Spring 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

54 minutes ago, Jibril said:

Other than that ending, it's a tad boring episode for Re Zero.... Well I can understand the slow pacing quite a bit but....

Reveal hidden contents

stretching another same loop into another episode and not revealing anything about the assailant is a bit pointless.... well the death scene was awesome nonetheless. I'm hoping some scenes in this episode that stood out a little bit is important for the twists later on because it looks very intentionally done as a foreshadowing and character revelations, otherwise there's a lot of unnecessary content here.

Oh yeah we finally got a proper ED scene! Been waiting forever.... It's a pretty one too.

As someone who fell for the temptation, I'll just tell you that

There are some important things, yes. And it's also important that we didn't see yet who the assailant's face yet

This week of Re:Zero reminded me for another week a huge thing I love about this series: THE CHARACTERS. I love Subaru's personality when dealing with other people, his nonchalantness, gaginess, and just everything. I love that Emilia isn't a tsundere, isn't deredere, she's just... human feeling. She's just a normal person with normal reactions, nothing overthetop, 100% entirely pleasant to have on screen. Both Ram and Rem were developed greatly this week, and previously Felt as well (just a note, MAL only saying "A petty theif" and nothing else, I feel is really selling her short). 

Seriously, the moments with the characters drive this show even when the plot doesn't seem to be progressing all that much, it's just a great feel all in all regardless of all the fluff. And those comedic moments

oCWCy.jpg

oCXYJ.jpg

Then the last bit of the episode

I accidentally opened the spoiler tag above while the credits were playing to find out there was a death scene after the credits, but it was totally not what I was expecting. I really don't know what's going on, which is a good thing in this story so far. It keeps it really interesting, and I'm hoping we get a plot boost next week, since I don't think MC wants to go 3 for 3 with deaths that easily. Not much to say about the last minutes because they don't give us much to go on other than that gruesome death.

I really love this anime as of 5 episodes in, easily my favorite this season, no competition. 

18 minutes ago, Ceris said:

I really love this anime as of 5 episodes in, easily my favorite this season, no competition.

Removed from spoiler tag since it's no spoiler, but I'd have to agree it's one of the best. Not sure on the no competition though when you factor in Kabaneri which has also been great. The real test is to see if they can both maintain intrigue to the end instead of falling over as other shows have done. So far so good for both of these shows but it's too early to tell.

At least after episode 5 we get the answer to the question of

Spoiler

what triggers a reset. It's at least implied by now that it universally involves death, though the mechanism of his prior reset/death remains unknown.

22 minutes ago, Ceris said:

This week of Re:Zero reminded me for another week a huge thing I love about this series: THE CHARACTERS. I love Subaru's personality when dealing with other people, his nonchalantness, gaginess, and just everything. I love that Emilia isn't a tsundere, isn't deredere, she's just... human feeling. She's just a normal person with normal reactions, nothing overthetop, 100% entirely pleasant to have on screen. Both Ram and Rem were developed greatly this week, and previously Felt as well (just a note, MAL only saying "A petty theif" and nothing else, I feel is really selling her short). 

Seriously, the moments with the characters drive this show even when the plot doesn't seem to be progressing all that much, it's just a great feel all in all regardless of all the fluff. And those comedic moments

Hide contents

oCWCy.jpg

oCXYJ.jpg

Then the last bit of the episode

Hide contents

I accidentally opened the spoiler tag above while the credits were playing to find out there was a death scene after the credits, but it was totally not what I was expecting. I really don't know what's going on, which is a good thing in this story so far. It keeps it really interesting, and I'm hoping we get a plot boost next week, since I don't think MC wants to go 3 for 3 with deaths that easily. Not much to say about the last minutes because they don't give us much to go on other than that gruesome death.

I wanna see your face after the next 1-2 episodes of Re:Zero hit us :holo:

1 minute ago, ittaku said:

Removed from spoiler tag since it's no spoiler, but I'd have to agree it's one of the best. Not sure on the no competition though when you factor in Kabaneri which has also been great. The real test is to see if they can both maintain intrigue to the end instead of falling over as other shows have done. So far so good for both of these shows but it's too early to tell.

At least after episode 5 we get the answer to the question of

Reveal hidden contents

what triggers a reset. It's at least implied by now that it universally involves death, though the mechanism of his prior reset/death remains unknown.

Had some spoiler tag mess that I fixed up. Anyway

The MC already assumed it's death, and the more times it happens the more it's being reinforced. It's just a positive feedback loop.

3 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I wanna see your face after the next 1-2 episodes of Re:Zero hit us :holo:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :sachi: 

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

As someone who fell for the temptation, I'll just tell you that

Reveal hidden contents

There are some important things, yes. And it's also important that we didn't see yet who the assailant's face yet

Yeah as I expected. Honestly it's pretty obvious that the murderer is 

Rem. This is due to so many hints like her smiling when he said he likes demons (implying Rem is either an actual non-human or has been living as a demon), the scene where Ram increase her voice a very bit at the garden inquiring how Rem is annoyed at Subaru's hair (implying Subaru is the target), which leads to Ram saying "her hands would take her to paradise" in which this case meant literally Rem killing Subaru. And from episode 4, we can see that Ram is the "leader" in which she tells Rem what to do (from the scene with her and Roswaal). The only thing I haven't figured would be the motive but I'm guessing it's based on the politics around Emilia, or it has something to do with the dog. Oh I guess with how the episode opens with Subaru emotional condition in shambles knowing he's in another loop, I won't be surprised if he has a breakdown in the next episode after being killed horribly again.

