The Central Pokemon Topic

Stray Cat

• 2 weeks later...

First pokemon encountered on route 102: Female Ralts. The gods of rule34.net are with me.

So far I'm liking it. I catch myself wandering through every building for no reason a lot.

yea i ended up going in every building, it at least tripled the time it took to beat the game. So has anyone heard anything about a way to transfer pokemon from X and Y or is pokebank the only way?

you have to give him the dawn stone you get from wally on victory road.

Nah too late, was already evolved by then. Plus I named it after a trap immediately after catching Ralts, the plan was set in motion and was not going to be stopped by Wally's anti-trap propaganda. Plus since Gardevoir's a fairy type it was useful for wrecking any and all dragons.

I used the first 6 Pokemon I caught for the entire game (I came across much better ones later, but the OP EXP Share made this handicap a non-issue). The fact a male Ralts happened to be one of the first 6 Pokemon I caught was fate, and as an equal opportunity trainer I made it my long term partner. Was my 2nd most useful member after Sceptile too. They couldn't ignore Gardevoir's girth. Gardevoir really put the D in Dragon pokemon. It provided useful coverage.

A sudden Level 15 wingull almost royally kicked my ass yesterday, I was so sursprised.

This reminds me of when I got crushed by a Floatzel. It was in Gen 5 Battle Subway so the circumstances are a little different, but the basic idea was the same. I was on a 90+ win streak in super singles, defeating all sorts of legendarily and other great Pokemon in the process. Then my entire team gets one-shotted by a Floatzel lead. I now hate Floatzels. I mean just look at this cocky bastard, he knows what he did.

VcjTv5u.png

Reporting in:

1. - Caught a Slakoth. I thought training it can't be that annoying. Boy was I wrong...
  2. - Imported an Eevee. Because I need them, like a drunkard needs booze. 
  3. - Grinded five soothing sacks and max affection for my eevee. I love Eevees so much, three hours well spend.
  4. - Missed the optional rival fight again, just like ten years ago. Every. Fucking. Time.
  5. - The granite cave used to be bigger, in my memory. Did I miss an entrance?
  6. - My imported Eevee evolved into Sylveon and I decided to keep it that way, because I never had one.
  7. - I totally didn't fall for that idol. Ridiculous!  
  8. - Sylveon curbstomped the cuteness contest without issue.
  9. - Slakoth, the lazy dipshit finally evolved into vigoroth. Now the good times of spamming Slash can begin.
  10. - ... the Electro-gym-city is a mall now? I'm getting old. 

I was on a 90+ win streak in super singles, defeating all sorts of legendarily and other great Pokemon in the process. Then my entire team gets one-shotted by a Floatzel lead. I now hate Floatzels. I mean just look at this cocky bastard, he knows what he did.

VcjTv5u.png

Terrorism, bad luck or both? What happend, Aquajet crits? 

• 5 weeks later...

Got a 3DS XL and Pokémon Y for Christmas  :3  Already got a Shiny Crobat (caught it myself as a Shiny Zubat) and a Shiny Ditto that some crazy person traded for one of the many Vivillions I've been dumping into trades and Wonder Trades.

I've also been trading like crazy for Japanese starters in the hopes that I'll get a Shiny starter from the Masuda method, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.  Starters are great for trading, though.

If someone would shoot me a friend code I'd love them forever; I want a Gengar for my team, but my only friend playing Pokémon right now is borrowing it, and he's not going to buy it himself, and I don't trust people I only know from Pokémon after the large amounts of Bidoofs and Magikarps I've received from Wonder Trades  >.>

EDIT:  Herp derp, my friend code is 0104-2168-4904.  Please tell me if you're adding me, getting random friend requests kinda freaks me out.

Got a 3DS XL and Pokémon Y for Christmas  :3  Already got a Shiny Crobat (caught it myself as a Shiny Zubat) and a Shiny Ditto that some crazy person traded for one of the many Vivillions I've been dumping into trades and Wonder Trades.

