Spring 2014 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

I liked bryhildr until they started brining forced romance into the series. I really didn't care for that so my enjoyment factor has gone down significantly :(

Anyone watch Baby Steps? I honestly don't care about sports IRL and don't go out of my way to watch them in anime, but I'm really enjoying this one.

You really seem to dislike more and more anime as the seasons go by. You'll end up like Matas. No, I joke.

I really want to watch it, but I keep getting sidetracked by not airing anime.

D-frag is a hit or miss

It's tsukkomi comedy all the way. Sadly it works better in the manga as in the anime it's just the protagonist shouting the punchlines all the time.

It's a very random show with really silly antics and if you like that kind of comedy you'll probably enjoy it, there's an arch type character in every corner and the anime constantly pokes fun at cliches

I wouldn't really call ot moe though.

It's a fun show for me, not great but fun.

Yeah, there are some major flaws in character logic. They say really mindless things time to time. Need any examples?

yep (just to compare with the manga ^_^)

Listening to it again, I think it sounds better than the first.

The second op remind me the second op of Death note which was really average to me and it's the same here. The op just doesn't fit with the story (again it's just a personal opignon)

I didn't like Brynhildr's 2nd OP either. I usually never skip anime OPs since they help me get into a better mood for watching the anime, but the one for this feels so out of place that I have no choice. The OP itself is good, but it just doesn't work for this kind of anime. Also, I've been a little disappointed with the way the manga's been adapted. As a standalone series, it feels mediocre in its presentation. My initial complaint was the excessive copy+pasting from manga to anime, but now it's even skipping arcs in the manga that were really interesting in favor of bringing out the Valkyria sooner. Gosh, I haven't even gotten to that chapter in the manga yet (I didn't think the anime would get to it so soon), and I also didn't realize a different group was scanlating the manga either. They're putting out chapters really fast too. o.o Right now, I'm at chapter 55 out of 105, so I'm happy I get to marathon this again (I love the manga). But yeah, I'm not letting the anime spoil the manga's experience for me either. Despite Elfen Lied's horrible and original ending in the anime, it still had a lot more substance than Brynhildr's adaption. But damn, will any of Okamoto's manga ever have a good adaption? Seems like a damn waste of potential (but I suppose Elfen Lied wasn't so popular in Japan, so I suppose it's to be expected).

they skip which arc? But if they want to adapte valkeria battle so badly why they didn't adapt all things that is refer to (I alomost spoil you the manga ^_^ )

They upload nearly 50 chapter in one day xD (from 59 to 102)

Sadly much anime skip part from the original media and it's a hit or miss.

Like the game against Kurami in NGNL the ep was really good but they skip the Sora's point of view (and Fii doesn't cry in the LN  :angry: )

On the other hand the rhythm was faster.

So they sacrifice some immersion for the rhythm and it's the same for Brynhildr

It's really difficult to find the balance between immersion and rhythm therefore there is few anime who achieve this (I think it's why the original work is often cosiderate better than the adaptation)

About the skipped arc in Brynhildr:

I'm not sure how much else was skipped since I'm not that up-to-date with the manga, but I do know that skipped the one where they used an S-ranked fortune teller to try to catch everyone, but ended up in vain. Really painful arc.

Oh, I see. Well, I suppose anime can't always be faithful due to broadcast restrictions, but that is pretty unfortunate. :( I wouldn't be bothered by the cuts in Brynhildr at all if it weren't so mediocre. I mean, heck, I've even enjoyed a somewhat butchered SAO adaption just because they made it fun to watch. The animation, the OSTs, and the direction were really nice. The writing in SAO's anime was pretty bad, but I could still enjoy it for what it did do well in. But because Brynhildr isn't trying too hard to make itself enjoyable for anything other than its storyline contents, I can't help but nitpick the stuff it leaves out.

