Stardew Valley is amazing

Mugi

54 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

It's good fun, the combat mechanics aren't amazing but they're passable (though so far there's even less to the combat mechanics in Stardew Valley, at least Recettear has several classes and each one has a few different abilities), and you'll be spending more time haggling with customers than you will be dungeon crawling anyway. Squeezing every penny out of people without getting them pissed off is surprisingly fun. :mare:

There is literally nothing more to the combat in Stardew Valley than was experienced the first time you killed a slime. Swing your sword, don't get hit, repeat. Nonetheless, it compels us, it does.

It was really the "arrange the display of your goods and sell them" aspect that had be interested in Recettear. I'm weird. But it sounds like you are, too, and there's a person dedicated enough to that particular weirdness to make en entire game about it, so I guess it's ok. So thanks for the info, I'll definitely give it a try, one of these days.

53 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

There is literally nothing more to the combat in Stardew Valley than was experienced the first time you killed a slime. Swing your sword, don't get hit, repeat. Nonetheless, it compels us, it does.

It was really the "arrange the display of your goods and sell them" aspect that had be interested in Recettear. I'm weird. But it sounds like you are, too, and there's a person dedicated enough to that particular weirdness to make en entire game about it, so I guess it's ok. So thanks for the info, I'll definitely give it a try, one of these days.

Yeah, the store management aspect is definitely the main draw of Recettear, you stock the store by either buying from the general store and reselling (generally people won't pay as much for stuff from you but every now and then different kinds of items either go up or down in price so you can buy low and sell high), getting loot from the dungeon, and sometimes buying from customers. There's also a time-management aspect to it that's kinda similar to Stardew Valley but it's turn-based rather than real-time, so once you go to the dungeon a certain amount of time passes regardless of how long you were farming. It does have a fail condition though, you need to pay back a debt in increasing chunks over 5 weeks, but once that's out of the way you can just do whatever. There are a few more interesting things such as the way you decorate your shop influencing which customers stop by more often and items near windows selling more often.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/more-music-mod.107929/

Thought this was pretty neat, definitely recommend it.

You can also make your dog Red XIII from FF7 http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/dog-replacement-nanaki-red-xiii-from-final-fantasy-7.108073/

Or make your cat Sans from Undertale http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/cat-replacement-sans-from-undertale.107989/

I'm amazed at how many mods are already out there.

So, mods seem to fit into three buckets so far: art replacements, quality-of-life, and crops. The first two are kind of nice, and the last is rather interesting, but what I'd really like to see is mods that add substantial content. Could you, for instance, make a new event or festival as a mod? How about adding a new character? If something like that came along I'd be all over it, but I don't know if that's even possible (obviously even if it is it'd be a lot of work, but I just wonder if it's possible).

I assume it's possible, but yeah it would take a ton of work. I think you'd basically have to pick a random day where nothing significant happens and go from there. We'll just have to see, though. With how many mods there are already with the game being as new as it is, I have no doubt we'll see something like that at some point. And remember, CA plans on adding more content to the game once multiplayer is implemented, so there's that too. 

Oh man, that's brilliant. I might even try that one out. Though sadly I still haven't bought a horse, despite now having mountains of cash on hand - I was actually going to buy the stable last time I played, but it turns out I'm short of iron bars :amane:. Well, maybe next time I play I'll go grind out the requisite ore.

Just a brief status summary:

- I'm now halfway through summer in the second year, married to Abigail, with a kid on the way. Marriage is clearly supposed to be a perk, but literally the most Abigail ever does for me is either hand me a piece of bread, or to fill my cat's water bowl. She waters crops, but all my crops are on sprinklers. She feeds animals, but my barn and coop are fully upgraded so they're on an autofeeder. It makes me a little sad every time she tells me about how she was helpful.

- I'll be able to finish the last community center bundle on the 3rd of fall - I screwed up my apple tree on my first year through (by hoeing the tiles around it to keep it clear... ugh), so despite my planting it in early summer, it didn't grow up until early winter. At any rate, once I have them apples, I'll go hand them in and find out what happens when you finish revitalizing the whole community center.

- You can actually tell by looking at my farm that it was kind of planned out, which is a huge improvement over every past season - the whole thing is on sprinklers, of course (mostly still the medium tier). I'm still only using about 1/3 of the land - there's just no motivation for me to use the rest, especially since money is no object for me at the moment. The rest of the farm all just grows grass. I suppose I could put another barn over there or something to consume more grass, but it really annoys me to have to spend time maintaining animals every day, so I've actually sold off most of the ones I had.

- I have about 14 of kegs constantly in use - selling starfruit wine is still ludicrously profitable.

- Just pulled in my first legendary fish, from the ocean. I'll probably go for the one in the sewer next time I play.

- Still only level 8 fishing, level 9 mining, and level 9 combat. Foraging and farming are both level 10.

- Iridium is still a pain in the ass.

Very nice! Makes me want to try my hand at modding.

One thing I've been itching to look at is seeing whether you can replace a character's dialog. If I could go do that, given that I did name my character Ness and his farm Onett Farm, maybe I could replace Shane's sprite, portrait, and dialog, and turn him into a Happy Happy Cultist. Naturally, I'd also have to go into his likes/dislikes preferences and adjust them so he only likes blue things.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

Very nice! Makes me want to try my hand at modding.

One thing I've been itching to look at is seeing whether you can replace a character's dialog. If I could go do that, given that I did name my character Ness and his farm Onett Farm, maybe I could replace Shane's sprite, portrait, and dialog, and turn him into a Happy Happy Cultist. Naturally, I'd also have to go into his likes/dislikes preferences and adjust them so he only likes blue things.

