[Submission] Small Changes That Make the Site More Fun

On second thought going all the way to 200 might have been silly after all. I hope 150, MAYBE 160 will work out for everyone.

I'm sorry and I should have given this more thought, but the very valid reasoning 

Forum sig limit increases, people make sigs bigger than most of their posts

came up, which is why I was hesitant to increase it in the first place.

One thing that popped up in my mind regarding sigs:

People with lower bandwith might experience problems with users who have sigs with a huge file size. This is mostly for GIFs and high quality PNGs

Not sure if this is an issue or not but i'm just wondering can it become a problem?

It's 800x150 + 3 lines of text now - I think that should be plenty. Sorry for everyone who effectively wasted their time because I flip-flopped on this.

High quality PNGs at that size shouldn't exceed 80kb, imo. For people who don't know how to limit their PNGs' color palettes themselves: http://tinypng.com This sweet little tool can easily shave off 60% of your PNG-24 images' file sizes without impacting the visual quality.

Please apply common sense for huge gifs, don't make us remove them because people get negative impacts on their page load times.

• 1 month later...

Hm. Wouldn't exactly make the site more fun, but I noticed that the color to the name of moderators both on the forums and on their profiles is the same as the normal members, while admins are red. That's not a problem at all, but it would be a bit cool if we also had our own color, you know. For easier identification. Because the badges obviously aren't enough for blind people. And changing colors would totally help them to see that we are mods. #flawlesslogic. It's obviously not me wanting to get even moar personalized.

Maybe blue or purple? Oh, I ask this thinking it's something that wouldn't take more than 10 seconds. If doing it would actually need more than a few mouse clicks, ignore it.

Hm. Wouldn't exactly make the site more fun, but I noticed that the color to the name of moderators both on the forums and on their profiles is the same as the normal members, while admins are red. That's not a problem at all, but it would be a bit cool if we also had our own color, you know. For easier identification. Because the badges obviously aren't enough for blind people. And changing colors would totally help them to see that we are mods. #flawlesslogic. It's obviously not me wanting to get even moar personalized.

Maybe blue or purple? Oh, I ask this thinking it's something that wouldn't take more than 10 seconds. If doing it would actually need more than a few mouse clicks, ignore it.

Being a former mod, I oppose this. The mods are not to be any different from members, and having that special color would only serve to divide mods from members. 

Being a former mod, I oppose this. The mods are not to be any different from members, and having that special color would only serve to divide mods from members. 

It wasn't my intention to try and differentiate mods and members, I just don't like green :P. But that's a fair point, I wouldn't want the atmosphere to get worse because of a simple color difference. I'll give up on the idea, any potential to bring some sort of harm is not worth a color change.

It wasn't my intention to try and differentiate mods and members, I just don't like green :P. But that's a fair point, I wouldn't want the atmosphere to get worse because of a simple color difference. I'll give up on the idea, any potential to bring some sort of harm is not worth a color change.

Green is obviously a superior color anyway. Hell, even Fuwanovel is green. Green is rarely best girl, sadly, though.

I agree with the sentiments here.  The only reason I don't advocate for even admins to be labeled in the same color is that on several occasions non-Fuwanovel people have been helped in identifying me (and found my contact info on my profile page) by the red text.  

Commence butthurtdom.

I'm certainly not just another member, I worked plenty for the site, know all the rules, and am dedicated to the cause; additionally, I have authority that members do not, so I'm more than just slightly against what you said bats...I completely refute it :unsure: .  I think it's a pretty good idea to differentiate mods from members in terms of name coloration.  Like Tay said, that's a way new members can see and contact an online staff member.  I always color all of my staff red, and myself blue--just because I can :P --simply because:

on several occasions non-Fuwanovel people have been helped in identifying me (and found my contact info on my profile page) by the red text.  

I have zero idea why we'd even need to bother wasting our time arguing about such a small and stupid issue in the first place.  Don't we have more important things to do other than debate the color of staff member's names? 

