Re:zero discussion (and some other non important Summer 2016 anime)

Nosebleed

1 minute ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Not really, i just happen to dislike the Re;Zero fandom, like the steins;gate fandom, the sword art fandom, the evangelion fandom....etc it's more of a philosophy of life, rather than anything, and here you're just trying to do an interpretation of what i say, being called hipster....Hahahaha, muhahahahahaha!

But yes, i don't find Re;Zero perfect, like i don't find steins;gate perfect, like evangelion isn't perfect, like Madoka isn't perfect, is that a problem in itself? you have whatever right you want to love and glorify Re;Zero (and i'm quite surprised, characters like subaru are generally hated) so it's good.

Uhm... not to burst your bubble, but what you just described is a 99% accurate step-by-step description of hypster hate against fandoms. Utter and irrational hate for people who are passionate about stuff you are not.

Btw, the main reason I love Subaru is cuz I hate him. Or rather, because his character is one that's very hateable because pretty much as he himself knows and says, he's a fucking scumbag. Isekai shows tend to glorify these characters, their personality being for flavour and not having a real impact, while Re:Zero made a case of slapping really hard the face of anyone who self-inserted on the "I'm thoroughly useless but if I went to another world, I'd be a hero of a story!"

Perfection? Sure, we cannot find it cuz there's no such thing if we take into account that our opinions and analysis will forever be at least a little bit subjective, since they are ours. That's why shows of 9/10 tend to be called "excellent" which is the top distinction, and then 10/10 is the extra mile, kind of an S rating after letter A, called masterpiece not cuz they are perfect, but because their good overwhelms whatever bad they have (like a 9/10) show but also touch/mark you in a especial way.

29 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Uhm... not to burst your bubble, but what you just described is a 99% accurate step-by-step description of hypster hate against fandoms. Utter and irrational hate for people who are passionate about stuff you are not.

Btw, the main reason I love Subaru is cuz I hate him. Or rather, because his character is one that's very hateable because pretty much as he himself knows and says, he's a fucking scumbag. Isekai shows tend to glorify these characters, their personality being for flavour and not having a real impact, while Re:Zero made a case of slapping really hard the face of anyone who self-inserted on the "I'm thoroughly useless but if I went to another world, I'd be a hero of a story!"

Perfection? Sure, we cannot find it cuz there's no such thing if we take into account that our opinions and analysis will forever be at least a little bit subjective, since they are ours. That's why shows of 9/10 tend to be called "excellent" which is the top distinction, and then 10/10 is the extra mile, kind of an S rating after letter A, called masterpiece not cuz they are perfect, but because their good overwhelms whatever bad they have (like a 9/10) show but also touch/mark you in a especial way.

9/10 was my overral note for Re;Zero, if not for what subaru did during chapter 18. 

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I judge her a top waifu for laifu.

Btw, Arslan keeps getting better. Kind of a pity that this week's episode is the last one...

Arslan is my surprise of the season, first season was kind of good, but not that good.

second season is stratospheric, what the fuck happened, why did the show became so good?

I'm not surprised by the complexity of the story, it's one of the most popular book in Japan, and it's author also wrote legend of the galactic heroes. 

13 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Arslan is my surprise of the season, first season was kind of good, but not that good.

second season is stratospheric, what the fuck happened, why did the show became so good?

I'm not surprised by the complexity of the story, it's one of the most popular book in Japan, and it's author also wrote legend of the galactic heroes. 

I'd say it's cuz the first season was good... but mostly towards the end. It was 25 episodes, but smth like half the entire season was just filler that wasn't too interesting. Then it kept getting better... and S2 has kept the ball rolling. But, with 1 episode left... I'm smelling a cliffhanger, and the exact same as the previous season. Arslan decides to march on the capital with his new army (and money), deciding that the people¡s safety is more important than listening to his father, who will probably rally his troops to destroy him and recapture the capital in the process.

And the anime will end like that, with them on route to the capital.

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Maybe they'll pull a Fullmetal Alchemist and make up a different ending lel.

Nah, they're faithful to the manga, Hiromu is supervising the anime as well, also, both anime and manga are following the book, so i don't think they'll do a Fullmetal. 

I mean, at least the thread title is accurate now, so yay?

Subaru is pretty much just a normal character. At the start, they show him being charming. Then he is faced with problems which are beyond his powers, which forces him to mature and develops his character, after which he finds a solution to them. He goes through several mental breakdowns before he matures, but really, it's just a very normal development path. He's not even really down into the hetare protagonist type, since he does have several things going for him.

If the little guy was drawn as a moe grill I'm sure a lot of the people hating him would be rooting for him instead, lol. 

2 hours ago, Kaguya said:

I mean, at least the thread title is accurate now, so yay?

