Recommendations

Clephas

*Clephas fails to mention that he finds games that lack violence, philosophy (not pseudo-philo like you see in Steins;Gate), and ero to be boring*

(I don't feel particularly welcome on this specific thread, but I'll put my two cents in anyway). While I can live without violence and ero, I share your craving for metaphor and philosophy. Now I haven't played Steins;Gate, but I have watched the anime adaption. And I have to disagree with your accusation that it's fake. I at least interpreted

Okabe's quest through time to save Mayuri, as a quest in time to save kindness itself on the planet. Mayuri seems to represent all that is good and kind in the world. Hence the reason why when she dies the future results in a dystopia. The idea of a dystopia represents a world that is completely unkind, and unfair to the majority of people. Which is why its important to save Mayuri (goodness) to fix this terrible fate.

That said I don't think Steins;Gate is at the same level as masterpieces such as Monster and Berserk, but I do put it on the same place that I view Death Note and Code Geass.

Mmm... personally I don't have much of a taste for console VNs. Most of them are rehashes of PC versions and those that aren't are usually anime-related (meaning the story is already well-known or it is a side-story tacked on like a fandisc). Those that are made exclusively for a console don't tend to be all that interesting (though part of that is because I hate anything made by Nitroplus after Muramasa except Phenomeno). Also, I'm essentially lazy, so I prefer to have Jparser at hand to give me obscure word and kanji meanings rather than taking the effort to bring them out of the depths of my skull.

Well, console VNs are important to me. So I want them to become enjoyable to read, like PC VNs. Right now, I'm also lazy, so I keep choosing to play PC VNs over console VNs...because of Jparser.

-I want to play the enhanced versions...for example, Lamune for PS2 has Hiromi and Misora as playable characters, plus a bunch of new event CGs. To Heart 2 DX Plus, etc. Sometimes the enhanced versions get ported back to PC, but, sometimes they don't.

-I want to quit ero eventually...console VNs will help me do this. I can play Nanatsu-iro Drops Pure or Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka Parallel.

-Other non-PC titles I have like Iinazuke, Kimikiss, Aria the Origination, etc.

YMMV, ymmv.

Pretty much the only enhanced version I want is the Ayakashibito enhanced version... it had an extra route with an unexpected character (like seriously, that one is a heroine?!!) that splits off from one of the main routes. Unfortunately, I've yet to obtain it (it's hard to find) and I have no intention of trying to emulate it...

Edit: Also, it is much more frustrating to try and get someone to hack a console game when you are thinking of doing a translation project. As it is, most decent games have reverse-engineering tools hanging around, so if I ever get in the mood I can just begin work. However, with console games, that isn't the case...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, I am new the the world of VN'ing. I've currently got FSN(finished), Umineko's Question arcs(finished, and waiting for Chiru), Tsukihme(Arcueid route finished), and currently playing through Little Busters!

I have prettym uch nothing to do over the summer, so if someobdy could rcommend some VN's to fill in the time, I'd really appreciiate it.

Hello all, I am new the the world of VN'ing. I've currently got FSN(finished), Umineko's Question arcs(finished, and waiting for Chiru), Tsukihme(Arcueid route finished), and currently playing through Little Busters!

I have prettym uch nothing to do over the summer, so if someobdy could rcommend some VN's to fill in the time, I'd really appreciiate it.

Play through Tsukihime, realize it's awesome, then play Kagetsu Tohya, and cry while waiting for Mahouyo to be translated.

Fanboyism aside, G-senjou no Maou and Kara no Shoujo are both really great VNs that I would blindly recommend to anyone.

Yep, I've actually been asking for recs at the forums I frequent, and KnS was probably got the most recs on my to-read list. I opened it up just to see it working, then that music started playing on the menu....Jesus, it was like making love to my ears. Probably be one of the first I complete this summer. G-Senjou was laos another one

And I know your pain bro about Mahou. I actually got Tsukihime to pass the time until Umineko Chiru's ps3 patch comes out, but ended up putting it off for LB......Type-Moon is like my god man, but I promised I'd start another VN once I finished up Arcueid's route, then go back.

I wouldn't recommend KnS due to the absolute need for a walkthrough to not get over 9000 bad ends, seriously I deviated like 1 choice or two from a walkthrough and got the first bad end, over and over... And skipping is painful as they are intelligent enough to not stop voices from playing, raping your ears...

I would appreciate recommendations for darker -or at least more serious- VNs , mostly non-translated stuff because I have very little knowledge about the non-English scene (but naturally, I won't reject English recommendations, either). I guess it doesn't even *have* to be super dark, just something that's not your run-of-the-mill moe-filled high school VN.

On a somewhat relevant note did anyone here play Gekkou no Carnevale? Would be nice to hear someone's thoughts on it, I'm still very much on the fence about whether I want to sink time into it.