instead they though to do 2 different games, "Fate/Stay Night" as was planned but only with 2 routes(Saber's and Rin's) and the second game would be called "Fate/Other Night" with Sakura's and Illya's route, they came about one problem with that decision, they didn't have the necessary budget for that. So their final decision was to include Sakura's route and axe Illya's individual route and put the elements that were going to her route and introduced them in HF, making HF kind of a 2 heroine route in the eyes of Type-moon. Supposedly this would be the only route that Illya wouldn't die if it made the game iirc. Illya was my favorite character right after Rin T.T the feels that Illya gave me.

It's still like some other bad ends though, where Shirou is once again directly affected by the choice you make, as well as the timeline of the game. It all depends on the choice, and the choice can directly affect the possible outcome of the Holy Grail War. We can assume the winners in some cases, though what the winners will do is kind of vague. In that bad end in HF however, it's Shirou that decides, not other people. That's also one of the most obvious branching of choices. I do not think you should kill the heroine of a route lol.

It's still like some other bad ends though, where Shirou is once again directly affected by the choice you make, as well as the timeline of the game. It all depends on the choice, and the choice can directly affect the possible outcome of the Holy Grail War. We can assume the winners in some cases, though what the winners will do is kind of vague. In that bad end in HF however, it's Shirou that decides, not other people. That's also one of the most obvious branching of choices. I do not think you should kill the heroine of a route lol.

While being the most obvious choice since you usually don't kill the heroine of a route, it was one of those that had the most impact in terms of bad ends.

While being the most obvious choice since you usually don't kill the heroine of a route, it was one of those that had the most impact in terms of bad ends.

It does have a lot of impact, seeing that the actual right choice here is saving Sakura. This completely goes against the ideals of Shirou Emiya, showing to us how much of a character he has developed into after the events of the different routes, assuming that he retains his persona from the routes. You can actually see a bit of resemblance between the three Shirous in the routes. This gives an idea that Nasu is actually trying to tell us that Shirou's ideal of saving everybody no matter the cost is wrong. It is just as twisted as Kiritsugu's ideals, which is to save the most number of people 

possible, no matter the cost. That's why I liked HF very much.

It does have a lot of impact, seeing that the actual right choice here is saving Sakura. This completely goes against the ideals of Shirou Emiya, showing to us how much of a character he has developed into after the events of the different routes, assuming that he retains his persona from the routes. You can actually see a bit of resemblance between the three Shirous in the routes. This gives an idea that Nasu is actually trying to tell us that Shirou's ideal of saving everybody no matter the cost is wrong. It is just as twisted as Kiritsugu's ideals, which is to save the most number of people 

possible, no matter the cost. That's why I liked HF very much.

Also this is the route where Shirou has the most chance of becoming the Heroic Spirit Emiya(aka Archer) since it is the route where he can confirm to uphold his ideals if he chooses to do so, even Nasu referred to that in a fan Q&A. Although it is still possible for that to happen in Fate and UBW, it's just that in terms of events HF gives that extra push towards the existance of Archer, this also alludes to the way that Nasu approaches his works, through the multiverse theory, meaning that every rote and event is possible and can be canonically true if Nasu wishes it to be so. Type-moon's philosophy and it's inherent questions give so much life to their works, it's awesome.

What the hell would happen if Illya won the Holy Grail War?  Would she just sit around doing nothing, since she's the vessel?  Or would someone else have to be the vessel?  I have no idea...

If it was according to the wishes of the Einzberns, she would cease to function as a human being since she would be the vessel. Now speculating as to what would happen in her route and Shirou won the Holy Grail War for Illya I suspect that Shirou would use the power of the Holy Grail to extend the life of Illya since it is said in the game that she has a short amount of life left since she is an homunculus and used a lot of her life to control and use Berserker before the appearance of the holy Grail, I suspect however that there wouldn't be any direct vessel like what happened in Fate and UBW. This is all my personal speculation.