I've also been trading like crazy for Japanese starters in the hopes that I'll get a Shiny starter from the Masuda method, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.  Starters are great for trading, though.

If someone would shoot me a friend code I'd love them forever; I want a Gengar for my team, but my only friend playing Pokémon right now is borrowing it, and he's not going to buy it himself, and I don't trust people I only know from Pokémon after the large amounts of Bidoofs and Magikarps I've received from Wonder Trades  >.>

EDIT:  Herp derp, my friend code is 0104-2168-4904.  Please tell me if you're adding me, getting random friend requests kinda freaks me out.

Check the IV's, the ditto is likely a breeding reject. 

I can't actually check that, I haven't beaten the Elite Four yet  :/  Still, though, I just wanted a regular non-IV bred Ditto, so that was an extremely pleasant surprise, and it also happened to be from the German version of the game, so Masuda method farming is a go.

Anyone here play Showdown? I mainly just play random battles. It keeps things fresh, and I prefer thinking on my feet rather than meticulously planning a team beforehand. Not to mention the lack of Battle Frontier in ORAS means I can't play random battles there.  :saber:

Enjoyed them in Soul Silver.

Terrorism, bad luck or both? What happend, Aquajet crits? 

Sorry didn't see this. It's been ages, but I've managed to find the report I gave on Serebii (haven't logged in for years).

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?526452-Battle-Subway-Discussion-amp-Ranking-Hall-Now-With-Singles-Team-Building-Guide!&p=13602762#post13602762

Man, I'm getting really irritated trying to get the exact Dittos that I want from a Friend Safari.  Is it better to just breed male and female version of the Pokemon I want from Friend Safaris (or get them through trades), or just use Dittos?  I want to start messing around with wifi battles and the Battle Maison, so I pretty much need 5-6 IV Pokemon, at least from what I've heard, anyway.

Man, I'm getting really irritated trying to get the exact Dittos that I want from a Friend Safari.  Is it better to just breed male and female version of the Pokemon I want from Friend Safaris (or get them through trades), or just use Dittos?  I want to start messing around with wifi battles and the Battle Maison, so I pretty much need 5-6 IV Pokemon, at least from what I've heard, anyway.

I've bred several dozen 5IV and thanks to some really awesome RNG, a few 6IVs, and by far the easiest way to do it is to put in the time to breed IVs on to a few multi-purpose pokemon, and then breed with a female of the pokemon you actually want (the female determines what pokemon will come out of the egg, with specific exceptions - Ditto, male-only pokemon).

The likelihood of getting 3+ IV Dittos from Friend Safari is very small.  They'll have two, that's guaranteed, and you can set up things from there.  If you can get a handful of Ditto that have a wide variety of stats (my favorites being HP/Speed, Def/Speed, and SpDef/Speed), that's a good starting point otherwise.

So, since this was the last Pokemon I did, I'll just walk through what I did for it:  Gyarados.

So you can capture Gyarados in a Water Friend Safari, which means that it will have at least two IVs.  I want my Gyarados to have an Adamant nature, and at least 5IVs (HP/Atk/Def/SpDef/Speed - I play a physical attacker Gyarados with Waterfall).  Let's say, hypothetically, the Gyarados I caught had perfect HP and Atk IVs (yay), is a male, and has an Adamant nature (these are things you can actually get from Friend Safari in what would be an acceptable amount of time)

Here's the process from there:

