Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

1 minute ago, Jun Inoue said:

Supposedly, they cut it short at 8 episodes cuz they had arrived to the point where there's no more material to adapt... but no idea. Fingers crossed we see a S3 for Arslan next year or smth.

Would be very nice if it happend, but looking at how long the manga has been running and how few volumes there are we are probably not looking at next year but in about three years.

Would be great if they also did it for Banner of the stars i have been dying for more, but i doubt it will happen.
Altough they did make a new OVA series 5 years ater the third season to adapt a shorter book.

And now lets wait for Re:zero.

Just now, havoc said:

Would be very nice if it happend, but looking at how long the manga has been running and how few volumes there are we are probably not looking at next year but in about three years.

Would be great if they also did it for Banner of the stars i have been dying for more, but i doubt it will happen.
Altough they did make a new OVA series 5 years ater the third season to adapt a shorter book.

And now lets wait for Re:zero.

Indeedy. I've been all week hoping for Wilhem to do a comeback... it already saddened me that the wolf guy went and got himself killed while saving Subaru.

Indeedy. I've been all week hoping for Wilhem to do a comeback... it already saddened me that the wolf guy went and got himself killed while saving Subaru.

Really, the guy had a giant death flag hanging over him from the moment they met.

Personally i am more curious what happens to the people who get eaten by the whale in the fog.
Why does everyone forget them?

1 minute ago, havoc said:

Really, the guy had a giant death flag hanging over him from the moment they met.

Personally i am more curious what happens to the people who get eaten by the whale in the fog.
Why does everyone forget them?

Well, I pretty much expect a simple reasoning. The Whale was created by the Witch, and it supposedly either represents the sin of Gluttony, or is Gluttony itself (there was some discussion about the way fansubs translated what Puck says about the Whale being Gluttony). Consequently, those killed by the Whale's "essence (?)" are devoured whole, existence and all.

37 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well, I pretty much expect a simple reasoning. The Whale was created by the Witch, and it supposedly either represents the sin of Gluttony, or is Gluttony itself (there was some discussion about the way fansubs translated what Puck says about the Whale being Gluttony). Consequently, those killed by the Whale's "essence (?)" are devoured whole, existence and all.

true, but what happens when the wale dies?
Speculation, they are going to kill the whale by devouring its essence, or its existance.
What will happen to those who had er essence devoured by the whale?

Just now, havoc said:

true, but what happens when the wale dies?
Speculation, they are going to kill the whale by devouring its essence, or its existance.
What will happen to those who had er essence devoured by the whale?

Good question. We do not really know how this power works. Rather, we've simply seen it in action, and then taken some conclusions.

Good question. We do not really know how this power works. Rather, we've simply seen it in action, and then taken some conclusions.

Yeah, it could however lead to a paradox.
How can something that never existed erase the existence of another something at time x.

definitely curious how they deal with it.

lets just hope the series does not pull a aldnoah zero ending in the end.

Just now, havoc said:

Yeah, it could however lead to a paradox.
How can something that never existed erase the existence of another something at time x.

definitely curious how they deal with it.

lets just hope the series does not pull a aldnoah zero ending in the end.

That would be one supreme disappointment...

Re:Zero being the kind of anime that it is, a terrible ending could ruin a big part of the "road" that led us to it.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

That would be one supreme disappointment...

Re:Zero being the kind of anime that it is, a terrible ending could ruin a big part of the "road" that led us to it.

correct, one slip up and it can become a monster of a series in the same way aldnoah zero season one did.
So i will be holding my judgement off on calling it the best series of the year before it has fully run its course.
Hope it will be, unless ufotable will pull a kara no kyoukai from its magical hat and adapt tsukihime. But i dont see that happening.

@havocWelp, the episode was really cool. I'm also very happy with the outcome of the fight, since some deaths do have meaning, while others could feel gratuitous and nothing more (kind of like some shows thought that Game of Thrones is super cool cuz 'anyone can die' and tried to copy the style by randomly killing people once in a while, which is just idiotic).

