Where can I find guides for JRPG games?

Nekolover

To be honest, since the central elements of the community that used to produce Faq/walkthroughs for jrpgs has pretty much collapsed, in a lot of cases you are going to be stuck looking for fragmentary information and low-detail walkthroughs on random places on the net if you don't want to pay for the official walkthrough.  Big names like Final Fantasy will inevitably get walkthroughs, but the ones NIS tends to localize probably won't (with the exception of the Disgaea series).

40 minutes ago, Decay said:

There's usually a wiki somewhere within the first page of a quick google search, and it's usually half-assed.

Yep... It is a bit depressing.  When I first started playing jrpgs, a walkthrough would usually be made up within a year... even five years ago, the best/most liked ones (aside from the big names) generally got one within that period of time.  However, these days, with the glut of shitty third-rate jrpgs...

15 years ago, gamefaqs was the way to go. That really changed...
Nowadays I mainly use Japanese wikis because the niche JRPGs I play will never get a full FAQ and certainly not shortly after the release when I play them. And actually, they don't need one. A good Japanese wiki page for all the missables in a game is essentially all you would ever need.

The only exception is when I play a game on a console. Then I use a trophy guide.

7 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Here's the guide for the games below. Good luck.

The Witch and the Hundred Knights Guide

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/

Edit: Though the site is still on its slow, decades-long decline, so not every jrpg gets a full faq/walkthrough anymore.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Decay said:

Ahh, I remember the day I used my access to a school printer to print out a 200 page Star Ocean 2 FAQ from GameFAQs.

Sometimes your comments make me feel really old.  You make me miss the 90. 

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

To be honest, since the central elements of the community that used to produce Faq/walkthroughs for jrpgs has pretty much collapsed, in a lot of cases you are going to be stuck looking for fragmentary information and low-detail walkthroughs on random places on the net if you don't want to pay for the official walkthrough.  Big names like Final Fantasy will inevitably get walkthroughs, but the ones NIS tends to localize probably won't (with the exception of the Disgaea series).

Why did it collapse?  

5 hours ago, Decay said:

There's usually a wiki somewhere within the first page of a quick google search, and it's usually half-assed.

Sure but sometimes they kind of carry spoilers. 

18 minutes ago, Clephas said:

No really good jrpgs in over four years will do that...

No, that's not the reason. The FAQ scene collapsed because time's changed and nobody uses wordy text guides anymore.
Back in the days, even bad games got a FAQ. Nowadays, not even the good ones get one anymore. Except it's an AAA title.

52 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

No, that's not the reason. The FAQ scene collapsed because time's changed and nobody uses wordy text guides anymore.
Back in the days, even bad games got a FAQ. Nowadays, not even the good ones get one anymore. Except it's an AAA title.

You can't seriously deny that jrpgs haven't gotten weaker as a genre though?  At this point, I don't even need to talk about gameplay, as jrpg gameplay has been running in circles for over twenty years, and abortive attempts to include new features (other than simple refinements of existing elements) like multiplayer and competitive elements have generally backfired or fallen flat.  What I'm talking about is stories... to be blunt, every jrpg I've played made in the last four years has been at best second-rate, even compared to the storytelling of the PS2 era.  Of the two best jrpgs I've played in the last ten years, one was a VN hybrid (Ikusa Megami Zero) and the other was a port of a playstation 2 game (Growlanser IV).  I keep buying them, but even the mainstream (Tales and Final Fantasy) has generally been disappointing from this point of view...

Wordy text guides have their advantages over the half-assed fragmentary ones you generally see these days... especially when it comes to details. 

I'd say the lack of wordy text guides in the present is more due to the Baby Boomer Retiring phenomenon where all the peeps from 15 years ago that made the walkthroughs became 15 years older and so they retired 

And then the new generation coming 15 years in are a bunch of kids who grew up with Ipads and 4K instead of CD players / walkmans / grey TV and so they're all too spoiled to make wordy old fashioned text guides and instead resort to half arsed wiki crap.

I miss 'em though. They were great.