What language should I learn (NOT japanese or chinese!)?

Scorp

1 minute ago, Scorp said:

I am not really want to learn a language to win off women :)

Btw, you really think that if I learn russian I could make money? How?

Well, think of it as a perk 8)

As for the Russian, think of the succulent weapons market.

1 minute ago, Okarin said:

As for the Russian, think of the succulent weapons market.

Succulent weapons market? You want me to sell russian homing missiles right after I learn it? I do not think this is feasible to just come there and tell "so, guys, now you work with me" :) 

6 minutes ago, Scorp said:

I am not really want to learn a language to win off women :)

As I plan to learn without spending money (if possible) on learning language, I suppose it does not matter waste of money. Also as seems no real use would be for me no matter what language I learn, so I do not care if it woud be waste of time or not.

Btw, you really think that if I learn russian I could make money? How?

Intelligence sub-contracting, news translation, English teaching, and book translation (there is actually a good market for Russian philsophical literature and fiction overseas).  Also, Russia is one of the few countries where English isn't a required part of the regular school curriculum.  Also, during periods where the west and Russia aren't glaring at one another, it is one easy way to get employment with an oil distro company from Britain or the US. 

27 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Intelligence sub-contracting, news translation, English teaching, and book translation (there is actually a good market for Russian philsophical literature and fiction overseas).  Also, Russia is one of the few countries where English isn't a part of the regular school curriculum.  Also, during periods where the west and Russia aren't glaring at one another, it is one easy way to get employment with an oil distro company from Britain or the US. 

I do not think anyone could just start teaching, I suppose this requires special certifications even in Russia. Also it would be weird to teach language, which is not your native one. Other things you mentioned seems require lot of efforts for me to make any use (as my field of work is nowhere near translations). Working for an oil distro company looks interesting though, but I also doubt such positions are as easy to get as you tell it here... Thx for recommendations anyway.

Italian is only useful for the classics of literature (Boccaccio, Macchiavelli, Dante, Marco polo ecc.) and operas (Puccini, Verdi ecc..), apart from some movies and a few TV-Series like Romanzo Criminale, there's almost nothing relevant among conteporary productions. Spanish and Portugese at least have the south american telenovelas scene (I doubt anyone here is interested but at least they have something).

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, Okarin said:

the succulent weapons market.

This phrase keeps haunting me. I know it means a succulent market for selling weapons, not a market for selling succulent weapons, but I keep picturing shady cacti dealers speaking Russian.

I apologize for the blatantly off-topic post, but this is the CoC, and I had a pretty strong drink earlier.

Anyway, on the actual topic, I'll throw in a vote for Spanish. There are a vast number of people speaking it across the world, and that number is growing rapidly. And, seemingly more importantly for your goals, there's also a fantastic amount of great literature in Spanish, from Cervantes in the 16th-17th century to recent Nobel prize winner Mario Vargas Llosa, with a whole lot in between, including legends like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Jorge Luis Borges. I'm mostly a novel and short story reader, which reflects in those names I dropped, but poetry is notoriously difficult to translate (which seems to be a relevant consideration as well?), and in that arena Spanish again yields such literary titans as Octavio Paz.