9 hours ago, Jibril said:

Yeah as I expected. Honestly it's pretty obvious that the murderer is 

Hide contents

Rem. This is due to so many hints like her smiling when he said he likes demons (implying Rem is either an actual non-human or has been living as a demon), the scene where Ram increase her voice a very bit at the garden inquiring how Rem is annoyed at Subaru's hair (implying Subaru is the target), which leads to Ram saying "her hands would take her to paradise" in which this case meant literally Rem killing Subaru. And from episode 4, we can see that Ram is the "leader" in which she tells Rem what to do (from the scene with her and Roswaal). The only thing I haven't figured would be the motive but I'm guessing it's based on the politics around Emilia, or it has something to do with the dog. Oh I guess with how the episode opens with Subaru emotional condition in shambles knowing he's in another loop, I won't be surprised if he has a breakdown in the next episode after being killed horribly again.

You are somewhat close, and knowing that (the first thing you say) won't actually spoil you that much due to how insane the loop is gonna get in the next episodes. You'll see, it's quite interesting! And the manga was barely ahead of the anime, so I actually know absolutely nothing except about the next 2, maybe 3 episodes. So, we are all in for a ride!

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

You are somewhat close, and knowing that (the first thing you say) won't actually spoil you that much due to how insane the loop is gonna get in the next episodes. You'll see, it's quite interesting! And the manga was barely ahead of the anime, so I actually know absolutely nothing except about the next 2, maybe 3 episodes. So, we are all in for a ride!

Your comment implied that no fans are translating the LN of this amazing series.... in which I checked.... and someone did it, for a month before the anime aired then Yen Press decided to license it. Wew looks like people who likes to give in to temptation won't be able to know future episodes without knowing how to read Japanese.

.....or maybe I could search for the raws and gets spoiled from the illustrations....

In either case, I'm really looking forward to this series now after discovering that both Silver Link and J.C. Staff are also helping in the production with White Fox. I know that the so called masters of adaptation won't disappoint me this time around, so I guess it's time to raise the expectations bar even higher! 

Pleasedontmessuppleasedontmessuppleasedontmessuppleasedontmessuppleasedontmessuppleasedontmessup

42 minutes ago, havoc said:

Another great episode of kabaneri, it really might turn out to be the best series of the season.

Agreed. Things are starting to fall into logical place kind of predictably but not in a bad way. The execution is excellent.

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Agreed. Things are starting to fall into logical place kind of predictably but not in a bad way. The execution is excellent.

true, and the pacing is also quite well done, so far it has struck a good balance between action and rest.

And personally i prefer mildly predicable to unpredictable, as those shows tend to suffer from absolutely horrendous pacing issues.

Just now, havoc said:

And personally i prefer mildly predicable to unpredictable, as those shows tend to suffer from absolutely horrendous pacing issues.

Absolutely. The worst shows bring random inexplicable plot devices in at random intervals to explain things away that you can never even see making sense in retrospect. That's the usual sign of bad writing and there are thousands of shows that fit into that category... this season included.

Yeah to all of that. This show is basically the SnK team absolving themselves of having made a pretty mediocre shonen, by making another anime that's still kinda predictable, but far more mature and of quality.

It's nice that Mumei being badass doesn't make Ikoma a sobbing emo teen.

This week's episode of Re:Zero makes me think that the MC's power maybe comes from the Dragon? It's the beast's way of trying to fix the shit that's going on in the country, since the royal line has died and all that. Also:

IT'S ALWAYS THE BUTLER (or, well, maid, in this case)

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

This week's episode of Re:Zero makes me think that the MC's power maybe comes from the Dragon? It's the beast's way of trying to fix the shit that's going on in the country, since the royal line has died and all that. Also:

Hide contents

IT'S ALWAYS THE BUTLER (or, well, maid, in this case)

Why is it always the butler?

43 minutes ago, Jibril said:

Hah! I called it!

Man this episode is filled with symbolism especially that red and blue ogre fairytale. Literal representations....

Also did anyone notice this? It startled me a bit and had to rewind to see it clearly.

Reveal hidden contents

1462737844-i-see-you.png

Told you, boy ;D

2 hours ago, Jibril said:

Hah! I called it!

Man this episode is filled with symbolism especially that red and blue ogre fairytale. Literal representations....

Also did anyone notice this? It startled me a bit and had to rewind to see it clearly.

Reveal hidden contents

1462737844-i-see-you.png

Wha- How did I miss something that obvious?

4 hours ago, Jibril said:

Hah! I called it!

Reveal hidden contents

1462737844-i-see-you.png

My mind, blown.

11 hours ago, Jibril said:

Hah! I called it!

Reveal hidden contents

1462737844-i-see-you.png

I think you're seeing something different than you think you're seeing there. To me it's just

Spoiler

A reflection of the one he's talking to. It's not her sister. The hair is pink after all in the reflection and you see her reflection up close later on compared to that screenshot you have.

10 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I think you're seeing something different than you think you're seeing there. To me it's just

Reveal hidden contents

A reflection of the one he's talking to. It's not her sister. The hair is pink after all in the reflection and you see her reflection up close later on compared to that screenshot you have.

Which is not only represent Ram but also represent Rem. The reflection is also on the middle window at the left side where the left window represent Ram and the right represent Rem. When Subaru finished the "Then the villagers will be sure to trust you", the shot re-focus to Ram's expression that's reflected which also doubles as her sister, Rem's possible expression when hearing the story, which symbolizes she's the demon that befriends humans while Rem did not and thus she's "trapped" behind the window unable to converse with the human (Subaru). The scene was quickly followed by a shot of the sky where it's clearly divided into blue and red with the red sky having a lot of birds while the blue sky has only one. You can already know what this one represents.

God I swear I'm reading into this episode too much otherwise the directing is arguably on a masterpiece level.