39 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

@havocWelp, the episode was really cool. I'm also very happy with the outcome of the fight, since some deaths do have meaning, while others could feel gratuitous and nothing more (kind of like some shows thought that Game of Thrones is super cool cuz 'anyone can die' and tried to copy the style by randomly killing people once in a while, which is just idiotic).

it was indeed a nice episode, and its good to see they went the safe route of just killing the whale.
And while it is nice to see important characters not getting killed needlessly, i can count one use of very very thick plot armour.
Well its okay so long as it is not overused.

And at this point we have a serious love triangle between rem, subaru and emillia. Pretty much like predicted half a dozen episodes back.

2 minutes ago, havoc said:

it was indeed a nice episode, and its good to see they went the safe route of just killing the whale.
And while it is nice to see important characters not getting killed needlessly, i can count one use of very very thick plot armour.
Well its okay so long as it is not overused.

And at this point we have a serious love triangle between rem, subaru and emillia. Pretty much like predicted half a dozen episodes back.

Yeah. Also, considering that the wolf guy just got "kicked", I'm not thaaaat surprised he survived, nor I would call it thick plot armour. He's supposed to be really strong, so getting hit once isn't necessarily a "he should be dead no matter how you see it" kind of situation.

Still, I don't think it would have mattered much if he had lived or not. So, between the 2 options, I'm happier with seeing more of him in the following episodes.

15 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Yeah. Also, considering that the wolf guy just got "kicked", I'm not thaaaat surprised he survived, nor I would call it thick plot armour. He's supposed to be really strong, so getting hit once isn't necessarily a "he should be dead no matter how you see it" kind of situation.

Still, I don't think it would have mattered much if he had lived or not. So, between the 2 options, I'm happier with seeing more of him in the following episodes.

Was actually more talking about wilhelm and getting swallowed/ eaten.

2 minutes ago, havoc said:

Was actually more talking about wilhelm and getting swallowed/ eaten.

Oooh. I'd actually say that's even less of a plot armour case xD

Wilhelm IS strong. Like, bat-shit crazy strong. He was swallowed, not bitten or really attacked in any way. Consequently, why would he just sit and let himself be digested? Someone strong enough to pretty much destroy the Whale in a 1v1.

13 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Oooh. I'd actually say that's even less of a plot armour case xD

Wilhelm IS strong. Like, bat-shit crazy strong. He was swallowed, not bitten or really attacked in any way. Consequently, why would he just sit and let himself be digested? Someone strong enough to pretty much destroy the Whale in a 1v1.

the very fact that he did not get injured when he was swallowed or got is existence erased already counts as plotarmor.
He did not hit any of the teeth, didn't got crushed by the tongue, did not get stuck halfway down the throat and broke a leg or arm, did not drown in the stomach, and did not break anything while the whale was moving around pretty violently, for me that counts a plotarmor on the same level as god yamato.

Also, an interesting read, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-08-19/subaru-natsuki-the-best-and-worst-thing-about-re-zero/.105556

59 minutes ago, havoc said:

the very fact that he did not get injured when he was swallowed or got is existence erased already counts as plotarmor.
He did not hit any of the teeth, didn't got crushed by the tongue, did not get stuck halfway down the throat and broke a leg or arm, did not drown in the stomach, and did not break anything while the whale was moving around pretty violently, for me that counts a plotarmor on the same level as god yamato.

Also, an interesting read, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-08-19/subaru-natsuki-the-best-and-worst-thing-about-re-zero/.105556

The whale does not have row upon row of teeth, so I'd rather call it improbable to get hit by it. We also know that biting is not in its list of "attacks" as seen during the fight, and I doubt it has any predator or "prey" to subsist on, so the Whale is not necessarily an expert in melee fighting apart from using its massive size.

How would he get stuck anywhere, when he's much smaller than the Whale or its mouth? And why would he break anything? Try putting smth fragile in your mouth, like one of those bread sticks that break extremely easily. Put it on top of your tongue and then move as violently as you want. I'm very, very sure the stick is not going to break. Your insides are not a washing machine, you cannot put any real strength into an effort of breaking or smashing smth inside of you.
Or, if you want an even better example, do consider that riding a train does not send you flying through it despite how fast it's moving and "thrashing."

So I'd say that it's not any kind of plot armour. And, like I said, we KNOW that Wilhelm is super strong, so inferring that once inside the Whale, he immediately started trying to get out of it instead of staying put and allowing the Whale, its stomach or whatever to kill him, is not much of a thought strain.

