Visual Novel's Similar To Katawa Shoujo and Grisaia no Kajitsu?

nohgamer

As the topic title says, I'm looking for a visual novel similar to Katawa Shoujo and Grisaia no Kajitsu. All i'm really looking for is a visual novel where a guy enters a new school and has to choose between multiple girls. Simply a Romance/Slice of Life novel. Also, I prefer it has an eroge scene or two in it because I myself feel the characters are more closely bonded after an event like that, but as long as it's a good novel it's fine if it doesn't have one. It needs to be fully translated into English as I can't read Japanese (sadly). Lastly, I don't want it to be an extremely long read, somewhere in the range of 15-30 hours would be nice. Any recommendations would be extremely appreciated! (This is my first post, so sorry if I put it in the wrong place or just did something wrong. I read the "Recommendations - Read Before Asking" thread already so I think i'm good, I just wanted to give a heads up.)

Here's a few that you might enjoy: Sharin no Kuni, Cross Channel, G-Senjou no Maou, Kira Kira and Yume Miru Kusuri. They mostly fit although only Sharin no Kuni has you actually going to a new school and like Grisaia no Kajitsu, they aren't purely Slice of Life. You should also try Clannad, Little Busters, Rewrite, and Symphonic Rain, even though they don't have H-scenes they are still amazing VNs.

Hm... "...a visual novel where a guy enters a new school and has to choose between multiple girls". Darn it... I can't really think of anything that fits this category, except every visual novel ever made...  :unsure: 

Nah, just kidding; there are other kinds of VNs too .  ^_^

All jokes aside, Key's VNs you probably suit you. Personally I believe Little busters and Clannad is something you might enjoy. Hoshizora no Memoria could also be worth having a look at, if you can take it's "loli"-esk nature. Yeah, these are all extremely long, but you don't actually need to finish them to get a decent ending. They work a bit like Katawa Shoujo in that you can stop playing after finishing any one single route and feel like you got a mostly satisfying conclusion. In all of these you would miss out on the unlockable final route if you read like that though, so keep that in mind.

Sharin no Kuni and G senjou no Maou would be pretty good choice too, but they incorporate other elements them just pure slice-of-life romance.

Oh, and welcome to Fuwanovel, a.k.a. best visual novel related forum on the internet!  :D

I came to recommend you Clannad and other key stuff [they're too big, tho, but very enjoyable] and G-senjou no Maou. This last also have mistery and "serious story", but also four awesome heroins with a good story for each. And I particulary liked the h-scenes from that.

I recommend anything Key (Especially Rewrite/Little busters!) and G senjou no Maou. Key because it just fits your criteria pretty well and G senjou because you liked Grisaia. Sharin no Kuni might also be worth a look at.

I recommend anything Key (Especially Rewrite/Little busters!) and G senjou no Maou. Key because it just fits your criteria pretty well and G senjou because you liked Grisaia. Sharin no Kuni might also be worth a look at.

I came to recommend you Clannad and other key stuff [they're too big, tho, but very enjoyable] and G-senjou no Maou. This last also have mistery and "serious story", but also four awesome heroins with a good story for each. And I particulary liked the h-scenes from that.

Hm... "...a visual novel where a guy enters a new school and has to choose between multiple girls". Darn it... I can't really think of anything that fits this category, except every visual novel ever made...  :unsure: 

Nah, just kidding; there are other kinds of VNs too .  ^_^

All jokes aside, Key's VNs you probably suit you. 

Apparently Key VN's are the best around!  :P. But really, I checked into most of Key's vns and realized I already watched the anime adaptations for those that had them. Is it worth reading through Clannad and those after already watching the anime? And by the way, sorry for my ignorance when it comes to Visual Novels, I assumed most of them would be "Guy comes to a school and chooses a girl" but I knew there were romance novels with one set path where you don't choose which girl you want to be with, so I thought I should be specific! Guess it wasn't really needed though. Thanks for all the reccs so far guys! 