It's pretty simple if you do it the straightforward way of editing files. The downside of that of course is that if you want several different mods that edit the same file you're in a bit of a pickle. Dunno how much more difficult it is to make a proper mod that will just modify the part of the file it needs because I haven't tried it, but if you're just making something for yourself the former method should suffice.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WCfeO

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-list-modding-guides-and-general-modding-discussion.106868/

The first link is handy for unpacking the files, the second one has a bunch of guides for how to actually change stuff. The first guide (Modder's Guide by Alpha_Omegasis) is the only one I've looked at so far, and I didn't look at much besides the photo edit section but there is definitely a section for dialogue. I would imagine there's also a file containing characters' likes and dislikes.

What I'd like to do next is replace the dog with a schipperke and the horse with a husky since I already named them Belka and Strelka respectively, but animated sprites of animals might be a bit outside of what I can manage to pull off. :/

Man, this is some bullshit.

Why is Pierre even allowed to take part in that Valley Fair display thing, never mind win it? He's the only participant who didn't actually grow/make/catch the stuff he displayed. He's a fucking merchant, he bought it and arranged it. Big fucking deal. I bet some of the stuff he used is mine. :conspiracy:

Mayor Lewis must be on the take if he allows such blatant crap to pass. Fuck it, I'm joining Joja.

This damn homophobic game... we submitted adoption papers but never got a kid, so now we have to try again :conspiracy:

Also I wish getting married was as easy IRL, just follow a chick around giving her 2 salads a week (any more and you'll seem creepy) then propose after a few months of that.

I think I have this whole money thing figured out

7wGIBpr.png

19 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Crap, there's a new competitor for Onett Starfruit Winery. You certainly have me beat on volume.

Don't worry, once my Ancient Seeds multiply to the point where I can fill all 116 greenhouse slots with them, I'll leave you to your monopoly. Ancient Seed Wine only sells for 3375 as opposed to Starfruit Wine which sells for 3600, but Ancient Seeds can be harvested every 8 days instead of 13 and don't need to be replanted. :mare:

Iiinteresting. I haven't been hitting up the peddler enough, and the couple times she had Ancient Seeds I was out of money (probably because I was burning so much cash on Starfruit seeds at the time...). I guess you're using the seed harvesting thing to make more? It didn't even cross my mind, but now I'll definitely do that with some of the rare fruit from my fall harvest and then start greenhousing it, so I can at least hit the mark of shipping 15 of them (I only had 5 rare seeds which I'd saved up for when the second fall rolled around).

Iridium remains the most annoying thing, by a long shot. But I made an iridium ring anyway, because it glows and it's a magnet and it makes me deal more damage; gotta gear up, y'know?

5 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Iiinteresting. I haven't been hitting up the peddler enough, and the couple times she had Ancient Seeds I was out of money (probably because I was burning so much cash on Starfruit seeds at the time...). I guess you're using the seed harvesting thing to make more? It didn't even cross my mind, but now I'll definitely do that with some of the rare fruit from my fall harvest and then start greenhousing it, so I can at least hit the mark of shipping 15 of them (I only had 5 rare seeds which I'd saved up for when the second fall rolled around).

Iridium remains the most annoying thing, by a long shot. But I made an iridium ring anyway, because it glows and it's a magnet and it makes me deal more damage; gotta gear up, y'know?

Yeah, I started with just 3, after a season of growing and 2 of harvesting I have 33 growing in my greenhouse right now since each Ancient Fruit gives ~2 seeds with the Seed Maker.

Have you started Year 3 yet? If you do a good enough job on your farm over the first two years your Iridium problem basically gets solved for you.

19 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Have you started Year 3 yet? If you do a good enough job on your farm over the first two years your Iridium problem basically gets solved for you.

No. I slowed down a lot after the first week of playing, and I'm only playing around 5 in-game days per day at this point, so I'm still in fall of year 2. ... I accidentally read a spoiler for what you're talking about, and was wondering about that.

The patch notes a while back mentioned the meteorite event, which seemed to fit altogether too well with iridium being the last metal. Coupled with the epitaph on Grandpa's shrine, I've been kind of expecting that event on day 1 of year 3's spring. Dunno if I'm right or not, but, well, seems pretty likely now

:miyako:

At any rate, thanks for confirming that I can start fretting a little bit less about iridium. Given where I am, I'm pretty sure the game is going to judge me worthy.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

No. I slowed down a lot after the first week of playing, and I'm only playing around 5 in-game days per day at this point, so I'm still in fall of year 2. ... I accidentally read a spoiler for what you're talking about, and was wondering about that.

Hidden Content

At any rate, thanks for confirming that I can start fretting a little bit less about iridium. Given where I am, I'm pretty sure the game is going to judge me worthy.

Nah, it's not quite that, though it obviously does have to do with Grandpa's shrine. You'll see when you get there. (assuming you are worthy) ;)

Like I said, games like this are an addiction for me

0sgnl2R.png

11 hours ago, Valmore said:

It looks like Legend of Zelda from the Super Nintendo days of the 90's.

That's roughly the intention of the pixel art style - it's probably more about evoking nostalgia than anything else, but I have to admit, it appeals to me. The character portraits are vastly more detailed than you'd see in most old games using that style and that level of detail for everything else, though. Chrono Trigger's character portraits are, IMO, actually even more detailed than these, but that's kind of generally true of that game - it was pushing the limits of the style, whereas this game is firmly embracing them.