If you consider my explanations far-fetched or excessive, do consider that I'm merely answering the aforementioned "doubts," and not just pulling stuff out of my ass.

Btw, that read is awesome. It also pretty much coincides with everything I think about Re:Zero, and why most complaints about "Subaru suffers too much" or "an otaku hero with flaws is not really that especial" or my favourite "there's not that much impressive character development" are missing the whole key points about the stuff they are criticising.

I finally watched the few latest episodes of Fate 3Rei and wow how did they manage to have such a jump on the storytelling quality between this season and the last 3 season. Toning down the needless fanservice, new characters with new freshness, comedy epically improved I mean I can't stop laughing in the last episode.... Like seriously 

Turning Beatrice into an M who's a full blown otaku with that one idol? I did not see that coming. I almost fall off my chair on that one. Same with Gil's pose when Illya disappears. It's even better when he's a naked shota. I feel like the show turned into a shotacon and lolicon paradise without actually being bad. 

Also Under the Dog is a waste of money. That amount of potential with nearly non-existent storytelling. Thank God I didn't back the bloody thing when it was still in Kickstarter. Saving anime my foot... At the very least the action is greatly animated and executed.

With 5 episodes left and Sorey only finally about to reach Edna, I have no idea how rushed the rest of this Zestiria will go. Oh well looks like I just have to look forward in to the action. I'm guessing they have to cut a lot of parts...

I swear if those 2 Berseria episodes are there for the sake of advertisement and not actually linked with Zestiria in any form or way on the rest of the series I will be so damn salty.

55 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I think we should close this thread, if really the only thing people talk about here is Re;Zero, and especially if you decide to spoil the shit out of it like you own the forum. 

Your :salt: is showing up again :holo:

7 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I think we should close this thread, if really the only thing people talk about here is Re;Zero, and especially if you decide to spoil the shit out of it like you own the forum. 

I thought we had made it very clear that this is Re:Zero discussion + some other minor things, and that we do own the forum.

8 hours ago, Jibril said:

I finally watched the few latest episodes of Fate 3Rei and wow how did they manage to have such a jump on the storytelling quality between this season and the last 3 season. Toning down the needless fanservice, new characters with new freshness, comedy epically improved I mean I can't stop laughing in the last episode.... Like seriously 

Reveal hidden contents

Turning Beatrice into an M who's a full blown otaku with that one idol? I did not see that coming. I almost fall off my chair on that one. Same with Gil's pose when Illya disappears. It's even better when he's a naked shota. I feel like the show turned into a shotacon and lolicon paradise without actually being bad. 

Also Under the Dog is a waste of money. That amount of potential with nearly non-existent storytelling. Thank God I didn't back the bloody thing when it was still in Kickstarter. Saving anime my foot... At the very least the action is greatly animated and executed.

With 5 episodes left and Sorey only finally about to reach Edna, I have no idea how rushed the rest of this Zestiria will go. Oh well looks like I just have to look forward in to the action. I'm guessing they have to cut a lot of parts...

Reveal hidden contents

I swear if those 2 Berseria episodes are there for the sake of advertisement and not actually linked with Zestiria in any form or way on the rest of the series I will be so damn salty.

Your :salt: is showing up again :holo:

My saltness to spoilers you mean? :holo: 

Ah yes. I just realized it's 4 episodes left of Re Zero and honestly I don't know how they're going to end it. It's painfully obvious the WN has enough content for another 4-cour but the LN only reached volume 8 with 9 being scheduled for September.... Cliffhanger? I hope not, it would be terrible. Original end is too risky for a ret-con and open end would seem to be underwhelming.... Oh well it looks like we just have to wait and see.

17 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Just, you could respect people over here, and not spoil without spoiler tag, but what do i expect from you Jibril. 

Other than that, as long as you use spoiler tags, feel free to do anything you want.

Expect me to always mine the :salt: out of you and make millions off it duh :makina:

What? why would i even hate an anime i like? :holo:

What i see is you're trying to avoid the question, mostly because you know i'm right, but meh, if it can please you ego, no problem.

so, you agree that spoilers are totally legit without any spoiler tag? Cause if so, let's spoil everything!