Apparently Key VN's are the best around!  :P. But really, I checked into most of Key's vns and realized I already watched the anime adaptations for those that had them. Is it worth reading through Clannad and those after already watching the anime? And by the way, sorry for my ignorance when it comes to Visual Novels, I assumed most of them would be "Guy comes to a school and chooses a girl" but I knew there were romance novels with one set path where you don't choose which girl you want to be with, so I thought I should be specific! Guess it wasn't really needed though. Thanks for all the reccs so far guys! 

In my opinion it's still very much worth it to read the VN after watching the anime, in fact the Little Busters anime was easily the weakest so that might be a good place to start. And Rewrite doesn't have an anime adaptationyet. And yeah, most VNs have several routes.

I think it would be worth it because of the reasons flutterz has stated but there are a few routes they haven't adapted in Clannad and the Little Busters Anime was pretty bad for an adaptation. Many things are left out in the adaptations that are amusing to go through in the VNs.

Well..... I played the Clannad VN after having seen the anime and I still found it mostly enjoyable. The anime left out quite a bit of details from the VN, so I'm quite sure it would still be worth your time.

As for Little Busters, I haven't seen the anime but is has a reputation of being a rather crappy in comparison to the original VN, so I still recommend that you have a look at it.

Oh, and just for the record - I wasn't trying to make fun of the fact that you might not know a lot about VNs yet. I mean, we were all newcomers at some point. I was making fun of the fact that the VN developers in Japan seem physically incapable writing the stories without a high School setting.  ;)

Oh, and just for the record - I wasn't trying to make fun of the fact that you might not know a lot about VNs yet. I mean, we were all newcomers at some point. I was making fun of the fact that the VN developers in Japan seem physically incapable writing the stories without a high School setting.  ;)

Oh, alright. Guess you do have a point about that!  ^_^

In my opinion it's still very much worth it to read the VN after watching the anime, in fact the Little Busters anime was easily the weakest so that might be a good place to start. And Rewrite doesn't have an anime adaptationyet. And yeah, most VNs have several routes.

I really didn't like the Little Busters anime but i'll check out the VN! 

As for Little Busters, I haven't seen the anime but is has a reputation of being a rather crappy in comparison to the original VN, so I still recommend that you have a look at it.

The first season was indeed crappy. But the second one, the refrain is beautiful IMO, almost as heart-breaking as the VN.

The only game of the ones mentioned that exactly fit your criteria is Hoshizora no Memoria - Wish Upon a Shooting Star, and perhaps kono oozora ni tsubasa o hirogete. 

There is also Koiken Otome but it isn't fully translated yet. 

They all have protagonists moving in to a new school, although in both cases they are moving back to a hometown after being away for a long time. They are both romance/slice of life, and have the "choosing between girls" kind of thing, as well as eroge scenes. 

In terms of length, Hoshizora no Memoria is relatively in the range you desire, maybe going over a little bit, but 1-2 routes is easily in that range. Kono oozora is... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. 

Did I mention it was long? The translation out for it is pretty poor as well unfortunately. 

It's probably well known by now that I hate Key games so I won't recommend any of them :P. They have the romance/slice of life element you are looking for, but they generally lack H-scenes as well as the fact they are all LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. Except for planetarian. 

It would also be a shame to not mention Tsukihime, but it has old graphics and isn't exactly what you're looking for at the moment. (Has much more serious vibes) 

• 1 month later...

Almost every single visual novel out on the market nowadays will be similiar to these. It's because 95% of current vn's contain school life or school-based settings and these usually make up from 40 to 60% of the actual storyline. A lot of these get translated as well. The rest depends on your tastes - those settings are often treated as a base, but it does not mean the story might revolve only around school life - you might get fantasy, sci-fi, drama and denpa elements mixed in.

So basically, there's a lot to chose from - Kanon, Clannad, Little Busters, Rewrite, Sharin no Kuni, Cross Channel, Grisaia, Yume Miru Kusuri... all these games make heavy use of school settings. I guess you should start with Key's visual novels - they will propably suit your tastes the most.

• 2 weeks later...