Fuwanovel Magic The Gathering Thread

zhurai

(including but not limited to:

• MTG Physical
  • Duels of the Planeswalkers
  • MTGO/MODO
  • Other Playtesting websites (MWS, Cockatrice)
  • ...etc

in this topic ;D)

So I've been streaming/playing MTGO for awhile but forgot to make a topic for it ;o...

---------------------

Player List - MTGO

(Fuwanovel username - MTGO account)

- zhurai - zhurai

- shcboomer - shcboomer

(I'll add more player list stuff for the others if needed)

whatelsetosayherelol?

Hmm i wouldnt mind giving it a try, Any idea where i could get it?

MTGO? https://accounts.onlinegaming.wizards.com (costs $9.99 to get in, and further money)

Physical? go to your local LGS/Local Store

Duels? http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=duels+of+the+planeswalkers

MWS? it's paid type (http://www.magicworkstation.com)... free if you don't care about the nagware screens... mainly used by people to playtest decks though (so you don't spend $200/300+ on a deck only to not like how the deck plays)

cockatrice? free. http://www.woogerworks.com ... mainly used by people to playtest decks though. (so you don't spend $200/300+ on a deck only to not like how the deck plays)

Haven't played for a year or so... Not enough time, drafts too expensive :s

You can still add me to the list I guess. Down on MTGO.

drafts are negative EV

actually constructed if you're 50-50 is like semi negative/semi no EV

constructed used to be positive EV (if you're good enough you don't need to spend money), until they took out DE/Daily Events (supposedly temporarily. back in about a week if everything's ok or something)

at the moment, from what I hear, THS Sealed (6 Booster) is actually positive EV at the moment

that said getting into pauper constructed is really cheap depending on the list...

also momir (at least vs people you know... not in the queues/DE's) is also fun to play~...

Oh man, this makes me natsukashii.

I used to play MTG at school.. or I tried. It was all guys who played, and they never wanted to let me join in cos I'm a girl :( In the end I had tons of cards but no real knowledge of the game. I actually sold my whole collection on Ebay before I moved to Japan ^^;

I used to play MTG at school.. or I tried. It was all guys who played, and they never wanted to let me join in cos I'm a girl :( In the end I had tons of cards but no real knowledge of the game. I actually sold my whole collection on Ebay before I moved to Japan ^^;

Lol. there's actually like some female in the proscene like Melissa DeTora

You should also play mtgo or something ;D

Wow... I'm surprised, over here people don't really care about gender or race when it comes to MTG.

http://community.wizards.com/content/blog/3960471

Modern Masters format is the flashback draft of the week.

Personally 25 tix is a bit derpy for FB drafts imo though.  (current draft ones are like 24 tix of the same caliber iirc?)

So I'll probably just try to learn M14 drafts and do 4-3-2-2's and/or 8-4's just cause those are better..

On another note Daily Events should be coming back 12/11 ... supposedly

which is nice as the main (real) +EV event is THS limited 6 booster drafts which you have to go at least 2-1 in to break even (... 2-1 _AND_ get 1 card in the pool that's > 2 tix)

that said, I hate the THS limited, and overall set costs... M14 > THS atm.

Constructed queues are so derpy seriously.

also I might as well post my lists huh (at least for MTGO here '-')

Standard - Mono Red Blitz (Cause I don't have money atm wwwwwww)

4 Legion Loyalist

4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Ash Zealot
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
12 Mountain
4 Madcap Skills
1 Dynacharge
4 Titan's Strength
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
3 Rubblebelt Maaka
4 Firefist Striker
4 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Act of Treason
1 Pithing Needle
4 Skullcrack
1 Boros Reckoner
2 Seismic Stomp
1 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Shock

Deck basically goes well.. YOLO and tries to kill them with 1 drops.

it's kinda funny that without distruption/lifegain/semi good hand, it goldfishes about Turn 4 wins...

There's 2 variants of this though.. one that's like basically Mono Red Heroic Blitz, which just goes all-in on the heroic mechanic (Dragon Mantle + Akroan Crusader for example), this one I think would be better though (although meta dependent)

Probably still sucks verses Mono U Devotion as it's... Mono U. Lol

I'll probably switch to Mono U if I had enough money.

Modern - 3 Color Burn

2 Flames of the Blood Hand

1 Blood Crypt
2 Scalding Tarn
5 Mountain
4 Goblin Guide
4 Magma Jet
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boros Charm
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Vexing Devil
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Bump in the Night
4 Arid Mesa
4 Skullcrack

Sideboard
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
2 Smash to Smithereens
2 Rain of Gore
3 Hide/Seek
3 Rakdos Charm
3 Shattering Spree

So what I found is in modern, Mono Red, although seems like it's good, its actually hard countered by a single leyline of sanctity. White is splashed to deal with it (Hide/Seek)... and it's generally hilarious because of Boros Charm (one sided Flame Rift), while Black is good for Bump In the Night (another Lava Spike).