1. Pair HP/ATK Gyarados with Def/Spd Ditto.  Give Gyarados an Everstone (to pass Adamant nature - Everstone guarantees that the holder's Nature is passed).  Give Ditto Destiny Knot (passes 5 IVs instead of 3.  I have 4 that I want transferred, so this is a good start).
  2. Hatch Magikarps until I get one that has at least 3IVs.
  3. Reevaluate what I have.  Let's say, hypothetically, I get a female Magikarp that had HP/ATK/Speed.  Solid.
  4. Take out the Pokemon I was breeding.  Give the female Magikarp an Everstone (because it will have Adamant nature), and put a new Ditto in.  New Ditto has perfect Def/SpD.  Give it the Destiny Knot.
  5. If I get a 4IV, replace either Pokemon using the same strategy.  I want to have as many perfect IVs I can have to transfer.  If, hypothetically, I got a male Magikarp with HP/Atk/Def/SpD, I would replace the Ditto.  I have all five of the IVs I need to transfer at this point.
  6. If I ever get a Female with all 5IVs, I tend to use that one in my party.  But I also want to have a Male with 5IVs for ease of breeding later.

Now, people look at me and ask "why the hell do I need a 5IV MALE?"  Remember that what species the Pokemon is is determined by the Female.  This means that two different species of Pokemon can breed.  Which Pokemon can breed with which Pokemon is determined by what Egg Group they belong to.  Gyarados belongs to "Water 2" and "Dragon."

Pokemon that also belong to Water 2:

Goldeen
Seaking
Chinchou
Lanturn
Qwilfish
Carvanha
Sharpedo
Barboach
Whiscash
Luvdisc
Finneon
Lumineon
Basculin
Magikarp
Gyarados
Remoraid
Octillery
Wailmer
Wailord
Relicanth
Alomomola
Inkay
Malamar

And Pokemon that belong to Dragon:

Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Deino
Zweilous
Hydreigon
Goomy
Sliggoo
Goodra
Charmander
Charmeleon
Charizard
Ekans
Arbok
Horsea
Seadra
Magikarp
Gyarados
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite
Kingdra
Treecko
Grovyle
Sceptile
Swablu
Altaria
Seviper
Feebas
Milotic
Gible
Gabite
Garchomp
Scraggy
Scrafty
Axew
Fraxure
Haxorus
Druddigon
Skrelp
Dragalge
Helioptile
Heliolisk
Tyrunt
Tyrantrum

And a wide variety of the Pokemon on these lists belong to other Egg Groups as well.

So I have my Gyarados, and I decide "I want a Sceptile on my team."  Well, you already have a 5IV to start with.  All you need is a female Pokemon from that evolutionary line, and if it has a few IVs as well, well...that's a good start.  Rinse and repeat.  And from that Sceptile, I could, say, breed an Abomasnow, Lapras, Rhyperior, Swampert, Venusaur, Kangaskhan...And from that I could breed pretty much to anything.  It's a domino effect.

If you want to breed for moves, that's a different ballgame.  If either parent has a move that can be learned by the baby, it can be passed down.  There are some Moves that are amazing that can only be gained via this method (for example:  Venusaur cannot get Giga Drain except from another Pokemon, and Dragonite with Extremespeed).

Just remember:
  • Everstone passes Nature
  • Destiny Knot passes 5IVs
  • The female Pokemon determines the species (with exceptions - Ditto, male-only)
  • If you want to speed up breeding later, keep 5+IV males, and use females on your team.
  • Egg Groups.

Good luck!

Thanks a bunch!  I knew some of this stuff already, but having it explained in detail helps a ton.  Serebii and Bulbapedia can only be so helpful, and with me and my weird way of learning things, it helps to have it all explained like this.  Again, thanks!

Also, thanks to Stray Cat I got a Contrary Serperior with Leaf Storm, Hold Back, Wring Out, and Giga Drain.  I'll put it with my Shiny Contrary Serperior that I got from a Wonder Trade on Wonder Trade Wednesday  :P  Seriously, though, thanks, I doubt I would have noticed that if you hadn't made a post here about it.

Also, thanks to Stray Cat I got a Contrary Serperior with Leaf Storm, Hold Back, Wring Out, and Giga Drain.  I'll put it with my Shiny Contrary Serperior that I got from a Wonder Trade on Wonder Trade Wednesday  :P  Seriously, though, thanks, I doubt I would have noticed that if you hadn't made a post here about it.