S-rank is valkeria

^_^ I think you speak about the AAA-rank which see the futur and can interact with it. It's true it's an interessing arc but not really important for the battle against valkeria. Though it's introduce the institute where the whitch are emprisoned and a new worker here so I think it'll have an impotance later

Brynhildr is really like Elfen Lied (since it's the same author) so it's play between hope and despair and everything is important so unless they adapt everything it'll be worse than the manga.

But like you said there is broadcast restriction so they can't and it's really a shame  :(

Oops, you're right. Somehow I managed to forget what the ranks were. My bad!

While it may not be prevalent to the fight with the Valkyria, I'm sure it'll be important later on. Okamoto isn't the type to just shoe in a quick storyline just for the hell of it (at least he didn't do that kind of thing in Elfen Lied). I'm sure it'll have some kind of meaning in the future. After all, it did introduce one key plot element when it comes to the company and its secrets, I'm sure that will be expanded on later.

Yeah, I suppose the anime studio wants to at least cover the significant parts of the manga before ending it. It's not likely to receive a sequel, so I suppose they might as well do it like that.

While it may not be prevalent to the fight with the Valkyria, I'm sure it'll be important later on. Okamoto isn't the type to just shoe in a quick storyline just for the hell of it (at least he didn't do that kind of thing in Elfen Lied). I'm sure it'll have some kind of meaning in the future. After all, it did introduce one key plot element when it comes to the company and its secrets, I'm sure that will be expanded on later.

especialy the new worker I think

^_^

Deadman wonderland have the same problem (they skip entierely one person which is very important later but not really for what they adapted)

The best for adaptation of Lynn's works would be to wait him to finish the manga then adapt it entierely *.*

That aside Nanana was really good but it's have such of troll end  :angry:

One more Love Live episode.

Noooo.

I knew they were totally going to finish it off with Bokura wa Ima no Naka de.

Does every show enjoy using the second's season's final moments as an excuse to replay the first season's opening?

Well regardless, lots of feels.

Wonder what the 13th episode will be like now that Love Live is over.

Also, Sleeping 101 with Yazawa Nico:

eSr3C7B.png

She also slept next to Maki. Obviously.

One more Love Live episode.

Noooo.

I knew they were totally going to finish it off with Bokura wa Ima no Naka de.

Does every show enjoy using the second's season's final moments as an excuse to replay the first season's opening?

Well regardless, lots of feels.

Wonder what the 13th episode will be like now that Love Live is over.

Also, Sleeping 101 with Yazawa Nico:

eSr3C7B.png

She also slept next to Maki. Obviously.

Kinda disappointed I read this, I wanted it to be a surprise :( I guess it's still a good song for the situation. "We're all living this moment"

Kinda disappointed I read this, I wanted it to be a surprise :( I guess it's still a good song for the situation. "We're all living this moment"

Ah they didn't use that song as the Love Live song.

The Love Live song is an original I'm pretty sure.

Bokura wa Ima no Naka de was just sung as an encore. For the extra dose of feels.

Definitely should get a spin off series.

I ship those 2 imoutos<3

Also the Love Live manga got picked up by a scanlator group! 

3 chapters have been released by Comic Walker but they don't seem to be wanting to do more so this is great news that some fans decided to translate it themselves~

I wrapped up "One Week Friends" today. Eh, 7/10. The MC really brought the anime down for me and I do agree with Nosebleed that the anime was pretty damn cliche. Nowhere near bad and worth the watch, but IMO not a highlight this season.

Isshuukan Friends is such a bipolar thing for me. But in the end all the rage is caused me at points left a bitter after taste in my mouth and that was the main fault for my evaluation on it.

The plot didn't really move on from the friends thing which kind of annoyed me because they hinted romance way too much and then just dropped it all half assedly. If you're not going to have a romantic plot developing in the show, don't hint it, plain and simple.

Fujimiya Kaori had her moments but she could annoy me sometimes with her naivety, she was the main victim though so I can't judge her much. But the way she acted in the end was just as bad as Hase in my opinion.