My argument: Staff are there to be recognized as such if someone wants to seek out direct help, and all of us know a general direction to point to if something's the matter:

• Site down -> Go ask Nay
  • Official Fuwanovel business -> Taylor
  • Blog / FB / Social media in general -> Naomi
  • Releases / new projects -> Taylor/Naomi/Beato/me
  • Tech problems -> Luch/Down
  • Walkthroughs -> Most often Down
  • Everything else like title approvements -> Everynya~
  • Lolis -> Steve (duh)

New guys don't know all those names, and we are only 2 admins. So why not do it that way? Any problems with all staff sharing the same color?

Any problems with all staff sharing the same color?

My lack of "give a rip" regarding this issue is astounding even me  :P.  It really doesn't matter at all; it's just to help people identify us  B)

I agree that a simple way to identify staff would be nice. Particularly for new members.

If admins have red then moderators deserve a different color as well because it's only natural people want to look for staff and that'd make things easier. I don't know why having a different color at the bottom of the page would divide the people of fuwa honestly. We are all human beings (I think)

I recognize each and every individual wether they are moderators, admins or members as equal in the way i treat them and a different color for the name at the bottom of the screen is definitely not going to affect that in the slighest. The color just makes contacting staff easier when one doesn't know who is in charge of what.

I support the motion. Wether it's by color or other method of identification i still support it.

We are all human beings (I think)

If only you knew...if only you knew... B)

"I'm not a robot girl created by Nay-nay to cater to his whims...."

I knew Rule 30 of the internet rules was true

30: There are no girls on the internet. No exceptions

Also regarding the topic itself. If there's really a big argument about the color you can always have something like a tag next side the name in a small font for example. I just think identifying staff is a good thing. The color would be simpler and easier though.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not talking to a mod doesn't change anything for absolutely everyone, but if it's just a matter of color, I guess it shouldn't be more of an issue than those glaring "Staff" badges we already have anyway.

I knew Rule 30 of the internet rules was true

30: There are no girls on the internet. No exceptions

She's a fully-functional replica of a human female though. You know, even there... master has got his needs.

Changing the color is the most obvious thing without adding hard to properly identify graphical noise to the online list. Changing that is easy, and red (which is the native theme color for admins) serves that purpose perfectly.

She's a fully-functional replica of a human female though. You know, even there... master has got his needs.

I forbid this to proceed before i have some serious nightmares. 

Changing the color is the most obvious thing without adding hard to properly identify graphical noise to the online list. Changing that is easy, and red (which is the native theme color for admins) serves that purpose perfectly.

My thoughts exactly on this matter. I hope more people can agree to this because i don't see it as such a big deal as it was stated by solidbatman.

Commence butthurtdom.

I'm certainly not just another member, I worked plenty for the site, know all the rules, and am dedicated to the cause; additionally, I have authority that members do not, so I'm more than just slightly against what you said bats...I completely refute it :unsure: .  I think it's a pretty good idea to differentiate mods from members in terms of name coloration.  Like Tay said, that's a way new members can see and contact an online staff member.  I always color all of my staff red, and myself blue--just because I can :P --simply because:

I have zero idea why we'd even need to bother wasting our time arguing about such a small and stupid issue in the first place.  Don't we have more important things to do other than debate the color of staff member's names? 

I only said that because that is what I was told when made a staff member. Aaeru wanted no divide between staff and members, and really didn't want staff to begin with. Obviously, if you want to take Fuwanovel down a more specific Staff-Member divide, it doesn't mean its a bad thing. My opposition is just old school Fuwa I guess. 

I gave my reasons for the change, and I guess my views on things like that don't really go well with the old course. There's no reason for a divide, it's just a visual indicator - our staff is knowledgeable, and this is a simple thing to distinguish who you can talk to should you have any questions without having to pull up the member list, which is incredibly painful to use in IPB.

I only said that because that is what I was told when made a staff member. Aaeru wanted no divide between staff and members, and really didn't want staff to begin with. Obviously, if you want to take Fuwanovel down a more specific Staff-Member divide, it doesn't mean its a bad thing. My opposition is just old school Fuwa I guess. 

I totally understand what you're saying here.  That was definitely Aaeru's way of doing things, and we've always respected that up until now.  Unofficially speaking, I can tell you that we're going to be seeing a major shift in Fuwanovel, since we can now say for almost certain that Aaeru has no intentions of returning.  We have to start running things more like a normal site, since we no longer have our Aaeru to do everything for us.