Subaru is pretty much just a normal character. At the start, they show him being charming. Then he is faced with problems which are beyond his powers, which forces him to mature and develops his character, after which he finds a solution to them. He goes through several mental breakdowns before he matures, but really, it's just a very normal development path. He's not even really down into the hetare protagonist type, since he does have several things going for him.

If the little guy was drawn as a moe grill I'm sure a lot of the people hating him would be rooting for him instead, lol. 

That is precisely not normal development. Most shows don't really put the time and effort to make their characters grow meaningfully. They do grow and mature, but usually along the plot and by getting over the complications they find.

Subaru is not exactly growing as a person. He's starting to be a person, after living a worthless life as a meaningless person. His development, ups and downs, and such thorough the series have been so much the talk of the anime community because very little series offer anything even similar to it. He isn't over his problems in 2 episodes, but this is also not a coming of age kind of anime, so it doesn't take him the whole anime, either (although, in a sense, you could argue that it has taken him 18 episodes). Subaru gets punished more than once due to his personality failings not cuz he's growing up, but simply... because. If you mess up, you mess up. You reap what you say. His failings and consequences feel very real, instead of a "Subaru was a NEET, he's becoming a hero now" from episode 1.

4 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

That is precisely not normal development. Most shows don't really put the time and effort to make their characters grow meaningfully. They do grow and mature, but usually along the plot and by getting over the complications they find.

Subaru is not exactly growing as a person. He's starting to be a person, after living a worthless life as a meaningless person. His development, ups and downs, and such thorough the series have been so much the talk of the anime community because very little series offer anything even similar to it. He isn't over his problems in 2 episodes, but this is also not a coming of age kind of anime, so it doesn't take him the whole anime, either (although, in a sense, you could argue that it has taken him 18 episodes). Subaru gets punished more than once due to his personality failings not cuz he's growing up, but simply... because. If you mess up, you mess up. You reap what you say. His failings and consequences feel very real, instead of a "Subaru was a NEET, he's becoming a hero now" from episode 1.

I mean, all it really feels like you're saying with this post is that most anime are garbage and don't manage to develop their characters for shit. And I'd agree, to some extent. 

Re:zero doesn't have the best cast I've seen, but Subaru himself does feel very real, yes. And that's a very good thing, and it's a big part of why I watch the series. Other than him, they also developed Rem well (and I expect they'll do it even better with Emilia by the end of the story, but so far she hasn't had enough time.) 

Still, proper character development feels like a basic for this type of thing. I'm not about to glorify it because we have little of that in this medium. But I'll watch the series to the end, and maybe pick up the LN. So far I'm liking it, anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

I mean, all it really feels like you're saying with this post is that most anime are garbage and don't manage to develop their characters for shit. And I'd agree, to some extent. 

Re:zero doesn't have the best cast I've seen, but Subaru himself does feel very real, yes. And that's a very good thing, and it's a big part of why I watch the series. Other than him, they also developed Rem well (and I expect they'll do it even better with Emilia by the end of the story, but so far she hasn't had enough time.) 

Still, proper character development feels like a basic for this type of thing. I'm not about to glorify it because we have little of that in this medium. But I'll watch the series to the end, and maybe pick up the LN. So far I'm liking it, anyway. 

Well, yes. You can pretty much saythat character development is one of the weakest parts of anime by far. Maybe most studios are run by robots, hence their difficulty with creating humane characters :makina:

I put all of that, the story, pace, animation, music and so on, and Re:Zero easily gets an 8 or 9/10 for me, unless they do some massive fuckup these last 5 episodes.

Uh, JoJo is pretty cool. I like turning my brain off and seeing whatever bizarre stand they have for the next episode. The cinderella thingy was neat. Next up the antagonist will finally show up, after 20 episodes of other random things happening. It's probably my least favorite part, though Stardust Crusaders part 1 also kinda sucked. We'll see. 

....I don't watch other anime, so that's all I got. Normally only pick up one show per season. 

I'm even accepting JoJo.

so, i informed myself about Alderamin in the sky, it seems like the LN goes on some deep shit and some unpredictable plot, but it won't be covered by the anime which is sad.

Will prolly read the LN, cause the anime hooked me up, i mean, who is not into MILFs here? 

I'm a lolicon, so I don't see the appeal of MILFs. Sorry. 

On more anime... 91 days might be really good, but I'll never know, because all the symbolism and unbeliavable coincidences of no consequence but that make for good artistic shots completely break my immersion from that show, and it pissed me off enough that I dropped it. 

1 minute ago, Kaguya said:

I'm a lolicon, so I don't see the appeal of MILFs. Sorry. 

On more anime... 91 days might be really good, but I'll never know, because all the symbolism and unbeliavable coincidences of no consequence but that make for good artistic shots completely break my immersion from that show, and it pissed me off enough that I dropped it. 

It's still better than 90% of new anime this season..... I mean the first 10 minutes of the first episode is some masterpiece worthy intro.