The protagonist, Hase however was the big downfall for the series. Pretty much all the drama that started was revolving around the protagonist's kiddy attitude, naivety and helplessness. He couldn't do a single thing by himself and at the very end when he choses to do something on his own it's exactly the stupidest thing he could have done. I just can't deal with this type of ridiculous middle school level drama and it was what started to make the series bad for me.

You know the main characters are bad when you stop caring for their relationship midway through the series.

But now onto the good aspects, the rest of the characters.

Kiriyu and Saki were by far the best characters in the whole series. Not just their relationship but their personalities as well.

Kiriyu was very cool headed and smart. He knows his place and knows exactly what to say when to say it.

And Saki was the polar opposite of him, naive and kiddy, always relying on others yet at the same time was the one that most helped Kaori moving forward, because let's face it the protagonist barely helped in that aspect.

And then when those 2 connected it was just the good old "opposites attract" situation that I simply found adorable to witness. 

Their relationship might have reached a slump once but they quickly solved it by talking to each other, a concept the rest of the MC clearly don't seem to grasp.

And another good thing was of course the setting. The whole one week memory reset thing was really interesting and had a lot of potential and it was fun seeing where it led. However after a while that potential was wasted in a lot of clichés and poorly constructed drama.

At some points they even kind of forget about the whole resetting thing and the whole show just feels like an everyday Slice of Life comedy. Where was all the drama related to her losing her memories every week and the quest to find out more about it? That's what I wanted to see more of and what got solved at the end in a very half assed and cliché way in my opinion.

Such wasted potential.

And finally the conclusion.

*sigh* by the end of Isshuukan Friends I was just wondering when is the kid play going to end? And what I got was more kiddy drama between Hase and Kaori that wasn't interesting in the slightest.

Well they got their "happy" end, isn't that great? Sure it is, but it doesn't excuse the rest the series has done poorly.

But at least Hase finally realized his own stupidity and finally did something to remedy the situation (kind of late now though).

But hey maybe i'm over analyzing. Maybe i'm just trying to think too much about a simple show that's meant to be watched lightheartedly.

Sure I won't discard that possibility. In fact if I watched the show only expecting light hearted drama and an overall shallow plot then I would probably enjoy the innocence of it.

However I was expecting more out of it, a deeper plot, a better development, something that at the end would make me say "that was one worthy adventure", but I never got that out of it.

I know plenty of people enjoy the innocent relationship between Hase and Kaori and I don't blame you, naivety and helplessness are indeed part of innocence and this anime shows that very well. But I guess I'm just too fed up with innocence in these highschool scenarios that it just doesn't click with me anymore and so I can't view it from that angle.

Isshuukan Friends gets a 6/10 from me because of all the rage it caused me several times and the bad protgonist as well as the really cliché drama at the second half of the series. But just bad characters and bad drama aren't enough to fully downgrade a good setting (not fully utilized though), interesting side characters and some of the more light hearted moments that really did depict Hase and Kaori's relationship in a very positive manner that I very much enjoyed seeing (I'm referring to the moments in the first episodes where Hase and Kaori really do make significant and interesting progress)

So I guess the good aspects did avoid the series from being below average, but it certainly is not a masterpiece or a very good show. It's decent.

Well Mangaka-san is over.

It's a shame they didn't bring some of the really fun characters that the manga has.

Although if you sticked past the credits you can see that they showed all of those characters in the ending animated. That was a nice touch.

I'm really hoping that this show gets a sequel because there's so much more interesting material.

It was a 8/10 for me. Really entertaining~

Mangaka-san was great, and wow that "Endless Panties" song xD. Probably my favorite insert song this season. Wish they had used more characters from the manga, like the trap or the lonely guy who wants friend, maybe the guy with a crush on Mihari. Aito was the only male in the entire show.