Learn Japanese Together: Super Challenge 2013

Tay

Good luck, but keep in mind that you need to need to study consistently, taking breaks begets taking breaks, and quitting means you've wasted all the time you've spent. Hope I'm not being too negative ^^

There's a 5th edition download on one of the first posts, unless the download is down. Also you only really need the first book and the free supplement PDF, together they have all the joyo kanji which are by far the most important to learn.

I found this post by Ryoji: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/621-learn-japanese-together-super-challenge-2013/?p=4872

I'm downloading it now

Though it only has volumes 1 and 2 but as i can see the 3rd one is not really a requirement.

Regarding this free supplement PDF, would you be as kind as to link me to a post here with it? I don't recall seeing it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvty2rml1g9upld/RK1-Supplement.pdf

Really hope this works...

It has the kanji that were added to the joyo kanji after the first book was written.

Thank you, the link worked and i just downloaded it.

I'll start with the studying when my tablet returns from the store after i had issues with it.

I'll use the app there, i prefer to use the app rather than sit on the computer all day reading kanji.

Time to be productive  ^_^

If i'll quit halfway or not i don't know but you're not being pessimistic, being realistic is an asset in my opinion, i just need the will to get over it.

Some people say it's better to start off memorizing Hiragana and Katakana rather than starting with Kanji.

Honestly i don't even know the difference between the 3 but i'd like to know some more info about it.

Just a word of warning, I tried using Anki on my tablet twice, and both times it crashed and in doing so saved my progress to the server incorrectly. I later on used my tablet for reading the PDFs and used the comment function to practice writing each kanji, and then switched to my netbook for Anki. Bit of a hassle, but everything worked.

It is certainly easier to remember hiragana and katakana than it is to remember kanji, because there's only around 50 of of each, unlike kanji of which there are thousands. Each hiragana simply stands for a sound, like "a", "na" or "ro". You can technically write any word in the Japanese language using only hiragana, but you end up with very long and messy words. Katakana are exactly the same as hiragana, only they look different and are mostly used in loan words. Finally kanji are the characters that Japanese got from Chinese, and each one has at least one meaning, as well as multiple readings.

I first learned hiragana and katakana, but while I was studying kanji I forgot most of them because I didn't practice, so I've had to re-learn them.

The app is working fine for me ( I'm going to turn in my tablet to the store tomorrow but i still tried the app)

I tried some cards and nothing wrong happened.

It certainily sounds easier to remember Katakana and Hiragana. So the average Visual Novel uses kanji i'm assuming? 

Thank you for the explanation though, i learned something new. I guess it's better to start off with kanji just because it's the hardest part and it seems to be the most useful. With what frequency is each type of writing used?

It wasn't that it didn't work at all, but it would crash halfway through.

Pretty much everything besides grade-school level text uses kanji, yes. Both Kanji and hiragana are used in 99% of all sentences, and katakana appear a bit less frequently. The joyo kanji are, from what I remember, a goverment mandated list of kanji that you need to know to have basic literacy. With just those kanji you can supposedly read most conventional texts.

You'll need to know the kana to make much sense of japanese, since they are used after kanji to specify what meaning you're using, verb forms etc. They are used for lots more, but whatevs... Meager example: the kanji 好 ("fond of", "good", stuff like that) and the hiragana き (ki) make 好き, suki; I imagine you've heard that one a few times :P. in this case, き is functioning as as okurigana. My reference for this stuff is this guide, by the way.

That's odd.. So far it's good for me, we'll see how it behaves later on.

Well all my questions have been cleared out. I just wanted to know everything about what i'm learning, i think it's an important part of the process. Thank you for sticking with me and explaining all that. All that's left now is to start studying, let's work hard~

Im enjoying myself so far..Going onto my Third day and about to learn my next set of Kanji..I for somereason am doing it slowly with 15/day but I think once I get the hang of it it will increase..
In terms of remembering Kanji..Thats pretty simple ( So far)...I will have to wait till I learn a lot more.

The app is working fine for me ( I'm going to turn in my tablet to the store tomorrow but i still tried the app)

I tried some cards and nothing wrong happened.

It certainily sounds easier to remember Katakana and Hiragana. So the average Visual Novel uses kanji i'm assuming? 

Thank you for the explanation though, i learned something new. I guess it's better to start off with kanji just because it's the hardest part and it seems to be the most useful. With what frequency is each type of writing used?

I've been annoyed at anki sometimes, but it has always worked in the end for me.

Showing you an example might be best for how the sentences kanji and kanas.

【TV Reporter】

『現在ご覧頂いている映像は、本日午後9時45分頃、

在日カザフスタン共和国総領事館警備部より提供された監視カメラに記

録されていた映像をノーカットで放送しております』

Informational senteces has usually alot of kanji. This quote got, katakana, hiragana, kanji and numerals. This is also a formal offical way of talking. Because the one talking is a tv reporter.

A more normal sentence would be like this: (depends on what you prefer to read ofc)

(Blue haired Girl)

「曲がりなりにも9029の名をくれてやったんだ、

疲れたとかぬかして座り込んでんじゃねーよバーカ」【麻子】

They might use the kanas for a word or kanji. Sometimes you will wish they had used kanji, because the kana word could mean a dozen other stuff. This sentence got numbers. But they might write them in japanese number system as well. Depends. Usually it's luckely international numerals.

I wouldn't worry about learning the kanas, you will see them 1000's of times anyway when you read source material. I did the same as Flutterz. Learned the kanas, then forgot them. Had to relearn them again, hardly took much effort tho. Do what you think is best.

頑張って!

Im enjoying myself so far..Going onto my Third day and about to learn my next set of Kanji..I for somereason am doing it slowly with 15/day but I think once I get the hang of it it will increase..

In terms of remembering Kanji..Thats pretty simple ( So far)...I will have to wait till I learn a lot more.

I did an average of 17 kanji. It all depends on how much time you want to spend each day. 15 is great imo. Most important is to make Anki a habit, then it becomes alot easier to getting it done. And yes, you will no doubt get faster at learning them.

Good luck! :D

Yeah, for people interested in starting out, read the whole first page of this topic.  The main idea is that you want to match up your books edition with your Anki decks.  I personally am using the 6th edition books and a 6th edition RTK shared anki deck.  There are LOTS of 5th edition downloads/shared anki decks, though, so just make sure your book edition and deck match up.  I HIGHLY recommend using the kanji.koohi site when you start out (to get story ideas, etc.).

Anki is incredibly powerful.  Take some time and learn how to use it.  I'm happy to answer any questions you have -- if you're really lost, or need lots of help, I'd be willing to Skype with you about it (once I set up my new skype account).

I'm still learning, but I've been doing this for a LONG time now and have learned a lot of lessons along the way.  Happy to help, just speak up!

I got a surge of motivation recently so I'm back to learning I guess.

I realized I had 2x20 min to waste every day in transports and could use that time to learn kanjis. I can do 100 kanjis in about 2 weeks this way, which is way enough for me, so I'll settle with this. 

I'm also re-reading Tae Kim's guide and trying to watch anime in raw. 

Way to go, everybody.  If life gets busy, scale back, but don't stop!  I've scaled waaaay back at different parts of the year, but I haven't stopped and now I'm almost done.  I may not hit all my goals in 2013, but I sure as heck will in 2014!

Keep at it!  Keep posting and sharing how you're doing and if you need a pick me up or encouragement!