Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy (Future & Despair)

Eclipsed

Why is this summer so good? So many theoretically great stuff coming out, and here we have the third entry of the Danganronpa series.

If you're unfamiliar with Danganronpa, it's a murder mystery battle royale classroom debates type of deal, and this particular anime is set right after or before the first two games, so there will most likely be spoilers, beware!

The Future volume which is airing now is a sequel to the Danganronpa 1 (and 2 I guess?)
80433l.jpg (320×434)

Whereas the Despair volume which will begin airing on the 14th is a prequel to Danganronpa 2 (and 1 I guess >.>).
80434l.jpg (320×434)

~~
Future Ep 1 comments:

Spoiler
  • Good recap intro, enjoyed the lil' recap snippets of the Remnants of Despair in action, I need more Ultimate Despair Mikan :kosame: 
  • Yasuhiro was a mistake, guy should've died in the first game. Hope he doesn't get much screentime
  • Alas, Danganronpa continues its trend of offing a really good character at the very start ._. but man that was a good way to hook line and sinker the hype for the rest of the anime~ RIP Yukizome though ;-;
  • MK's new voice is l0l, but i won't hate
  • Omg there's real blood instead of pink blood now :P 

Ooooh~ I'm looking forward to this~ ^_^

I played the first game (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc) earlier this year when it was released to Steam. Having greatly enjoyed the Zero Escape series (and currently enjoying playing the newest one that was released on Steam not too long ago) I purchased Trigger Happy Havoc almost instantly after reading its premise. I love murder/mystery stuff! As much as I love Zero Escape, I enjoyed playing Trigger Happy Havoc more because I greatly enjoyed the process of gathering all of the evidence you could find, and then using them in a pretty interested court-like system in figuring out and proving who committed the murder.

I haven't had the chance to play Trigger Happy Havoc's sequel 'Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair' yet unfortunately. I can't spend much at the moment, and I already decided that the next game I'd allow myself to afford would be the new Zero Escape.

I was a little disappointed that the main character from Trigger Happy Havoc and the amazing Kirigiri Kyouko weren't returning in the sequel, yet the annoying Togami Byakuya for whatever reason is, but with...interesting changes? :michiru:

I'm not gonna' allow myself to watch this anime until I can purchase and finish Goodbye Despair.

@Eclipsed

After I do manage to get round in playing Goodbye Despair, would you recommend that I watch the anime adaptation of the first game before I watch these new ones?

23 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Ooooh~ I'm looking forward to this~ ^_^

I played the first game (Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc) earlier this year when it was released to Steam. Having greatly enjoyed the Zero Escape series (and currently enjoying playing the newest one that was released on Steam not too long ago) I purchased Trigger Happy Havoc almost instantly after reading its premise. I love murder/mystery stuff! As much as I love Zero Escape, I enjoyed playing Trigger Happy Havoc more because I greatly enjoyed the process of gathering all of the evidence you could find, and then using them in a pretty interested court-like system in figuring out and proving who committed the murder.

I haven't had the chance to play Trigger Happy Havoc's sequel 'Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair' yet unfortunately. I can't spend much at the moment, and I already decided that the next game I'd allow myself to afford would be the new Zero Escape.

I was a little disappointed that the main character from Trigger Happy Havoc and the amazing Kirigiri Kyouko weren't returning in the sequel, yet the annoying Togami Byakuya for whatever reason is, but with...interesting changes? :michiru:

I'm not gonna' allow myself to watch this anime until I can purchase and finish Goodbye Despair.

@Eclipsed

After I do manage to get round in playing Goodbye Despair, would you recommend that I watch the anime adaptation of the first game before I watch these new ones?

This anime is the sequel to Goodbye Despair. Absolutely do not watch it until you've played that.

As for the anime adaptation of the first game, it really makes no difference either way. It is just an adaptation of the first game and brings nothing new to the table. It's also not particularly popular as it skimps out on the investigation segments.

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

This anime is the sequel to Goodbye Despair. Absolutely do not watch it until you've played that.

As for the anime adaptation of the first game, it really makes no difference either way. It is just an adaptation of the first game and brings nothing new to the table. It's also not particularly popular as it skimps out on the investigation segments.

Thanks for the information! :miyako:

I'll definitely ensure I stay clear to avoid any spoilers.

14 hours ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Future Ep1 spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Someone posted on mal

vg5fPl9.jpg

uvGwmN5.png

Oh wow, I didn't catch that :P though I'm thinking it's more referring to this character probably being prominent in the Despair anime which will cover DR2 cast pre-Tragedy.

~~
Btw guys, it's obvious who the perp is,

Spoiler

It's like, tradition, for the killer to be depicted as some gray nekkid man:
e2Y19qj.jpg (960×544)

And guess who was stealthily drawn as such during his "dramatic shock" expression:
ph6A0Hc.jpg (960×535)

Lel jk, this guy is the Byakuya 2.0, no way this true :3

Ohhhh my gawd, I'm so HYPED for the Despair arc, it's really, really cool to get to finally see the DR2 cast in their 'normal' high skoo days, and of course it'll be veeeeery interesting to see how it all ends :upupu:

Really liked how they snuck in the DR2 pixelated sprite segments after every scene, very nostalgic

Curious as to how 3D Chiaki will stack up against 2D Chiaki, guess we'll find out. I forgot Hajime wasn't actually a part of their class though, so guess we won't see much of him for now >:c that damned Reserve Student!