Rain of Gore probably shouldn't be in the SB, Flames is split 2/2 because 3 cmc spells are kind of derpy to have in the beginning of the game... but useful in certain matchups. I should probably have 2-3 Ensnaring Bridge(s) in the SB because of certain matchups (also that card's good in Legacy... vs Show and Tell) but, those are quite expensive so yeah.

once I make some bank (or just make more money) in Modern, probably switch to Tempo Twin or something

Pauper I'm doing Burn but once DE's are back I'd probably switch back to White Weenies (cause... yeah)

Legacy probably start with Burn and go for Delver and then maybe Show and Tell (or whatever deck is gud at that point. Maybe Combo/Natural Order Elves would be hilarious to play... dunno depends)

(etc etc)

Physical I have a bunch of old cards, should probably shift through them and maybe join modern or legacy at my LGS (and/or play drafts/sealed there)

EDIT: LOL bam, my strategy post. I should make a more indepth version on my blog wwwwww...

I am unsure if I still have a MTGO account. Even if I did my cards will be out of date by 3 years. Also I hated the client. Which is a shame as I really enjoy the game.

depending on which set/which cards, that might actually be a good thing lol.

If it's by 3 years.... well, there's a new client (V4) that's in open beta though so /shrug. (looking at wiki, the current client, V3 was released in 2008...etc)

I play magic. cards like this are the reason I should never design magic.

2efoqok.jpg

that should honestly be something like ... 2WWW or at least 3WW

at least the rarity seems ok too l0l

for reference 3/3 for 3 mana is already pretty good in limited for example. if you put flying on it... should be ok...

but then if you put like first strike AND something that removes first strike of other creatures then hrm ... lul.

(1WWW lowest I'd say, and it'll be annoying..)

not that I'm designing cards so maybe take everything I say with a grain of salt? lol

1409ith.png

we'd be gaining +1/+2 for one more white mana symbol, jumping 2 rarities, and a unique ability that is almost never relevant.

hell, delver of secrets was a 3/2 with flying that hit the table turn one. it was a common.

with the power level of creatures in standard/modern right now, as is, she's actually kind of average.

also yea, 3/3's for 3 with flying are pretty beastly in limited, I scooped up every emancipation angel when drafting avacyn block. I have a small army of them around here somewhere. those are uncommon, and their bounce ability can win you games if you have good enough etb effects.

1409ith.png

we'd be gaining +1/+2 for one more white mana symbol, jumping 2 rarities, and a unique ability that is almost never relevant.

hell, delver of secrets was a 3/2 with flying that hit the table turn one. it was a common.

with the power level of creatures in standard/modern right now, as is, she's actually kind of average.

also yea, 3/3's for 3 with flying are pretty beastly in limited, I scooped up every emancipation angel when drafting avacyn block. I have a small army of them around here somewhere. those are uncommon, and their bounce ability can win you games if you have good enough etb effects.

except

1) you put in the 'remove first strike' effect. which is ridiculous really (also what would happen in the interaction of first strike vs double strike)

2) Delver of secrets is a powerhouse. and derp

2a) also it's "possibly turn 2 if you build your deck around him"

2b) it's actually "turn 1, he's a 1/1 with no ability really, but turn 2 if you built your whole deck around him, i.e. have over half your deck as spells then he can become a 3/2 flying on turn 2 but not as consistently"

2c) the fact that he's probably a bad mistake... is further proved by UWx Delver in standard's dominance, and how powerful UWR/RUG/etc variants in Legacy, as well as Mono U delver in pauper, and certain delver variants in modern. (note RUG runs him along with Goyf)

2d) the derp is because they put ISD right after SOM block

also you're saying 3/3's with flying that in the case of emancipation angel, the 2nd effect (the bounce effect) is actually considered as a card with a worse effect (therefore 1WW for a 3/3 flying still works out because it's in a vacuum the 1WW for 3/3 flying  >  1WW 3/3 flying that bounces your creature) and yes this is considered bad _unless_ you have a deck built around etb effects.

...."with the power level of creatures in standard/modern right now, as is, she's actually kind of average."

Yeah no, not with the creatures in standard. especially with THS

also that voiceless spirit dies to a slight breeze in the air, and is only played as a common mainly so people can go UW flyers in limited... and it's shit everywhere else (in all other formats)

EDIT: also the remove effects is more of a blue effect too.... (remove first strike)