about ef series

Silvz

How do I play it? There are 'first tale', 'latter tale' and tale of the two, but VNDB doesn't relate them to eachother, which makes me think they are :

2 different games with no relations at all

The tale of the two is just  a version that contains the two previous games, making it a "definite" version. Is that correct?

first minori released the "first tale" then "latter tale" which are the same game same story but they were released in 2 parts for some reason (is like grabbing a game and cutting it into a half, they prob did it for a budget reason), after that they released "ef a fairy tale of two" which contains both games in one so you should play that one (no name loser or mangagamer if you find it) or just buy both of them from mangagamer because right now they are not selling a fairy tale of two anymore.

Whatever you play will be the same aka  first tale+latter tale or a fairy tale of two. 

They're both in the same VN entry on VNDB. Think of it like a higurashi or umineko sort of situation, where they are two chapters in the same story, and thus are identified as a single VN where its constituent parts were sold separately. 

The version you want is definitely MangaGamer's version. They sell the two separately and unfortunately it's pretty expensive.

Looks like I also need to nitpick some typo on the thread title here too. It should be write Series, not Sceries (And this week it was my 2nd time lol).

Anyway, I think the answer from Decay and Deep Blue should be enough, but let me elaborate more on Decay word. Even though Fairy Tale of Two was combined between First Tale and Latter Tale also available from fan patched version and available in single bundle, I'd recommended Mangagamer version even though the size was quite big (2.4 GB for fan patched version vs 5.5 GB for Mangagamer version), because one very simple difference. Fan patched version was somehow managed to screw the program by removing ef Extra menu, while Mangagamer version managed to recover it. I think that's all the difference that matter, although if you want to smaller size and didn't care about extra menu like in usual VN, go for fan translated version, otherwise it was the same in both version.

30 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

I'd recommended Mangagamer version even though the size was quite big (2.4 GB for fan patched version vs 5.5 GB for Mangagamer version), because one very simple difference. Fan patched version was somehow managed to screw the program by removing ef Extra menu, while Mangagamer version managed to recover it. I think that's all the difference that matter, although if you want to smaller size and didn't care about extra menu like in usual VN, go for fan translated version, otherwise it was the same in both version.

You're forgetting the greatly reduced mosaics.

mangagamer uses the no name translation right? which I think it's pretty bad, they had this "thing"  of using very rude language even when it didnt make any sense almost ruining the dialogues...for example Hiro at the beginning (when they first met) will call Miyako "bitch" "that crazy bitch" "what a bitch" etc etc ALL THE TIME and it doesnt fit into the story nor in his character he is not rude towards her and he never insults her even once... so yeah if the mangagamer has another translation go for that one and like littleshogun said it has the extra content and it doesnt go nuts (like crash or not being able to play it again) when you turn the voices off (I remember this being an issue too)

He doesn't use that language at all in the MangaGamer version, from what I can remember. They edited the translation quite a bit. Supposedly NNL also removed some lines entirely from the fan TL that were restored in the MG version. NNL liked making large creative changes to the games they were translating, in their words they removed like a quarter of Wind's lines when they translated that, supposedly to cut down on redundancy. Lo-and-behold, the finished product had shit pacing. MG version of ef is true to the original.

well then mangagamer is the version to pick without a doubt, don't even consider NNL. 
At that time(It was one of my first vns) my Japanese was really really bad and I already knew that some lines were way off, I mean Hiro was talking and calling her bitch like if it was her name :unsure: and then at some point it stopped and talked normally, I don't want to imagine what I missed or what they changed... even so it was an amazing story (and I don't want to read it again :P

6 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Looks like I also need to nitpick some typo on the thread title here too. It should be write Series, not Sceries (And this week it was my 2nd time lol).

Wow, I didn't notice that, it is funny because I know how to write it, I just got confused

Did MG re-translate everything?