It's neat how the dual anime setup allows Yukizome-sensei to get offed in Future arc and instead have a prominent role in Despair arc, she seems like the perfect candidate to manage this crowd.

Expecting great things, 
CvVTArb.jpg (960×538)

1 hour ago, kooolm said:

This should have been a game, not an anime series.

Perhaps they ran out of ways to tell a story using the traditional gameplay and opted to make it a linear experience focused on the plot instead. Furthermore, an anime can bring the characters to life in other ways the games couldn't, better focusing on their actions and on action in general.

They do have plans for more classical DanganRonpa games, but using a completely different cast and setting, so if that's what worries you, worry not.

On 7/19/2016 at 5:30 PM, Thunderbro said:

Honestly that death just made me really depressed. 

REJOICE!!!! TROLOLOLOLOLKEWRJKLEFJADSLFKSD :wafuu: 

Spoiler

PLOT ARMOR FTW, though this could be a deliberate thing by the perp to give us an ounce of hope that the survivor DR1 cast is immune to death, THEN WHAM, GET A TASTE OF :upupu:DESPAIR:upupu: WHEN THEY DIE FOR REAL LATER

~~
Despair Ep 2: Hoh,,, so now it's pretty obvious regarding Chiaki:

Spoiler

Her death is what will cause the Class of DR2 to fall into Despair

d1AFB9X.jpg (960×539)

I am a huge fan of Danganronpa, and I had no idea they were doing the third entry as an anime instead of a game until I saw this topic! I'm not really an anime person (think I've seen two in the past 5 years?), but I am considering watching this since I love the games, plus I want to know what happens. Is this a good anime? If it is, I think I will start watching it now. If not, I will probably try watching it later after all of the episodes have aired.

9 hours ago, Kairix360 said:

I am a huge fan of Danganronpa, and I had no idea they were doing the third entry as an anime instead of a game until I saw this topic! I'm not really an anime person (think I've seen two in the past 5 years?), but I am considering watching this since I love the games, plus I want to know what happens. Is this a good anime? If it is, I think I will start watching it now. If not, I will probably try watching it later after all of the episodes have aired.

You played the first two games, right?6

This anime will be the conclusion to the trilogy, so if anything you should watch to know what happens ^_^ 

There's no more Class Trials, but it definitely has the Danganronpa feel to it.

50 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

You played the first two games, right?6

This anime will be the conclusion to the trilogy, so if anything you should watch to know what happens ^_^ 

There's no more Class Trials, but it definitely has the Danganronpa feel to it.

Yep! :) I finished Danganronpa 1 and 2 and loved both! The only one I haven't played is Ultra Despair Girls since I have been having trouble finding a copy. :/

That's why I'm thinking of checking it out despite not usually watching anime. I definitely want to know how the trilogy ends, so I want to give it a try; I'm just not sure if it's something I should start now or wait until it's done. o.o 

I really liked the class trials, but good to know it still has the feel to it! I wonder what is going to happen in this show. I'm also curious what is going to happen in the new game coming out since I assumed that would have been the continuation until I heard about the anime today.

On 7/30/2016 at 5:30 AM, Kairix360 said:

Yep! :) I finished Danganronpa 1 and 2 and loved both! The only one I haven't played is Ultra Despair Girls since I have been having trouble finding a copy. :/

That's why I'm thinking of checking it out despite not usually watching anime. I definitely want to know how the trilogy ends, so I want to give it a try; I'm just not sure if it's something I should start now or wait until it's done. o.o 

I really liked the class trials, but good to know it still has the feel to it! I wonder what is going to happen in this show. I'm also curious what is going to happen in the new game coming out since I assumed that would have been the continuation until I heard about the anime today.

UDG is shit

So is the anime format for mirai-hen tbh should have been a no-gameplay vn

Mirai EP3

wish they had the balls to kill off Asahina, just like that

Future Ep 4:

Heh, anybody who played Ultra Despair Girls saw that revelation coming from light years away, but now it kinda feels like the rest of Future won't have any more secrets and mysteries to reveal and it'll just be the characters running around spitting their stupid ideals at each other.

12 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Future Ep 4:

Heh, anybody who played Ultra Despair Girls saw that revelation coming from light years away, but now it kinda feels like the rest of Future won't have any more secrets and mysteries to reveal and it'll just be the characters running around spitting their stupid ideals at each other.

Would you say it would be preferable for me to not have played Ultra Despair Girls whenever I get around to watching this?

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Would you say it would be preferable for me to not have played Ultra Despair Girls whenever I get around to watching this?

Hmmmmmmm

Nah.

I don't think there's any "the revelation's impact was ruined because I played UDG!@#" to be had here... and honestly, 'Who's the mastermind?!" shouldn't be the overlying mystery anymore, especially this late into the DR series :upupu: 

If anything, not playing UDG will simply result in a "Who the bloody hell is that character?!@#" reaction rather than "Aha! I knew it!"

Just now, Funyarinpa said:

No, read a summary. The game is a steaming pile of shit. 

Your opinion is, and has always been, far too radical when compared to mine. I have a very large tolerance, you see, and what little I've played of Ultra Despair Girls looked pretty good.
Either way, I now see it is best I get around to it whilst I wait for this anime to finish airing.