CultureSelect/ Atelier773 - "Dead End Junction" on SteamGreenlight & to be released in September ´016

XReaper

So i just came across that nice & intriguing looking little something, which i never heard of before (same with the circle in question) and that is currently put on SteamGreenlight by CultureSelect. not much to say from my side, other than its visuals make my heart go all fuzzy and the writing/translation also seems quite befitting the story itself, e.g.: "unless you want that hood of yours blown straight to El Roso, you best move along". aye! (bit curious if @Ryechu had some sort of involvement there).
eitherway stuff needs your very support in case high noon-ish waifus, social issues & lots of clang boom pow (literally) are what you´ve been always longing for.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728993422

CoT1nzCUEAE5mQs.jpg

"Dead End Junction was written and directed by Hidume, the sole member of 773, creator of the acclaimed Cherry Tree High series and fan of old Westerns like The Magnificent Seven and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Their sharp sense of humor is on full display here, though they do an excellent job proving they can write a serious story with this title as well.
To be localized by the start-up publisher Culture Select, Dead End Junction is a visual novel that captures the aura of the Wild West while addressing social issues that are relevant to contemporary society."

edit: personal hype train just went off at maxx speed after re-reading the passage above, simply because the one who decided on creating fiction, possibly influenced by "good, bad & ugly´s" grandiosity, is more than worth my given support.

This is the latest game from the independent douijn circle Atelier773, which is best known on the west for their Manken! series; albeit first released in 2011, this one can be considered their most ambitious project so far. It kind of reminds Liar-Soft's Angel Bullet in terms of design. Personally, I haven't got the chance to read it yet (oh, the joys of evergrowing backlogs).

Great news; I'm actually really tempted to pick it up.

CultureSelect:

"There´re only 3 episodes listed on VNDB, which are actually 4 episodes! We will release all 4 episodes compiled together! It won't be split up, it'll be the whole series.

Episode 4 has a very different feel to it, while as 1-3 focus on Jo and the Wild West theme in the game. The game as a whole builds off some common themes, though each episode has a specific focus.

We are looking carefully at the feedback in this thread, but the font is not actually Comic Sans! Unfortunately the engine in it's current state doesn't support font switching, as each break line for each speech bubble needs to be manually programmed."

• 1 month later...

Finally got a long weekend off and Dead End Junction just happened to conveniently release at the same time for me to read it.

It's was pretty good. The setting is cool take on Wild West with some fantasy elements and story is very classic "journey of a hero". Naive girl with big dreams and some unsettled business with his missing dad traveling through the wild, meeting new friends, getting tangled up with fate and learning the ways of the world. Simple and traditional maybe, but well executed. The episode format works pretty well as well, each have their own theme and all being pretty consistent in quality. 3rd is probably the best of the bunch and the finale being quite different from the rest.

Colorful cast is one of the strong points of the DEJ. The protagonist Josette is not only very talkative, but also somewhat klutzy and simple; a rather endearing a hilarious combination. Other characters like the smart and sharp Inaho are great counterparts to her, the constant bickering and banter between the characters is joy to read. If there's some kind of Wild West stereotype you happen to like, I'm almost certain you'll find an interesting Japanese take on it.
Big part the charm is also thanks to the fantastic localization. I could almost claim that the English version is better, since the characters speak in Wild West accent and use sayings common to that period. But I haven't (yet) read it in Japanese so I won't, but nonetheless, the translation is great.  

So yeah, Dead End Junction is pretty cool and well worth the few bucks it's going for. The presentation is real nice and the story is solid good that leaves you of with a pleasant feeling. 

pretty much this & as mentioned by turnip, the translation is top-knotch there. fits perfectly its setting and enhances the overall experience. definitely a great job done by whomever has worked on said title. anyway pretty cool seeing some having put this much efforts into a "mere" doujin.

edit: to those who can´t help but complaining about its font - quit being retarded & accept the fact it´s perfectly fine as it is and does befit the overall product.

6 hours ago, XReaper said:

pretty much this & as mentioned by turnip, the translation is top-knotch there. fits perfectly its setting and enhances the overall experience. definitely a great job done by whomever has worked on said title. anyway pretty cool seeing some having put this much efforts into a "mere" doujin.

edit: to those who can´t help but complaining about its font - quit being retarded & accept the fact it´s perfectly fine as it is and does befit the overall product.

I have to admit the current v1.0 of the game has a couple of minor issues and some typos within the script, but they will propably get fixed in an upcoming patch. I'll agree on the translation quality, though; it reads well and dialogues feel like 100% wild west dialects with plenty of anachronisms within, which makes the setting solid and believable.

That aside - the font used in the game isn't Comic Sans, so stop complaining :Teeku: